Nite Owl Leicester,dungeon And Beachcomber Nottingham

Guest malc gibbons

Guest johnny Lynn

Anyone Remember Clouds at Derby???.. Montys old stomping ground..I think it It became Cleoes in the 70s...

What happened to the Nottingham group "The Children"

Looking Forward to your post ...

T.C.B. JOHNNY LYNN

Social source share

Guest roggert

Anyone Remember Clouds at Derby???.. Montys old stomping ground..I think it It became Cleoes in the 70s...

What happened to the Nottingham group "The Children"

Looking Forward to your post ...

T.C.B. JOHNNY LYNN

clouds a name i forgot being old now ,radios death was told to me by sue lymer as she was in the 70s blue orchid to sams wigan and all, john metcalfe works at sheffield dog track and knows where terry bramley an sam his wife live ,i' ll let you and sue know when i get off my arse an visit him

Edited by roggert
Social source share

I remember seeing The Showstoppers & Jnr Walker @ the beechcomber in the late 60's,also does anyone remember the allnighters @ the Sherwood Rooms 68/69 ? I think there was 6 @ Bank Holidays with Inez & Charlie Foxx, I still have a photo of them on stage,Marv Johnson,Bob & Earl & other artists were live there but memory escapes me who @this time

Social source share

Guest suehey

GO AND FIND THEM...........

clouds a name i forgot being old now ,radios death was told to me by sue lymer as she was in the 70s blue orchid to sams wigan and all, john metcalfe works at sheffield dog track and knows where terry bramley an sam his wife live ,i' ll let you and sue know when i get off my arse an visit him

Edited by suehey
Social source share

Yeah I'm pretty sure Mick Parker ran the Dungeon, I worked for him at the Camden Palace in the 80s/90s when Lenny McLean was his head bouncer and personal minder. Nice bloke but tight as a duck's arse. He's still about.

Mick Parker was definitely the owner, he also had a cafe on Radford Rd in Hyson Green too.

I probably mentioned this on here before, but I remember getting a bus into town one Saturday afternoon, and Mick got on it, and sat next to us, I had some Lp's with me, and noticing the one on top, Mick commented " Oh you like The Beach Boys then? Obviously we took the pee out of him, as it was The Isley Brothers "Soul On The Rocks" album.

Social source share

Mick Parker was definitely the owner, he also had a cafe on Radford Rd in Hyson Green too.

I probably mentioned this on here before, but I remember getting a bus into town one Saturday afternoon, and Mick got on it, and sat next to us, I had some Lp's with me, and noticing the one on top, Mick commented " Oh you like The Beach Boys then? Obviously we took the pee out of him, as it was The Isley Brothers "Soul On The Rocks" album.

I don't think he was remotely into the music!

Social source share

Guest enchantedrythm

Yep, it was there at the time, before the time, and albeit with a different name, after the time! smile.gif

dont think the palais had a different name, or have i read it wrong. Palais de dance/bali hai. was a meeca ballroom. im a lot younger :lol: then some of you old farts but did go to all these places as a tall nipper. the early days i.e 67/68 palais monday night was about all i could get away with. by 69 i was doing the dungeon-seem to remember that it closed down due to drug squad overkill.beechcomer was a regular haunt as we could get in. can you remember the guy who used to cruise the pubs dressed in an evening suit, giving out promotion tickets? from 69 the brit was my haunt-and that was playing soul fri/sat/sun nights-69 on-bring on billy swain.

got to go got loads more info re these times in nottingham. feel totaly home sick now so im off to see the mental health and ask for dex :shhh::D

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

HI BARRY YES I REMEMBER RADIO HE USED TO KNOCK ABOUT WITH CLICK. AH THE MEMORIES LOL MICK

hello there........to young to go to any of these clubs........but do remember a top bloke from hinkley called CLICK used to be the leader of the leicester footy boys knew him from the catacombe days........saved my neck once top bloke is it the same fella? tezza

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Yeah I'm pretty sure Mick Parker ran the Dungeon, I worked for him at the Camden Palace in the 80s/90s when Lenny McLean was his head bouncer and personal minder. Nice bloke but tight as a duck's arse. He's still about.

bet he little or no trouble with the guv,nor on the door proper hard

Social source share

hello there........to young to go to any of these clubs........but do remember a top bloke from hinkley called CLICK used to be the leader of the leicester footy boys knew him from the catacombe days........saved my neck once top bloke is it the same fella? tezza

sorry it's not the click that's mentioned.this click used to be with the mini boys in nottingham and go to the dungeon club.in the mid sixties..the mini boys still met up for a drink in Nottingham last thurday of the month.17 at the last one.Good to see mates living this long

Social source share

Yeah Dylan, Byards went on to be named Jallins. Photos would be great if anyone has any - love this local soul history suff

the wine bar you mention was called Uriah Heeps in tndhe late sixties just down from the Cross Keys pub on the corner and round the corner at the bottom used to be the Fountain pub

Social source share

can you ex dungeon soulies remember Pete Stringfellow d.jing there. he had a man mountain called Barry Price as his minder.Very large rocker about six foot thirteen.I was very friendly with him specially at bank holiday weekends at Skeggy.Also can you remember Diddy Alan dancing on the wooden barrel in front of the d.j.console.Saw the faces before Rod Stewart joined....Procel Harlum and had a drink of whisky with Jimmy Cliff in the cloakroom / changing room.

Social source share

can you ex dungeon soulies remember Pete Stringfellow d.jing there. he had a man mountain called Barry Price as his minder.Very large rocker about six foot thirteen.I was very friendly with him specially at bank holiday weekends at Skeggy.Also can you remember Diddy Alan dancing on the wooden barrel in front of the d.j.console.Saw the faces before Rod Stewart joined....Procel Harlum and had a drink of whisky with Jimmy Cliff in the cloakroom / changing room.

Yes I remember Pete Stringfellow djing at the dungeon, didn't he play that flower power movement stuff, also saw the faces with Steve Marriott can't remember the other stuff you mention, so long ago, although I can remember Whiter Shade Of Pale being played , (IMHO) it was the best soul club in Nottingham during the mid sixties.

ps by the way are you Big Jan that knocked about with Stu Morris??

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Guest suehey

I can remember Pete Stringfellow and lets all go to San Francisco.... happy days

Social source share

Yes I remember Pete Stringfellow djing at the dungeon, didn't he play that flower power movement stuff, also saw the faces with Steve Marriott can't remember the other stuff you mention, so long ago, although I can remember Whiter Shade Of Pale being played , (IMHO) it was the best soul club in Nottingham during the mid sixties.

ps by the way are you Big Jan that knocked about with Stu Morris??

Yes that me.I still knock about with Stu.Talk to him two or three times a week.Still best mates for the last firty four years.still see fitzy at the Festival he's a old dungeon boy.The best times are the ones that you still remember.Keep on Keeping on....

Social source share

Guest roggert

I can remember Pete Stringfellow and lets all go to San Francisco.... happy days

yeah he also played my girl the month o may dance able

Social source share

Click, was a bit of a star and a loveable rogue who was great on the scene but you wouldn't want to meet him elsewhere. He gave it all up and became serious God Squad in the late 80s early 90s. Big mates with the Preston cybermen

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Click, was a bit of a star and a loveable rogue who was great on the scene but you wouldn't want to meet him elsewhere. He gave it all up and became serious God Squad in the late 80s early 90s. Big mates with the Preston cybermen

yep thats the fella

Social source share

• 2 months later...
Guest john boland

Yes that me.I still knock about with Stu.Talk to him two or three times a week.Still best mates for the last firty four years.still see fitzy at the Festival he's a old dungeon boy.The best times are the ones that you still remember.Keep on Keeping on....

Social source share

Guest john boland

hi im john from leicester nickname batman yes i remember stu baldi .also sue white .sue aslam .jimmy faye .jacko .manfred .mondo .monica young .gail griffiths. etc beachcomber bodega .the brit love those days in notts keep the faith batman

Social source share

Guest john boland

Social source share

Guest john boland

yes i know all those guys i used to dj with my mate chris sweeting at the orchid he had the only copy of human beanze which we later copied on soul sounds then we would go to the clouds suday night heres all the in crowd chis jones rip .jimmy faye .feac.monty .angie wilton many more im now living in formerly batman from leicester

Social source share

yes i know all those guys i used to dj with my mate chris sweeting at the orchid he had the only copy of human beanze which we later copied on soul sounds then we would go to the clouds suday night heres all the in crowd chis jones rip .jimmy faye .feac.monty .angie wilton many more im now living in formerly batman from leicester

hello john (Batman)talking to Mondo yesterday sends his best regards.I see Mondo,Jimmy Faye.Briget.seen stu today and spoke about you and.your namesake Batman from Derby and we had john bateman from nottingham.We meet up at soul do's in and around Nottingham and Long Eaton once a month or when I can get a weekend off.Went to Scarborough last month it was O k bit disappointed having to drink guiness out of a plastic cup.the organisers must think we are teenagers that cannot drink out of glasses.

Mondo said do you remember leaving a object in a till drawer???????

take care

Social source share

Guest john boland

amazing it was a good job they didnt have dna in those days otherwise they would have had my arse scuse the pun how about jonny brasebury ? mad jacko . shef gail and monica from keyworth they were great days loved the blue orchid keep posting mate regards to everyone the aka batman

Social source share

I remember being at the Leicester market stall when Jeff King had the Human Beinz, a UK Capitol copy I think he wanted £8 for it which was what I earned in 2 months in my schoolboy job. I've PMed you about those happy days, great to have you on here. If you can't work out the PM thing, let me know on here. Ady

Social source share

Guest john boland

I remember being at the Leicester market stall when Jeff King had the Human Beinz, a UK Capitol copy I think he wanted £8 for it which was what I earned in 2 months in my schoolboy job. I've PMed you about those happy days, great to have you on here. If you can't work out the PM thing, let me know on here. Ady

hi ady yes its great to be on this site so many stories i was living with jeff king in those days and used to buy my records off his stall he didnt have a clue about northern soul until i told him how much some of the records were worth then i took him up to the wheel which blue his mind so then we created soul sounds from our collections i still have my copy of the beanze on capitol would love to try and get in touch with jeff but have no idea where he is regards from oz please let me know how to read pm,s

Social source share

John - Malc Rowley from Langley Mill wishes to be remembered to you. I PM'd you the other day !

Rgds

Graham Malley ( Derby)

to read personal messages (PMs) go to top right of screen and you will see an envelope icon click on that and it should open your in-box

Edited by GrayM
Social source share

amazing it was a good job they didnt have dna in those days otherwise they would have had my arse scuse the pun how about jonny brasebury ? mad jacko . shef gail and monica from keyworth they were great days loved the blue orchid keep posting mate regards to everyone the aka batman

mad jacko died a couple of years ago. jonny brasebury moved to Walsall.last time I saw him he was sorting out his retirement from the railway.selling up and moving to Turkey for good.that was eighteen months ago.Been trying to find Gail and Monica for years.last info I had was from Goldie from Liverpool.he told me that gail had married a d j from the Twisted Wheel and living in yorkshire.no info on monica

Social source share

Guest john boland

hi jan thanks for all that info im surprised jacko made it that long he sure was a mad bastard i with him when he was going out with sue aslam any news of her and sue white plus kenny sharp and swifty i will have to make you my personal detective regards from austalia

Social source share

• 1 month later...

Heard some great stuff re the Dungeon from Good pal Mick Hill,the owner at the time was a Lady called Mary ,today she sells furniture at the Notts cattle market,

Nice to see Sam Moore & Rob Smith , still out and about at Allnighters to this day

Best

Mick H

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...
Guest john boland

mad jacko died a couple of years ago. jonny brasebury moved to Walsall.last time I saw him he was sorting out his retirement from the railway.selling up and moving to Turkey for good.that was eighteen months ago.Been trying to find Gail and Monica for years.last info I had was from Goldie from Liverpool.he told me that gail had married a d j from the Twisted Wheel and living in yorkshire.no info on monica

Social source share

Monica married someone called Stuart, I think, he lived in Edwinstowe and she went to live there
Social source share

it was quinith davies,who owned the dungeon,she told me she and Mick Davies ran it for twelve years,and also the ad-lib club to,with her neice mary

still living in nottm,i see her every week,runs her furniture store down meadow lane

Mick h

Social source share

it was quinith davies,who owned the dungeon,she told me she and Mick Davies ran it for twelve years,and also the ad-lib club to,with her neice mary

still living in nottm,i see her every week,runs her furniture store down meadow lane

Mick h

I went to the Dungeon from 1966 to 1969 it changed the name after that a couple of times can't remember was it Apple or something like that, so if it was 12 years Mick not all under the Dungeon name, had some of the best nights ever at the Dungeon.

Barry

Social source share

Mick h

it was mick parker

Mick h

it was mick parker who owned the dungeon and gwen ran the ad lib.she is married to moisey.they both run the pine store at the cattle market.last time i was down there Big anne another dungeon regular works for them she knocked about with the late mick norton....is this the mick hill that went to the brit and had a mini cooper. s.
Social source share

[/quote hello john.still on the out.been very busy with work over Xmas also babysitting grandaughter.seen stu last monday he sends his regards.he'sbusy downloading his 3000 odd vinyl onto his p.c

kenny sharp went on a walkabout twenty odd year ago.even his family don;t know where he went.just disappeared???? i think swifty pasted on]

Social source share

Guest john boland

hi jan thought you had gone walkabout as they say in oz good to hear you are well how nice to have a grandchild im still waiting didnt realise stu had so much vinyl ,you guys should go on to the twisted wheel club faceook fantastic music also people we know i chat with chris farell from donnie remember him ? regards john

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

hi jan thought you had gone walkabout as they say in oz good to hear you are well how nice to have a grandchild im still waiting didnt realise stu had so much vinyl ,you guys should go on to the twisted wheel club faceook fantastic music also people we know i chat with chris farell from donnie remember him ? regards john

Hi John - did you ever hang around with Little Roy, Keiron, Brian Proud and Tony ? - who all lived up on SFE in Leicester?

I used to go out with Brian and they all used to come over to Lincoln to the Duke of Wellington. I used to go to the Dungeon and the Beachcomber too. Still go to the Twisted Wheel as I now live over in Chester.

Kath Chambers

Social source share

Guest john boland

yes i remember little roy and kenny o brien ,mick grady rip i used to go to lincoln a lot good mates with i cant remember his name whos dad owned the duke will chat again soon batman

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

yes i remember little roy and kenny o brien ,mick grady rip i used to go to lincoln a lot good mates with i cant remember his name whos dad owned the duke will chat again soon batman

His name was Neil Blanchard and he used to DJ at the Duke (with Steve Carter). He still lives in Lincoln. We have had a few Duke reunions, which I got to DJ at (at last!). Other Leicester names I can remember are Martin Matlock, John Barnes and Sugar. Have got some good pictures from Lincoln.

Social source share

Guest john boland

His name was Neil Blanchard and he used to DJ at the Duke (with Steve Carter). He still lives in Lincoln. We have had a few Duke reunions, which I got to DJ at (at last!). Other Leicester names I can remember are Martin Matlock, John Barnes and Sugar. Have got some good pictures from Lincoln.

Social source share

Used to meet up with some Notts allniter lads at the Mojo in Sheffield in 1966/67.

When that was closed, used to hitch through to Nottingham to meet up with a crowd that then went on to the Nite Owl (1967).

Names I remember are Click, Eric, Dave, Kenny Sharp & George.

Think most of them moved onto the Wheel later that year.

Never actually attended any niters in Notts though.

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

hiya gibby, yes, the nite-owl was JUST a teeny bit before my time on the soul-scene, but l remember seeing the flyers

and membership that some of my friends had. The flyers had the names of the deejays on them (obviously) and one

such name was "OWLIN' ROBIN'" but do you know the name of the other featured deejay??

well, l'll tell you. . it was a guy who called himself "ROCKET" and he was the elder brother of gary (gaz) keen, from leicester!!!

but l expect you knew that fact already.

Tony Warot. aka westrex

Social source share

Anyone remember Pete Weller from Leicester,last seen him in Derby many years ago mucking about as usual,he was visiting old friends (lived in Amsterdam then) he came in a shoe shop with me put these shoes on and did a fantastic dance around store took them off gave them back to the owner and calmly said "no these wont do"you should of seen the look on the owners face and he just walked out as nothing had happend

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!