What attracts you to a new venue/do?

I was just wondering, what attracts people to a venue/do for the first time?

Is it the advertised DJ's?

Do the Flyers that you see at every Do work?

Is it from actual reviews on sites and in magazines?

Or is it just the good old fashioned 'word of mouth'?

Like I said, I was just sitting here wondering (might get some tips if ever I put a do on, LOL!).

Social source share

• Replies 10
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

The DJ line up is what I look for. I know it will be a good night if the DJ's are playing music I like.

The flyers help. Got to sift through them though, sometimes there are too many.

I don't usually let word of mouth influence me. I like to see for myself what the venue's like.

Been to some places that have been cold and old but the music's been awesome.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

For me, it is just the fact it is somewhere new. Obviously prefer it if a mate says, you should go to......

Was talking about this at the wekend. One of the buzzes about going to a soul night, or allnighter, is turning up in a part of Britain you have never been to before, and trying to find the venue. Sometimes asking bemused drunks where XXXX is, and informing them your night is just beginning while there's is at an end.

Social source share

I agree with Deanne- We put on two alldayers in Shoreditch, with 12 top djs on the two events (inc.Ady, Brian Rae, Tony Smith) and most people I spoke to said they came because they could'nt believe the line ups. The venue was (in my view) a bit progressive- concrete floors anybody? but we aimed at a lot of people who go there just to listen to Drum n Bass and techno. A lot of these people turned up and had a good time, hopefully to go home and think about getting a bit more heart and soul in their musical tastes....

As for the flyers, I always think a bit of humour makes me remember them more.

Social source share

For the first time guess it has to be the DJ line up, after that depending on what the night was like my personal preferances for going to a venue are

Friends

Dj's

State of venue, basic needs like toilets being clean!

Not bothered about location as I travel every weekend all over to do's, but have been put off going ot the Brixton do because of the area!

Social source share

Me and Kolla went to Grapevine at Brixton on my scooter- two cops told us the scooter wouldn't last 2 hours! In the end, the venue was fine, good security and just down the road from the tube station.

Social source share

Word of mouth from mates is the way for me even if unknown djs. Also do they sell real ale and have girls there with own set of teeth..

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

The venue is probably one of the more important factors for me especially the size of the floor.

Secondly, I am interested in the DJ's because having heard oldies (dont start that arguement) for ages and eons I now like to listen to stuff that isnt played out so much and Im even getting into the more modern disco genre but I didnt admit that.

You know, no matter where I go I can always say this... it is always a pleasure. Everyone is always so nice and chatty and respectful. Not many places you can go that offer those qualities is there. Maybe its just our age now bsmoke.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert