The Torch Dec 9th 1972

torch_art_gallery692.jpg

a few people have asked if I could put together something for the refrosol part of this forum to celebrate the greatest Northern Soul live show of all time.

With Mike Hughes help I might be able to get 30mins from the contempo recording on here for all those that have never heard it before plus another 30min hit from the recent Chris Lalor tape that Toad did for us all.

I missed the Major lance night in Dec 1972 and can only dream what it must have been to be there as the live recording I played yesterday made me tingle....its fookin awesome.

So over to you guys, if theres enough interest we'll have ago at editing etc over the weekend.

PD

Edited by PaulDonnelly
Social source share

• Replies 71
  • Views 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

torch_art_gallery692.jpg

a few people have asked if I could put together something for the refrosol part of this forum to celebrate the greatest Northern Soul live show of all time.

With Mike Hughes help I might be able to get 30mins from the contempo recording on here for all those that have never heard it before plus another 30min hit from the recent Chris Lalor tape that Toad did for us all.

I missed the Major lance night in Dec 1972 and can only dream what it must have been to be there as the live recording I played yesterday made me tingle....its fookin awesome.

So over to you guys, if theres enough interest we'll have ago at editing etc over the weekend.

PD

[/quot

My first night at the Torch...wasn't Edwin Starr the live act ..Dec 9th?

Social source share

torch_art_gallery692.jpg

PD

Shall look forward to it mate wink.gif Funny when I logged on the thread title said 'Dec 9th 1972'. Now that date sorta sticks in yer mind and without thinkin yer know its gonna be about the Major. :D

For those who don't like 'live acts' as part of there personal fix of northern soul---listen to that b*stard :shades:

Good luck with it Paul

Social source share

I think mine was Doris Troy but I can't be sure, there for Edwin Starr though :shades:

Just gone through my Torch stuff..."December - Programme deatils" those little pocket size fold up flyers..

Deffo Dec 9th with supporting act Mac and Katie Kissoon Member £1 each...(did they appear???)

Sunday Dec 31st NEW YEARS EVE ALL-NIGHTER BALL with Archie Bell adv tickets £2 (robbing bastard wink.gif )

Social source share

Guest bazrico

I think mine was Doris Troy but I can't be sure, there for Edwin Starr though :D

I can't remember my first niter but i do remember just going outside and Chris saying them greaser are trying to come into your club when was that

Social source share

One thing is for sure! if you went to the Torch regardless of how many times, every time was fantastic! maybe because we were so young and green(and clear) we didn´t know what was to come next, but one thing is for sure it was the bizz.........the opening bars of PP Arnold i will never forget!!!

Steve

ps and the bogs!!

the first time I went Feb 73 I held onto them railings, i swear the whole building was moving.

Social source share

Thanks to Dave Wapples for the cd...Ive just listend to the whole thing in stereo for the first time with no crackles. :D Did Mr. Lance really say half way through Investigate "is everybody blocked?" fantastic..

It truly is one of the greatest peices of northern soul history that allways leaves me with a smile on my face but a gut wrenching jealousy of those who attended this particular night.

Edited by PaulDonnelly
Social source share

One thing is for sure! if you went to the Torch regardless of how many times, every time was fantastic! maybe because we were so young and green(and clear) we didn´t know what was to come next, but one thing is for sure it was the bizz.........the opening bars of PP Arnold i will never forget!!!

Steve

ps and the bogs!!

...and your behaviour on the coach... :D

Social source share

spike of chestterfield i was 13 in 72 just getting into soul older sisters' boyfriends but am i right in thinking that a live recording was released on pye disco demand? was it an ep? think i had it but it got repossed with all my other vynel in 1980 my mate had them at his flat but did not pay the rent spikde wigan 1976-79 and other venus twisted wheel twice this year its so like mr m's

torch_art_gallery692.jpg

PD

Social source share

Spike

As far as I can remember mate those Disco demand beasts :lol: didn't come out till 1974 and into 75. Trying to bring Northern to the masses :thumbsup:

Those b*strd bailiffs hey mate---Taking yer records for non payment of rent. Bet one was a closet soulie thinking 'ahh nice one i'll 'ave these'

Social source share

Being local (Leek) I was a regular at the greatest little soul club before nighters began. I was just blown away by the nighters and the atmosphere. Jnr Walker was a fantastic night I dont know how to this day so many packed into that place.

Any one remember the Fontella Bass night? not a packer but brilliant.

Pat Wallace

Social source share

Being local (Leek) I was a regular at the greatest little soul club before nighters began. I was just blown away by the nighters and the atmosphere. Jnr Walker was a fantastic night I dont know how to this day so many packed into that place.

Any one remember the Fontella Bass night? not a packer but brilliant.

Pat Wallace

Do you know mate I can't remember the Fontella Bass night. I must have gone cos i hardly missed any of the nighters.

Anyway Pat being from Leek do you remember a lad from Leek called Max who was also a regular. Seem to remember he lived in a flat in a big old house in Basford (basford Leek not basford of Queens fame :lol: )

he used to come with us to the torch on a fair few occasions with Sneaksy and Nova from Biddulph and Dobbie from Congleton. Not seen him since wigan first year.

Yep Junior walker night was brill although a mate of mine saw him do a gig at the wheel and he said that was without doubt the best Live performance he had seen (though the torch one was a close 2nd) :thumbsup:

cheers jez

Social source share

Guest melandthensome

On Mels photo fourth head up on the right Dave Cooper from Gloucester(formerly Leeds) another top charachter off the scene......serious faces when under the influence and dancing :( ha ha

Steve

Alright Steve

how the hell are ya mate..........

theres a few from around here on the pic and as you quite rightly said above all had serious faces when being with those loveable Riker and Smith Kline n French rouges.........arf arf.......

take it easy mate

mel spansual green n clear ahum....... :P:D

Social source share

One thing is for sure! if you went to the Torch regardless of how many times, every time was fantastic!

Steve

ps and the bogs!!

I found going to the bogs the most scary thing of the whole night :P The 1st I went I saw teeth

marks on one of the wooden doors :( But nothing, I mean nothing beats coming out at 08.00am

in the morning wondering just what the freck had gone on the last 10 hours :D

Chris L

Social source share

I found going to the bogs the most scary thing of the whole night :boxing: The 1st I went I saw teeth

marks on one of the wooden doors :lol: But nothing, I mean nothing beats coming out at 08.00am

in the morning wondering just what the freck had gone on the last 10 hours :D

Chris L

Ah , The gents toilet ....

I attended one all - nighter in 1972 , dressed to the nines in a new light grey mohair suit . Just after midnight , I needed to spend a penny , so I made my way through the masses , I got onto the bottom step , slipped and went full length on my back in the inch or so of urine on the floor . I had to beg items of clothing to get changed into , and CB let me get a strip wash in the sink in his office . The suit was put into the bin at the back of The Torch ........

Malc Burton

Social source share

I'm doing my very best to get this out for Dec 9th however mitigtating circumstnces with regard to business issue are taking over...I ;ll do my very best to go live at 9pm Dec 9th..

Still going ahead tonight Mr D ?

Malc Burton

Social source share

Guest mickeyb

On Mels photo fourth head up on the right Dave Cooper from Gloucester(formerly Leeds) another top charachter off the scene......serious faces when under the influence and dancing :thumbsup: ha ha

Steve

Mike Venn from Cheltenham is stood behind Dave and Ady Pountain is a couple of people to Mike's right. Looks like there was big turn out from Glos that night. Wish I'd been old enough.

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

the first time I went Feb 73 I held onto them railings, i swear the whole building was moving.

well l was there for the MAJOR live performance.......can't remember a thing lol :g::thumbsup: .....just it was brill,fookin packed and as many out side,i'm told :g:

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Also,if you look on the back of the LP...in about the middle you can clearly see DAVE COOPER from gloucester,top bloke,still about at weekenders :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Always said going into the Torch reminded me of the old westerns! stranger walks into a saloon smoke hanging halfway in the room :g: every angle dodgy looking cnuts but ATMOSPHERE!!! if you could bottle it or turn into tablets(51st state style) make a fortune.

Steve

and so many charachters... Slenders,Clapton,jake & Ezzie , Earl Loughrie Danny Baker, Little Willie, Robbo ,Hippo :thumbsup: Pete Lawson,Flash.Evvo,Dodger,Click, the list is endless! met so many people who became lasting friends in such a short time. Glad i was there

is that CLICK from hinkley???

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

remember one night....when the emergency doors were opened it used to make a noise and a flashing light used to come on,this night the doors opened and a holdall was thrown in,quickly grabbed up by someone......but no one came in.....wonder what was in the holdall? :thumbsup:

Social source share

sorry guys, it aint gonna happen tonight, another week at least.

In the mean time happy Major Lance at the Torch Day...

p233331rnrp.jpg

Nay mind , Paul : Whether it is 36 years , or 36 years and 1 week , it does not matter - it is the " another typical Martyn Ellis cock up " that counts ........

A bit further on with the completion of our discussed audio " project " , which hopefully will tie in with the 36 & a 1/2 anniversary ........

Whilst we wait , here is " Sing - A - Long - A - Major " ...........

Walking through the park , it wasn't quite dark

There was a man sitting on a bench

Out of the crowd as his head lowly bowed

He just moaned and he made no sense

He'd just go

Um, um, um, um, um, um

Um, um, um, um, um, um

Um, um, um, um, um, um

Um, um, um, um, um, um

I just couldn't help myself

Yes, I was born with a curious mind

I asked this man just what did he mean

When he moaned if he'd be so kind

And he'd just go

Um, um, um, um, um, um

Um, um, um, um, um, um

Um, um, um, um, um, um

Um, um, um, um, um, um

Now that I've grown up

And the woman I love she has gone

Now that I'm a man, I think I understand

Sometimes everyone must sing this song ..........

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

heres a good story from the torch.Being only a young un at the time l could only get lifts under sufferance from older fellas.One night we went up there a right motley crew we were,with ages ranging from 15 to about 25/6...two car loads of us.Parked in the square at the end of hose street through a little alley.We all got in,no probs,all off our faces.This particular night we took a fella who wasn't into soul music as such,just liked to get smashed his name was jonny burns,danced with his hands at his side like a gunslinger off,of a western.Sometime in the night jonny goes off to the bog for a piss,comes back 10 mins later all bashed up and disheveled,he'd bin rolled in the toilets :wicked::excl: ...One other in our party was a tall thin guy called barry (originaly from liverpool) we all called him very nicely SCOUSE (yeh l know lol) well barry was well ard,but he couldn't half dance as well and he could do back drops quicker than anyone i've ever seen....down and up in a flash.When jonny pointed out one of the fellas that had rolled im,Barry did no more than dance over to this fella,down with the back drop,straight back up ......head butt....knocked the cnut out cold.Shit me up l can tell ya and he was with me.......anyone else got any good tales from this club...tezza

Social source share

Never been to torch,i heard so much about it from other soulies,i remember 2 years ago myself and norwich dancer(helen) went to Bury allnighter,out on the floor enjoying myself,this lad came up to me, well known face on the scene,he said, ''billy i got something for you'', i said, ''oh yeah'' its in my bag, we went out to the reception area,outcome this sweatshirt with amazing torch badge on it,i said, ''is that for me'', he said ''yes'', i said ''cheers mate i've never been to torch'', ''your joking'' he said,''no honestly'',he gave me a dirty look stuck his shirt in his bag again and stormed off,he never spoke to me since,thats dedication for you.

Billy

Social source share

Anyone who really knows me will tell you that i think the Torch was the Greatest All niter So Farrrr!!

Nothing will ever touch it for me!!

I even have my ticket stub for the very first one in March 1972

ive just dug out of me arkive (cant spell ) the December Small Flyer for events during that month!!

they were TOP QUALTY for the day glossy fold up cards that neary 40 years on im SO GLAD i kept nearly every thing!!

Torchboy x

post-1851-1229373196_thumb.jpg

post-1851-1229373279_thumb.jpg

Social source share

The Torch was the dog's bo**ocks, the dancing, the records, the gear, the 240 mile drive to get there, the clothes, even the bogs (more disgusting than Wigan's),the atmosphere, and the fact that the scene was fairly young at the time (nothing to be cynical about) all made it the best allniter as far as I'm concerned.

Just a note about Major Lance at the Torch, sadly, on his first appearance (Oct 72) there, he was under-rehearsed, the band was crap and if I remember rightly he sang My Sweet Lord...........

The attached pic shows Major Lance backstage at the Torch (Oct 72) - Judy Moss also in photo (hiya Judy) plus unknown chaps

post-1148-1229468367_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Guest Jimmy Scriv

I was at the Junior Walker Gig anybody remember what date that was? I thought that was around Christmas time.

I remember Junior introducing his son as part of the Allstars.

The Torch my favourite venue :D

Social source share

The Torch was the dog's bo**ocks, the dancing, the records, the gear, the 240 mile drive to get there, the clothes, even the bogs (more disgusting than Wigan's),the atmosphere, and the fact that the scene was fairly young at the time (nothing to be cynical about) all made it the best allniter as far as I'm concerned.

Just a note about Major Lance at the Torch, sadly, on his first appearance (Oct 72) there, he was under-rehearsed, the band was crap and if I remember rightly he sang My Sweet Lord...........

The attached pic shows Major Lance backstage at the Torch (Oct 72) - Judy Moss also in photo (hiya Judy) plus unknown chaps

How very true : how times have changed ..........

Major , in his October appearance , did indeed sing " My Sweet Lord " - which was off key for most of the song . I seem to recall that he had only met the band * in the afternoon , hence the performance being well below standard .........

( * The band was The John McFlair Band , who usually provided the support to the acts at The Torch )

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Anyone who really knows me will tell you that i think the Torch was the Greatest All niter So Farrrr!!

Nothing will ever touch it for me!!

I even have my ticket stub for the very first one in March 1972

ive just dug out of me arkive (cant spell ) the December Small Flyer for events during that month!!

they were TOP QUALTY for the day glossy fold up cards that neary 40 years on im SO GLAD i kept nearly every thing!!

Torchboy x

I got the Dec one nice pink plus the Feb light blue programe details

feb 3rd ROY C WITH THE JOHN MCFLAIR BAND

Feb 10th Major Lanve

Feb 24th THE OJAYS

soon...Bobby Hebb , Eddie Parker, The Drifters and Fontella Bass

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

never been a fan of patch's/badges ect......got a torch one though and will never part with it....stuck fast on me record box lid for a start lol :D

Social source share

I was at the Junior Walker Gig anybody remember what date that was? I thought that was around Christmas time.

I remember Junior introducing his son as part of the Allstars.

The Torch my favourite venue :D

Saturday , November 18th ..........

Malc Burton

Social source share

Does anyone remember what date the 'Edwin Starr' gig was at the 'Torch' ? I remember it so well, cos i was so wired that I jumped up on the stage and started dancing at the side of him, didn't get thrown off either, in fact Edwin thought it was a good idea and signalled the crowd to join me, within seconds the stage was packed. One of my claims to fame that :-). I was also at the 'Major Lance' gig, top nights them, oh to be there again.

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...

Never missed a night at the Torch & got there anyway we could. Second from the left is Kipper Lynch from Worcester; next to him are a couple of lads who, from memory, lived in Evesham. On the back cover front & centre are myself (Jayne/Jaynie or as some bloke used to call me Knotty) & Caroline Jones, we both came from Malvern. Also pictured on the left midway back is the delightful Mr Burroughs J

Social source share

Never missed a night at the Torch & got there anyway we could. Second from the left is Kipper Lynch from Worcester; next to him are a couple of lads who, from memory, lived in Evesham. On the back cover front & centre are myself (Jayne/Jaynie or as some bloke used to call me Knotty) & Caroline Jones, we both came from Malvern. Also pictured on the left midway back is the delightful Mr Burroughs J

Good man...

with a bit of luck later this morning Mike will have formatted the sound and you can all hear 19 mins of Major Lance live at the Torch accompanied with some old and new photos of the Torch plus some of the dodgy geezers I used to hang about...anyone remember Roger Bloxham aka 'blocker' or Duncan Wiles (Trigger) he had a gun!!!! :ohmy: Terry Tibbs would fight with the stuns in the road if he didn;t like them....happy days.

They were all 2/3 year older than me, but the greatest bunch of blokes you could ever wish to meet, last year at my Birthday I asked Josh why he used to let me tag along..."you were the only one thin enough to get through the Chemies Window" :lol:

Social source share

Good man...

with a bit of luck later this morning Mike will have formatted the sound and you can all hear 19 mins of Major Lance live at the Torch accompanied with some old and new photos of the Torch plus some of the dodgy geezers I used to hang about...anyone remember Roger Bloxham aka 'blocker' or Duncan Wiles (Trigger) he had a gun!!!! :lol: Terry Tibbs would fight with the stuns in the road if he didn;t like them....happy days.

They were all 2/3 year older than me, but the greatest bunch of blokes you could ever wish to meet, last year at my Birthday I asked Josh why he used to let me tag along..."you were the only one thin enough to get through the Chemies Window" :thumbup:

yes every self respecting chemist had a decent 'skylight' in those days :thumbup:

Shall look forward to this Paul :ohmy:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!