Help On Fixing An Edge Crack

I've had a copy of a track for ages with an edge crack about 1/2 a cm inwards, and it seems that the record is seldom seen. (It's Almeta Latimer 'Tobaco Road' on De-Vel if anyone's interested!)

And it clicks - lightly, but still noticeable.

I'm not precious about keeping the b-side, but does anyone have any permanent fixes for edge cracks? Everything I've tried so far has only gone as far to take a loud click, to a just noticeable one. Cheers.

Social source share

• Replies 15
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I've had a copy of a track for ages with an edge crack about 1/2 a cm inwards, and it seems that the record is seldom seen. (It's Almeta Latimer 'Tobaco Road' on De-Vel if anyone's interested!)

And it clicks - lightly, but still noticeable.

I'm not precious about keeping the b-side, but does anyone have any permanent fixes for edge cracks? Everything I've tried so far has only gone as far to take a loud click, to a just noticeable one. Cheers.

link

Bit of nail polish on the b side will stop the crack spreading.

If it's a 70's record I'd recommend a sledgehammer.

Social source share

How you going to smoke it then ?

LOL

Social source share

I remember seeing in a soul fanzine ages ago (can't remember which) a drawing of how to mend a cracked 45.

The recommendation was to cut about two inches off a plastic ruler - the pic showed one of those with a bevelled ridge down the center - and glue it to the B side. :thumbsup:

Never understood why a ruler. Surely an apple or a small dog would have been about as effective.

Sorry - not much help this really is it? :yes:

Godz

Edited by Godzilla
Social source share

I remember seeing in a soul fanzine ages ago  (can't remember which) a drawing of how to mend a cracked 45.

The recommendation was to cut about two inches off a plastic ruler - the pic showed one of those with a bevelled ridge down the center - and glue it to the B side. :yes:

Never understood why a ruler. Surely an apple or a small dog would have been about as effective.

Sorry - not much help this really is it?  :yes:  

Godz

link

Yeah remember that, it was an early Blackbeat & written by Kev Griffin.

(shoulda said Steve G just to get him going :thumbsup: )

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

I remember seeing in a soul fanzine ages ago  (can't remember which) a drawing of how to mend a cracked 45.

The recommendation was to cut about two inches off a plastic ruler - the pic showed one of those with a bevelled ridge down the center - and glue it to the B side. :thumbsup:

Sorry - not much help this really is it?  :yes:  

Godz

link

Or you could stick it onto another record. I was shown a shrine record (something quite rare I think but cannot remember what) that came in two halves that had been fixed like this - maybe it was Nick Brown who showed me it. Surely if the crack makes a click none of these solutions are going to fix that, you need to make the grooves line up again if you can?

Social source share

link

:yes::yes::yes:

nothing wrong with a spread crack :thumbsup:

Social source share

Thanks for your replies.

Has anybody tried the method of gaffer taping the flipside? A mate of mine swears it works, but I'm not too sure.

link

once used blue tavk, but didnt work well as was a bit of a t**t getting 45 out of cover later rolleyes.gif

moved to "tools and tackle" as maybe usefull in future

Social source share

once used blue tavk, but didnt work well as was a bit of a t**t getting 45 out of cover later rolleyes.gif

moved to "tools and tackle" as maybe usefull in future

link

i would quite happyly burn out some stainless steel metal discs for any broken records maybe they could be stuck on th the vinyl some how suggestions on the back of a post card :thumbsup:

Social source share

(You probably can't but them any more, but) a good way to solve the problem is to super glue an old fasioned type of razor blade to the other side;it's very strong but wont 'lift' the record when on the turntable.

link

Bought a copy of Billy Prophet fixed exactly in that way in the late 70's. Played great and never got worse.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert