Square Peg, Skegg

coops

Square Peg, Skegg, Nov15th

The Peg Promoters thought they may take a bit of a hit on this one, not through negatives at their end but because of Kev Thomas' big bash just up the road at Cleethorpes.

The Peg team wished the Big Man all the best on his Big Day and just tightened their belts in advance.

In the end there was no need and also no need to worry, a few people were lost to the Cleggy event but not anywhere as near as many as was feared.

People from Lincoln, Nottingham, Boston St.Ives and all points between turned up to hear a legendary top dee-jay line up and there couldn't have been many venues that could beat the quality of tunes at the Peg this night.

First on was local man and new Peg resident Brian 'Hobbo' Hobson who started the night of with a mix of tunes that were as diverse as they were pleasing, Brians' top three of his set were: Percy Stone & the Explosions - Chained : Chuck Cockerham - Have I Got A Right and Norris Vines - Give In.

Next up was Janice Price who kindly answered the 'advert' for a dee-jay for the night on the Soul Source forum. Janice came along with her husband Gareth ( a very nice couple of people in deed) and both soon settled in at the Peg and enjoyed it's unique atmosphere. Janice provided an hour of excellent modern and cross-over including: Robin Thicke - Magic : Keisha Cole - Never and Marvin Gaye - Let's Get It On (re-mix).

A set appreciated by all (as were the other dee-jays') but especially by myself, her choice of tunes was most certainly in harmony with mine and many others' tastes.

Then Peg regular from Peterborough (one of two regular 'Boro boys here this night, both equally loved and respected by the locals) Andrew 'Smudge' Smith who laid upon the decks a quality mixture of quality soul crossing the decades from 60s, 70s & 80s. Smudges' top three plays were: Moody Scott - My Lovely Lady (he dedicated this to me as I recently gave a copy away totally unaware of the £400+ price tag it now has.... Thanks Smudge!!!!) JT Rhythm - My Sweet Baby and the Peg favourite Bob and Fred - I'll Be On My Way.

Carl Fortnum (someone I remember as a young teenager in my home town of Stamford many years ago, and when I returned to the scene in 2001 had no idea he was a top line dee-jay, that's how far away from the scene I was at one point!) Carl treated us to yet another hour of top quality tunes including: The Turks - Girl You Know It's Time : Frank Foster - Movin' From Detroit and Billy Woods - Let Me Make you Happy. (The Billy Woods was requested by me, not just because I love the tune but also because I just love seeing it on that Sussex original).

Carl also played Swiss Movement - I wish Our Love Would Last, another one I gave away without an inclination to how much worth it had gained since I bought it in the early 80s, bit of a theme developing here!!!!

Bostons' Andy Rix then took over for an hour, (someone else I knew as a teenager and had no idea he had taken on such a polished dee-jay mantle whilst I was 'resting' from this scene of ours.

Andy, like Carl, Smudge and Janice purveyed a selection of Northern Soul as to make lesser willed people cry with envy including: Alexander Patten - True Love : Glady Knight - Nothing but a Fool and Volcanos - Stay (awesome tune).

Penultimate dee-jay for the event was that other 'Boro favourite Stuart 'Skip' Skipworth who aimed his 'northern arrows' straight into the hearts of the local Peg-ites, although Skip had only half-an-hour he filled the 30 minutes with what the floor wanted to hear (as did all the other dee-jays) including: Tower of Power - This Time's For Real : Mayfield Singers - Don't Start None and Duke Browner - Cryin' Over You.

The attendees of the Peg were treated to some top-draw soul of the Northern Variety this night, a night us locals certainly won't forget.

It was left for me to round the night off, we finished early, 3:00 a.m. as so many visitors were travellers they all had long journeys home, just for good measure, my three: Eddie Holman - I Need Somebody : Booker T & the MGs - Comin' Home Baby and Brother's Guiding Light - Getting Together.

Considering we thought we'd take a hit we actually became a hit for all those that were at the Peg to hear tunes that are almost to die for.

Images on: https://squarepegsoul.web.officelive.com/default.aspx

Edited by coops
  • Replies 14
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Square Peg, Skegg, Nov15th

The Peg Promoters thought they may take a bit of a hit on this one, not through negatives at their end but because of Kev Thomas' big bash just up the road at Cleethorpes.

The Peg team wished the Big Man all the best on his Big Day and just tightened their belts in advance.

In the end there was no need and also no need to worry, a few people were lost to the Cleggy event but not anywhere as near as many as was feared.

People from Lincoln, Nottingham, Boston St.Ives and all points between turned up to hear a legendary top dee-jay line up and there couldn't have been many venues that could beat the quality of tunes at the Peg this night.

First on was local man and new Peg resident Brian 'Hobbo' Hobson who started the night of with a mix of tunes that were as diverse as they were pleasing, Brians' top three of his set were: Percy Stone & the Explosions - Chained : Chuck Cockerham - Have I Got A Right and Norris Vines - Give In.

Next up was Janice Price who kindly answered the 'advert' for a dee-jay for the night on the Soul Source forum. Janice came along with her husband Gareth ( a very nice couple of people in deed) and both soon settled in at the Peg and enjoyed it's unique atmosphere. Janice provided an hour of excellent modern and cross-over including: Robin Thicke - Magic : Keisha Cole - Never and Marvin Gaye - Let's Get It On (re-mix).

A set appreciated by all (as were the other dee-jays') but especially by myself, her choice of tunes was most certainly in harmony with mine and many others' tastes.

Then Peg regular from Peterborough (one of two regular 'Boro boys here this night, both equally loved and respected by the locals) Andrew 'Smudge' Smith who laid upon the decks a quality mixture of quality soul crossing the decades from 60s, 70s & 80s. Smudges' top three plays were: Moody Scott - My Lovely Lady (he dedicated this to me as I recently gave a copy away totally unaware of the £400+ price tag it now has.... Thanks Smudge!!!!) JT Rhythm - My Sweet Baby and the Peg favourite Bob and Fred - I'll Be On My Way.

Carl Fortnum (someone I remember as a young teenager in my home town of Stamford many years ago, and when I returned to the scene in 2001 had no idea he was a top line dee-jay, that's how far away from the scene I was at one point!) Carl treated us to yet another hour of top quality tunes including: The Turks - Girl You Know It's Time : Frank Foster - Movin' From Detroit and Billy Woods - Let Me Make you Happy. (The Billy Woods was requested by me, not just because I love the tune but also because I just love seeing it on that Sussex original).

Carl also played Swiss Movement - I wish Our Love Would Last, another one I gave away without an inclination to how much worth it had gained since I bought it in the early 80s, bit of a theme developing here!!!!

Bostons' Andy Rix then took over for an hour, (someone else I knew as a teenager and had no idea he had taken on such a polished dee-jay mantle whilst I was 'resting' from this scene of ours.

Andy, like Carl, Smudge and Janice purveyed a selection of Northern Soul as to make lesser willed people cry with envy including: Alexander Patten - True Love : Glady Knight - Nothing but a Fool and Volcanos - Stay (awesome tune).

Penultimate dee-jay for the event was that other 'Boro favourite Stuart 'Skip' Skipworth who aimed his 'northern arrows' straight into the hearts of the local Peg-ites, although Skip had only half-an-hour he filled the 30 minutes with what the floor wanted to hear (as did all the other dee-jays) including: Tower of Power - This Time's For Real : Mayfield Singers - Don't Start None and Duke Browner - Cryin' Over You.

The attendees of the Peg were treated to some top-draw soul of the Northern Variety this night, a night us locals certainly won't forget.

It was left for me to round the night off, we finished early, 3:00 a.m. as so many visitors were travellers they all had long journeys home, just for good measure, my three: Eddie Holman - I Need Somebody : Booker T & the MGs - Comin' Home Baby and Brother's Guiding Light - Getting Together.

Considering we thought we'd take a hit we actually became a hit for all those that were at the Peg to hear tunes that are almost to die for.

Images on: https://squarepeg.giving.officelive.com/

Sounds like a cracking night coops, glad it went well for ya mate :unsure:

Bit late getting there after having a few hours at Madkevs bash,needed a proper pint after all that fizzypiss coz i was driving,would have loved to hear janices set as people i spoke to on the night said it would have been right up my street, ah well,crowd bit thinner than normal,or is it bogey,s getting slimmer :wicked: Thought andy rix,s set was up there with the best, and a sight rarer than a total eclipse was rob thomas dancing :thumbsup:

Well done jocks and promoters

Guest Biggie G

Just wanted to say a big thankyou to all the guys for making us so welcome. Our first time at the peg and what a superb venue. Everybody was really nice and we had a really good night, only sorry we had to leave a little early, but we will back.

The music was spot on all night and it really was accross the board which each dj playing a spectrum of music.

Thanks again and we will see you soon.

Cheers

Gareth and Janice

Edited by Biggie G

:lol: I'm GUTTED !! What a fantastic looking night to have missed :no:

That's the downside of not being able to be in more than one place at once (even if I have been known to unwittingly book myself three dj spots on the one saturday - I managed two of them.. :lol: ).

The DJ line-up is not one I will get to witness again for a long time, I bet. Andy & Carl, alone, on the same bill would be enough for me but complimented by young Smudge, too - and, added to the fray, the joys offered up by the other entertainment managers of the evening.. I'M GUTTED !!

Pleased for you, though, Mick - and look forward to being able to confirm a date for my attendance soon. Sod work !! Eh, Mick ?? That February date is looking more appealing to me by the second !! :no: Will try to sort out either way asap and drop you a pm.

In the meantime - keep up the (obviously) good work.. sounds as though the Square Peg has got something a little bit SPECIAL. :lol:

Fingers.. :lol:

:boxing:I'm GUTTED !! What a fantastic looking night to have missed :D

That's the downside of not being able to be in more than one place at once (even if I have been known to unwittingly book myself three dj spots on the one saturday - I managed two of them.. :thumbsup: ).

The DJ line-up is not one I will get to witness again for a long time, I bet. Andy & Carl, alone, on the same bill would be enough for me but complimented by young Smudge, too - and, added to the fray, the joys offered up by the other entertainment managers of the evening.. I'M GUTTED !!

Pleased for you, though, Mick - and look forward to being able to confirm a date for my attendance soon. Sod work !! Eh, Mick ?? That February date is looking more appealing to me by the second !! biggrin.gif Will try to sort out either way asap and drop you a pm.

In the meantime - keep up the (obviously) good work.. sounds as though the Square Peg has got something a little bit SPECIAL. :thumbsup:

Fingers.. :thumbup:

thanks johnny, you know you'll be welcome when you can finally 'squeeze us in' take care my friend.

Guest smudgesmith

:DI'm GUTTED !! What a fantastic looking night to have missed :)

That's the downside of not being able to be in more than one place at once (even if I have been known to unwittingly book myself three dj spots on the one saturday - I managed two of them.. :lol: ).

Pleased for you, though, Mick - and look forward to being able to confirm a date for my attendance soon. Sod work !! Eh, Mick ?? That February date is looking more appealing to me by the second !! :( Will try to sort out either way asap and drop you a pm.

In the meantime - keep up the (obviously) good work.. sounds as though the Square Peg has got something a little bit SPECIAL. :)

Fingers.. :lol:

Johnny you are a DJ Hoare :lol::lol: nice to see you are taking an interest in the "PEG"

Love and Kisses SMUDGE

Source Advert