Name All Detroit 60s Labels

Guest melandthensome

Here's a few more additions in alpahabetical order....

1) Fenton

2) Gold (the Cortez Young label not one with Brooks O'dell)

3) I.P.G.

4) Penny

5) Twirl- early releases (Johnny and the Hurricanes, Bobbie Smith) show Detroit on the label.

6) Wee-3

7) Workshop Jazz

8) Zelman

Here's a few you might want to delete-1) Prophonics (label says Mt. Morris which is about

75 miles away) 2) Whitfield ( didn't get up and running until 1976/77) 3) Dee Gee- I would

swear this was based in Los Angeles.

Social source share

• Replies 463
  • Views 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Here's a few more additions in alpahabetical order....

1) Fenton

2) Gold (the Cortez Young label not one with Brooks O'dell)

3) I.P.G.

4) Penny

5) Twirl- early releases (Johnny and the Hurricanes, Bobbie Smith) show Detroit on the label.

6) Wee-3

7) Workshop Jazz

8) Zelman

Here's a few you might want to delete-1) Prophonics (label says Mt. Morris which is about

75 miles away) 2) Whitfield ( didn't get up and running until 1976/77) 3) Dee Gee- I would

swear this was based in Los Angeles.

is IPG definitely detroit? the biggest hit on the label was jay wiggins sad girl, isn't he an east coast artist? I know the barbees is on the label, but I always thought it was an easy coast label.

Social source share

you sure about Crow and Flaming Arrow, though we was decided it wasn't Detroit and Dave Thorley said no one in Detroit knew anything of it. Sure it's Chicago, BobA will know.

It took a long time to find, but the owner did live in Detroit, now dead. He just seemed to work very much on his own, didn't use Detroit artists or musicians on his recordings. Some things were recorded in Chicago, maybe Detroit as well, but non of the major studios remember him. Still trying to track more info down, might find out more on my next trip.

Social source share

Hi Carl

Some of the below are not Detroit, but other Michigan labels and some are 70's onwards. A fair few Michigan labels get credited to Detroit, but had little connection. Marked a few examples.

i can't think of a detroit "teen town" but it's possible? (right ronnie and robin!)

others are

Ridge

Baby

ypsi (70's)

m-s

new day

O'clock

vantage point

Skin to Skin

Bronse

T-V

Fine Art

Knowles

Latin American

Staff

Dee Gee

Tribe

V.I.P.

Sound patterns

Sound Impressions

C&T

Gig

Lando

Lendo

Autocap

Circus

Fox

Venus

Mail Call

Dial

Nu-Sound

Val

Enterprise

Quality

Avenue

Stepp

Sonbert

Wildcat

Ultimate 1999 (70/80's)

us america

E V

Torch

Brilliant Mind (Flint)

Voyage

Dark Mirror

Fee

chex

Checkmate

Deltron

Hercules

Soul Ave

Fulton

Lake

GeNeva

Top Ten

Birdie

Mier

Joy

Eastbound

Westbound

National

Get Down (70's)

Red Cap

Fee

Detroit Gold

Out Front

Gemni

CM

Ston-Roc

Black Gold

Triple b?

Single B

Boo-Ga-loo?

Sherwood?

Audrey

Celebrity

Megas

Hot Wax

Invictus

Ecology

Tortoise

Gloreco

Music Merchant

Sock-It

Lu-Mar?

Marquee

JMC

Pesents Records

Music Town

Stag

Ruby

Genesis

Soulapple

Velvet sound (70's)

Jump off?

Sa-mo

Big Mack not big mac

parkside

reliant

Atkins All-Star (70's)

Velvet Bullet?

ESP

Bumpshop

Big "D" records

Adell

Future Electric

detroit country

Ge Ge

showboat (70's)

strate

coup? (barrett strong)

Red Line (70's)

Soya

Ghetto? (sunrise movement)

Eclipse

Dynamics

three G's? (superlatives)

Candi

Bernard

Nemo Express? (tempting Five)

Soul-o-sonic

Ren-Cen

Jerry-O

Rolyat productions

Sound Trek? (Top Shelf)

Top Dog

Sensation (Total capacity)

May Day

Whitfield??

Career World

Joy (Flint/Saginaw)

groove city

Syco? (Jimmy Holland)

Marathon

Rob Ron

Ron Hol

SoulHawk

Rayber

Checkmate

Danceland

Gail & Rice

Burnie's Label

MotorPool

Dode

Sorry but i'm sure there some duplication.

Social source share

Thats what i said !! ohmy.gif

Sure there`s a Winley out of NYC but I am also somewhat sure that my copy of the Creations/Paul Winley bears a Detroit adress...

As I was deejaying last night I sadly had no chance to have a look at my records for any additions but I see we have been very creative anyway. Would saave poor old Chalky some work if we all read closely before adding new ones as a lot of double and three time namings have been posted :thumbup:

Marc

Social source share

A nice job Chalky and I hate to nit-pick but you've got "Detroit Sound" and "The Detroit Sound". Actually thinking about it,are they different labels? "The De..." is Sequins. Robert Walker and assorted garage bands is different design.

ROD

will double check Rod but sure The Detroit Sound and Detroit Sound are two different labels.

Social source share

Chalky, as I mentioned previously.. you can deffo put W.I.G. on the list (part of Sidra) also Bantu and International Hits are another 2 that I don't think I can see on the list.

Re Music Town... always thort that was Philly? (Frankford Wayne stamp and all that) or is there another "Music Town" other than the one the connecticut group "Detroit Soul" was on?

steve

Social source share

This probably doesn't help but back in '79 I came across thousands of Music Merchant 45s in an abandoned factory in Detroit. Bit odd if they were pressed/originated on West Coast. I kinda thought that HDH based label there to utilise local talent when Motown moved out.

Where's ME-O from then. Tootsie R's sounds Detroit-ish and Martineques are from there I think. May be Ohio though I guess. Matrix is M1002A with "H" opposite on Martineques so that's some guide for someone with more knowledge of pressing plants etc.

ROD

Social source share

This probably doesn't help but back in '79 I came across thousands of Music Merchant 45s in an abandoned factory in Detroit. Bit odd if they were pressed/originated on West Coast. I kinda thought that HDH based label there to utilise local talent when Motown moved out.

Where's ME-O from then. Tootsie R's sounds Detroit-ish and Martineques are from there I think. May be Ohio though I guess. Matrix is M1002A with "H" opposite on Martineques so that's some guide for someone with more knowledge of pressing plants etc.

ROD

We discussed the Me-O Label some while back and sure we came to the conclusion that it was West Coast label. Sure they are RCA pressed and the H is RCA's Hollywood pressing plant.

I know Music Merchant has lot of Detroit connections but the address according to (the often wrong) R&B Indies is 1800 North Argyle Ave, Hollywood. I would have though though with National distribution it would be pressed all over???

Social source share

We discussed the Me-O Label some while back and sure we came to the conclusion that it was West Coast label. Sure they are RCA pressed and the H is RCA's Hollywood pressing plant.

I know Music Merchant has lot of Detroit connections but the address according to (the often wrong) R&B Indies is 1800 North Argyle Ave, Hollywood. I would have though though with National distribution it would be pressed all over???

i didn't know then, but i'm pretty sure now that me-o is definitely la, run by a guy named romeo taylor

Social source share

Tru-Ba-Dor still to be added to list Chalky

also wondered bout Rich being on there, if this is the JJ Barnes, Cornell Blakely label, then it was based in Nashville. so three I would question about being Detroit based would be "Big Wheel" "Music Town" and "Rich" tho am probs wrong :rolleyes:

Getting to be an impresive list of labels, so many important labels from, I'd say the most important city concerning Northern Soul

steve

Social source share

re DRUMHEAD:

seems silly to exclude it based on lathrup village address; lathrup village is a very near suburb of detroit, so this is completely different from a label being based in, say, saginaw, flint, or grand rapids. if we're going to be this strict, we'd have to lose mutt, too, since it was based in inkster, another suburb.

what about the BURT label? strictly speaking nashville-based, but surely a detroit connection, right? part of magic city setup, owned by ernest burt...did it start in detroit and then relocate to nashville with mr. burt?

Social source share

Tru-Ba-Dor still to be added to list Chalky

also wondered bout Rich being on there, if this is the JJ Barnes, Cornell Blakely label, then it was based in Nashville. so three I would question about being Detroit based would be "Big Wheel" "Music Town" and "Rich" tho am probs wrong :rolleyes:

Getting to be an impresive list of labels, so many important labels from, I'd say the most important city concerning Northern Soul

steve

Big Wheel, although the label owner Frank Kosian was from NY, everything on the label was recorded in Detroit (Golden World & Untied Sound), certainly everything by the Falcons. The Falcons also did the backing on Sandy Hollis, thats why left that in there.

Rich, I can remove but again according to R&B indies 1801 was subsidary of Motown as well as distributed by Motown. MUsic Town again Detroit according to R&B Indies, can anyone confirm otherwise? I had an article somewhere about Detroit Soul from some for forum or other that I'm looking for.

R&B Indies is often wrong so again looking for confirmation one way or t'other.

Tru-Ba-Dor added.

Social source share

re DRUMHEAD:

seems silly to exclude it based on lathrup village address; lathrup village is a very near suburb of detroit, so this is completely different from a label being based in, say, saginaw, flint, or grand rapids. if we're going to be this strict, we'd have to lose mutt, too, since it was based in inkster, another suburb.

what about the BURT label? strictly speaking nashville-based, but surely a detroit connection, right? part of magic city setup, owned by ernest burt...did it start in detroit and then relocate to nashville with mr. burt?

I've added Drunhead. But one or two earlier suggested some included that aren't strictly Detroit that's why wasn't included earlier.

Burt added also, Detroit address according to info in front of me.

Social source share

Big Wheel, although the label owner Frank Kosian was from NY, everything on the label was recorded in Detroit (Golden World & Untied Sound), certainly everything by the Falcons. The Falcons also did the backing on Sandy Hollis, thats why left that in there.

Fair enough. I agree about the Falcons, Sandy Hollis, and even the Bettye LaVette disc (which actually is Jobete both sides) just thort we was listing labels that were actually based in Detroit.

Rich, I can remove but again according to R&B indies 1801 was subsidary of Motown as well as distributed by Motown.

1801 (Cornell Blakely) was indeed a Motown master but I think John Richborough (label owner) used a lot of different record companies to distribute the labels output, I know the JJ Barnes (with an early Vandellas backing) was distributed by Ace records.

MUsic Town again Detroit according to R&B Indies, can anyone confirm otherwise? I had an article somewhere about Detroit Soul from some for forum or other that I'm looking for.

R&B Indies is often wrong so again looking for confirmation one way or t'other.

Tru-Ba-Dor added.

Social source share

Inferno sub of Motown i think,not the same as if you ever walk out of my life isnt that detriot aswell or are they the same?

Edited by ken
Social source share

Guest mel brat

Inferno sub of Motown i think,not the same as if you ever walk out of my life isnt that detriot aswell or are they the same?

The 'Motown' Inferno incarnation (different design, and pressed on vinyl) was presumably a product of Motown having bought up the Inferno roster, probably at the time they acquired Ric-Tic - hence the Volumes release. (Was theirs the only release on the Motown Inferno label?, I forget...)

Plus the Lollipops turned up on VIP with the superb and sadly underrated "Cheating Is Telling On You", (a far better song than "Loving Good Feeling" in my opinion!)

Social source share

Oasis (50's)

Ruth

O'mack (late 50's)

Wheels Four (dearborn)

MSK

Hideout

Punch

Revival

Al-Jacks

War Conn

JWJ (allegan)

A-Squared (Ann Arbor)

Hyland

J&E (gospel)

JBE (Gospel)

Ella Jones (gospel)

Kno-Mar (gospel)

archer (childrens record)

Saint

Blaze

HJB (gospel)

Top Hat

Edited by carl_p
Social source share

The 'Motown' Inferno incarnation (different design, and pressed on vinyl) was presumably a product of Motown having bought up the Inferno roster, probably at the time they acquired Ric-Tic - hence the Volumes release. (Was theirs the only release on the Motown Inferno label?, I forget...)

Three other releases by the Detroit wheels.

Edited by ken
Social source share

As it's Mel's thread was he wanting Detroit labels with soul/Northern releases only. I don't think Hideout has any,nor Fenton and A squared. Otherwise you're gonna be missing a lot of labels unless someone into 60's garage contributes.

RPR is West Coast address although did distribute "Like my baby",Dynamo subsid of Musicor with only Wylie Hester connection from Stanley Mitchell/Platters. Anyway sure you know that. Don't think Garrison is Detroit either. Subsid of Wand and checking matrix of Honeybees against Clarence Reid they are very similar

Honeybees 50642 [sratched] and a M or W or squiggle [hard to make out]

Clarence Reid 50589 and as above.

ROD

Social source share

Didn't think Magic Touch was strictly Detroit, more a label with a few Detroit releases?

Magic Touch (one with Rabbit in hat logo) is from Milwaukee. R&B Indies does list another Magic Touch with one release 007 Herman Griffin from 1968 and lists it as Detroit.

Should Big Wheel be removed from the list, practically everything about it Detroit except it's address?

Social source share

Should Big Wheel be removed from the list, practically everything about it Detroit except it's address?

Another label thats so Detroit but maybe classed as Chicago is Boo. Label owner Ric Williams is Chicago, but he set up the label for Bridges Knight & Eaton who I'm sure based themselves in Detroit, and I know a lot of the label output was recorded at Tera Shirma, Where would we class Boo and indeed Aquarius for that matter (another Ric Williams label) What do think? I'm well impressed with the list so far. next is a discog of them all please! :thumbsup:

steve

Social source share

Magic Touch (one with Rabbit in hat logo) is from Milwaukee. R&B Indies does list another Magic Touch with one release 007 Herman Griffin from 1968 and lists it as Detroit.

Of Course and JJ Barnes "To An Early Grave", subsidiary of Ram-Brock!! Maroon label

Cez-Vista?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!