Jerry Cook ( I Hurt On The Other Side )

I was listening to a CD that contained " IHOTOS " yesterday , and got a good glow that it still sounded as fresh as it did on my first hearing of it , some 36 years ago .......

What I concluded was , that despite knowing the tune word for word , chord change for chord change , I know nothing about the man himself .......

" IHOTOS " was written by Sidney Barnes and J J Jackson : was JJJ Jerry Cook ? as to my ears , the vocal phrasing on some of the lines are very similar to that of JJJ's recordings , or is Mr Cook another mysterious addition to the folklore of the northern scene ? ......

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Apparently SB knew nothing of the recording. Tremendous record. I sorely miss my Capitol demo. :-(

A fact that sadly was the case in those days , for many of the writers of songs : I doubt that he - or JJ Jackson - saw any money from Trio Company Music , who published the song .......

Malc Burton

Social source share

Guest melandthensome

A question Ive asked many a time does anyone know about jerry cook.......

as mentioned above Sidney Barnes says he doent know of him I heard him say it on the R Searlings show......then again Ive spoken with a few artists over the years and asked various things where they have denied any knowledge of the question I had asked only to find out later they were being lets say 'very discreet'

cheers

mel or is it :g:

Social source share

Guest melandthensome

Absolute top chewn and then some Ive had a green demo for years sold one but just had to get another.......the best version by far in my opinion........

Hey Rod

mein gott.........

mel ph34r.gif

Social source share

Absolute top chewn and then some Ive had a green demo for years sold one but just had to get another.......the best version by far in my opinion........

Hey Rod

mein gott.........

mel :thumbsup:

Remember talking to Sid Barnes for quite a while at The Dome after Backdoor Kenny told me he was Duke Browner????????

One of those nights eh!

A couple of weeks later he played at the 100Club with Hoagy Lands and I managed to sing some IHOTOS with him live tho'he sounded better than me.

We squared the name check but he didn't give me any info on Jerry Cook-I always thought it was Little Jerry Cook when he got a bit bigger! laugh.gif

Edited by Kev Moore
Social source share

Guest melandthensome

Remember talking to Sid Barnes for quite a while at The Dome after Backdoor Kenny told me he was Duke Browner????????

One of those nights eh!

A couple of weeks later he played at the 100Club with Hoagy Lands and I managed to sing some IHOTOS with him live tho'he sounded better than me.

We squared the name check but he didn't give me any info on Jerry Cook-I always thought it was Little Jerry Cook when he got a bit bigger! :D

Great stuff Kev :D

Social source share

Not so good when I started singing I'd quaffed a few as you can imagine. :D

With thanks to a good friend , the mystery surrounding Jerry Cook has been solved .........

Jerry Cook - his real name - is alive and well , and lives in Salt Lake City Utah , USA .......

Jerry was given his chance at Capitol ( like so many others at the time ) , but unfortunately , when " I Hurt On The Other Side " failed to make an impact , he was not given a contract . He made another record - funk orientated - at the beginning of the 70s , which again failed to be successful . He is no longer associated with the music scene .........

Malc Burton

Social source share

Guest melandthensome

With thanks to a good friend , the mystery surrounding Jerry Cook has been solved .........

Jerry Cook - his real name - is alive and well , and lives in Salt Lake City Utah , USA .......

Jerry was given his chance at Capitol ( like so many others at the time ) , but unfortunately , when " I Hurt On The Other Side " failed to make an impact , he was not given a contract . He made another record - funk orientated - at the beginning of the 70s , which again failed to be successful . He is no longer associated with the music scene .........

Malc Burton

Many thanks for that Malc...........

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Malc Burton

Hope he's now aware that he made a tremendous record that we all love to this day!

Another anecdote:

One time, when Colin Curtis was playing the Sidney Barnes version at the Mecca, a chap came up to the decks and said; "Wo' mate! - I've got another version of that!" Colin relayed the info over the mike saying "... so if anyone knows what this other version is, we'd be very interested to hear it..." :D

(Cruel, but quite funny at the time!)

Social source share

Hey Rod

mein gott.........

mel :D

Each to his own I guess....Both great :lol: but I personally prefer the Sidney Barnes version

vote anyone ??

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Each to his own I guess....Both great yes.gif but I personally prefer the Sidney Barnes version

vote anyone ??

I hereby cast 15 million votes for Jerry Cook! (The voting is now closed) :thumbup:

Social source share

One of those nights eh!

We squared the name check but he didn't give me any info on Jerry Cook-I always thought it was Little Jerry Cook when he got a bit bigger! :lol:

and you believed him ???.......come on kev, kenny looks nothing like duke browner

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Believe me he did that night. Don't know who was worse me or Kenny.

But it was good talking to Sid/Duke about Impa biggrin.gif ct records.

Maybe Jerry Cook looks like Duke Browner... :ohmy:

Social source share

• 8 years later...
On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2008 at 19:58, melandthensome said:

Hey Rod

mein gott.........

mel ph34r.gif

Agree, it is the best version by a whisker... :wink: :hatsoff2: 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, Bruv said:

Agree, it is the best version by a whisker... :wink: :hatsoff2: 

Bruv

rather than commenting on posts from nearly 10 years ago you may get better discussion going if you comment on current topics or start your own up

just a thought?

• Up vote 1
Social source share

8 hours ago, mike said:

Bruv

rather than commenting on posts from nearly 10 years ago you may get better discussion going if you comment on current topics or start your own up

just a thought?

Will do Mike, I do enjoy looking back on the old threads though. :) 

Social source share

Guest Spain pete

Same as.  Bruv . music is our sanctuary 🎶🎶🎶👍

2 hours ago, Bruv said:

Will do Mike, I do enjoy looking back on the old threads though. :) 

Social source share

On 11/11/2008 at 21:57, mel brat said:

Hope he's now aware that he made a tremendous record that we all love to this day!

Another anecdote:

One time, when Colin Curtis was playing the Sidney Barnes version at the Mecca, a chap came up to the decks and said; "Wo' mate! - I've got another version of that!" Colin relayed the info over the mike saying "... so if anyone knows what this other version is, we'd be very interested to hear it..." :D

(Cruel, but quite funny at the time!)

Slightly off the thread but I remember a certain "young Soulie" asking Mr Levine at the same Mecca for a record called "I'm a fatso", as the young lad honestly thought that was the title.No prizes for guessing what it was.lol!                              Regards Fred 

Social source share

• 3 years later...
On 12/11/2008 at 05:04, Guest said:

Malc Burton

Is it now accepted that Jerry Cook was in fact a real person, an artist in his own right, not another vocalist operating under a  pseudonym ?

There may still be some mystery about Jerry Cook because this release on TREK was just sold on Ebay in July of this year. It's a record that until now appears to be previously undocumented ... at least not before on Ebay or Discogs. Interesting that it is also produced by Arthur Wright ... who was the arranger on I Hurt On The Other Side. And a publishing date of 1977, some 10 years after I Hurt On The Other Side ?  

There is also another release by a "Jerry Cook" out of Springfield Illinois. Is it the same artist ?

image.thumb.png.66b8b943c7a420e399e27d559dbc70be.png

Jerry Cook.jpg

• Up vote 1
Social source share

• 3 months later...
On 08/09/2020 at 02:46, Sunnysoul said:

Is it now accepted that Jerry Cook was in fact a real person, an artist in his own right, not another vocalist operating under a  pseudonym ?

There may still be some mystery about Jerry Cook because this release on TREK was just sold on Ebay in July of this year. It's a record that until now appears to be previously undocumented ... at least not before on Ebay or Discogs. Interesting that it is also produced by Arthur Wright ... who was the arranger on I Hurt On The Other Side. And a publishing date of 1977, some 10 years after I Hurt On The Other Side ?  

There is also another release by a "Jerry Cook" out of Springfield Illinois. Is it the same artist ?

Thanks for info ... for some reason I was interested in finding out more about Jerry Cook and came across this 'old' thread, but as you've recently posted on it I thought I'd comment.

The two records you've highlighted still aren't listed on Discogs or 45Cat (there's another JC 45 listed on Troyx (Hollywood, CA) from 1970 and one on Applause (Nebraska) from 1960 on 45Cat which I'm pretty sure isn't him (there's as clip of both sides on YT) so I went searching on BMI hoping to find some sort of a link. 

Several Jerry Cooks listed but none lists either of these songs (could be registered under a different name or spelling but too many cooks to search .... spoil the broth!), searched by title and nothing.  It is not uncommon for someone being credited as composer on label who had nothing to do with it! So looked at publishers ... all listed on BMI but neither of these tracks are showing ... which seems odd ..  it states BMI on label .... did they not bother registering   ... or perhaps it wasn't their song to register and they just put Jerry Cook as writer to cover their tracks?   The plot thickens - who knows what went on?

References:

Competition Music (seems to have been owned by Arthur Wright) , https://repertoire.bmi.com/Catalog.aspx?detail=pubid&keyid=69100&subid=0&page=1&fromrow=1&torow=25

Trek Publishing 

https://repertoire.bmi.com/Catalog.aspx?detail=pubid&page=1&fromrow=1&torow=25&keyid=347920&subid=0

Lincoln Land Music

https://repertoire.bmi.com/Catalog.aspx?

detail=pubid&page=1&fromrow=1&torow=25&keyid=202916&subid=0

NB I found only one other 45 pubished by Lincoln Land - it is also on Mid West by The Ebonies and both these sides are registered on BMI. https://www.discogs.com/The-Ebonies-You-Got-What-I-Want/release/7155005

The Jerry Cook Troyx 45's B side 'Funky Wagon' is credited to Jerry Cook as composer and that doesn't exist on BMI either although the A side 'Hey Mrs. Jones' does which I think this is a different song to that recorded by Ramsey Lewis, Jimmy Witherspoon, Checkmates Ltd and others as different writers.

https://www.discogs.com/Jerry-Cook-Hey-Mrs-Jones/release/9320695

So, anyway after all that still none the wiser!  It seems a bit odd that all 3 songs credited to Jerry Cook are not registered on BMI even though the publishers are?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!