Boomerang - Thorne 22 November

Guest Biggie G

Guest Biggie G

Just wanted to say, what a top night. The place was packed and the music was spot on all night. Been a while since we've been down (despite the fact that it's only 20 mins from our house). But this night just get's better and better.

People had travelled from all over the country to hear the post in crossover and 70's soul. Everybody is really friendly and despite the bitter cold it was rammed allnight.

All the dj's were excellent as usaul but stand out for me, as always, was Arther Fenn. The man doesn't have a bad tune.

Thanks Again and look forward to the next night, we won't leave it so long next time.

Cheers

Gareth and Janice

Edited by Biggie G
  • Replies 24
  • Views 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Aye well done to the 2 lovely ladies karen and marie ,good friendly folk and music to match all round..they say our crowd are too serious ah couldn't be more wrong more nutters than ya could shake a stick at .. certainly a success in what is the most difficult niche of our scene to promote the upfront soul nite !

Guest rosemary

We had a brilliant night at the Canal Tavern, the place was packed out and what a great venue!!!!

The atmosphere was electric, as soon as you walked through the door it hit you......

Lovely to see Kirsty and Michael, Dave and Kate, Annette and Mark, Christine and Rob, Debbie and Craig, Martin Dixon and Spot...... :ohmy:

Eventhough I'm a 60s girl at heart I loved the music :g: , well done to all concerned you have a wonderful soulful venue and hopefully I'll be back...

Love

Rosemary and Kyle

Guest Ste Brazil

I really enjoyed my first night at Thorne, good music and atmosphere, the only downside was my hangover from the previous night which prevented full on party mode taking over as it normally does after about 2 pints!!

Ste :thumbup:

Aye well done to the 2 lovely ladies karen and marie ,good friendly folk and music to match all round..they say our crowd are too serious ah couldn't be more wrong more nutters than ya could shake a stick at .. certainly a success in what is the most difficult niche of our scene to promote the upfront soul nite !

how packed was it??.Fantastic atmosphere,everyone up for chatting all night!.Hardly got near the dancefloor.

Always good to see Tats n Alison,Bully,Cliff,,,,,Kirsty,Spot n Gail,Paul n Sue,Howard etc....Tried to find Northern Nev and Mark Whiteley,never quite managed to get to you( or to the record sales.).

The Roses tin came out towards the end of the nite,prefer Ferrero Rocher mesen :lol: .Top Nite :thumbup:

Guest BigPaul

how packed was it??.Fantastic atmosphere,everyone up for chatting all night!.Hardly got near the dancefloor.

Always good to see Tats n Alison,Bully,Cliff,,,,,Kirsty,Spot n Gail,Paul n Sue,Howard etc....Tried to find Northern Nev and Mark Whiteley,never quite managed to get to you( or to the record sales.).

The Roses tin came out towards the end of the nite,prefer Ferrero Rocher mesen :D .Top Nite :thumbup:

Great Nite, Never shut me mouth from arriving to going home, apart from when i was

ferrying me passengers coats, handbags and fook knows what else back to the car :thumbup:

Loads of great people to chat to, think Andy Dyson put it in a nutshell :thumbup:

Great chat with Incognito, putting The Notts and Mansfield Soul Scene to rights :thumbup:

Oh and The Music, Quality :yes:

Regards

Paul

Guest Leona M

Just want to say a big thank-you to Karen and Maria for a really great night. The music was fantastic all night - Maria, Arthur and Butch - the dream team or what?

Thanks especially to Karen who, despite having a truly awful cold, not to mention the small matter of a night to run, provided 5 star accommodation for me and Adi and Yann and Kim, making our trip from London even more worthwhile :thumbup: She even managed to conjure up a winter wonderland in the morning with the view from the window looking like a Christmas Card - amazing!!!!!!! :thumbup:

I managed to find the Quality street just as we were leaving - who ate all the hazelnuts???? :thumbup:

We'll be back for sure!!

Well done girls x

Leona

Guest BintofSoul

Us 3 'soul sisters' had a great time. (my younger sis's first ever soul night). A first for all of us at Boomerang and we really enjoyed the music and atmosphere. I could not believe how busy it was at 9pm! It was lovely to see so many 'southern' faces in our little old home town :rolleyes: .

Nicki, Tracey & Lilly.

Edited by BintofSoul

The Roses tin came out towards the end of the nite,prefer Ferrero Rocher mesen biggrin.gif .Top Nite :rolleyes:

Sorry we never got to chat Kev,no doubt our paths will cross again soon.

I fortunately did manage to bump into Mark at the bar and had a great lengthy chat ,infact i spent most of the night bumping into and chatting to fellow sourcers.It was almost a soulsource night out :lol:

Finally got to meet Mo and Mick after a few near misses,two top people indeed.Tats,Bully ,the Boro boys,Flanny and his lovely lass Debbie,Mick&Kirsty......Maria and Karen(nurse Gladys :lol: )who made me and my good soul friend and travelling companion Suzannek feel so at ease as soon as we entered the door.Good to meet and chat to John Durant and anybody else i forgot to mention.

Infact i even spotted a lovely lady from York(Sue) who works in the post office where i used to post my records,never even knew she was into soul,small world indeed!

Absolutley loved everything about the place,Andy Dyson summed it up perfectly,such a great vibe and friendly bunch of people just simply having a great time.Very appreciative of what was on offer.

People just seemed to be up for a great night out ,maybe we just value quality time and are making the most of it before getting back to the daily grinde that is every day life.

Must also praise all dj's for some fantastic tunes from beginning to end,and for being so down to earth and nice with it .

Only worrying thing for me is ,if this place gets any more popular they'll need new premises,it was rammed full from very early on till finish and to think Middleton Allnighter was also on :lol:

A big thanx to Suzannek for getting me there and back safely

Well done all involved in Boomerang Thorne

Keep up the great work you do

Nev :lol:

Just like to echo what Northern Nev said. Was great 60s and 70s soul played. Judging by the dancefloor was some good modern stuff played also (though not personally into modern soul). I thought there was a good mix of music played overall.

Was good to see Kirsty and Mick :lol: and Sharon Soul Kitten :lol:

Oh and thanx for the lolly :lol:

Also thanx to my special soul friend Northern Nev for looking after me.

Suz :D

x

To echo what has already been said, absolutley top notch :D

Superb Music

Buzzin atmosphere

Friendly People

Oh.............................and Draught Guiness :D

We arrived around 9 and could barely get in! a real packer, nice to meet up with Northern Nev at last - (always at the bar though :unsure: seems we drink in synchronisation :lol: ) met/spoke to lots of people and saw/waved to lots more accross a crowded room and never got to speak :(

Spent our time with the Donny gang (Howard, Debs. Paul n Sue) & Russ n Jackie from Barnsley

As Leona said earlier Aurthur, Maria, Butch the Dream Team - oh yes!

We'll be back for more next time

M. thumbsup.gif

Thanks to everyone who came along on Saturday and the kind comments above. To be honest, Karen & I were both exhausted and dazed after this one and were not quite sure it went ok for everyone (..or was that just me? :rolleyes: ).

We hope you enjoyed the music and company - and left with some new friends, new sounds and a smile. Numbers were unusually high at about 160, which is double our quieter nights. Our regular dinner/drinks beforehand saw near 40 others too (was anyone else surprised at the size of those Yorkshire puddings?) and reminded me of such friendly flavoursome warm-ups that we enjoy at European events. It's a great way for everyone to meet and chat properly.

Met some really nice people for the first time myself and got lots of kisses too (woo hoo! :lol: ), but regret not catching up with so, so many others. I also snapped lots of photos of beautiful people & antics, and hope to get them up on the website next week. (A few might be held back for healthy bribes though, as I cracked one of my records - and you can't blame a girl for trying to raise some dosh now, can you).

Many thanks again to our guest DJs Butch and Arthur, who played some gorgeous soul sounds, particularly satisfying the girls there (we noticed :ohmy: ). Both have since kindly agreed to send on playlists for our website and I know that positive comments about sounds they played on the night meant a lot to them, especially the new boy.

...actually, Karen & I finally caught up for a quick chat yesterday and mainly talked about how much we enjoyed the music the guys played.

Thank you again - everyone.

m

ps. It's wrong to bore you all with promoter problems, but I really need to apologise about the technical issues some noticed. The sound side of things is mainly my responsibility and I'm still feeling pretty dreadful that everything wasn't perfect this time, even after bringing in a new expert and heavy investment in brand new equipment. The acoustics are difficult with all those bulkheads (& people), but we love the venue and will keep working on it - promise!

Also thanx to my special soul friend Northern Nev for looking after me.

x

Hiya Suz,

Nev went to great lengths to tell me about the young lady who chauferred him down - but never introduced me :P

How rude of him :)

Maybe next time :lol:

M. :ohmy:

All positive I hope :D . Well let me introduce meself, I was noticeable in the room cos I was about the only one not drinking cos I was driving :( I'm sure you would have been bowled over by my beauty :rolleyes::lol:

What is he like eh! Never mind.

x

Come on then Maria, where are the pics? Just so I can lament even more over the fact I wasn't there. I already had to deal with the live action texts coming through from Dru all evening on Saturday saying it was a belter...

Theresa x

Downloaded them an hour ago and they just need resizing for the website upload, so should be up next few days.

...Dru (with Pete) seems to feature in Mr Fenn's video below too :thumbup: .

ARTHUR FENN - playlist

set 1

Lee Williams and the Cymbals - It'a Everything About You (That I Love) (Carnival)

Eboney Essence - Let Me In (Goodie Train)

Marjorie Singletree - Never Let Go (Unissued C/U)

Donald Thomas - Calling Me Home (PMRC)

Jimmy Burns - Can't Get Over (Dispo)

Arthur Foy - Love Dreams (MCS)

The Camero's - Lover Come Back (Dar Cha)

Cookie Woodson - I'll Be True (Colossus)

Eloise Laws - Love Factory (Music Merchant)

The Hytones - Good News (Kent)

Mixed Emotions - Gold Of My Life (Rock-Way)

The Saints - I'll Let You Slide (Wigwam)

set 2

Bottom & Company - Gonna Find A True Love (Motown)

Archie Hodge - I Really Want To See You Girl (Narco)

Jesse James - If You Want A Love Affair (20th Century)

Herby Brown (with Randy Mather - Sax) - One More Broken Heart (Blue Ash)

Minnie Jones and the Honey's - Shadow Of A Memory [alternate version] (Sunset Sound acetate)

Papa Bear and the Cubs - You're So Fine (SMS)

Romona Collins - You've Been Cheating (Clark's)

LaRom Baker - You're the Best Thing (The Record Company)

Alan Harris - Love Is the Answer (unissued - Exact ChangeLP - acetate)

Detroit Sounds Of Friction - "I'm Leaving You" (Heavy Sound)

Wee - Try Me (Owl)

Coco and Ben - Good Feelin' (Earth World)

The Nu-Rons - All Of My Life (Nu-Ron)

Jessie James - Are You Gonna Leave Me (Shirley)

The Royal VII - It's An Explosion (Part 1) (Windmill)

Patrinell Staten - Little Love Affair (Sepia)

The Volumes - I've Never Been So In Love (Garu)

The Camaro's - We're Not Too Young (To Fall In Love) (Dar Cha)

"> Edited by Maria O

BUTCH - playlist

(not in order):

Martha Jean Love - That's the way the story goes

Ronnie Walker - I should cry

Clara Hardy - It's you

Albert Jones - Satisfaction

Milton James - My Lonely Feeling

Diplomats - Run to my Lovin Arms

Roy Roberts - So Much In Love

Magicians - Love Lets Try Again

Tommy tate & The Derbys - Don't Play the Role