Same Old Same Old

Guest mikecook

The phrase "same old, same old" is used frequently to describe records that are played out time and time again.

So what are the records that are considered to be the 'same old, same old' that people are tired of hearing when they attend a venue?

Does the phrase include 'classics' such as these that have been continually played since the year dot?

Epitome of Sound- You don't love me

Dynells - Call on me

Jack Montgomery- My Dear beloved

Sam Fletcher - I'd think it over

The Majestics-(I love her so much) It hurts me

The Seven Souls- I Still love you

please feel free to add the tracks that you are tired of hearing when you go out...........

Social source share

• Replies 82
  • Views 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

The phrase "same old, same old" is used frequently to describe records that are played out time and time again.

So what are the records that are considered to be the 'same old, same old' that people are tired of hearing when they attend a venue?

Does the phrase include 'classics' such as these that have been continually played since the year dot?

Dynells - Call on me

please feel free to add the tracks that you are tired of hearing when you go out...........

No way would i include these tracks in a same old, same old list :yes:

I can think of loads that i would include though, i'll be back with my same old list later :D

JB xxxKTFxxx

Social source share

I can think of loads that i would include though, i'll be back with my same old list later :D

JB xxxKTFxxx

Why not??? i love these tracks and enjoy hearing them but they are continually played, and played, and played...ad infinitum

Social source share

Why not??? i love these tracks and enjoy hearing them but they are continually played, and played, and played...ad infinitum

Why not? Well its because i had a break from the scene for 26 years, got married at 18 had kids etc.......came back on the scene just over 3 years ago and these tracks were new to me, as i'd not heard them before, so these tracks are not played out oldies to me, so thats why. :D

And as for Ruby Andrews that was the first track that totally blew me away. :yes:

JB xxxKTFxxx

Social source share

Guest thenogger

Some more "SAME OLD,SAME OLD"

Connie Clark - My sugar baby

Jimmy Mack - My world is on fire

Doni Burdick - Bari Track

Salvadors - Stick by me baby

Tony Middleton - To the ends of the earth

Dean Courtney - (Love) you just can't walk away

NOW THOSE FEW RECORDS ARE OF THE TOP OF MY HEAD

Since i started going in 1972 i must heard 1,000's of records and all that DJ's seem to do is to play safe records. But such is life.

REGARDS

thenogger

Social source share

JB xxxKTFxxx

i have all the tracks mentioned so far!! & have played 3 of them once each over the last 6 months!

but it would not matter to me if i heard them every week!! they are all quality tunes!!

max..

Social source share

Why not? Well its because i had a break from the scene for 26 years, got married at 18 had kids etc.......came back on the scene just over 3 years ago and these tracks were new to me, as i'd not heard them before, so these tracks are not played out oldies to me, so thats why. :no:

And as for Ruby Andrews that was the first track that totally blew me away. :yes:

JB xxxKTFxxx

Also forgot to mention, i was unaware that the scene still existed. :D

JB xxxKTFxxx

Social source share

Guest bazrico

here we go again

whats good for one person is bad for another, check out the dj list and if you have been around for a few years you should know who plays what.

Edited by bazrico
Social source share

Frank Wilson Do I love you ! Been played to death for more years than I can remember but still fills the dance floor. Surely its a case of picking your venues to your taste. I went to Blackpool and knew what to expect and really enjoyed myself but reading the talkback thread loads of people didn't. I'd of thought by now they would know what to expect from Kev's do's

Regards

Ian

Social source share

Frank Wilson Do I love you ! Been played to death for more years than I can remember but still fills the dance floor. Surely its a case of picking your venues to your taste. I went to Blackpool and knew what to expect and really enjoyed myself but reading the talkback thread loads of people didn't. I'd of thought by now they would know what to expect from Kev's do's

Regards

Ian

Yeah!! Definately Frank Wilson :D and your right i do know what to expect from Kevs do's from now on, so will not be attending any more of em!! :no: He's gone all handbaggy now, i wonder why?????? :lol: £££££££££££££££££ thats why!!! :yes:

JB xxxKTFxxx

Edited by JELLYBEAN
Social source share

here we go again

whats good for one person is bad for another, check out the dj list and if you have been around for a few years you should know who plays what.

Exactly : what is one man's lobster , is another man's crabstick .........

If I visit a venue and hear a tried and tested " comfort zone " tune , and whether that recording is irretating or not to my ears , we have to give leeway to their inclusion into DJ spots and at venues , as there may be someone - i.e. a scene virgin who hears the record for the first time , or a returnee , who has not heard the record for 25 - 30 years . In doing so , that record may just garner their interest , making them return ensuring bodies in to , and venues continuing - but what is more relevent and important - that the scene is kept alive ........

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

here we go again

the post was not asking who plays what. it is a query to a phrase that is bandied about on these forums very frequently - but with no actual records mentioned to indicate what those so called SOSO tunes are.

i would agree that what is a SOSO for one may not be the same for another however i was interested to see what tunes were considered 'SOSO'.

if it is a case of 'here we go again' for you then perhaps you may just want to find another thread that does interest you to post on - much like the comments regarding finding another venue if the one you are visiting doesn't 'do it' for you :yes:

Social source share

Yeah!! Definately Frank Wilson :D and your right i do know what to expect from Kevs do's from now on, so will not be attending any more of em!! :no: He's gone all handbaggy now, i wonder why?????? :lol: £££££££££££££££££ thats why!!! :yes:

JB xxxKTFxxx

Ya did seem to be outside smoking a lot Helen !

Social source share

Guest bazrico

Some more "SAME OLD,SAME OLD"

Connie Clark - My sugar baby

Jimmy Mack - My world is on fire

Doni Burdick - Bari Track

Salvadors - Stick by me baby

Tony Middleton - To the ends of the earth

Dean Courtney - (Love) you just can't walk away

NOW THOSE FEW RECORDS ARE OF THE TOP OF MY HEAD

Since i started going in 1972 i must heard 1,000's of records and all that DJ's seem to do is to play safe records. But such is life.

REGARDS

thenogger

Hi Nogger most DJs play safe

Ps

Barry and Josie Holland are well hope to see you soon

Social source share

Same here my friend...same here :)

Can't think of many tracks if any that have been played more than Ruby Andrews in the last 15 yrs, thats not dissing the track, been known to give it a few spins myself,

So it must come under the SOSO heading,

Funny how we all have our fave 'oldies' without thinking those that we are fed up with are probably somebody elses fave 'oldie', the times i've been at a venue where somebody is moaning about the same old same old being played then will get up to dance to one saying 'but this ones ok',

Try and get to venues where you have an idea of what you're gonna get, and if it delivers then everyones happy,

Social source share

Can't think of many tracks if any that have been played more than Ruby Andrews in the last 15 yrs, thats not dissing the track, been known to give it a few spins myself,

So it must come under the SOSO heading,

Funny how we all have our fave 'oldies' without thinking those that we are fed up with are probably somebody elses fave 'oldie', the times i've been at a venue where somebody is moaning about the same old same old being played then will get up to dance to one saying 'but this ones ok',

Try and get to venues where you have an idea of what you're gonna get, and if it delivers then everyones happy,

the answers have been pretty much what i expected. there is not one track mentioned on this thread that i would object to hearing played (FW may be an exception but i wouldn't complain about it).

It has got me thinking why some people use the term SOSO when talking about venues though? e.g. 'venues cropping up playing the same old same old'. they NEVER actually refer to particular records - just the venue!

food for thought me thinks :)

Edited by mikecook
Social source share

Dynells - Call on me

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Dynells - Call on me

Been a very long time since i've heard The Dynells out. I was considering giving it some spins at our 'underplayed' night next year. Back in the box then? :)

Social source share

Been a very long time since i've heard The Dynells out. I was considering giving it some spins at our 'underplayed' night next year. Back in the box then? :)

Fooking great record Matt...play it...go on...you know you want to :D

Social source share

I'll run it past the committee who will make a ruling within 4 weeks. Their decision is final and not open to appeal, you'll receive their decision in writing. If it's is deemed 'SOSO' then the punisment for playing said record will be the stocks.....which will be situated on the stage of our first night and all those present at the venue will be supplied with bootleg copies of other 'SOSO' titles which they will frisbee at you. :D:lol::D

Social source share

Been a very long time since i've heard The Dynells out. I was considering giving it some spins at our 'underplayed' night next year. Back in the box then? :D

Possibly played at many other places but it is included in playslists on here in last 6 months at:

Berkeley

York

Deeside

Soulgalore

The French Weekender, Tregunc

The Attic

Riverside

Soul Addiction

Bradford

Carlow Mwc

But don't let that stop you, for once i agree with Beeks - play it - awsome tune :)

Social source share

Why not? Well its because i had a break from the scene for 26 years, got married at 18 had kids etc.......came back on the scene just over 3 years ago and these tracks were new to me, as i'd not heard them before, so these tracks are not played out oldies to me, so thats why. :D

And as for Ruby Andrews that was the first track that totally blew me away. :)

JB xxxKTFxxx

Wait til you've heard it fifteen thousand times JB you'll change your mind then :D:lol:

Social source share

Over the last 30 Years or so, I've bought, sold, traded, rebought, sold, found virtually all of the records above and I'm sure there are many, many more people on this site in the same boat, if not moreso. To us, we've "grown up" with these tunes, and to us they are the "same old same old". This doesn't mean that they are bad records, and I'm kinda envious of those of you hearing these for the first time, but I can't be dishonest and pretend these are somehow fresh tunes! If you got £10 for Ruby Andrews in the "80's" you were doing well!!!

Des Parker

Social source share

No you won't :thumbsup:

concur...some records sound good no matter how many times they get played...it's funny how people moan about the big records on the scene...yes ok...you don't want to hear all the obvious records all night...but throwing the odd well recognised record into your set keeps the dancefloor happy while you can slip in your underplayed gems when everyones still on a high...and lets not forget...big overplayed records are not big overplayed records for nothing...they are in that position for one reason...

They are just damn good :lol:

Social source share

Guest bazrico

concur...some records sound good no matter how many times they get played...it's funny how people moan about the big records on the scene...yes ok...you don't want to hear all the obvious records all night...but throwing the odd well recognised record into your set keeps the dancefloor happy while you can slip in your underplayed gems when everyones still on a high...and lets not forget...big overplayed records are not big overplayed records for nothing...they are in that position for one reason...

They are just damn good :thumbsup:

totaly agree what flouts your shoes

Edited by bazrico
Social source share

the answers have been pretty much what i expected. there is not one track mentioned on this thread that i would object to hearing played (FW may be an exception but i wouldn't complain about it).

It has got me thinking why some people use the term SOSO when talking about venues though? e.g. 'venues cropping up playing the same old same old'. they NEVER actually refer to particular records - just the venue!

food for thought me thinks :thumbsup:

Good point Mike.

Promoters of nights know what they want played at their do's and thus should get DJ's on the lineup that fit the bill.

So is it not the promoter and DJ who contribute most to the growing popularity of such a phrase?

This is just my opinion of course, but if people attend a night knowing perfectly well the same tunes will be played each month, then they'd be a hypocrit to quote 'same old same old' when a tune came on.

I myself like a good mix. Venues and DJ's renowned for not playing safe appeal to me, but at the same time, i dont think there's anything wrong with throwing in a few "SOSO" tunes in your set. Keeps things fresh and the dancefloor full.

I will confess to using the phrase once recently, but it was only in dissappointment of seeing a DJ, who i know has an amazing collection of records, play a very boring safe set at a venue which didnt really fit that policy.

Arron

Social source share

even though im bored with ruby whatsa name :huh: !....i love oldies and even kings hall which a lot of people would describe as a SOSO venue...BUT....if youre gonna go to an oldies/classics nite THAT is the venue to go to IMHO....

and there are sooooo many oldies that should get more plays instead of dare i say it the same old same old :lol: ...and yes agree should be mixed into a set with lesser known tunes

maybe we should add to this old classics which are described as soso but actually you havnt heard for a while ??.....

one of my old faves is dont pity me/joannie sommers....not sure about up north (think it was played at last kings hall) but never hear it down here...and my mrs often request it but no one 'seems 'to have it :lol::thumbsup: ....

blue eyed soul mite not be as in today as the 70s but wouldnt mind hearing too many people either...or should i log off get my coat and spend the weekend in a dark room !!

Social source share

even though im bored with ruby whatsa name :lol: !....i love oldies and even kings hall which a lot of people would describe as a SOSO venue...BUT....if youre gonna go to an oldies/classics nite THAT is the venue to go to IMHO....

and there are sooooo many oldies that should get more plays instead of dare i say it the same old same old :lol: ...and yes agree should be mixed into a set with lesser known tunes

maybe we should add to this old classics which are described as soso but actually you havnt heard for a while ??.....

one of my old faves is dont pity me/joannie sommers....not sure about up north (think it was played at last kings hall) but never hear it down here...and my mrs often request it but no one 'seems 'to have it :huh::thumbsup: ....

blue eyed soul mite not be as in today as the 70s but wouldnt mind hearing too many people either...or should i log off get my coat and spend the weekend in a dark room !!

:lol:

Social source share

It Takes Heart - Greg Perry

I Wanna Give You Tomorrow - Benny Troy

Love Is A Serious Business - Alfie Davidson

It's pass the sickbag for me... but loads of people love 'em.

On the right night, after a few drinks, I'll still dance to Ruby Andrews though. On the other hand Carla Thomas 'I'll Never Stop Loving You' makes me sit straight down.

Social source share

Dynells - Call on me

when i had my copies of these i always played the flip sides,two crackers but far too underplayed imo

Social source share

Guest bazrico

even though im bored with ruby whatsa name :huh: !....i love oldies and even kings hall which a lot of people would describe as a SOSO venue...BUT....if youre gonna go to an oldies/classics nite THAT is the venue to go to IMHO....

one of my old faves is dont pity me/joannie sommers....not sure about up north (think it was played at last kings hall) but never hear it down here...and my mrs often request it but no one 'seems 'to have it :lol::thumbsup: ....

when was the last time you heard John e paul i wanna know as you say there are many oldies not played WHY

Edited by bazrico
Social source share

Guest KEN-SOUL

Dynells - Call on me

IF YOU ASK ME

LOVE IT FOREVER

SPOGEBOB SQUAREPANTS-FROSTY JACK ANYONE? :thumbsup:

Social source share

when was the last time you John e paul i wanna know as you say there are many oldies not played

funny enuff ive played that out twice recently at go go children here in bristol....lots of youngsters who wouldnt know it but love it and did...but yeah agree a big tune once played to death you dont hear at BIG oldies nights today....

also the first northern tune i bought hey little way out girl....never hear it at oldies nites

Social source share

Guest bazrico

funny enuff ive played that out twice recently at go go children here in bristol....lots of youngsters who wouldnt know it but love it and did...but yeah agree a big tune once played to death you dont hear at BIG oldies nights today....

also the first northern tune i bought hey little way out girl....never hear it at oldies nites

[/quote

I have been banging on for years that oldies or shall i call them rare soul oldies some are played week in week out yet the big classic's seem to be missed these days at soul nites even all niters

Edited by bazrico
Social source share

I think SOSO can vary from region to region. Some tracks are played repeatedly at some venues, but then this maybe seldom heard in other areas (as some of the posts on here show). The tracks that I interpret as the SOSO when reading lookbacks are stuff that I used to hear on Scooter Runs 20 yrs ago.

For example tracks like the following:

1. Moses Smith - Girl Across The Street

2. Billy Butler - Right Track

3. Frank Wilson - Do I Love You

4. Dobie Gray - Out On The Floor

However, when was the last time that you actually heard any of them played out? The problem stems I believe from the fact that these were probably some of the first tracks you heard, not forgetting that the first CD compilations that were freely available featured tracks like these on a number of them. Therefore I think it's just a case of familiarity breeds contempt.

More recent SOSO amongst aothers I would say:

1. Dee Dee Sharpe - Deep Dark Secret

2. Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell - Ain't No Mountain

3. Chris Clark - Somethings Wrong sleep3.gif

These are more normally to do with being unreleased except on CD, or a name DJ spins it. If only on CD, I expect you'd find a bootleg on sale within a week of the CD being released. So Buyers think they can play the latest unknown or previously unreleased track before anyone else. All that happens is that everyone bloody plays it!

I know that some just like to hear the SOSO, they enjoy it. Others like to be continously hearing new stuff, they enjoy it. As for myself, I like what I like whether that's SOSO or new stuff. thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!