Nite Owl Leicester,dungeon And Beachcomber Nottingham

Guest malc gibbons

I attended this session at the Nite Owl back in 1967 ........

I traveled down to Leicester on the train with my Dony chum Tom Sleight.

This was the period when the Mojo in Sheffield had given up holding allnighters in the hope of obtaining a license to remain open (the Government had just passed a bill to require night clubs to get a Local Authority license to stay in business).

So, after the 'Owl' niter ended, we headed round to the White Cat cafe and hung about till the trains started running.

Then it was back up to Sheffield on the train (with Sully -- from Dony -- Dave & Eric from Notts) to catch a group calling themselves THE TEMPTATIONS at the Mojo alldayer ....... those were the days (my friend, I thought they'd never end).

THE TEMPTATIONS were really the Velours / Fantastics & as everyone knows, they liked performing for UK audiences so much that they settled here.

post-22122-0-60316300-1331906588_thumb.j

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Anyone remember Pete Weller from Leicester,last seen him in Derby many years ago mucking about as usual,he was visiting old friends (lived in Amsterdam then) he came in a shoe shop with me put these shoes on and did a fantastic dance around store took them off gave them back to the owner and calmly said "no these wont do"you should of seen the look on the owners face and he just walked out as nothing had happend

Last saw him on the train from Derby to the Torch, never heard or seen him since

Shelly

Social source share

• 1 month later...
Guest chris dredge

Played all those venues in the '60's with a band called 'Pesky Gee'. We had quite a large soul following. Other club names to conjure with are 'The Broken Wheel' at Retford, 'The Frollicking Kneecap At Mkt. Harborough, & 'The Purple Onion Club', Grimsby.

Competing with the Nite Owl were other Leicester venues like, The Chicane Club, The Latin Quarter, & The Burlesque. But none could beat with the Nite Owl, which sadly burnt down under suspicious circumstances in around '69.

Social source share

I attended lots of niters at the Nite Owl back in 1967.
I've got some details of the live acts who appeared at the club back then ........
APRIL 8th 67 > Alan Bown Set
APRIL 15th 67 > Wynder K Frog .... last allniter at Mojo (Sheffield) with Geno Washington & RJB on live.
MAY 6th 67 > Pesky-Gee >> didn't attend. Saw Garnett Mimms (+ Jimi Hendrix) at Saville Theatre, London on Sunday 7th
MAY 27th 67 > Powerhouse
JUNE 3rd 67 > Pesky-Gee & Jimmy Cliff
JUNE 10th 67 > Edwin Starr. Went to Hull Skyline on Thurs 8th > Lucas + Mike Cotton Sound. Frid 9th Jungle in Brid.
JUNE 17th 67 > Wynder K Frog & Pesky-Gee ADVERTISED AS > Sonny Childe & TNT
JUNE 24th 67 > Family
July 15th 67 > ?? >> went to Mojo Alldayer on Sun 16th > (fake) Drifters on live
July 22nd 67 > Pop Toniks
July 29th 67 > Wynder K Frogg didn't attend > went to Mojo Alldayer on Sun 30th > Garnett Mimms on live
August 5th 67 > Shevelles ........ group failed to show up
August 19th 67 > Reg James Explosion > then up to Mojo alldayer (Alan Bown + Wynder K Frogg)
August 26th 67 > Ferris Wheel + Shevelles
September 2nd 67 > Temptations (really Velours) + Pesky-Gee >> Sunday Mojo alldayer > Temptations again
September 9th 67 > Cliff Bennett + the Peeps
September 16th 67 > Root & Jenny Jackson
September 23rd 67 > Garnett Mimms >> I went to Mojo Allniter > Drifters then Sunday Mojo Alldayer > Garnett Mimms
September 30th 67 > ??? >> I went to Mojo Allniter > Jimmy Cliff & Shakedown Sound
October 7th 67 > Maxine Brown GREAT >> then on Sunday > Mojo Alldayer (last ever) > Stevie Wonder
October 14th 67 > ??? went to Wheel > Jnr Walker & AllStars
October 21th 67 > Alan Bown
October 28th 67 > Isley Brothers (fake - really Sam, Erv & Tom > 3/4 of Diplomats)
November 4th 67 > Drifters (fake -- thin k it was actually the Invitations again)
November 11th 67 > Max Baer & Chicago Setback
November 18th 67 > Jimmy James & Vagabonds
November 25th 67 > ??? >> went to Wheel > Ben E King & Senate + Amboy Dukes
December 2nd 67 > Eddie Floyd
.... MONDAY 4th December 67 > Nite Owl closed down as no Local Authority licence granted.
December 16th 67 > NO NITE OWL >> went to Wheel (our new home) to see the Vibrations.

Had attended the Purple Onion Club in Cleethorpes (Alan Bown played live gig there on Dec 10th 67) in summer of 1966; went over there each weekend on scooter.
Also attended Boulevard Club Tadcaster in 1966 & early 1967 (live acts on here too; Zoot Money's Big Roll Band, etc.)

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

• 4 months later...

Haven't been in here for a while, but just noticed the post about Mick Norton passing away, apart from the Dungeon days, I believe he had something to do with The Babel nightclub on Huntingdon St in Nottingham, where I cut my "DJ teeth" in 79' however it was in the eighties he was involved there.

Re The Palais having various names, what I meant was it went on to be called Ritzy, like a lot if not all Mecca dance halls.

Also trying to remember other Nottingham "faces" ......forgive me if I've already mentioned them......Gabby, Sedge, Pete Lemon, Graham Walley, Graham Asher( he was the first person to introduce me to The Dungeon) Little Eric, who I bumped into in Sainsburys in Beeston last year, his bigger brother, whose name I never knew! Kenny Astle, a Keith Richards lookalike, I believe he had the Mini van with the yellow "E" on it's back doors. They are all I can remember at the moment, more later maybe!

Finally, just a little story about a mate who I had persuaded to come to The Dungeon, I had known him from school, and had at one time worked the fairs, Goose fair etc, one Wednesay evening at The Dungeon, there had been a bit of trouble with some people who were from the fair, on what used to be called rape night,this was the night before the fair used to open, legend had it that any girls doing there on this night was raped, probably a silly story, but anyway, closing time at The Dungeon arrived around 10 I recall midweek, me and Graham Asher were just leaving, and Frank, my ex school mate had gone ahead walking up Stanford St, Graham pushed me back into the steps, and said he had seen Mad Eddy and some other mini boys running up the street after Frank.

Within about 30 seconds the mini boys ran back down Stanford St, and we caught up with Frank who was on the floor covered in blood.

It seems they had thought Frank had something to do with the trouble earlier, which he hadn't, and Pete Lemon waded into the mini boys, saving Frank from a heavier beating than he actually got!

Edited by craig strong
Social source share

forgot about about this thread until I saw Craig's post, talking about people from those days which you tend to remember by name but don't see anymore, well Pam & I was having a drink outside the Nottingham playhouse recently when this fella tapped me on my shoulder and asked me if I remembered him....after a couple embarrassing seconds he tells me his name..Tom Crawford, could not believe it after all these years, Tom used to go to the dungeon all those years ago, now married to Carol (Booth) who I also knew from those days, got talking as you do about the old days, then he mentioned that he got back into the scene recently, told him about the night I run at ATB soul , they came over and now we are looking forward to renewing our friendship after all these years.

atb

Barry

Social source share

• 1 month later...
Guest Dave Atkinson

Mick Parker ran the Dungeon. Keith the Beachcomber and also the Boat. The DJ at the Beachcomber was Petal, Keith Brake.

Gwen who works on the market ran the Ad Lib which was owned by her partner George.

Pete Hubbard ran the Brit. The Night Owl I cant remember too well having only visited it once.

Social source share

Mick Parker ran the Dungeon. Keith the Beachcomber and also the Boat. The DJ at the Beachcomber was Petal, Keith Brake.

Gwen who works on the market ran the Ad Lib which was owned by her partner George.

Pete Hubbard ran the Brit. The Night Owl I cant remember too well having only visited it once.

Hi Dave

Can you remember the resident DJ name at The Dungeon?

thanks

Barry

Social source share

Guest Dave Atkinson

Can't remember his name at the moment. He did go out with my sister and was the son of a garage owner.

It will come to me as I did know him. I will ask John Carlin. He should remember.

I can remember his face.

I knew Mick Parker, Black Henry, Jack and Gordon who ran the Hippo better.

Social source share

Can't remember his name at the moment. He did go out with my sister and was the son of a garage owner.

It will come to me as I did know him. I will ask John Carlin. He should remember.

I can remember his face.

I knew Mick Parker, Black Henry, Jack and Gordon who ran the Hippo better.

Thanks Dave, I dunna know why but I thought his first name was Barry, I was just a lad of sixteen when I first went, didn't know who ran the clubs just a punter who enjoyed the nights at the Dungeon, Brit & Beachcomber.

Social source share

Played all those venues in the '60's with a band called 'Pesky Gee'. We had quite a large soul following. Other club names to conjure with are 'The Broken Wheel' at Retford, 'The Frollicking Kneecap At Mkt. Harborough, & 'The Purple Onion Club', Grimsby.

Competing with the Nite Owl were other Leicester venues like, The Chicane Club, The Latin Quarter, & The Burlesque. But none could beat with the Nite Owl, which sadly burnt down under suspicious circumstances in around '69.

Wow, I saw Pesky Gee at the Frollockin' Kneecap. Were there two great looking girl lead singers or was that The Ferris Wheel? Have you got any photos of the group I liked you so much I wrote your name in my schoolbook. Family wrote a song about the Burlesque, I never went there but saw Howlin' Wolf at the Il Rondo in Leicester.

Social source share

Guest Dave Atkinson

Thanks Dave, I dunna know why but I thought his first name was Barry, I was just a lad of sixteen when I first went, didn't know who ran the clubs just a punter who enjoyed the nights at the Dungeon, Brit & Beachcomber.

Ães it was Barry if I remember correctly.

I have emailed John to check.

Social source share

Anyone Remember Clouds at Derby???.. Montys old stomping ground..I think it It became Cleoes in the 70s...

What happened to the Nottingham group "The Children"

Looking Forward to your post ...

T.C.B. JOHNNY LYNN

Social source share

Yep I remember Monty AKA Lee Arthur Montgomery - became a bit of a lost soul, stoned most of the time and died in a car he borrowed when he ran into the back end of a lorry on the Borrowash bypass. RIP Monty

Social source share

hi lads,

bit slow here but reading these threads is bloody fantastic!!!!

i went to all these great venues!

the dungeon was a special place for me,where i met the late derek allen,a great bloke with a knack for filling floors

as a dj years later.

i was talking to kev roberts about the beachcomber & dungeon last week in SOUL ON THE COSTA-SPAIN,and mentioned about them in soul folklore!

nottingham,my beloved home city is built on bunter sandstone,which made the aforementioned clubs accoustically perfect!

a dj,s dream!

the dungeon went on to become THE CLUB and is buried under the broadmarsh shopping centre.

if i ever won the lotto,i would re-open it up.

and i have to agree with earlier threads that if it had stayed open it would have been as big if not bigger than the wheel.

anyone know where stu morris is these days?

last time i saw him was years back at a forest match.

Social source share

hi lads,

bit slow here but reading these threads is bloody fantastic!!!!

i went to all these great venues!

the dungeon was a special place for me,where i met the late derek allen,a great bloke with a knack for filling floors

as a dj years later.

i was talking to kev roberts about the beachcomber & dungeon last week in SOUL ON THE COSTA-SPAIN,and mentioned about them in soul folklore!

nottingham,my beloved home city is built on bunter sandstone,which made the aforementioned clubs accoustically perfect!

a dj,s dream!

the dungeon went on to become THE CLUB and is buried under the broadmarsh shopping centre.

if i ever won the lotto,i would re-open it up.

and i have to agree with earlier threads that if it had stayed open it would have been as big if not bigger than the wheel.

anyone know where stu morris is these days?

last time i saw him was years back at a forest match.

Great days indeed but just to say the Dungeon is still in the same location as always on Stanford Street, the original steps are still there, was only outside the place on Saturday after the Forest game waiting to pick Pam up, these days it's a office block.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

i used to buy my records in the 60,s at SHARMANS on arkwright st,the meadows,

and rediffusion,downstairs where les ? was the manager and a great lass called sherry

worked.

i used to live for saturday mornings to see what was imported!

these shops were the only ones importing soul/ska to my recollection

well before selectadisc opened up.

Social source share

not been around that part of city for years.

live miles outside now,whats happened to the beachcomber?

apartments or a warehouse?

Hi soulaways...

The lace market is full of apartments like you say, others may know more than me but I think that the beachcomber as gone, although the Brit is still on Trent side next to the Boat and Union clubs. I met Pam at the Brit in 1968 btw.

Social source share

Really interesting reading these great comments !! I was only a schoolkid when i first got took to the Niteowl remember some hippie band lasting about a minute and then getting pelted with everything and any thing by the Mods.Remember my elder mates sister (leicester mod)who was a regular at all the leicester/notts dos and giving us all the details,the Burlesque was mentioned and i believe Roger Chapman (Family singer) went there.Surprised nobody has mentioned Micky Bang Bang i believe a friend of Howlin Robins the first DJ who got us into rare soul.Mick finally DJ'd at the wheel but cant remember if it was only once also with a guy named Mick Potter who opened a rare soul shop in Leicester.The il rondo was a fantastic venue for us soulies as the Niteowl had closed by this time.Also remember the Fantasia and various backrooms in pubs then the Engine in coalville.Yes Click Clark was fearless but a nice guy last time we saw him was at some Jackie Wilson Show or other many moons ago.Finally Micky Bang Bang went "back to the roots" long before it became in vogue i think he couldn't stand the creeping "disco music" coming on the scene finally ended up playing rock n roll.

The 60's will never be beaten great music scooters fashion what a great mix.Why the majority of venues have problems playing RnB,Jamaican and British RnB is beyond me ?But fortunately we have some venues like the Adlib Lincoln who are returning to our roots.

Nick + Shaz

Social source share

thanks for this link, have not seen it before, could be on there for a while, don't remember those names but Rob Smith used to work in Redifusion.

Hi Barry

I am sure Rob worked in the Co-op record bar in parliament st, i will ask him for sure next saturday, Beechcomber building still stands, so does the old AD-lib but gwen aint there on the door bless her, and was it Basil with the Bowler hat who gave out the free tickets round the town and in the fountain, you are quite correct Dungeon building still there, its still a good place to pick up and drop off, Now then remember the Bodega upstairs great wee venue, and still there,And redifusion i remember the listening box's used to get the staff to play as many records as poss, Anybody remember the Embassy in trinity square. above the shop corner trinity walk, Ah memories just love em,

Regards Mal

Social source share

Hi Barry

I am sure Rob worked in the Co-op record bar in parliament st, i will ask him for sure next saturday, Beechcomber building still stands, so does the old AD-lib but gwen aint there on the door bless her, and was it Basil with the Bowler hat who gave out the free tickets round the town and in the fountain, you are quite correct Dungeon building still there, its still a good place to pick up and drop off, Now then remember the Bodega upstairs great wee venue, and still there,And redifusion i remember the listening box's used to get the staff to play as many records as poss, Anybody remember the Embassy in trinity square. above the shop corner trinity walk, Ah memories just love em,

Regards Mal

HI Malc

Must be my memory going but please do ask Rob cause I did think he worked there for a while, I do remember those booths I was a bit of a soul snob back in the day (some say I still am) but would not go to places like Colman's & Embassy, only did the Brit, Dungeon & Beachcomber btw do you remember the "The Dancing Slipper" in bread & lard island?

Must get down to see the old Beachcomber building & take a pic.

Come on U reds

atb

Barry

Social source share

Hi Barry

Yes remember the slipper well and turners on Mapperley top, i did go to Colmans i once asked Enid Colman for Green Door she played Frankie Vaughns number not wyder K Frog,

And during 1969-70 the Electric Gardens the room above a pub on glasshouse street White Heart i think,

Hope the new venue is going well, and hope we out fox em Sat,

Regards Mal

Social source share

Guest chris farrell

Last saw him on the train from Derby to the Torch, never heard or seen him since

Shelly, I Know Pete Waller, i stayed with him in holland and newquay, bumped into him in london a few years ago, and stayed intouch with him till i lost my phone, he's got a kid and lives in plaistow east london

Social source share

Guest chris farrell

Hi Pete waller lives in plaistow in east london, i was in touch with him a few years ago, but lost my phone and we lost contact, stayed with pete in newquay and holland, used to go to the all-nighters

Social source share

Guest chris farrell

i used to buy my records in the 60,s at SHARMANS on arkwright st,the meadows,

and rediffusion,downstairs where les ? was the manager and a great lass called sherry

worked.

i used to live for saturday mornings to see what was imported!

these shops were the only ones importing soul/ska to my recollection

well before selectadisc opened up.

Social source share

I remember Tom Sleight, i'm from donny and used to go to the night owl and the mojo, great days, Chris Farrell

I still knock about with Tom (he lives outside Worksop now).

I take him to Cleggy weekeders (& used to take him to Prestatyn as well).

Its his 65th birthday next September & he's having a big soul party.

You know me as well Chris.

Social source share

Guest chris farrell

whats your name? i go back to donny(live in london) on a regular basis, reconnected with Cliff Sirs and few other oldies, hope you're well

Social source share

Guest chris farrell

hi barry,

i,m a forest fan (for my sins m8,i know the rowing clubs are still there)

LOL!

did you know les from redifusion or sherry?

Social source share

HI MALC

YES THESE WERE REAL NIGHTERS,THE DUNGEON IN MY OPPINION WAS THE BEST,EVEN BETTER THAN THE WHEEL,WE USED TO GET PEOPLE FROM ALL OVER ENGLAND EVEN IN THE DAYS OF THUMBING,JUMPING TRAINS ETC.LIKE BARRY I WAS AT THE DUNGEON WHEN IT GOT RAIDED(MADE THE NEWS OF THE WORLD)I WAS THE 1ST TO BE PUSHED AGAINST THE WALL AND SEARCHED BY AN UNDERCOVER COP (TOUGH HE GOT NOTHING)I ALSO THEN WENT TO SEE LEE DORSEY AT THE BEACHCOMBER.WHILE I,M ON WAS ANYONE ELSE LIKE ME WAS AT THE BEACHCOMBER ON A WED. NIGHT WHEN A LIVE L.P. WAS RECORDED FEATURING JIMMY CLIFF WITH WYNDER K. FROGG ON THE ORGAN.IF YOU EVER SEE ME DJ,ING COME UP FOR A CHAT CAN,T PUT TOO MUCH ON HERE OR COULD GET IN TROUBLE.

REGARDS SAM MOORE

you should right a book sam might be xrated but would be a great read

• Helpful 1
Social source share

HI Malc

Must be my memory going but please do ask Rob cause I did think he worked there for a while, I do remember those booths I was a bit of a soul snob back in the day (some say I still am) but would not go to places like Colman's & Embassy, only did the Brit, Dungeon & Beachcomber btw do you remember the "The Dancing Slipper" in bread & lard island?

Must get down to see the old Beachcomber building & take a pic.

Come on U reds

atb

Barry

Hi Barry

Rob just called me always does pryor to our soul night,He confirmed he started at the Co-op record bar on parliament St, and then moved to Selectadisc, only like some of us used the listening booths in Reddifusion,

ATB Mal

Social source share

Hi Barry

Rob just called me always does pryor to our soul night,He confirmed he started at the Co-op record bar on parliament St, and then moved to Selectadisc, only like some of us used the listening booths in Reddifusion,

ATB Mal

Thanks for this Malc knew in back of my mind I saw him somewhere else, mind you 40 odd years ago so I can be excused a tad,

take care.

atb

Barry

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Terry Swift

Just found this site its great to read about old times in Nottingham. Im Swifty I read on here that I had passed away well havent just yet. I left Notts 43 yrs ago to live in Sheffield.I have tried to find some old mated before without success such as Sharpy, Swanny, Dave Small, & Sam. Through this site I have got back in touch with Batman. Carry on writing in I love this site.

Social source share

Guest chris farrell

hi im john from leicester nickname batman yes i remember stu baldi .also sue white .sue aslam .jimmy faye .jacko .manfred .mondo .monica young .gail griffiths. etc beachcomber bodega .the brit love those days in notts keep the faith batman

Hello John AKA Batman, Found you, Chris Farrell

Social source share

• 1 month later...

Anyone Remember Clouds at Derby???.. Montys old stomping ground..I think it It became Cleoes in the 70s...

What happened to the Nottingham group "The Children"

Looking Forward to your post ...

T.C.B. JOHNNY LYNN

Social source share

• 4 months later...
Guest siddha

Just found this site! It is amazing and brings back many many many memories. I lived in Nottingham  in the 60s and used to go to the Boat Clubs, Beachcomber , Dungeon, Dancing Slipper (West Bridgeford) usually on my scooter. Towards the late 60s used to go to the Mojo, Twisted Wheel and the Night Owl. The Britannia Boat Club, Beachcomber and Night Owl were my favourites!

Apart from seeing all the  US big names  there was a really good local bands. In particular at the Beachcomber there was a regular band called Robert Hirst and the Big Taste who could do half decent covers of soul tracks. Georgie Fame and the Blue Flames were regulars there and they always got a good crowd.

Guys I remember were, Kenny Sharp, Little Eric, Manfred, Click (a.k.a. Clifford Brown), Ben, Radio (more about him later), Pop Donald, Dave Mace, on their scooters Blonde John, Drac, Andy Clifford, Fat Pat, Dave One tab, Randy, Ciggy, Martin ? Basher Bates (Roger)  and the will be loads more that I forgot because I’m old. Anyway the one thing that brought all of these guys together at which ever of the clubs was the soul music.

Earlier in this thread somebody called Roggert put this down:

Posted 20 February 2011 - 10:17 PM

just thought of another name from the dungeon /beachcomber a guy called radio from notts who always said no one would ever find his real name ,when he was at the mojo alniters in sheffield the only name you could see in his wallet(he let anyone look ) was basset calf !!!!! does anyone really know his name as ive been enquiring over 45years!!! 

I can help here. There was a time in the mid-60s when Radio and I spent a bit of time together both in Nottingham and down in Leicester at the Night Owl (this was pre-Viv). I think his usual mates Click and Ben  were busy.  Anyway during our time together I learnt a few things , is real name was Richard Booth and interestingly enough he was directly descended from General Booth the Nottingham founder of the Salvation Army. The origins of ‘s name Radio was similarly interesting he told me that it stood for Rape And Destruction I Offer —  I believed him!!

Anyway I am very sad to learn of his departure some years ago see this link:

https://www.thisisannouncements.co.uk/5650095?s_source=clmi_innn

Social source share

nobody ever writes about these great 60,s and early 70,s allnighters,i know a lot of people wouldn,t be old enough to have experienced them,but they were truly fantastic venues with live acts like the temptations,four tops,junior walker,ikeand tina turner,charlie and inez fox,jimmy cliff,nina simone,i could go on forever.the list of artists were endless.it would be really good to hear what people think,and especially anybody who went to these brilliant and amazing venues.malc gibbons

HI Malc the Talc!....I remember my Brother going to the Night Owl a few times, I think he had his 1st Joint in the place, He told me it was good when he saw Ben E King, I no that he used to go with a few mods from North Hearts, and like me they went to all the SOHO clubs,

A few went to the SCENE, which by what I have been told was THE in place of all the clubs, I see you went to BLETSOE so you may well know me? DAVE K

Social source share

• 1 month later...
Guest mitch

The first allnighter at the Beachcomber I went to had Junior Walker on,I remember the Ad Lib,Hippo ,Eight til Late etc...........the Blue Orchid was set in wonderful grounds out in Draycott,it didn't last long but I think I went to every one they did

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!