roger banks instrumental

Mike

• Replies 14
  • Views 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

From what I can remember, it was the Kentones (or Kentits?) - first played by Pat Brady at Stafford, circa-1985, covered up as "Now You've Got Me Baby" by Stanley Mitchell. Then played by Dave Thorley & Gary Spencer during the late '80s, and Roger Banks from then on. There are about 2 or 3 acetates, with no credits apart for the group name on at least one copy (correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Roger's copy has a cutting room label, but absolutely no credits at all).

Pat Brady's Audiodisc copy was sold in 1986 to collector Chris Jones from Harrow, who I believe paid about £200 for it - don't know if Chris has still got it, as I don't think he's been on the scene for a while now!! Incidentally, this copy is the one with the group name handwritten on the Audiodisc label.

Gotta say, it's one of these instrumentals I have always loved, and no telling what I'd do for a copy (apart from prostituting myself!!!).

Gene

Social source share

trying to remember name and group of  instrumental roger banks, only been told 5 times so one more time should knock it in head,  remember being told one of two copies... info and background anyone

Has been discussed elsewhere so i'll post what came about!!

There were 2 slightly different versions of this track, both of which came from John Anderson; The Kontets on an audodisc acetate which was the version Pat Brady played as "Stanley Mitchell" the other one landed with Dave Thorley, I'm presuming this is Roger B's copy. Tis on summat like International Studios Acetate (defo Chicago).

Social source share

I think I'd sell my own nan for a copy of this. Its the best instrumental ever. Its utter rnb madness.

When Roger played it in Prestatyn right about when he played Paulette I thought I was going to fall on my arse and pass out.

Social source share

TO THE GUEST ABOVE WHO TOLD ME TO RIGHT CLICK & SAVE TO HEAR TRACK- THANKS IT WORKED O.K. NOW I'VE HEARD IT WAS THIS NOT BOOTED - OTHER SIDE OF 'PYRAMID' BOOT? I ALWAYS REMEMBERED THIS FROM WARRINGTON PARR HALL NITERS IN MID-80'S AS THE KINETICS.

GRANT

Social source share

Guest 71TRSC

B side to the Pyramid boot is The Michigan Move, Phrenetics Band. Sounds similar but I dont think its the same track

Social source share

B side to the Pyramid boot is The Michigan Move, Phrenetics Band.  Sounds similar but I dont think its the same track

Definately not the same track. Here's a sound file so you can compare (hope Mike doesn't mind too much) ;-)

Social source share

"Michigan Move" comes from a studio tape with something like 19 takes on it as they couldn't get the intro right and one of the guys on the session says "don't know what your getting worked up about it's a shit intro". Studio is out of Detroit, connected to Washpan, Atac or something like that!

Social source share

There must be three copies of this track, whilst speaking to Malcom Worsley (Neighbourhood Soul Club / Blackpool) in November last year I mentioned this track and how its so rare ...he then went away fro a few mins and came back playing it down the phone.

As he was playing FLIPside on December 6th I asked him to bring it along, so he did and sure enough caused a riot on the dancefloor with it. His was also acetate with very little info on it. He told me had gotten it around the time that Roger had got his. He was also shocked at the current asking price for it, as he'd only paid around £200 for his.

Mark Stewart

FLIPside R&B Club

www.flipsideclub.co.uk

info@filpsideclub.co.uk

Next Niter May 1st 9pm till 7am

Kym Fuller, Mace, Ciro, Chris McBride, Horse, Ted & Nashee, Joe Dutton,

Mark Stewart, Pete Shuttleworth

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!