Roy Hamilton Could Sing A Tune

Dennisoul

Along with Chuck Jackson,Roy Hamilton did so many northern tunes that have got us stompin the night away.So whats been or is your all-time favs from these 2 giants of the soul world.

They can be ballads mid-tempo or out and out thumpers your choice,just tracks that made did or do it for ya!

A few to start with : Roy H " Heartache hurry on by "

Chuck J "Hand It over "

Chuck J "Whats with this loneliness"

So what tracks are your favs? Must be loads

Andy D :rolleyes:

Social source share

• Replies 47
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

One of my all time fave oldies is Roy Hamilton's "Cracking Up Over You" :rolleyes: Many others though by him faves, Panic Is On, You Can Count On Me and of course You Shook Me Up :thumbsup:

Like Roy, Chuck Jackson does the dancers just as good as the ballads. Often listen to the cd Kent put together, hardly a bad track on it :)

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

One of my all time fave oldies is Roy Hamilton's "Cracking Up Over You"  :rolleyes:   Many others though by him faves, Panic Is On,  You Can Count On Me and of course You Shook Me Up  :thumbsup:

Like Roy, Chuck Jackson does the dancers just as good as the ballads.  Often listen to the cd Kent put together, hardly a bad track on it  :)

link

The album only version of " reach out for me " is awesome

:lol: for "heartache hurry on by"

I recomemnd to all to buy his Mgm / epic labums you can get them dirt cheap from ebay -

Social source share

Chalky your spot on mate Chuck did some fab dancers how about some of these:

" Any other way"

"Good things come to those who wait "

"I`ve got the need"

Did anybody see Chuck at the Great Yarmouth weekender many moons ago,early 90`s.He played all the biggies,awesome!!! :thumbsup::lol::):rolleyes:

Social source share

Chalky your spot on mate Chuck did some fab dancers how about some of these:

" Any other way"

"Good things come to those who wait "

"I`ve got the need"

Did anybody see Chuck at the Great Yarmouth weekender many moons ago,early 90`s.He played all the biggies,awesome!!! :)   :lol:   :lol:   :rolleyes:

link

Sure did see him at Yarmouth, spent the day with him (dunno how I managed that though :lol: ) watching him rehearse and so on, fabulous...the best I've seen I think :thumbsup:

Social source share

Did anybody see Chuck at the Great Yarmouth weekender many moons ago,early 90`s.He played all the biggies,awesome!!!

Have got to agree there - he was spectacular - I managed to be the one to grab his cummerband when he threw it into the crowd - god knows how I managed that at my height; I lent it to a friend for some posh ball, and was quite upset when she brought it back washed!!! Am sure we have some photos from that night and will nag Nick to scan some in for others to see.

All The Best,

Dawn Brown

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Along with Chuck Jackson,Roy Hamilton did so many northern tunes that have got us stompin the night away.So whats been or is your all-time favs from these 2 giants of the soul world.

They can be ballads mid-tempo or out and out thumpers your choice,just tracks that made did or do it for ya!

A few to start  with : Roy H " Heartache hurry on by "

Chuck J "Hand It over "

Chuck J "Whats with this loneliness"

So what tracks are your favs? Must be loads

Andy D  :)

link

Not a big fan of Roy Hamilton :rolleyes::thumbsup: but I just love Chuck Jackson and one that i have always adored is "I Keep Forgetting" so untypical of the sound i normally go for but i have a real soft spot for this :lol:

Social source share

Guest Jamie

Chuck Jackson - Can any of you 'fonts of knowledge' tell me if 'I've Got The Need' was released on US 'All Platinum'?? :thumbsup:

I'm positive I've seen one on the Blue AP label, but a mate said it only got issued on UK AP, the nasty cheap looking things that they are.

Which brings me to my point, I would like a US copy (if there is one), anyone care to point me in the right direction??

Ta very much.

Jamie :rolleyes:

Chuck Jackson - I've Got The Need

Roy Hamilton - The Panic Is On

Edited by Jamie
Social source share

For Roy it has to be "Cracking Up"closely followed by "You shook me up"

Love loads of records by Chuck 'Mr Emotion' Jackson. The first Chuck Jackson I ever heard was not one of his Wand records but the Motown "Girls, girls, girls'" that I listened to on one of those earlyish Motown Greatest hits albums in the late 1960s.

https://the.soulclub.org/stream/Chuck_Jacks...Girls_Girls.ram

Edited by Billy Freemantle
Social source share

Chuck Jackson - Can any of you 'fonts of knowledge' tell me if 'I've Got The Need' was released on US 'All Platinum'?? :thumbsup:

I'm positive I've seen one on the Blue AP label, but a mate said it only got issued on UK AP, the nasty cheap looking things that they are.

Which brings me to my point, I would like a US copy (if there is one), anyone care to point me in the right direction??

Ta very much.

Chuck Jackson - I've Got The Need

Roy Hamilton - The Panic Is On

link

Yeah it wasn't a 45 in the US mate

Pete

Social source share

Chuck Jackson - Can any of you 'fonts of knowledge' tell me if 'I've Got The Need' was released on US 'All Platinum'?? :)

Ta very much.

Jamie it did come out on US All platinum LP titled Chuck Jackson "Needing You Wanting You ". It`s a really nice LP with tracks"love lights"," I`ve got the need" and " beautifull woman " and some really nice slower stuff as well.

I`m sure John Manship has a copy for £15,well worth a shout.

Hope this helps mate. :thumbsup:

Andy

Social source share

one that's not been mentioned so far is Roy Hamilton's 'She's got a heart'. Alway's thought that one is totally under-rated. 'Panic' is probably my favourite roy

:thumbsup:

Of Chuck, another one I haven't heard out in yonks is his 'Have you heard about the fool'. Used to be big at the Wilton for Saus in the early days. However, my fave is probably 'Hand it over' followed closely by 'Let somebody love me'.

Big Chuck :rolleyes:

Social source share

Roy Hamilton can't hold a candle to Chuck Jackson

link

Oh yes he can. Chuck Jackson is great, no doubt about that. Was dancing to the alternate 'hand it over' last night, fantastic. Roy the boy on the other hand, as good if not ahead by a nose imo. Earthquake is great, managed to pick up an Epic issue of this from Manship. Also you shook me up demo from Andy D - brilliant record. As is Reach out for me, Crackin' up, Panic is on, Don't come crying to me and I also like the latin-esq 'She makes me wanna dance.

Social source share

Oh yes he can. Chuck Jackson is great, no doubt about that.  Was dancing to the alternate 'hand it over' last night, fantastic.  Roy the boy on the other hand, as good if not ahead by a nose imo. Earthquake is great, managed to pick up an Epic issue of this from Manship.  Also you shook me up demo from Andy D - brilliant record. 

link

Two of the worst records ever played on the scene.

Social source share

link

Can understand Earthquake not being everyone's cuppa tea. It is early, but I like that sort of stuff. Paid £90 for a demo, 'clicks' were so bad, had to get a refund and paid £125 for the yellow Epic issue. I'll save you posting "£125 for that turd" or sim. :rolleyes: Never heard it played out. However You shook me up is a power house, it has balls equivalent to that of Gene Toones, or Soul Joe Clements (another record you hate if memory serves) imo.

Edited by Ian Sims
Social source share

Roy Hamilton......"A Thousand Streets Under A Black Sky". Chilling ballad that evokes every bad memory from a million breakdowns, unremitting it never fails to let the listener rest, you end up like an ether addict...you know its bad for your mind and soul....but you gotta' have more and more.

Brett :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

link

Pete do you ever get the feeling that Roy Hamilton would have been better off performing in musicals :thumbsup::thumbsup: I'm thinking Howard Keele here :D:P:P ooops is that sacrilige :shades:thumbsup.giflaugh.gif

Social source share

and I also like the latin-esq 'She makes me wanna dance.

link

This is without a doubt a great tune by Roy Hamilton, and gets my vote. :thumbsup:

As for Chuck Jackson, the Motown release 'What am I gonna do without you baby' is a beauty, along with 'The breaking point'.

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Jamie

Pete do you ever get the feeling that Roy Hamilton would have been better off performing in musicals  :thumbsup: I'm thinking Howard Keele here  :P   ooops is that sacrilige  :D   :thumbsup:   laugh.gif

link

I'm a sucker for stuff like that.

I absolutely love Gil Bernal 'Can You Love A Poor Boy', but hardly anyone I know likes it. Infact, many a nose has been turned up at the mention :D

As if by some co-incidence, on the RCA label, like some of our Roys' stuff :shades:

Just love that atmospheric big production sound :P

Horses for courses and all that crap. :D

Jamie thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

I'm a sucker for stuff like that.

I absolutely love Gil Bernal 'Can You Love A Poor Boy', but hardly anyone I know likes it. Infact, many a nose has been turned up at the mention  :thumbsup:

As if by some co-incidence, on the RCA label, like some of our Roys' stuff  :thumbsup:

Just love that atmospheric big production sound :shades:

Horses for courses and all that crap.  yes.gif

Jamie  thumbsup.gif

link

well i like gil bernal. smokey version aint bad too. original?

shane

Social source share

Guest Jamie

well i like gil bernal. smokey version aint bad too. original?

shane

link

I don't know the Smokey version, you ain't got a soundfile have you kidda?

And I dunnae know which came first :thumbsup:

Sorry mate :thumbsup:

Jamie

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

I don't know the Smokey version, you ain't got a soundfile have you kidda?

And I dunnae know which came first :thumbsup:

Sorry mate  :thumbsup:

Jamie

link

i haven't mate. just checked soulclub, nothing on there. not sure what cd i have it one but i have heard it recently at home

shane

Social source share

Pete do you ever get the feeling that Roy Hamilton would have been better off performing in musicals  whistling.gif   whistling.gif I'm thinking Howard Keele here  :D   :lol:   :lol:   ooops is that sacrilige  :D   :lol:   :D

link

1) Are you agreeing with me, what's up? This isn't how we usually play :D

2) yes I do agree

3) I meant to say that apart from Chuck Jackson and Levi Stubbs, Al Green is the best of the lot

Social source share

Roy Hamilton is the knig of Operatic soul ballads and i like them whistling.gif

Roy Hamilton "and i love her" the beatles cover.. :lol::lol::D

He aint everyones cup of tea but for a silly old romantic like me he is one of the very best.....Roy Hamilton's only got two tunes says Pete S...Bo""ocks..mr cloth ears whistling.gif

Social source share

Did anybody see Chuck at the Great Yarmouth weekender many moons ago

Have got to agree there - he was spectacular - I managed to be the one to grab his cummerband when he threw it into the crowd

link

I got his pants. He'd obviously been nervous beforehand.

Agree with most of the sentiments here, Roy Hamilton = awesome but Chuck Jackson = awesome + 1.

Best male vocalist ever IMO = a tie between Ray Pollard and Chuck (though the Impressions are up there too as vocalists.

Social source share

Roy Hamilton is the knig of Operatic soul ballads and i like them :lol:

Roy Hamilton  "and i love her" the beatles cover.. :D   :lol:   :D

He aint everyones cup of tea but for a silly old romantic like me he is one of the very best.....Roy Hamilton's only got two tunes says Pete S...Bo""ocks..mr cloth ears whistling.gif

link

whistling.gif I never said he only had 2 tunes...where did I say that?

Sort your optician out!

I said he was responsible for 2 of the worst tunes ever, thats wot.

p.s. whats a Knig? :lol:

Edited by Pete-S
Social source share

Roy Hamilton - Panic Is On

Chuck Jackson - Tell Him I'm Not Home/Millionaire

What about Ray Pollard???????? imo one of the greatest balladeers EVER!!!!!!!!!

Fav' has to be "the Drifter".......................!

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

1) Are you agreeing with me, what's up?  This isn't how we usually play  :lol:

2) yes I do agree

3) I meant to say that apart from Chuck Jackson and Levi Stubbs, Al Green is the best of the lot

link

I don't think i can take much more of this agreeing on a Monday i may have to go for a lie down whistling.gifwhistling.gif Good call BTW shouldn't be too surprising i guess when so many JA artists sang a la Al Green :lol:

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Roy Hamilton is the knig of Operatic soul ballads and i like them :lol:

Roy Hamilton  "and i love her" the beatles cover.. :D   :D   :D

He aint everyones cup of tea but for a silly old romantic like me he is one of the very best.....Roy Hamilton's only got two tunes says Pete S...Bo""ocks..mr cloth ears :lol:

link

Pete may not have said it but i will whistling.gif the other really wierd thing is that i agree with the rest of his choices Chuck and Levi although i would probably add Marvin Jnr in there as well but hey whistling.gif

In fact if i'm really honest i never really liked Cackin Up very much either so for me he really can't do any right :D:lol: at all :D

Social source share

Nope no slip just a reflection of what i think of it  :lol:   :lol:

link

Ah furry muff, thought you could have been takin the pith :D You'll be really interested to know that for the intro on that track they purposely dropped a full tray of glasses on the floor whistling.gif

I'll get me coat whistling.gif

Edited by Ian Sims
Social source share

:lol: I never said he only had 2 tunes...where did I say that?

Sort your optician out!

I said he was responsible for 2 of the worst tunes ever, thats wot.

p.s. whats a Knig? :D

link

Too early in the day last time Pete..Sorry about calling you cloth ears blush.gif The other bit aint a mistake,its Yorkshire spelling :lol: ..

Roy Hamilton is fine but Jerry Butler is the man :lol:

Up the Wolves... true sleeping giants thumbsup.gif ...

Social source share

Too early in the day last time Pete..Sorry about calling you cloth ears blush.gif The other bit aint a mistake,its Yorkshire spelling :lol: ..

Roy Hamilton is fine but Jerry Butler is the man :lol:

Up the Wolves... true sleeping giants thumbsup.gif ...

link

I like Jerry Butler as well...there's a tremendous beat ballad by him on Mercury, can't remember what it's called dammit, might be You Walked Into My Life - fantastic sound

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!