Nite Owl Leicester,dungeon And Beachcomber Nottingham

Guest malc gibbons

Guest roggert

hi everyone this is the first time i replied to this in 2 years but after almost 40 years i now have a very old mate back in touch hi ya chris farrell of verballing fame in allniter car parks  If only we had seen the famous acts we paid to see instead of gabbling from 1966 onwards if only the wigan  warriors had been to all the really great niters !!!!!!! roggert  1

Social source share

• 1 month later...

There are a few bits about the 60's club scene in Sheffield here ...............

.....   https://jackthatcatwasclean.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/sheffield

A short extract from one of them .............

....... After all I was Mod — which means modern, not a hippie freak, not a nasty greaser, a Mod, a sophistiCAT, at least in my mind that is but nobody seemed to appreciate it or understood it except my weekend mates. Then I had an epiphany ..........

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

A piece from a Leicester newspaper about the fire that destroyed the 'Nite Owl' building ..........

May 28, 1968: A passing motorist reported that the Nite Owl discotheque, on Newarke Street, was on fire. Within minutes, pumps attended. The unoccupied four-storey building was well alight and further pumps were requested, including eight units from Wigston, Syston and Kibworth. Jets were concentrated on the front and rear of the building to stop the fire spreading but the roof and gable end collapsed on to the neighbouring building. The brigade had the fire under control within an hour, using nine hand jets and two turntable ladders.

post-22122-0-54461700-1387536368_thumb.j

• Helpful 1
Social source share

A photo from the Leicester Mercury taken the morning after the fire at the building that housed the Nite Owl ......

If my memory is still holding up, I believe the club area was in the basement (skylights to which can be seen at footpath level).

post-22122-0-40055300-1387882400_thumb.j

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Been a while since I have been on here, don't get chance to play the 'old uns' these days, but this is a playlist from a recent night.

Playlist for Richard Rowley’s birthday, the brief was to play records spun at the Nottingham Soul clubs Dungeon, The Brit, Beachcomber and the Union boat club, from the mid-60s to early 70s.

Sorry they got mixed afterwards, so not in order of play, except for last the one.

The Spellbinders – Help Me

Donald Height – Talk Of the Grapevine.

Small Faces – What You Gonna Do About It.

Flamingos – Boogaloo Party.

James & Bobby Purify – Do unto Me.

The 4 Seasons – Opus 17.

Wilson Pickett – She’s Looking Good.

Chuck Wood – Seven Days Is Too Long.

The Fantastic Johnny C – Hitch It To The Horse.

Jackie Lee – The Duck.

Sly & the Family Stone – Dance To the Music.

The Bandwagon – Breakin’ Down the Walls of Heartache.

Homer Banks – A lot Of Love.

James & Bobby Purify – Shake A Tail Feather.

Soul Brothers Six - She’s Some Kind Of Wonderful.

Inez and Charlie Fox – Tightrope.

Ramsey Lewis – Wade in the Water.

The Esquires – Get On Up.

Sam and Dave - Soothe Me.

Four Tops – Shake Me Wake Me.

Johnny Wyatt – This Thing Called Love.

Jerry Butler – Moody Woman.

The Drifters – At The Club.

JJ Barns – Real Humdinger.

Ben E King – Don’t Play That Song.

Edited by Baz Coops
Social source share

Hiya, just remembering some of my early tunes that I picked  up from my sister- the gloriies-give me my freedom, gene chandler- nothing can stop me, John freds playboy band-Shirley.  Showstoppers etc. only read part of this so far and the  click mentioned was a neighbour of mine in burbage a very well known Leicester fan, talking of which Bournemouth  tonight  ' come on you city slickers. ' cheers 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 11 months later...
Guest roggert
On 12/24/2013 at 10:53, Roburt said:

A photo from the Leicester Mercury taken the morning after the fire at the building that housed the Nite Owl ......

If my memory is still holding up, I believe the club area was in the basement (skylights to which can be seen at footpath level).

post-22122-0-40055300-1387882400_thumb.j

oh so many years go ,the under street level was painted yellow ,robin the dj played boogaloo party 10 times or more .mates from worksop pinched a car from worksop to get there and back ,we ended up next morning in the sheffield city centre smashed and in the bus station then walking to  baileys club on queen street still out of our heads until the pills wore off late sunday ,ffs it over half a century ago!!!

Social source share

1 hour ago, roggert said:

oh so many years go ,the under street level was painted yellow ,robin the dj played boogaloo party 10 times or more .mates from worksop pinched a car from worksop to get there and back ,we ended up next morning in the sheffield city centre smashed and in the bus station then walking to  baileys club on queen street still out of our heads until the pills wore off late sunday ,ffs it over half a century ago!!!

STRANGE SMALL WORLD  ... as we either hitched, caught the train or got a lift down to the Owl from Donny. If we hitched, we went past Clumber Park to Notts & then onto Leicester. If we caught the train, it was via Sheffield. Must have been in the club on the same night at least once .... ALSO, went on to live in Worksop from late 70's.  

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

On 2/20/2011 at 21:21, roggert said:

just been putting a request up to ask if anyone knew radio should have read ALL the posts on here and yes click was an old time verbaliser along with radio also the mini lads from derby big chris, jimmy fahey who won a dance competition at the ike an tina turner niter at the mojo

Edited by Baz Coops
Social source share

• 4 weeks later...
Guest roggert

radio would spend saturdays in sheffield ,he bragged that no one would ever know his real name !when he died in notts then his name was for all to see nearly 5 years ago 

Social source share

• 1 year later...

Hi, since this is about Midlands clubs I would like to include a very famous one from my nearest Town of Burton-on Trent. The famed 76 Club. Not entirely devoted to Soul music by any means but people on hear will have fond memory's of that venue. The list of live acts appearing there over the years is quite outstanding.

As I remember it Friday was "Freaky" night. Saturday was maybe more commercial but included a lot of Soul music. Sunday was the dedicated Soul night with the likes of Carl Dene being the regular DJ.

A book written and published by Rob Cox entitled "Rock This Town" is/was available that covers the clubs history and of course there is a large section dedicated to its coverage of Soul music, I do hope the older members on here can recall some story's regarding this iconic club.

As most will know there was a club every night of the week and weekend where you could have your fill of Soul music

These are some of the places of those times I talk about and remember as a 13yr old in 1970

Rugby Club, Sharpes and Knights Club, Leander Club, Pirelli Club, Henhurst Hill Club and more that I don't remember.

What a great start in life for me, I continue to this day (without tea breaks) still doing this Soul thing and I'm currently writing a book about my trips to Detroit in meeting and spending quality time with the people who created the music of what this Soul Source Forum is all about

Richard "Gilly" Gilbert            X of Willington, Derbyshire.

Social source share

Hi Gilly its Jegger. I remember the 76 club very well and was about 1976 when first went.You went down the little dark entry opposite Bargates then you went through a small door, small bar on the right set back. the room was small with booths down one the side small wooden dance floor with steps to other side,the DJ box and i mean box was next to the dance floor.had many a good night,as you said not dedicated all to soul music but do remember hearing most of the northern sounds of the time and remember a few DJ's of the time being there and if memory serves me right which is debatable these days Spiv was a resident DJ.

let me know when the book is ready.

cheers

Dave

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Strider said:

Hi Gilly its Jegger. I remember the 76 club very well and was about 1976 when first went.You went down the little dark entry opposite Bargates then you went through a small door, small bar on the right set back. the room was small with booths down one the side small wooden dance floor with steps to other side,the DJ box and i mean box was next to the dance floor.had many a good night,as you said not dedicated all to soul music but do remember hearing most of the northern sounds of the time and remember a few DJ's of the time being there and if memory serves me right which is debatable these days Spiv was a resident DJ.

let me know when the book is ready.

cheers

Dave

Don't get confused with the DJ his name was Spike, the smallest DJ in the UK. Having said that I think Spiv who was from Repton also DJ and of course Kev Orton DJ at a very early age, money raised for his vinyl doing a paper round whilst still at school 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 08/11/2008 at 10:15, Guest malc gibbons said:

nobody ever writes about these great 60,s and early 70,s allnighters,i know a lot of people wouldn,t be old enough to have experienced them,but they were truly fantastic venues with live acts like the temptations,four tops,junior walker,ikeand tina turner,charlie and inez fox,jimmy cliff,nina simone,i could go on forever.the list of artists were endless.it would be really good to hear what people think,and especially anybody who went to these brilliant and amazing venues.malc gibbons

are you still around Malc,would like a chat about the clubs.

Social source share

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Not been on this thread recently as you can see, but very interesting that since this thread started and the interest that has been shown we now have 'The 60s Incrowd' nights at the boat club in Nottingham Trentside near to the City Ground, we only play music from the Dungeon and Beachcomber days, we have 4 events per year,and they normally sell out. Next one is this Friday 10th September and then Friday 10th December 2021. See Events or check out our Facebook page 'The 60s Incrowd.

Regards Barry

Edited by Baz Coops
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!