Northern Soul's 200 Greatest Floorfillers

Dave Moore

Northern Soul's Greatest Floorfillers

This revamped edition of Ian Levine's SWONS package dropped on the doormat today and after waiting almost 3 months for an opportunity to view the finished project in it's entirety, I quickly checked the packaging whilst sliding Disc One of Five into the DVD player and awaited the boiling kettle so I could settle down and enjoy what has been described (by Ian himself it has to be said), as, "A set to last a lifetime, the MUST HAVE gift of the Century!". Well I can think of a few things that the previous 100 years have produced that would probably take precedence over a set of DVDs but that's Ian's style and we should expect no less at this stage of the game.

On with the performances...

The set consists of five DVDs and although there is little new content from what I could see in relation to the artists on the previous original set there is one omission that makes the whole thing worth reissuing again. The glitchy effects that, for many at least, spoiled the original are not there this time round. Therefore the artists are now front and centre and not part of the background as happened to some in the original. The improvement in the presentation of the performances is such that in some cases it looks like a new video recording and all involved should receive a pat on the back for recognizing that the weakness of the first issue was definitely the effects and this has now been put right.

There's plenty to criticize in respect of the music not being original and having been re-recorded, (it was, financially at least, completely unachievable to re-record the tracks with full orchestration), but to do that would seem churlish and not understand the whole point of the exercise which was to record for posterity the performances of some of the greatest songs sung by some of the greatest soul singers from the Golden age of Northern Soul.

So..does the set do that? In my opinion it's a resounding yes. I thought the original did too but with the distraction of the effects now gone and the improved soundtracks that have been reconstructed using better technology available since the original, for people who love seeing the artists they revere performing and aren't blinded by the UK soul scene's vinyl record snobbery it's certainly worth upgrading to this set.

Many of the artists on the set are now no longer with us and even with many artists having made the visit to UK shores without this set we would have no visual record of legends the likes of Bob Relf, Lou Johnson, The Vocanos, Lee Andrews, Jimmy Conwell, Johnny Moore and a host of others. One of the most poignant artists on the set is Bobby Paris who performs all three of his Allnighter classics.

Highlights for me were:

Watching Earl Van Dyke smiling up from the Hammond B3. The one artist I really regret having never met.

Watching Edwin Starr singing "I Have Faith In You". The backing track simply fades into obscurity as his voice takes centre stage as it always did.

Herbie Hunter performing "I Was Born To Love You". Man...his tache is bigger than mine!!

Seeing heroes like Alexander Patton, Bobby Hutton, Dean Courtney etc dressed to the nines in 'best bib and tucker' giving the audience the 'old school', full monty of a performance just like back in the day.

Watching James Fountain and Billy Harner. Two records from slightly different eras that both shaped my love of the music all this years ago.

Downside? Well it's Ian so there's gonna be a twist as usual but I would have preferred less of his recent productions and more of the vintage stuff. It was after all described as the 200 GREATEST floor-fillers but I can't remember Tahira Jumah, Noel McKoy, or many of the Vanecia Wilson tracks filling any floors and with the omission of the likes of Mel Britt from the set it wouldn't seem a fair swap, no matter how tight the space available.

In summary...any self respecting lover of soul artists would appreciate the set I feel. The performances are presented so much better than previously that an upgrade would be worth it in my eyes. As the years pass there's no doubt that the whole SWONS project will gain in status and it's true value as a history of the artists and the music they made will be recognized. A MUST HAVE gift of the century? Well to be fair, maybe not but a set to last a lifetime? I reckon. I'll be pulling it off the shelf every now and then, enjoying the company of my heroes/heroines for sure and for a price tag of 30UKP that's a fair price to pay for that pleasure in my eyes. Many will continue to complain about the drum and bass tracks employed and that they'd rather remember their heroes as a sound coming through a speaker in some dark dancehall of 30 years ago. Well, that is of course their prerogative but for someone like me who loves seeing the people perform these classics no matter what the surroundings, I'll take the only thing that's financially viable and if that's the artists' singing in their kitchens as one or two do than I'm more than happy with that.

Dave M

post-1369-1227440812_thumb.jpg post-1369-1227440832_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dave Moore
Social source share

• Replies 25
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

thumbsup.gif

nice one Dave.

In fairness, the exclusion of Mel Britt was not deliberate.

Rumour has it that Ian is still seeking who omitted MB from the finished product , deliberate or not deliberate .....

Malc Burton

Social source share

He rang me when I pointed it out and he said he kept chopping and changing the running order and in the confusion he missed of Mel and a couple of others. Honest!

I can appreciate that being the case ; it must have been a logistical nightmare in respect of deliberation as to what to put in and leave out : a bit like the hokey cokey .......

" NSTHGFF " has its' flaws , as did TSWONS , but overall , it is an excellent package , and Ian again deserves credit for putting it together .......

Malc Burton

Social source share

This revamped edition of Ian Levine's SWONS package dropped on the doormat today and after waiting almost 3 months for an opportunity to view the finished project in it's entirety, I quickly checked the packaging whilst sliding Disc One of Five into the DVD player and awaited the boiling kettle so I could settle down and enjoy what has been described (by Ian himself it has to be said), as, "A set to last a lifetime, the MUST HAVE gift of the Century!". Well I can think of a few things that the previous 100 years have produced that would probably take precedence over a set of DVDs but that's Ian's style and we should expect no less at this stage of the game.

The set consists of five DVDs and although there is little new content from what I could see in relation to the artists on the previous original set there is one omission that makes the whole thing worth reissuing again. The glitchy effects that, for many at least, spoiled the original are not there this time round. Therefore the artists are now front and centre and not part of the background as happened to some in the original. The improvement in the presentation of the performances is such that in some cases it looks like a new video recording and all involved should receive a pat on the back for recognizing that the weakness of the first issue was definitely the effects and this has now been put right.

There's plenty to criticize in respect of the music not being original and having been re-recorded, (it was, financially at least, completely unachievable to re-record the tracks with full orchestration), but to do that would seem churlish and not understand the whole point of the exercise which was to record for posterity the performances of some of the greatest songs sung by some of the greatest soul singers from the Golden age of Northern Soul.

So..does the set do that? In my opinion it's a resounding yes. I thought the original did too but with the distraction of the effects now gone and the improved soundtracks that have been reconstructed using better technology available since the original, for people who love seeing the artists they revere performing and aren't blinded by the UK soul scene's vinyl record snobbery it's certainly worth upgrading to this set.

Many of the artists on the set are now no longer with us and even with many artists having made the visit to UK shores without this set we would have no visual record of legends the likes of Bob Relf, Lou Johnson, The Vocanos, Lee Andrews, Jimmy Conwell, Johnny Moore and a host of others. One of the most poignant artists on the set is Bobby Paris who performs all three of his Allnighter classics.

Highlights for me were:

Watching Earl Van Dyke smiling up from the Hammond B3. The one artist I really regret having never met.

Watching Edwin Starr singing "I Have Faith In You". The backing track simply fades into obscurity as his voice takes centre stage as it always did.

Herbie Hunter performing "I Was Born To Love You". Man...his tache is bigger than mine!!

Seeing heroes like Alexander Patton, Bobby Hutton, Dean Courtney etc dressed to the nines in 'best bib and tucker' giving the audience the 'old school', full monty of a performance just like back in the day.

Watching James Fountain and Billy Harner. Two records from slightly different eras that both shaped my love of the music all this years ago.

Downside? Well it's Ian so there's gonna be a twist as usual but I would have preferred less of his recent productions and more of the vintage stuff. It was after all described as the 200 GREATEST floor-fillers but I can't remember Tahira Jumah, Noel McKoy, or many of the Vanecia Wilson tracks filling any floors and with the omission of the likes of Mel Britt from the set it wouldn't seem a fair swap, no matter how tight the space available.

In summary...any self respecting lover of soul artists would appreciate the set I feel. The performances are presented so much better than previously that an upgrade would be worth it in my eyes. As the years pass there's no doubt that the whole SWONS project will gain in status and it's true value as a history of the artists and the music they made will be recognized. A MUST HAVE gift of the century? Well to be fair, maybe not but a set to last a lifetime? I reckon. I'll be pulling it off the shelf every now and then, enjoying the company of my heroes/heroines for sure and for a price tag of 30UKP that's a fair price to pay for that pleasure in my eyes. Many will continue to complain about the drum and bass tracks employed and that they'd rather remember their heroes as a sound coming through a speaker in some dark dancehall of 30 years ago. Well, that is of course their prerogative but for someone like me who loves seeing the people perform these classics no matter what the surroundings, I'll take the only thing that's financially viable and if that's the artists' singing in their kitchens as one or two do than I'm more than happy with that.

Dave M

Very fair review Dave! I think most people would concurr that just to get these artists filmed for posterity can't be a bad thing. Plus for most of them it would be the first time that anyone had ever filmed them performing the songs and many of them went to the grave at least knowing that their efforts were appreciated in the UK!

I would have thought this project would warm the cockles of almost anyone who has been on the scene for most of their lives, not least the artists themselves.

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

Highlights for me were:

Dave M

I replied to your review over on ANS, so I think I should repost it on here as well.

--------------------------

Believe it or not there are more effects, not less, on this set, but

they are so subtle that you don't realise they're there, and their

function is to mask the less than glamorous settings that some of them

were filmed in.

I didn't even realise Mel Britt was left off, because we went to the

expense of redoing his video from scratch.

Tahira sings "What" because we never found Judy Street, and we needed

the song.

Noel McKoy's "Determined Man" was a monster floorfiller and was on a

seven inch - played by all the same open minded people that played

Sidney Barnes.

And Venicia Wilson was one of the biggest tracks I ever made.

Social source share

Guest Hunnymon

You can read the B&S review here https://www.bluesandsoul.com/review/608/nor..._floor_fillers/

I've not bought a copy of it myself (as of yet) because I don't really watch many music DVDs.

Maybe someone will buy it for me as a surprise Christmas pressie!

My favourite DVD is "The old grey whistle test vol1" because it features Curtis Mayfield performing "We Gotta Have Peace" which I've probally only watched half a dozen times in as many years.

Social source share

Highlights for me were:

Dave M

At the risk of ruining my friend's christmas surprise - Can anyone remind me where to buy this?. I can't find the previous thread.

Do any of you Manchester people know if Beatin Rythmn will be stocking it? (I'm getting no answer from their phone no.)

Thanks

Jayne.x

Social source share

At the risk of ruining my friend's christmas surprise - Can anyone remind me where to buy this?. I can't find the previous thread.

Do any of you Manchester people know if Beatin Rythmn will be stocking it? (I'm getting no answer from their phone no.)

Thanks

Jayne.x

Pretty Sure they have

Tony

Social source share

Thanks

Jayne.x

Amazon have them in stock here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Northern-Souls-Gre...s/dp/B001ECE5ZO

Social source share

Highlights for me were:

Dave M

As usual, a great review Dave.

Brian B

Social source share

As usual, a great review Dave.

Brian B

Yes, and I welcome any review as long as it's fair and unbiased, and doesn't start out from a premise that anything recorded after 1975 isn't Northern Soul and doesn't have the right to be.

Social source share

Would like to say to Dave Moore,fair play for a full,frank and unbiased review.

Being one of the first to have the dvd's drop thru the letter box but not one to be the first to say thanks to Ian,it's great to put faces to the artists' names on many in my collection and also a tribute to them,most of whom did not see just reward for their musical effort and gifted talent.

regards,John Elias biggrin.gif

ps still have the old videos her but no player! :unsure:

Social source share

Being one of the first to have the dvd's drop thru the letter box but not one to be the first to say thanks to Ian,it's great to put faces to the artists' names on many in my collection and also a tribute to them,most of whom did not see just reward for their musical effort and gifted talent.

regards,John Elias

I would like to personally thank you for buying a copy.

Social source share

Guest rushden

Ian , It is on a lot of soulies in Australia Xmas present list. We out here rarely get to see our ''heroes '' perform. I would personally like to thank you for trying to capture these stunning human beings on film for posterity. There music will test the age of time and we now can put a ''face'' to an artist. I dont get involved in Bollitics the music was never made for us to fight over . Well done to you for achieving this ''epic'' piece of work & in oz we say ''TOP BANANA '' that man best John

Social source share

Ian , It is on a lot of soulies in Australia Xmas present list. We out here rarely get to see our ''heroes '' perform. I would personally like to thank you for trying to capture these stunning human beings on film for posterity. There music will test the age of time and we now can put a ''face'' to an artist. I dont get involved in Bollitics the music was never made for us to fight over . Well done to you for achieving this ''epic'' piece of work & in oz we say ''TOP BANANA '' that man best John

Thankyou John.

I wish everyone here thought the same. You wouldn't believe the abuse I get.

Social source share

Guest KEN-SOUL

i'm getting sick of this newies craze... even my cans of lager are crying out: play "prepared to love you"!

of course, i could be going crazy...

so,

"i really love you""

should sffice? :thumbsup:

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Well despite the problems with Pinnacle going bust, Wienerworld seem to have made sure Amazon had stock for Christmas.

And it's still only £27.98, which is over seven pounds off the retail price.

And if anyone has been dithering over getting it as a Christmas present, now is the time to do it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Northern-Souls-Gre...7569&sr=8-1

Track Listing:

DISC ONE

1 - DOBIE GRAY - OUT ON THE FLOOR

2 - ALFIE DAVSION - LOVE IS A SERIOUS BUSINESS

3 - JIMMY CONWELL - TOO MUCH

4 - P.P. ARNOLD - EVERYTHING\'S GONNA BE ALRIGHT

5 - ERMA FRANKLIN - I GET THE SWEETEST FEELING

6 - THE ARTISTICS - I\'M GONNA MISS YOU

7 - THE FOUR VANDALS - WRONG SIDE OF TOWN

8 - WILLIE HUTCH - LOVE RUNS OUT

9 - EDDIE PARKER - LOVE YOU BABY

10 - BOBBY HEBB - YOU WANT TO CHANGE ME

11 - THE DYNAMICS - YES I LOVE YOU BABY

12 - TOMMY RIDGLEY - MY LOVE GROWS STRONGER

13 - RONNIE McNEIR - LUCKY NUMBER

14 - THE VONETTES - TOUCH MY HEART

15 - CINDY SCOTT - I LOVE YOU BABY

16 - KENNY BERNARD - PITY MY FEET

17 - DEAN PARRISH - DETERMINATION

18 - JOHNNY MOORE - WALK LIKE A MAN

19 - THE VEL-VETS - I GOTTA FIND ME SOMEBODY

20 - THE DELLS - RUN FOR COVER

21 - EDDIE HOLMAN - WHATEVER HAPPENED TO OUR MELODY

22 - FRANCES NERO - KEEP ON LOVING ME

23 - EVIE SANDS - PICTURE ME GONE

24 - MAXINE BROWN - ONE IN A MILLION

25 - JOE STUBBS - JUST A LITTLE MISUNDERSTANDING

26 - THE APOLLAS - MISTER CREATOR

27 - GENE CHANDLER - I CAN TAKE CARE OF MYSELF

28 - THE LOVETONES - FIRE ALARM

29 - MELVIN DAVIS - FIND A QUIET PLACE

30 - JIMMY THOMAS - WHERE THERE\'S A WILL THERE\'S A WAY

31 - SAM WARD - SISTER LEE

32 - EVELYN THOMAS - DOOMSDAY

33 - YVONNE VERNEE - JUST LIKE YOU DID ME

34 - THE CARSTAIRS - STICK BY ME BABY

35 - SAUNDRA EDWARDS - THERE\'S NOTHING ELSE TO SAY

36 - TONY MIDDLETON - PARIS BLUES

37 - RONNIE WALKER - YOU GOT TO TRY HARDER

38 - SANDRA PHILLIPS - WORLD WITHOUT SUNSHINE

39 - MARVIN SMITH - HAVE MORE TIME

40 - IRMA THOMAS - WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO DO

DISC TWO

1 - VENICIA WILSON - THIS TIME I\'M LOVING YOU

2 - DORIS TROY - I\'LL DO ANYTHING

3 - LEON HAYWOOD - BABY RECONSIDER

4 - SIDNEY BARNES - I HURT ON THE OTHER SIDE

5 - THE MONTCLAIRS - HUNG UP ON YOUR LOVE

6 - JO ARMSTEAD - I GOT THE VIBES

7 - THE VOLCANOS - STORM WARNING

8 - ANGELO STARR - STAND ON MY OWN TWO FEET

9 - JIMMY JAMES - A MAN LIKE ME

10 - EDWIN STARR - I HAVE FAITH IN YOU

11 - THE FOUR VANDALS - ONE PICTURE\'S WORTH A THOUSAND WORDS

12 - PAT LEWIS - IT\'LL NEVER BE OVER FOR ME

13 - THE JUST BROTHERS - SLICED TOMATOES

14 - L.J. JOHNSON - YOUR MAGIC PUT A SPELL ON ME

15 - DEON JACKSON - THAT\'S WHAT YOU DO TO ME

16 - J.J. BARNES - OUR LOVE IS IN THE POCKET

17 - THE THREE DEGREES - CONTACT

18 - SAM DEES - LONELY FOR YOU BABY

19 - EARL VAN DYKE - SIX BY SIX

20 - THE UNITED FOUR - SHE\'S PUTTING YOU ON

21 - THE SHIRELLES - LAST MINUTE MIRACLE

22 - THE VELOURS - I\'M GONNA CHANGE

23 - BETTYE LAVETTE - LET ME DOWN EASY

24 - DEAN COURTNEY - I\'LL ALWAYS NEED YOU

25 - RICHARD TEMPLE - THAT BEATIN\' RHYTHM

26 - LEE ANDREWS & THE HEARTS - NEVERTHELESS

27 - GWEN OWENS - YOU BETTER WATCH OUT

28 - BOBBY SHEEN - DOCTOR LOVE

29 - SISTERS LOVE - I\'M LEARNING TO TRUST MY MAN

30 - TAMMI LAVETTE - KISS MY LOVE GOODBYE

31 - BOBBY PARIS - NIGHT OWL

32 - BOBBY HUTTON - LEND A HAND

33 - BEVERLY ANN - YOU GOT YOUR MIND ON OTHER THINGS

34 - THE DRAMATICS - INKY DINKY WANG DANG DOO

35 - EVELYN THOMAS - MY HEAD\'S IN THE STARS

36 - FRANK WILSON - JANICE DON\'T BE SO BLIND TO LOVE

37 - THE SAPPHIRES - GOTTA HAVE YOUR LOVE

38 - THE SEQUINS - A CASE OF LOVE

39 - HERBERT HUNTER - I WAS SENT TO LOVE YOU

40 - LORRAINE CHANDLER - I CAN\'T HOLD ON

DISC THREE

1 - FRANK WILSON - DO I LOVE YOU (Indeed I Do)

2 - ROBERT KNIGHT - LOVE ON A MOUNTAIN TOP

3 - TAHIRA JUMAH - REACHING FOR THE BEST

4 - BOBBY HEBB - LOVE LOVE LOVE

5 - BUNNY SIGLER - GIRL DON\'T MAKE ME WAIT

6 - EVELYN THOMAS - WEAK SPOT

7 - BARBARA LYNN - YOU\'RE LOSING ME

8 - BARBARA PENNINGTON - TWENTY FOUR HOURS A DAY

9 - WILLIAM BELL - HAPPY

10 - RICHARD POPCORN WYLIE - ROSEMARY WHAT HAPPENED

11 - CHUCK JACKSON - ALL OVER THE WORLD

12 - BOBBY HUTTON - COME SEE WHAT\'S LEFT OF ME

13 - DEAN PARRISH - I\'M ON MY WAY

14 - WINSTON WARD - LONG AFTER TONIGHT IS ALL OVER

15 - PAT LEWIS - NO ONE TO LOVE

16 - TOBI LARK - HAPPINESS IS HERE

17 - ROSE BATTISTE - HIT AND RUN

18 - THE FOUR VANDALS - WITHOUT THE MUSIC

19 - BOB BRADY - MORE MORE MORE OF YOUR LOVE

20 - NOEL McKOY - DETERMINED MAN

21 - SHEILA FERGUSON - HEARTBROKEN MEMORIES

22 - FRANK WILSON - MY SUGAR BABY

23 - MARY LOVE - YOU TURNED MY BITTER INTO SWEET

24 - BILLY HARNER - WHAT ABOUT THE MUSIC

25 - THE VALADIERS - NO COMPETITION

26 - CARL CARLTON - COMPETITION AIN\'T NOTHING

27 - C.P. SPENCER - THIS MAN NEEDS YOU

28 - THE ROYAL JOKERS - LOVE GAME FROM A TO Z

29 - TOMMY HUNT - CRACKING UP OVER YOU

30 - JIMMY JAMES & THE VAGABONDS - LOOKS LIKE LOVE IS HERE TO STAY

31 - THE OLYMPICS - BABY DO THE PHILLY DOG

32 - J.J. BARNES - TALK OF THE GRAPEVINE

33 - THE FLIRTATIONS - STRONGER THAN HER LOVE

34 - JAMES FOUNTAIN - SEVEN DAY LOVER

35 - BARBARA MILLS - QUEEN OF FOOLS

36 - PAT LEWIS - FUNNY HOW WE CHANGED PLACES

37 - FREDDY BUTLER - THAT\'S WHAN I NEED YOU

38 - JIMMY BURNS - I REALLY LOVE YOU

39 - THERESA LINDSAY - I\'LL BET YOU

40 - KEN WILLIAMS - COME BACK

DISC FOUR

1 - THE CARSTAIRS - IT REALLY HURTS ME GIRL

2 - EDDIE PARKER - I\'M GONE

3 - BOB RELF - BLOWING MY MIND TO PIECES

4 - THE ELGINS - DON\'T WAIT AROUND

5 - THE PLATTERS - WITH THIS RING

6 - NAT AUGUSTIN - LOVE IS MY SANCTUARY

7 - THE GEMS - I\'LL BE THERE

8 - THE BLOSSOMS - THAT\'S WHEN THE TEARS START

9 - EDWIN STARR - BACK STREET

10 - PAT LEWIS - CAN\'T SHAKE IT LOOSE

11 - THE TYMES - THE LOVE THAT YOU\'RE LOOKING FOR

12 - RAY POLLARD - THE DRIFTER

13 - P.P. ARNOLD - I GO TO PIECES EVERYTIME

14 - JERRY WILLIAMS - IF YOU ASK ME

15 - JO ARMSTEAD - I FEEL AN URGE COMING ON

16 - BOB BRADY - EVERYBODY\'S GOING TO A LOVE IN

17 - ROBERT BANKS - A MIGHTY GOOD WAY

18 - MAXINE BROWN - LET ME GIVE YOU MY LOVING

19 - KIM WESTON - YOU HIT ME RIGHT WHERE IT HURT ME

20 - J.J. BARNES - PLEASE LET ME IN

21 - NOEL McKOY - MY CLAIM TO FAME

22 - WILLIE KENDRICK - CHANGE YOUR WAYS

23 - JACKIE ROSS - SELFISH ONE

24 - BOBBY PARIS - I WALKED AWAY

25 - JACKIE DAY - BEFORE IT\'S TOO LATE

26 - JIMMY THOMAS - THE BEAUTIFUL NIGHT

27 - LEE ANDREWS & THE HEARTS - I\'VE HAD IT

28 - VANESSA HAYNES - LEAVING THE SCENE OF THE CRIME

29 - JAY AND THE TECHNIQUES - ARE YOU READY FOR THIS

30 - ANGELO STARR - BABY I\'M STILL THE SAME MAN

31 - THE VALADIERS - WHAT\'S WRONG WITH ME BABY

32 - HOLLY HARRISON - BRIGHT LIGHTS OF THE CITY

33 - THE CARSTAIRS - HE WHO PICKS A ROSE

34 - BEVERLY ANN - HE\'S COMING HOME

35 - EVELYN THOMAS - HAVE A LITTLE FAITH IN ME

36 - LORRAINE CHANDLER - I CAN\'T CHANGE

37 - JIMMY JAMES & THE VAGABONDS - OTHER SIDE OF THE STREET

38 - VENICIA WILSON - FURTHER DOWN THE ROAD

39 - THE ARTISTICS - HOPE WE HAVE

40 - THE FOUR LARKS - GROOVING AT THE GO-GO

DISC FIVE

1 - TOBI LEGEND - TIME WILL PASS YOU BY

2 - ALEXANDER PATTON - A LITTLE LOVIN\' SOMETIMES

3 - GARLAND GREEN - AIN\'T THAT GOOD ENOUGH

4 - GWEN OWENS - JUST SAY YOU\'RE WANTED AND NEEDED

5 - BARBARA LEWIS - THE STARS

6 - SANDI SHELDON - YOU\'RE GONNA MAKE ME LOVE YOU

7 - LOU JOHNSON - UNSATISFIED

8 - THE GYPSIES - IT\'S A WOMAN\'S WORLD

9 - THE FOUR VANDALS - BIG STRONG LOVE IN MY HEART

10 - BRENDA HOLLOWAY - RECONSIDER

11 - LOUISE THOMAS - HE\'S SO IRREPLACEABLE

12 - THE TYMES - WHAT WOULD I DO

13 - JACKIE ROSS - KEEP YOUR CHIN UP

14 - THE VOLCANOS - IT\'S AGAINST THE LAWS OF LOVE

15 - TAMMI LAVETTE - TAKE A CHANCE ON LOVE

16 - ROSE BATTISTE - I MISS MY BABY

17 - J.J. BARNES - SWEET SHERRY

18 - CLIFFORD CURRY - I CAN\'T GET HOLD OF MYSELF

19 - VENICIA WILSON - I CAN\'T ERASE THE THOUGHTS OF YOU

20 - DIANE LEWIS - KEEP A HOLD ON ME

21 - GEROD HARRIS - HEADACHES AND HEARTACHES

22 - THE TEMPOS - COUNTDOWN HERE I COME

23 - MARVIN COTTERELL - TRY WALKING IN MY SHOES

24 - JIMMY THOMAS - DANCING ON THE EDGE OF A DREAM

25 - TAHIRA JUMAH - WHAT

26 - MARY LOVE - LAY THIS BURDEN DOWN

27 - LITTLE ANN - WHO ARE YOU TRYING TO FOOL

28 - TOMMY HUNT - LOVING ON THE LOSING SIDE

29 - NOEL McKOY AND EBONY ALLEYNE - SPECIAL DELIVERY

30 - BILLY BUTLER - THE RIGHT TRACK

31 - KENI BURKE of The FIVE STAIRSTEPS - STAY CLOSE TO ME

32 - SHENTON DIXON - I\'LL MOVE A MOUNTAIN

33 - EMANUEL LASKY - LUCKY TO BE LOVED BY YOU

34 - THE ORLONS - SPINNING TOP

35 - VERNA FRANCIS - BECAUSE OF YOU

36 - BOBBY PARIS - PERSONALLY

37 - CARL CARLTON - NOTHING NO SWEETER THAN LOVE

38 - KIM WESTON - HELPLESS

39 - PAT LEWIS - DON\'T YOU WORRY BABY THE BEST IS YET TO COME

40 - DEE DEE SHARP - WHAT KIND OF LADY

Social source share

Well despite the problems with Pinnacle going bust, Wienerworld seem to have made sure Amazon had stock for Christmas.

And it's still only £27.98, which is over seven pounds off the retail price.

And if anyone has been dithering over getting it as a Christmas present, now is the time to do it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Northern-Souls-Gre...7569&sr=8-1

Track Listing:

DISC ONE

1 - DOBIE GRAY - OUT ON THE FLOOR

2 - ALFIE DAVSION - LOVE IS A SERIOUS BUSINESS

3 - JIMMY CONWELL - TOO MUCH

4 - P.P. ARNOLD - EVERYTHING\'S GONNA BE ALRIGHT

5 - ERMA FRANKLIN - I GET THE SWEETEST FEELING

6 - THE ARTISTICS - I\'M GONNA MISS YOU

7 - THE FOUR VANDALS - WRONG SIDE OF TOWN

8 - WILLIE HUTCH - LOVE RUNS OUT

9 - EDDIE PARKER - LOVE YOU BABY

10 - BOBBY HEBB - YOU WANT TO CHANGE ME

11 - THE DYNAMICS - YES I LOVE YOU BABY

12 - TOMMY RIDGLEY - MY LOVE GROWS STRONGER

13 - RONNIE McNEIR - LUCKY NUMBER

14 - THE VONETTES - TOUCH MY HEART

15 - CINDY SCOTT - I LOVE YOU BABY

16 - KENNY BERNARD - PITY MY FEET

17 - DEAN PARRISH - DETERMINATION

18 - JOHNNY MOORE - WALK LIKE A MAN

19 - THE VEL-VETS - I GOTTA FIND ME SOMEBODY

20 - THE DELLS - RUN FOR COVER

21 - EDDIE HOLMAN - WHATEVER HAPPENED TO OUR MELODY

22 - FRANCES NERO - KEEP ON LOVING ME

23 - EVIE SANDS - PICTURE ME GONE

24 - MAXINE BROWN - ONE IN A MILLION

25 - JOE STUBBS - JUST A LITTLE MISUNDERSTANDING

26 - THE APOLLAS - MISTER CREATOR

27 - GENE CHANDLER - I CAN TAKE CARE OF MYSELF

28 - THE LOVETONES - FIRE ALARM

29 - MELVIN DAVIS - FIND A QUIET PLACE

30 - JIMMY THOMAS - WHERE THERE\'S A WILL THERE\'S A WAY

31 - SAM WARD - SISTER LEE

32 - EVELYN THOMAS - DOOMSDAY

33 - YVONNE VERNEE - JUST LIKE YOU DID ME

34 - THE CARSTAIRS - STICK BY ME BABY

35 - SAUNDRA EDWARDS - THERE\'S NOTHING ELSE TO SAY

36 - TONY MIDDLETON - PARIS BLUES

37 - RONNIE WALKER - YOU GOT TO TRY HARDER

38 - SANDRA PHILLIPS - WORLD WITHOUT SUNSHINE

39 - MARVIN SMITH - HAVE MORE TIME

40 - IRMA THOMAS - WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO DO

DISC TWO

1 - VENICIA WILSON - THIS TIME I\'M LOVING YOU

2 - DORIS TROY - I\'LL DO ANYTHING

3 - LEON HAYWOOD - BABY RECONSIDER

4 - SIDNEY BARNES - I HURT ON THE OTHER SIDE

5 - THE MONTCLAIRS - HUNG UP ON YOUR LOVE

6 - JO ARMSTEAD - I GOT THE VIBES

7 - THE VOLCANOS - STORM WARNING

8 - ANGELO STARR - STAND ON MY OWN TWO FEET

9 - JIMMY JAMES - A MAN LIKE ME

10 - EDWIN STARR - I HAVE FAITH IN YOU

11 - THE FOUR VANDALS - ONE PICTURE\'S WORTH A THOUSAND WORDS

12 - PAT LEWIS - IT\'LL NEVER BE OVER FOR ME

13 - THE JUST BROTHERS - SLICED TOMATOES

14 - L.J. JOHNSON - YOUR MAGIC PUT A SPELL ON ME

15 - DEON JACKSON - THAT\'S WHAT YOU DO TO ME

16 - J.J. BARNES - OUR LOVE IS IN THE POCKET

17 - THE THREE DEGREES - CONTACT

18 - SAM DEES - LONELY FOR YOU BABY

19 - EARL VAN DYKE - SIX BY SIX

20 - THE UNITED FOUR - SHE\'S PUTTING YOU ON

21 - THE SHIRELLES - LAST MINUTE MIRACLE

22 - THE VELOURS - I\'M GONNA CHANGE

23 - BETTYE LAVETTE - LET ME DOWN EASY

24 - DEAN COURTNEY - I\'LL ALWAYS NEED YOU

25 - RICHARD TEMPLE - THAT BEATIN\' RHYTHM

26 - LEE ANDREWS & THE HEARTS - NEVERTHELESS

27 - GWEN OWENS - YOU BETTER WATCH OUT

28 - BOBBY SHEEN - DOCTOR LOVE

29 - SISTERS LOVE - I\'M LEARNING TO TRUST MY MAN

30 - TAMMI LAVETTE - KISS MY LOVE GOODBYE

31 - BOBBY PARIS - NIGHT OWL

32 - BOBBY HUTTON - LEND A HAND

33 - BEVERLY ANN - YOU GOT YOUR MIND ON OTHER THINGS

34 - THE DRAMATICS - INKY DINKY WANG DANG DOO

35 - EVELYN THOMAS - MY HEAD\'S IN THE STARS

36 - FRANK WILSON - JANICE DON\'T BE SO BLIND TO LOVE

37 - THE SAPPHIRES - GOTTA HAVE YOUR LOVE

38 - THE SEQUINS - A CASE OF LOVE

39 - HERBERT HUNTER - I WAS SENT TO LOVE YOU

40 - LORRAINE CHANDLER - I CAN\'T HOLD ON

DISC THREE

1 - FRANK WILSON - DO I LOVE YOU (Indeed I Do)

2 - ROBERT KNIGHT - LOVE ON A MOUNTAIN TOP

3 - TAHIRA JUMAH - REACHING FOR THE BEST

4 - BOBBY HEBB - LOVE LOVE LOVE

5 - BUNNY SIGLER - GIRL DON\'T MAKE ME WAIT

6 - EVELYN THOMAS - WEAK SPOT

7 - BARBARA LYNN - YOU\'RE LOSING ME

8 - BARBARA PENNINGTON - TWENTY FOUR HOURS A DAY

9 - WILLIAM BELL - HAPPY

10 - RICHARD POPCORN WYLIE - ROSEMARY WHAT HAPPENED

11 - CHUCK JACKSON - ALL OVER THE WORLD

12 - BOBBY HUTTON - COME SEE WHAT\'S LEFT OF ME

13 - DEAN PARRISH - I\'M ON MY WAY

14 - WINSTON WARD - LONG AFTER TONIGHT IS ALL OVER

15 - PAT LEWIS - NO ONE TO LOVE

16 - TOBI LARK - HAPPINESS IS HERE

17 - ROSE BATTISTE - HIT AND RUN

18 - THE FOUR VANDALS - WITHOUT THE MUSIC

19 - BOB BRADY - MORE MORE MORE OF YOUR LOVE

20 - NOEL McKOY - DETERMINED MAN

21 - SHEILA FERGUSON - HEARTBROKEN MEMORIES

22 - FRANK WILSON - MY SUGAR BABY

23 - MARY LOVE - YOU TURNED MY BITTER INTO SWEET

24 - BILLY HARNER - WHAT ABOUT THE MUSIC

25 - THE VALADIERS - NO COMPETITION

26 - CARL CARLTON - COMPETITION AIN\'T NOTHING

27 - C.P. SPENCER - THIS MAN NEEDS YOU

28 - THE ROYAL JOKERS - LOVE GAME FROM A TO Z

29 - TOMMY HUNT - CRACKING UP OVER YOU

30 - JIMMY JAMES & THE VAGABONDS - LOOKS LIKE LOVE IS HERE TO STAY

31 - THE OLYMPICS - BABY DO THE PHILLY DOG

32 - J.J. BARNES - TALK OF THE GRAPEVINE

33 - THE FLIRTATIONS - STRONGER THAN HER LOVE

34 - JAMES FOUNTAIN - SEVEN DAY LOVER

35 - BARBARA MILLS - QUEEN OF FOOLS

36 - PAT LEWIS - FUNNY HOW WE CHANGED PLACES

37 - FREDDY BUTLER - THAT\'S WHAN I NEED YOU

38 - JIMMY BURNS - I REALLY LOVE YOU

39 - THERESA LINDSAY - I\'LL BET YOU

40 - KEN WILLIAMS - COME BACK

DISC FOUR

1 - THE CARSTAIRS - IT REALLY HURTS ME GIRL

2 - EDDIE PARKER - I\'M GONE

3 - BOB RELF - BLOWING MY MIND TO PIECES

4 - THE ELGINS - DON\'T WAIT AROUND

5 - THE PLATTERS - WITH THIS RING

6 - NAT AUGUSTIN - LOVE IS MY SANCTUARY

7 - THE GEMS - I\'LL BE THERE

8 - THE BLOSSOMS - THAT\'S WHEN THE TEARS START

9 - EDWIN STARR - BACK STREET

10 - PAT LEWIS - CAN\'T SHAKE IT LOOSE

11 - THE TYMES - THE LOVE THAT YOU\'RE LOOKING FOR

12 - RAY POLLARD - THE DRIFTER

13 - P.P. ARNOLD - I GO TO PIECES EVERYTIME

14 - JERRY WILLIAMS - IF YOU ASK ME

15 - JO ARMSTEAD - I FEEL AN URGE COMING ON

16 - BOB BRADY - EVERYBODY\'S GOING TO A LOVE IN

17 - ROBERT BANKS - A MIGHTY GOOD WAY

18 - MAXINE BROWN - LET ME GIVE YOU MY LOVING

19 - KIM WESTON - YOU HIT ME RIGHT WHERE IT HURT ME

20 - J.J. BARNES - PLEASE LET ME IN

21 - NOEL McKOY - MY CLAIM TO FAME

22 - WILLIE KENDRICK - CHANGE YOUR WAYS

23 - JACKIE ROSS - SELFISH ONE

24 - BOBBY PARIS - I WALKED AWAY

25 - JACKIE DAY - BEFORE IT\'S TOO LATE

26 - JIMMY THOMAS - THE BEAUTIFUL NIGHT

27 - LEE ANDREWS & THE HEARTS - I\'VE HAD IT

28 - VANESSA HAYNES - LEAVING THE SCENE OF THE CRIME

29 - JAY AND THE TECHNIQUES - ARE YOU READY FOR THIS

30 - ANGELO STARR - BABY I\'M STILL THE SAME MAN

31 - THE VALADIERS - WHAT\'S WRONG WITH ME BABY

32 - HOLLY HARRISON - BRIGHT LIGHTS OF THE CITY

33 - THE CARSTAIRS - HE WHO PICKS A ROSE

34 - BEVERLY ANN - HE\'S COMING HOME

35 - EVELYN THOMAS - HAVE A LITTLE FAITH IN ME

36 - LORRAINE CHANDLER - I CAN\'T CHANGE

37 - JIMMY JAMES & THE VAGABONDS - OTHER SIDE OF THE STREET

38 - VENICIA WILSON - FURTHER DOWN THE ROAD

39 - THE ARTISTICS - HOPE WE HAVE

40 - THE FOUR LARKS - GROOVING AT THE GO-GO

DISC FIVE

1 - TOBI LEGEND - TIME WILL PASS YOU BY

2 - ALEXANDER PATTON - A LITTLE LOVIN\' SOMETIMES

3 - GARLAND GREEN - AIN\'T THAT GOOD ENOUGH

4 - GWEN OWENS - JUST SAY YOU\'RE WANTED AND NEEDED

5 - BARBARA LEWIS - THE STARS

6 - SANDI SHELDON - YOU\'RE GONNA MAKE ME LOVE YOU

7 - LOU JOHNSON - UNSATISFIED

8 - THE GYPSIES - IT\'S A WOMAN\'S WORLD

9 - THE FOUR VANDALS - BIG STRONG LOVE IN MY HEART

10 - BRENDA HOLLOWAY - RECONSIDER

11 - LOUISE THOMAS - HE\'S SO IRREPLACEABLE

12 - THE TYMES - WHAT WOULD I DO

13 - JACKIE ROSS - KEEP YOUR CHIN UP

14 - THE VOLCANOS - IT\'S AGAINST THE LAWS OF LOVE

15 - TAMMI LAVETTE - TAKE A CHANCE ON LOVE

16 - ROSE BATTISTE - I MISS MY BABY

17 - J.J. BARNES - SWEET SHERRY

18 - CLIFFORD CURRY - I CAN\'T GET HOLD OF MYSELF

19 - VENICIA WILSON - I CAN\'T ERASE THE THOUGHTS OF YOU

20 - DIANE LEWIS - KEEP A HOLD ON ME

21 - GEROD HARRIS - HEADACHES AND HEARTACHES

22 - THE TEMPOS - COUNTDOWN HERE I COME

23 - MARVIN COTTERELL - TRY WALKING IN MY SHOES

24 - JIMMY THOMAS - DANCING ON THE EDGE OF A DREAM

25 - TAHIRA JUMAH - WHAT

26 - MARY LOVE - LAY THIS BURDEN DOWN

27 - LITTLE ANN - WHO ARE YOU TRYING TO FOOL

28 - TOMMY HUNT - LOVING ON THE LOSING SIDE

29 - NOEL McKOY AND EBONY ALLEYNE - SPECIAL DELIVERY

30 - BILLY BUTLER - THE RIGHT TRACK

31 - KENI BURKE of The FIVE STAIRSTEPS - STAY CLOSE TO ME

32 - SHENTON DIXON - I\'LL MOVE A MOUNTAIN

33 - EMANUEL LASKY - LUCKY TO BE LOVED BY YOU

34 - THE ORLONS - SPINNING TOP

35 - VERNA FRANCIS - BECAUSE OF YOU

36 - BOBBY PARIS - PERSONALLY

37 - CARL CARLTON - NOTHING NO SWEETER THAN LOVE

38 - KIM WESTON - HELPLESS

39 - PAT LEWIS - DON\'T YOU WORRY BABY THE BEST IS YET TO COME

40 - DEE DEE SHARP - WHAT KIND OF LADY

The whole set is excellent , and the clips highlighted are the stand outs for me : but if you needed an excuse to buy the set , that reason alone is .......... EARL VAN DYKE - SIX BY SIX

Malc Burton

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Gerod Harris, and some of the Four Vandals are on the Andrew Lloyd Webber contest tomorrow night on BBC1 in the search to find a song for Eurovision (yes - I know), but they're doing some kind of Temptations type act with five black singers singing live, and it might at least be interesting to see them.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!