Nite Owl Leicester,dungeon And Beachcomber Nottingham

Guest malc gibbons

Guest malc gibbons

nobody ever writes about these great 60,s and early 70,s allnighters,i know a lot of people wouldn,t be old enough to have experienced them,but they were truly fantastic venues with live acts like the temptations,four tops,junior walker,ikeand tina turner,charlie and inez fox,jimmy cliff,nina simone,i could go on forever.the list of artists were endless.it would be really good to hear what people think,and especially anybody who went to these brilliant and amazing venues.malc gibbons

Social source share

nobody ever writes about these great 60,s and early 70,s allnighters,i know a lot of people wouldn,t be old enough to have experienced them,but they were truly fantastic venues with live acts like the temptations,four tops,junior walker,ikeand tina turner,charlie and inez fox,jimmy cliff,nina simone,i could go on forever.the list of artists were endless.it would be really good to hear what people think,and especially anybody who went to these brilliant and amazing venues.malc gibbons

===

I HAVE A FRIEND AT WORK GAIL WHO USED TO GO TO THE NIGHT OWL AND KEEPS TELLING ME HOW GOOD IT WAS.

Social source share

My first soul club I went to was the Dungeon in Nottingham in 1966, I know that with time we look back and think our generation had better clubs/music etc, but the Dungeon (IMO) had it all, two floors playing soul music that you would not find anywhere else, ground breaking music for that period all nighters, all dayers I went to most of them, and yes live artist that now looking back you took for granted, can't recall all the artist you mentioned appearing, I was never into live acts, but certainly the likes of Junior Walker, Mary Wells, Stevie Wonder, Amen Corner (remember this was the begining of the mods).

One all nighter (The Drifters were on) after queing for an hour to get in, then after about another hour, the place was raided by the police both ends of Stanford Street was blocked and everybody was searched, anyone found with anything on them or under 17 was taken to the police Stn, we went down to the Beachcomber were there was another allnight (Lee Dorsey was on).

The Beachcomber in the lace market had 3 floors, another fantastic club playing new sounds to our ears,

(wish I could say the same at some clubs today)

From the mid sixties to early seventies it was a great place to in Nottingham with the Dungeon, Beachcomber and of course the Brit, all great soul clubs in their own right.

This of course before Wigan, and "northern" soul (which I never went) yes great days back then, I see a couple of folks that used to go but not many on the scene today, would be great to hear from others that went.

Barry Cooper

Edited by Guest
Social source share

• 4 weeks later...

HI MALC

YES THESE WERE REAL NIGHTERS,THE DUNGEON IN MY OPPINION WAS THE BEST,EVEN BETTER THAN THE WHEEL,WE USED TO GET PEOPLE FROM ALL OVER ENGLAND EVEN IN THE DAYS OF THUMBING,JUMPING TRAINS ETC.LIKE BARRY I WAS AT THE DUNGEON WHEN IT GOT RAIDED(MADE THE NEWS OF THE WORLD)I WAS THE 1ST TO BE PUSHED AGAINST THE WALL AND SEARCHED BY AN UNDERCOVER COP (TOUGH HE GOT NOTHING)I ALSO THEN WENT TO SEE LEE DORSEY AT THE BEACHCOMBER.WHILE I,M ON WAS ANYONE ELSE LIKE ME WAS AT THE BEACHCOMBER ON A WED. NIGHT WHEN A LIVE L.P. WAS RECORDED FEATURING JIMMY CLIFF WITH WYNDER K. FROGG ON THE ORGAN.IF YOU EVER SEE ME DJ,ING COME UP FOR A CHAT CAN,T PUT TOO MUCH ON HERE OR COULD GET IN TROUBLE.

REGARDS SAM MOORE

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest charnley

HI MALC

YES THESE WERE REAL NIGHTERS,THE DUNGEON IN MY OPPINION WAS THE BEST,EVEN BETTER THAN THE WHEEL,WE USED TO GET PEOPLE FROM ALL OVER ENGLAND EVEN IN THE DAYS OF THUMBING,JUMPING TRAINS ETC.LIKE BARRY I WAS AT THE DUNGEON WHEN IT GOT RAIDED(MADE THE NEWS OF THE WORLD)I WAS THE 1ST TO BE PUSHED AGAINST THE WALL AND SEARCHED BY AN UNDERCOVER COP (TOUGH HE GOT NOTHING)I ALSO THEN WENT TO SEE LEE DORSEY AT THE BEACHCOMBER.WHILE I,M ON WAS ANYONE ELSE LIKE ME WAS AT THE BEACHCOMBER ON A WED. NIGHT WHEN A LIVE L.P. WAS RECORDED FEATURING JIMMY CLIFF WITH WYNDER K. FROGG ON THE ORGAN.IF YOU EVER SEE ME DJ,ING COME UP FOR A CHAT CAN,T PUT TOO MUCH ON HERE OR COULD GET IN TROUBLE.

REGARDS SAM MOORE

Hi Lads, Being only a youngest, I bet you two remember this memership card, Andy c

post-6745-1229614942_thumb.jpg

post-6745-1229614959_thumb.jpg

Social source share

hi there

i went to both the night owl @ the dungeon @ the beachcomber

the DJ at the night owl went by the name howling robin (how cool was that)

joe

Did you also frequent The Blue Orchid and The Oodly Boodly Joe ?

Malc Burton

Social source share

Malc Burton

HI EVERYBODY YES I USED TO GO TO ALL THE ALLNIGHTERS IN MID 60TS MOJO WHEEL BLUE ORCHID BEACHCOMBER DUNGEON NIGHT OWL BLETSOE ANY MANY MORE. HI BARRY NOT MANY OF US STILL GOING BUT WE ARE LOL. SAW YOU AT MODERN ROOM LONG EATON LAST SAT. MICK PAYNE NOTTS

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Guest charnley

HI UP MALC

THE ONLY BLUE I CAN :rolleyes: REMBER IS THE BLUE GARDENIA (the B G ) AT LEEDS

Hi joe, know that surname if you dont mind me asking where did you grow up. andy c

Social source share

HI EVERYBODY YES I USED TO GO TO ALL THE ALLNIGHTERS IN MID 60TS MOJO WHEEL BLUE ORCHID BEACHCOMBER DUNGEON NIGHT OWL BLETSOE ANY MANY MORE. HI BARRY NOT MANY OF US STILL GOING BUT WE ARE LOL. SAW YOU AT MODERN ROOM LONG EATON LAST SAT. MICK PAYNE NOTTS

Hi Mick

Back in those days I had no transport and only went to the three proper clubs in Nottingham (the other being the Brit) thought they were so good that I didn't need to go anywhere else.

Yea saw you at the modern room, (good night need a few more in but that will come) we have moved on since those days back in the 6t's mind you, are you coming over to A1 soul on the 3rd Jan? I will post in events talk soon.

Barry

Social source share

Hi Mick

Back in those days I had no transport and only went to the three proper clubs in Nottingham (the other being the Brit) thought they were so good that I didn't need to go anywhere else.

Yea saw you at the modern room, (good night need a few more in but that will come) we have moved on since those days back in the 6t's mind you, are you coming over to A1 soul on the 3rd Jan? I will post in events talk soon.

Barry

HI BARRY YES SOME OF US HAVE MOVED ON A LONG WAY LOL. I HAD WHEELS SO GOT ABOUT A BIT MORE. HOPE TO SEE YOU AT A1 IN JAN. MERRY CHRISTMAS & HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU. CHEERS MICK

Edited by MIK P
Social source share

Fascinating stuff this - great thread. As a Notts Lad (now living in Derbyshire :shhh: ) I've heard of these venues and in the late 70s went to the brit but didn't realise how big the early scene was in Nottingham (Live acts etc).

Where was the Dungeon - is that the venue that became Camelots and more recently the Bomb? You say the Beechcomber was in the Lace Market - what is it now? (probably a trendy bar). How did these nighters size up to the wheel?

Bang those stories out chaps - an opportunity to tell Nottingham's story thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Fascinating stuff this - great thread. As a Notts Lad (now living in Derbyshire :shhh: ) I've heard of these venues and in the late 70s went to the brit but didn't realise how big the early scene was in Nottingham (Live acts etc).

Where was the Dungeon - is that the venue that became Camelots and more recently the Bomb? You say the Beechcomber was in the Lace Market - what is it now? (probably a trendy bar). How did these nighters size up to the wheel?

Bang those stories out chaps - an opportunity to tell Nottingham's story thumbsup.gif

The Dungeon was on Stanford Street,which is just off the Broad Marsh Shopping Centrer (back in those days behind Woolworths) afterwards it was know as the Big Apple, the Beachcomber was indeed in the Lace Market.(address I think was Byards Lane) Used to have Charlie Browns Soul Show on Saturday nights, tickets which I still have, the cost was members 3/6 and guests 4/-.

Great all nighters at both the Dungen the Beachcomber and all dayers at the Dungeon, can't compare them to the wheel beacause I never attend, but folks from the wheeel used to come down to Nottingam (Mick will know more about the wheel)

Barry

Social source share

Cheers Barry. The Dungeon then must have been at the venue that went on to be known as The Club in the early 80s and later in the late 80s / early 90s housed the Legendary Venus (but for House Music not for Soul). I'm guessing that the Beechcomber is now that bar oposite the old Paul Smiths shop - used to be called Byards Wine Bar in the 80s.

thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Cheers Barry. The Dungeon then must have been at the venue that went on to be known as The Club in the early 80s and later in the late 80s / early 90s housed the Legendary Venus (but for House Music not for Soul). I'm guessing that the Beechcomber is now that bar oposite the old Paul Smiths shop - used to be called Byards Wine Bar in the 80s.

thumbsup.gif

Umm not sure about Beachcomber address now you mentioned Paul Smith's shop, def in the lace market area, was the Ad Lib near by? Just found some old tickets but the address is not on them.

Barry

Social source share

Whilst on this subject, does anyone remember someone called "Radio" who went to the Dungeon, I was told he passed away last week, I didn't know him but do remember the name.

Barry

Social source share

Whilst on this subject, does anyone remember someone called "Radio" who went to the Dungeon, I was told he passed away last week, I didn't know him but do remember the name.

Barry

HI BARRY YES I REMEMBER RADIO HE USED TO KNOCK ABOUT WITH CLICK. AH THE MEMORIES LOL MICK

Social source share

:lol: my mum and dad went to these. they were from nottinghamshire, and went to these nights before i were born. they both live up north now, so when i go up visiting at xmas,ill see if they have any pics etc or stories to tell, n i can post whatever up. smile.gif
Social source share

:g: my mum and dad went to these. they were from nottinghamshire, and went to these nights before i were born. they both live up north now, so when i go up visiting at xmas,ill see if they have any pics etc or stories to tell, n i can post whatever up. :wave:

Thanks for making me feel soooooooooooo young huh.gif:lol::lol::lol:

joking apart it would be great if they have pics etc.

Barry

Social source share

The Ad Lib Barry was in the middle of the Lace Market, Byard Lane a bit away from it (across the main road, heading down to Bridlesmith Gate, where if you head left would have, in the 70s / 80s taken you to the Fountain / Dog and Bear).

I wonder if the venue was up the road across from the ad lib, isn't that where the punk club Sandpiper was?

Keep the stories coming :thumbsup:

Social source share

smile.gif:rolleyes: sorry...ive sort of done that a bit on here smile.gif but coz of my mum n dads influences on me, ive ended up chatting/responding to people with the same likes.

in any case youll probably be healthier than me anyway biggrin.gif i had to have an ecg today, and i already know my kidneys are buggered :thumbup:

Social source share

i asked my dad, and he didnt go to these, but he did go to the brit and the rowing clubs side by side in nottingham that held ns nights and he said about the palais de dance that was a big venue in nottingham, near snenton market had a lot of tamla stars appear there, and my dad saw edwin starr, jimmy ruffin and smokey robinson and the miracles there a few times. smile.gif

Social source share

I was never into live acts, but certainly the likes of , Stevie Wonder,

Barry Cooper

I'm glad you posted that info Barry , I have argued the toss on here and at venues about Stevie Wonder appearing in Notts . Am I wrong in believing it was an all-nighter.

Can you remember the owner of The Dungeon, Keith Speed later to aquire The Cock Hotel in Ripley.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Fascinating stuff this - great thread. As a Notts Lad (now living in Derbyshire unsure.gif ) I've heard of these venues and in the late 70s went to the brit but didn't realise how big the early scene was in Nottingham (Live acts etc).

Bang those stories out chaps - an opportunity to tell Nottingham's story :thumbsup:

Hiya, Just been reading the comment's on this thread,brill!

In answer to your question on were the beechcomber was, it was actually in the yard of the Ad-Lib,the entrance was at the back wall...doorway to the Ad-Lib was at the side then later altered to the front when the old cobbler's shop closed... The Beechcomber then later turned into Kool Kat bar, which had fab paintings of groovey cat's in top hat's!!!!..

Also Edwin Starr played at these venues plus Jimmy Hendrix when Hey Joe was at no.1.. Gail smile.gif x

NEW VOICE SOUL 16th January guest DJ Rob Smith

Social source share

I'm glad you posted that info Barry , I have argued the toss on here and at venues about Stevie Wonder appearing in Notts . Am I wrong in believing it was an all-nighter.

Can you remember the owner of The Dungeon, Keith Speed later to aquire The Cock Hotel in Ripley.

Mak, surely the owner of the Dungeon was Mick Parker? Most people I know believe that to be the case.

Re where The Dungeon was sited, it was on Stanford Street, just up from where HMV is at the botttom of Wheeler Gate near The Broadmarsh centre.

My first ever visit there was Easter Monday '66, I was only 14 but looked older, and had borrowed a mates Levi jacket for the occasion!

I soon "happened " upon a membership card (pre the orange one) which I doctored to make it appear to be mine, add that to the fact an older mate used to do the door there, Dave Brown, alongside Terry Flynn, so I got in ok.

As for there being 2 floors of music, I certainly dont remember it that way, yes, there were 2 floors, but the upper floor was where you could buy soft drinks, and coffee etc, my memory is telling me that there was a televison up there too, and it was also the area where the "dossers" would sleep, if they hadnt had enough "help" staying awake on a nighter.

I too was there on the night of the raid, werent we expecting either The Drifters ***or "The Fabulous Temptations"? actually not the real Motown lot, hence the additional word included!

It also made headlines in The Sun, and a few of us used to sing Stevie Wonders song "A place in the sun" referring to it!

There were lots of great live acts there, and ive seen Edwin Starr, Lee Dorsey (shook their hands too!) The Spellbinders, The Action, Amen Corner, Root and Jenny Jackson, (a kind of Jamaican Inez and Charlie act) plus many more, as well as in 1967 a band that Mick Parker booked, in the light of the psychedelic era, called This End, they were booed off stage!

Some of the characters I met there were, Stu Morris (doesnt everybody know him!) Jan, Mondo, Sedge, Gabby, Little Eric, Chris Nichols, Pete Blood, Pete Lemon, Manfred. black Eddie, the Mini boys, and loads more.

Hearing the music that Barry the resident dj (and his back up Dave used to play, changed my taste in music completely.

I still see Mondo, and Jan, and occasionally Stu at the soul night at The Regency in Ilkeston, which has now changed venue, and is at The Westgate Suites, West Gate, Long Eaton, final Friday in the month, as ever.

***Just seen in an earlier post, it was indeed The Drifters, well it was a long time back!!

Edited by craig strong
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Were any of these clubs around the same time as the Palais?

My hubby has a friend at work who siad he used to go to other clubs around notts but not the palais

Think his name is Mark Skidmore (Could be wrong will check)

Mand

Yep, it was there at the time, before the time, and albeit with a different name, after the time! smile.gif

Social source share

Yep, it was there at the time, before the time, and albeit with a different name, after the time! :lol:

I don't often get chance to Garys workmates but hes only worked his current job 2 years and is now discovering a few of them were soulies in their former lives laugh.gif

One of them attended palais the same time as me the other attended the other clubs

Gary forgot which one he told him used to attend regularly

I would suspect The Beachcomber because I remember that one and not The Dungeon or The Brit.

thanks for the reply

Mand thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest adlibsoul

Hiya, Just been reading the comment's on this thread,brill!

In answer to your question on were the beechcomber was, it was actually in the yard of the Ad-Lib,the entrance was at the back wall...doorway to the Ad-Lib was at the side then later altered to the front when the old cobbler's shop closed... The Beechcomber then later turned into Kool Kat bar, which had fab paintings of groovey cat's in top hat's!!!!..

Also Edwin Starr played at these venues plus Jimmy Hendrix when Hey Joe was at no.1.. Gail smile.gif x

NEW VOICE SOUL 16th January guest DJ Rob Smith

Remember the faded Ad-Lib sign on the wall and the courtyard where the Beachcomber entrance was.Sitting on a low wall listening/talking gibberish when we couldn't get in.Also remember hanging out in the new (all night ?) 24 or 48 lane bowling alley - all decked out in suits and slim-Jim ties !

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Not that its important, but ive just had a word with another Dungeon regular, Jan (whose last name i cant spell!) and he confirmed that it was Mick Parker who was the owner there.

I remember being on a 43 bus heading into Nottm city centre, with a newly bought Isleys LP, (was it soul on the rocks? cant remember its title) and on showing it Mick, he thought it was a Beach Boys LP! An easy mistake to make I guess, as it had the couple gazing into each others eyes on a beach, but I thought it amusing that the guy responsible for the music in Nottinghams number 1 soul and Motown venue could make a mistake like that! :thumbsup:

By the way, as you may be aware, the soul night at The Regency in Ilkeston has transferred to The Westgate Suites in Long Eaton, we are adding another night to the regular last Fridayof the month. It starts in May, on the 2nd Saturdayof the month, and regularly from thereon in, and the main room will be Northern, and the smaller (upstairs) room will be themed. In fact, I suggested to Kev Roberts the organisor, that a Dungeon Revival would be good, and he went for it. That particular night will be Saturday 14th November, but they start with a different theme as I said earlier, in May.

If you went to the Dungeon in the 60's and remember the likes of Waygoode Ellis, J J Jackson, The Flamingos, Inez And Charlie Foxx, Homer Banks etc, you shouldnt miss the November date, actually you shouldnt really miss any! :ohmy:

Edited by craig strong
Social source share

• 1 month later...
Guest averya

My first soul club I went to was the Dungeon in Nottingham in 1966, I know that with time we look back and think our generation had better clubs/music etc, but the Dungeon (IMO) had it all, two floors playing soul music that you would not find anywhere else, ground breaking music for that period all nighters, all dayers I went to most of them, and yes live artist that now looking back you took for granted, can't recall all the artist you mentioned appearing, I was never into live acts, but certainly the likes of Junior Walker, Mary Wells, Stevie Wonder, Amen Corner (remember this was the begining of the mods).

One all nighter (The Drifters were on) after queing for an hour to get in, then after about another hour, the place was raided by the police both ends of Stamford Street was blocked and everybody was searched, anyone found with anything on them or under 17 was taken to the police Stn, we went down to the Beachcomber were there was another allnight (Lee Dorsey was on).

The Beachcomber in the lace market had 3 floors, another fantastic club playing new sounds to our ears,

From the mid sixties to early seventies it was a great place to in Nottingham with the Dugeon, Beachcomber and of course the Brit, all great soul clubs in their own right.

This of course before Wigan, and "northern" soul (which I never went) yes great days back then, I see a couple of folks that used to go but not many on the scene today, would be great to hear from others that went.

Barry Cooper

God you took me back in time I was there with a few friends from Doncaster and I was under age but kept saying I was older. I remember buses outside taking those who were under age etc to the police station. I know we were standing outside for ages but can't think what we did afterwards. Didn't get to Notts much after that too much going on in Yorkshire. Went to the Wheel a few times and decided last year to go back to the wheel for Sunday sessions but travel by train now not thumbing it in the old days.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest suehey

Malc Burton

I went to the Dungeon and Ad Lib saw England beat Germany in the 1966 world cup at an all dayer. Blue Orchid was the first all nighter I went to......... and Wigan was the last

Social source share

Guest suehey

Barry

OMG I remember Radio and his girlfriend Viv we used to go to their flat near the forest after all nighters

Social source share

• 1 month later...

:D I never did get to go to the Night Owl I used to go to the soho clubs , the totenham royal, stevenage mecca the calli in dunstable I even went to the wheel when I got a chance to get up north? however my elder brother did go a few times I particular remember him comeing home after he saw Ben E King :thumbup: DAVE KIL

Social source share

• 10 months later...
Guest roggert

OMG I remember Radio and his girlfriend Viv we used to go to their flat near the forest after all nighters

hi went to all the clubs in notts dungeon and the wet walls .beachcomber up all those bleeding stairs, nite owl in that warehouse /factory basement and that pillock robin the dj played boogaloo party about 10 times going huh!boogaloo party yeah strange what memories this forum

brings back! also went to a niter at long eaton back in the 60s about the same time as the others were on -only on a couple of times raceway seems to jump up in memory as it 's name. radio was a real character he was around with batman, phil ,eddie and algy from notts and lads from grantham/peterboro toots .little russel and caddy, big sean and dodger

regards roggert

Social source share

Guest fastfeet

went to go to the dungeon beachcomer & night owl i think the last beach comer i went to was amen corner with richard welsh sadly deceased paul perrozy sheffield crew. met up with stu & yan gail sue & monica nots all in the wide awake club

Social source share

• 2 months later...
Guest roggert

One all nighter (The Drifters were on) after queing for an hour to get in, then after about another hour, the place was raided by the police both ends of Stamford Street was blocked and everybody was searched, anyone found with anything on them or under 17 was taken to the police Stn, we went down to the Beachcomber were there was another allnight (Lee Dorsey was on).

From the mid sixties to early seventies it was a great place to in Nottingham with the Dugeon, Beachcomber and of course the Brit, all great soul clubs in their own right.

Barry Cooper

hi nice to know someone remembers pre wigan nighters -i always remember the dungeon first time i heard seven days -chuck wood but mainly remember the damp walls and puddles forming and the chill when they kicked you out !i knew quite a few from notts/derby a guy called radio who claimed no one knew his real name, manfred, algy and loads of mini owners amongst them, one from derby got his totally destroyed at skeggy 1968 when he pulled up at the greasers pub ,threw bars of soap at all the bikers and shouted "GET A BATH YOU LOPPY FUCKERS"THEN STALLED THE ENGINE!!!!!!SECONDS PASSED IN SILENCE THEN ABOUT 40 OF THEM HIT HIS MINI COOPER WITH HAMMERS ,ONE MATE FROM SHEFFIELD HAD 5 TEETH SMASHED OUT AS THE BACK WINDOW WENT THROUGH ,.THE CAR LOST ABOUT A FOOT IN HEIGHT ,THE DRIVER HAD BOTH ARMS SMASHED IN SEVERAL PLACES and i was listening to the orlons spinning top a new release then in a pub just a few hundred feet away WONDERING WHY THERE WERE POLICE RUNNING UP THE ROAD!

the beachcomber was briliant until people seemed to stare at you as you went up what seemed like 500 steps to get adrink then having to face them again as you went down. were there fire escapes that tilted down when you stood on them on the outside of the building or is that another nighter?

Social source share

• 1 month later...
Guest roggert

Mak, surely the owner of the Dungeon was Mick Parker? Most people I know believe that to be the case.

Re where The Dungeon was sited, it was on Stanford Street, just up from where HMV is at the botttom of Wheeler Gate near The Broadmarsh centre.

My first ever visit there was Easter Monday '66, I was only 14 but looked older, and had borrowed a mates Levi jacket for the occasion!

I soon "happened " upon a membership card (pre the orange one) which I doctored to make it appear to be mine, add that to the fact an older mate used to do the door there, Dave Brown, alongside Terry Flynn, so I got in ok.

As for there being 2 floors of music, I certainly dont remember it that way, yes, there were 2 floors, but the upper floor was where you could buy soft drinks, and coffee etc, my memory is telling me that there was a televison up there too, and it was also the area where the "dossers" would sleep, if they hadnt had enough "help" staying awake on a nighter.

I too was there on the night of the raid, werent we expecting either The Drifters ***or "The Fabulous Temptations"? actually not the real Motown lot, hence the additional word included!

It also made headlines in The Sun, and a few of us used to sing Stevie Wonders song "A place in the sun" referring to it!

There were lots of great live acts there, and ive seen Edwin Starr, Lee Dorsey (shook their hands too!) The Spellbinders, The Action, Amen Corner, Root and Jenny Jackson, (a kind of Jamaican Inez and Charlie act) plus many more, as well as in 1967 a band that Mick Parker booked, in the light of the psychedelic era, called This End, they were booed off stage!

Some of the characters I met there were, Stu Morris (doesnt everybody know him!) Jan, Mondo, Sedge, Gabby, Little Eric, Chris Nichols, Pete Blood, Pete Lemon, Manfred. black Eddie, the Mini boys, and loads more.

Hearing the music that Barry the resident dj (and his back up Dave used to play, changed my taste in music completely.

I still see Mondo, and Jan, and occasionally Stu at the soul night at The Regency in Ilkeston, which has now changed venue, and is at The Westgate Suites, West Gate, Long Eaton, final Friday in the month, as ever.

***Just seen in an earlier post, it was indeed The Drifters, well it was a long time back!!

well i just read the old parts of this thread and getting beer into me seems to make the grey cells working =your post mentions several people i knew stu morris -brown levi leather jacket and shaved head( the only other shaved head i d ever seen was yul brynner) manfred always seemed to be off the wall, little eric is someone i thought was from grantham or peterboro for some reason! he always seemed to look bewildered !

Social source share

• 1 month later...

HI MALC

REGARDS SAM MOORE

Sam, never realised you went there at the same time as me, small world or what!

Social source share

• 5 months later...
Guest malc gibbons

:ohmy: my mum and dad went to these. they were from nottinghamshire, and went to these nights before i were born. they both live up north now, so when i go up visiting at xmas,ill see if they have any pics etc or stories to tell, n i can post whatever up. :thumbsup:

it will bring back many memories for your parents--malc(gibby)gibbons

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...
Guest roggert

just thought of another name from the dungeon /beachcomber a guy called radio from notts who always said no one would ever find his real name ,when he was at the mojo alniters in sheffield the only name you could see in his wallet(he let anyone look ) was basset calf !!!!! does anyone really know his name as ive been enquiring over 45years!!!

Social source share

Guest roggert

Barry

just been putting a request up to ask if anyone knew radio should have read ALL the posts on here and yes click was an old time verbaliser along with radio also the mini lads from derby big chris, jimmy fahey who won a dance competition at the ike an tina turner niter at the mojo

Edited by roggert
Social source share

:hatsoff2:

the bar opposite paul smiths was called jallins for a while is this the same place ? downstairs in the basement.

I never knew these 60s nighers existed in nottingham they seem to have been missed out most of the books written about thew era or certainly just skimmed over.

most attention went to the scene in london and twisted wheeel in manchester in what i've read.

great stuff. Woudl be brilliant if somphotos exist.

Social source share

the bar opposite paul smiths was called jallins for a while is this the same place ? downstairs in the basement.

I never knew these 60s nighers existed in nottingham they seem to have been missed out most of the books written about thew era or certainly just skimmed over.

most attention went to the scene in london and twisted wheeel in manchester in what i've read.

great stuff. Woudl be brilliant if somphotos exist.

Yeah Dylan, Byards went on to be named Jallins. Photos would be great if anyone has any - love this local soul history suff

Social source share

hi

the Beachcomber was at the back of the Ad Lib club through an arch and into a court yard. I once left my cloakroom ticket in my coat when I was supposed to be at guides, they wouldn't give me my coat until the end....my mum went mad when I finally got home. I think I was about 14...I'm 58 now and my mum still talks about it!!!!

Social source share

• 5 months later...
Guest malc gibbons

HI MALC

REGARDS SAM MOORE

HI SAM, GREAT COMMENTS.I WAS ALSO AT THE DUNGEON THE NIGHT IT GOT RAIDED,THERE WAS LOADS OF US FROM NORTHANTS.AS YOU SAY WAY BEFORE THE CASINO-ETC.THOSE WERE THE DAYS,HOPE TO CATCH UP IN THE NEAR FUTURE--KTF--GIBBY
Social source share

Guest johnny Lynn

I mentioned the Dungeon etc., in a recent reply..

i went to the Dungeon and ended up being dragged up on Stage with Wilson Picket when he sung 6345789 for the first time in the UK..Also remember the raid.. i didnt get caught but hey ho..Also Remember Pete Blood. Sailor..Stu Morris..Monty etc., does anyone remember The Cherkers Union gang from the Beachcomber!! i.e. Johnny Watson from Kirkby...The Notts MIni boys..Chris Farlow when he played at Trent Bridge.. was it the Brit.. Boat Or Union???

I also went to the Dungeon with Stu Butler at Christmas and ended up getting a good thumping for my trouble..Went down Skeggy and had some real fun fighting with Greasers along the sea front..

A copper ripped my Caravel Sweat Shirt!

The Dungeon closed before it got as established as The Wheel but i am sure if it had stayed open it would have put Notts on the Map.. Why dont we all have a Dungeon revival?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!