Stewartby Allnighter

This has the makings of a great venue for an all nighter. Venue - spot on, Music - great with some more rare stuff played but suited the local crowd as well.

Desrvedly a good turnout. Bar staff, prices etc great and friendly. The only thing I will say is that I think this will be a sucesful venue in the future as long as there is no overkill and it is about 4 times a year.

Oh and definatley not enough Mamsey Pamsey.....................only joking biggrin.gif

Good luck in the future :ohmy:

QoFxx

Edited by chrissie
  • Replies 43
  • Views 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Its only 2.30................

Russ

I know but due to health reasons I couldn't stay much later.......................and the early bar closing of 1.30 needs to be sorted for the future. I am sure once the venue have realised what a nice little earner this could be for them they will look into bar extension. It was a first for them and once they realise that us soulies are quite a good natured bunch of peeps they will not have any probs with license extension

QoFxx

I know but due to health reasons I couldn't stay much later.......................and the early bar closing of 1.30 needs to be sorted for the future. I am sure once the venue have realised what a nice little earner this could be for them they will look into bar extension. It was a first for them and once they realise that us soulies are quite a good natured bunch of peeps they will not have any probs with license extension

QoFxx

Its an Allnighter...............

Russ

Didn't get there until 1:00 AM and was surprised to find a good size crowd and a first class venue, which is just perfect for a nighter.........good sound system, large wood board dancefloor and a large adjacent bar/seating area.

Danny Price played a great spot with a nice mix of underplayed uptempo 60's and all the usual suspects were in attendance plus it was good to chat with Anton L.

Had to leave at 3:45 due to having to get a lift home with someone else but really enjoyed the few hours we were able to be there and will definitely be back next time. :D

Well done Ady and Paul a great first night for what could hopefully be a regular nighter in this neck of the woods. :ohmy:

PS: The bar was still serving when we left and I bought my last pint at about 3:30 AM so don't know why Chrissie thought the bar closed early ????????? unsure.gif

Guest Dr Pickles

Absolutely loved It.

Great venue, great floor and spot on musically.

Top quality sound system. :ohmy:

Great atmosphere.

Ady, Paul - fantastic opening night gallery_1774_234_4343.gif

Many thanks

Doc

Edited by Dr Pickles

PS: The bar was still serving when we left and I bought my last pint at about 3:30 AM so don't know why Chrissie thought the bar closed early ????????? unsure.gif

They were still serving when I left as well but it was advertised as bar till 1.30 I thought may put people off but judging by the numbers I was happily proved wrong. I must say, the bar staff and management were very good and obliging.

also forgot to say in my earlier post and agree with Pickles, the dance floor was great and my biggest downer of the night was that because of my recovering broken ankle I wasn't able to dance to more than about 5 records all night, it is one of those dance floors that just makes you want to dance.

Looking forward to the next one :ohmy:

QoFxx

Guest kev such

Top from. Great night. Me, Karen, Bev and Nidge got there for about 10pm. Good crowd when we arrived that just kept growing as the night went on. First rate venue, with the seating area away from the dance floor so no mishaps or collisions occuring. Also the ability to chat without having to shout, perfect. well priced at £5 entry for a nighter and bar prices perfect. Bar staff were brilliant and even though there was a good sized crowd in, you didnt have to wait long to be served.

Good mix of tunes from the DJs we heard, not too rare continuously and not too common either, dance floor was kept MORE than happy.

Good to Meet Hammie(looking forward to you spinning for us in May mate) Mr Fortnum and "Hard as nails". Also to see and chat with many friends. Good to see Chris and Lou again.

Unfortunately we had to leave at 2am but we really wanted to stay to the end.

Great time had Ady, well done mate and look forward to many more.

regards

Kev and Karen

Cream Cracker 21st March. Mark D, Alan Leighton (30 minute punter spot), Dr Pickles, Molly,Martin Stanford and Johnny Redpants

Edited by kev such

Top from. Great night. Me, Karen, Bev and Nidge got there for about 10pm. Good crowd when we arrived that just kept growing as the night went on. First rate venue, with the seating area away from the dance floor so no mishaps or collisions occuring. Also the ability to chat without having to shout, perfect. well priced at £5 entry for a nighter and bar prices perfect. Bar staff were brilliant and even though there was a good sized crowd in, you didnt have to wait long to be served.

Good mix of tunes from the DJs we heard, not too rare continuously and not too common either, dance floor was kept MORE than happy.

Good to Meet Hammie(looking forward to you spinning for us in May mate) Mr Fortnum and "Hard as nails". Also to see and chat with many friends. Good to see Chris and Lou again.

Unfortunately we had to leave at 2am but we really wanted to stay to the end.

Great time had Ady, well done mate and look forward to many more.

regards

What a brilliant night ... I got there at the start and heard some really fabulous soul music right from the off. The rest of the night didn't disappoint either with a really full appreciative crowd of up for it dancers and a spot on venue. Only left earlier than planned as had done a soul nite friday..won't do that again, will save all energy levels for stewartby next time!

I very rarely get asked to dj so thanks Adey for asking me and thanks to the floor for giving their all ... particularly string vest man and his lovely lady!

Phil R

Guest outonthefloor

Absolutely loved It.

Great venue, great floor and spot on musically.

Top quality sound system. :thumbup:

Great atmosphere.

Ady, Paul - fantastic opening night gallery_1774_234_4343.gif

Many thanks

Doc

We got there about 10 45 and I must admit I was expecting to walk into a draughty hall with 10 middle aged, less than hirsute men standing round and a couple of perplexed locals....how wrong could I be??? The place was full of faces some familiar and some not so familiar but all friendly and looking like they were having a great time.

The two ladies on the door were lovely and welcoming and I couldn't believe I got £15 change from me twenty pound note when I paid to get in.

The venue was terrific but the very large bar area with comfortable seating may have been just a little too comfortable as it did remain more packed than the dance floor most of the night. Not a reflection on the tunes which IMO were spot on all nite.

Saying that the floor was steady and there were no tumbleweed moments so all in all a nice mix.

As I am STILL on crutches I couldn't dance, which was a personal agony for me and only served to reinforce my total lack of understanding of how anyone can enjoy a niter and not dance. Saying that, I did really enjoy myself but only because I know, hopefully that my condition is only temporary.

Dr P modest as ever didn't mention that he also spun some quality tunage and continues to be one of the scenes best kept secrets as far as Djin is concerned. Also a truly decent bloke who always has time to chat, he even offered me his coat outside as it was freezing!!!

The Doc aside I have to say Carl Fortnum is the bomb! I don't think he owns a bad tune and his set felt so seamless because of the way he mixes up his playlist even the stuff I didn't know sounded familiar to me and I would have been on that dance floor in me own little world for the every tune .....All the DJ's we heard played their socks off and it was a good mix of rare tunes and niter stormers.

Anyway, Massive thanks to Julie for taking the driving seat and Shane who came straight from work and still managed to last the nite, Paul and Kitty for their great company and all me mates who kept this chair ridden soulie company and amused all nite including Mr T and Farnbrough Mick, Toby xx Kev, Phil, Chrissie, Lorraine, Rob, Julie and everyone else who knows me, as the saying goes....not forgetting the lovely Lou aka Mrs Doctor P another of the many diamonds on this fantastic scene of ours...Ooo I've come over all emotional

We will defo be back and if you could stall it till ive got me dancing shoes back all the better lolol

Thanks for a great nite

Helen

xxxxx

What an awesome night .

Ady , Paul and all their helpers pulled off a quality night of music .

A lot of time and effort was put in and this was clear to see in how well organised the evening was .

All the DJ's played top drawer sounds all night , the venue is incredible , a terrific crowd ,

and must agree with what has been said about the bar staff .

Can't wait for the next one

Des

Guest Carrie Mehome

Awesome night - something for everyone. Was really pleased to see this venue packed when we arrived - being a new night we did wonder if numbers would be low but were proved wrong! A friendly crowd and as someone said earlier - really up for it! Helen thanks for letting us ride in your mystery machine and big thanks to Julie for driving. Hellos to Shane, Mark, Chrissie, Lorraine and our resident kidnapee Mick, Anton, Julie no.2 etc. etc. We were half hoping someone would have Monster Mash in their record collection for poorly Helen and her crazy boot abd crutches! Ahh just kidding! x :thumbup:

Guest gordon russell

well what a great start for this super venue,nice and busy as it should be and excellent tunes played all night.Got there at 9.30 so missed a couple of early sets,but as there was a lot of soul night folk there the earlier music was spot on,a good mix without being boring,as the night moved on the tunes got better and better and much less safe.Uptempo all night as a nighter should be.The phrase " RARER STUFF" used on this thread is not quite acurate,it is being used for records that people just don't know....so they call them RARE...what was there all night was quality,ADYand CARL provided the majority of rare tunes MAC STATTON,DEWY BLACK (OH FECKING YES) and many more. Special mention as far as l am concerned must go to paul W,big dan and the superb Dr Pickles (take note phil k) these fellas played uptempo soul with shear class and l would be fair in saying none of their tunes were overly rare (ref my earlier point).This is the whole point....DOESN'T HAVE TO BE and for the first time in a long while down south found myself asking what's this,what's that.These are the sets that make you glad to be at a venue.We go for two things the crac with like minded people and the MUSIC...this night had both.WELL DONE LADS can't wait for the next one :thumbup::boxing::ohmy:

Guest outonthefloor

well what a great start for this super venue,nice and busy as it should be and excellent tunes played all night.Got there at 9.30 so missed a couple of early sets,but as there was a lot of soul night folk there the earlier music was spot on,a good mix without being boring,as the night moved on the tunes got better and better and much less safe.Uptempo all night as a nighter should be.The phrase " RARER STUFF" used on this thread is not quite acurate,it is being used for records that people just don't know....so they call them RARE...what was there all night was quality,ADYand CARL provided the majority of rare tunes MAC STATTON,DEWY BLACK (OH FECKING YES) and many more. Special mention as far as l am concerned must go to paul W,big dan and the superb Dr Pickles (take note phil k) these fellas played uptempo soul with shear class and l would be fair in saying none of their tunes were overly rare (ref my earlier point).This is the whole point....DOESN'T HAVE TO BE and for the first time in a long while down south found myself asking what's this,what's that.These are the sets that make you glad to be at a venue.We go for two things the crac with like minded people and the MUSIC...this night had both.WELL DONE LADS can't wait for the next one :thumbup::boxing::ohmy:

Good point about the 'rare' comments. Think what I meant was rarely played out.

:thumbsup: travelled down from wolves looking for a change of venue , enjoyed the friendly atmosphere, company was brill , music good, decent place . bit hesitant as it was first night but pleasantly suprised, will defo go again :thumbup:

Guest soulintent

Really good music, Brill atmosphere, One of those nites where you hope for a crap record so you can rest for 5 mins. It did'nt happen, it was all good, so good that even elaine had to sit down while there was music going at 100MPH! Hope they get a permanent niter going there cos it is one venue that everyone will want to go to. well done!

Guest gordon russell

hi helen,didn't mean your comment on rare :thumbsup: .....just a general observation.......unknown to someone doesn't always mean it's rare thats all :thumbup:biggrin.gif ..tezza

Hi Ady,

well done mate, you and the gang pulled off a brilliant night. Everyone I've spoken to had a great time.

Glad to hear that the Hall Management was happy with the night and has given the go ahead for more nights of the same.

Just like to add, Pickles that was awesome mate!

Looking forward to the next one, Melvyn

what a great first allnighter at stewartby, great venue and a great up for it crowd and there was a buzz about the place with good uptempo music being played all night. just like to thank ady and paul for inviting me to dj , really enjoyed myself :thumbsup: this allnighter is what this area has been crying out for for along time, its like a breath of fresh air :thumbup: looking forward to the next one

well done lads, great night

danny

what a great first allnighter at stewartby, great venue and a great up for it crowd and there was a buzz about the place with good uptempo music being played all night. just like to thank ady and paul for inviting me to dj , really enjoyed myself :thumbsup: this allnighter is what this area has been crying out for for along time, its like a breath of fresh air :lol: looking forward to the next one

well done lads, great night

danny

Hi Ady/Paul,

Well done, with your first allnighter in Bedfordshire for many a year, I echo danny's comments, Superb venue, Excellent debut crowd, Great Music. Many Thanks for the DJ invite, it was a priveledge to open what has the potential to be a Special Niter. If you ask me again, I promise to go Frenetic Uptempo Underplayed Unknowns.

Steve

Guest kev such

Exactly Helen. As i have put "Rare" in my comment also i meant Rarely heard and not "Rare" as in hard to get hold of.

Sorry not managed to post up until now. Got in at about 7am yesterday then had to get back for mid day opening at Stewartby to remove the sound system. We've only got small cars so that made sure we were busy all day.

Paul & myself would like to say a big thankyou to you all for Sat. night. I know that some of you came down from right up north & from down south, really hope it was worth the journey.

All the dj's on the night played absolute blinders, from the moment that Steve set the needle down on his first record I had a feeling we were going to hear some good music, you guys were spot on.

Michelle & Sue were on the door, they said they loved talking with everyone, think they've made new friends. Dave & Sonia were behind the bar, blimey did they work ! By the way, those rolls you made were superb. I know they spent all afternoon making them especially for the night, thankyou.

Even the committee that are in charge of the club were there, they loved it. It's so nice to work with a buch of fellas that are so helpful. They've said we can now attend the next board meeting & put our date in for the next event. Talking of date, we said to the committee last week that we thought every three months would be best, don't want to over kill it. Any views on this?

Anyone that has put on a music night will know the sound system is always a worry. Is it powerful enough? Is it clear enough? Why do all those pretty little lights on the amps flicker red when mr. fortnum twiddles with the main gain thingy, etc.? The sound system we used is a new one, I've only used it a couple of times in smaller clubs so this was the first time I've had a chance to turn it up a bit. We were running at half power, so seems perfect for that size of venue. I think all the dj's thought I was keeping an eye on what they were playing, I wasn't...honest, I was looking over at the front of the amps & mixer to see what was happening, yeh right.

So, lets get that next date sorted !

Cheers,

Ady & Paul.

Guest Andy Kempster

well done Ady, heard a few reports from the night and all glowing, i was absolutely gutted i couldnt make it but you know how it is.

i will definitely be at the next one and chris, keep it up mate, lots of people singing your praises....!!!!

anyone got any pics to put up, wouldnt mind a suizz at them if you have

andy

Forgot to say. A member of staff at Stewartby found a nice pewter hip flask at the end of the night. It has an inscription on it. If you are, or know, the owner would you please make contact with me so that I can return it to you. I know it's important due to the inscription :thumbsup: Please ask around. Thanks, Ady.

Forgot to say. A member of staff at Stewartby found a nice pewter hip flask at the end of the night. It has an inscription on it. If you are, or know, the owner would you please make contact with me so that I can return it to you. I know it's important due to the inscription :thumbsup: Please ask around. Thanks, Ady.

I'm chuffed for ya mate.... :thumbup:

Guest outonthefloor

I think Ady summed Saturday night up perfectly but I just wanted to say a personal thank you myself to both him for asking me in the first place & everybody else that took part & made the night such a big success, all the D.J's, Sue & Michelle at the door, Dave & Sonia at the bar but most importantly the people who travelled far & wide to attend, you guys made the night! Thank you.

We travel a lot and when you have spent 5 hours plus driving to a do its a bit soul destroying to be met with indifference or rudeness.

The two girls on the door were lovely. I personally dont think you can under estimate the importance of a nice welcome....lets face it they are taking your money and are the 'first impression' of the event. Especialy as this was a new event it was extra important. They were really nice friendly and welcoming.

Thanks again for a top night,

Helen

xxx

Edited by outonthefloor

We travel a lot and when you have spent 5 hours plus driving to a do its a bit soul destroying to be met with indifference or rudeness.

The two girls on the door were lovely. I personally dont think you can under estimate the importance of a nice welcome....lets face it they are taking your money and are the 'first impression' of the event. Especialy as this was a new event it was extra important. They were really nice friendly and welcoming.

Thanks again for a top night,

Helen

xxx

Hi Helen,

You are so right with what you've said. It's that first greeting you get as you walk up to the door that can make or kill a night, well it does for me that's for sure.

Michelle & Sue were blown away when I told them what you've posted, promised them I'd thankyou on their behalf. They asked if you'd say hi next time.

Talking of next time, wow, have we got a special guest dj lined up :thumbsup: plus another great local fella opening the night. Really looking forward to it.

Take care

Ady

Well got my head together after the weekend. Friendly reception, great venue, not miles and miles away, the perfect mix of sounds, old, new and from all eras not just those over played sounds from the obvious venues of the past!! All in all I really can't wait for the next one.

Why was it so enjoyable, most of us embark on the Northern Soul scene to get away from hearing the same old thing every week, this was like a breath of fresh air. biggrin.gif:D:g:

=============

bout 4 miles out of Bedford. Come off at junction 13 M1 go towards bedford as signposted, bout 4/5 miles up the road

Winnie :-)

cheers Winnie wink.gif and how are you :D

when is the next one does anyone know huh.gif

Hi Bearsy,

We've got to go to the club board meeting on Dec 16th, that's when they officially agree the next date. We'd like March 7th. Will keep you posted.

Regards,

Ady.

Cheers Ady, that date looks free in my diary too thumbup.gif

Bearsy

A great night with great sounds, had to leave a bit early as Angie was a bit worse for wear lol..I was chatting to to a few peeps there and i was trying to remember when the last all-nighter was in Bedford...The only one that i could think of before Stewartby was the Night Spot !!! (shure some one will correct me lol)..but i think all the DJ`s played good spots and i will defanatly go again..

Glyn.

Guest outonthefloor

Hi Bearsy,

We've got to go to the club board meeting on Dec 16th, that's when they officially agree the next date. We'd like March 7th. Will keep you posted.

Regards,

Ady.

March woo hoo Ill defo be on me feet by then...cant wait

Bearsy you would love it...great venue n just your sort of tunes....

xx

Edited by outonthefloor
  • 2 weeks later...

Right, good news ! We went to the Stewartby Club committee meeting the other night, they were over the moon with how the night went. Infact they asked us to thank everyone, they were real pleased at how friendly everyone was. You have to remember this is a new thing for them, so they didn't know what to expect.

We've now got the place as a regular venue. So the next night is definitly 7th March. I won't post up in the Events section with a thread about it now, it's far too early, but just wanted to keep everyone informed on what's happening :D

Cheers for now,

Ady

Source Advert