Betty Lavette

Bettye LaVette - soul legend signs to Anti

Bettye LaVette, one of the supreme voices in soul music, has been signed by Anti- Records. Her first album for the label will be released in the autumn.

Ms. LaVette will be working with artist and producer Joe Henry, who was also responsible for Solomon Burke's Grammy-winning 'Don't Give Up On Me' album in 2002. Recording sessions for Bettye LaVette's album are scheduled to start next month.

This will be the latest chapter in a long musical career that started in 1962 when, at the age of 16, Bettye recorded a tune called 'My Man - He's a Lovin' Man' which was released by Atlantic Records, the first of many nationwide record labels for whom Bettye LaVette recorded during the Sixties and Seventies.

Dave Godin, the esteemed English soul music writer and archivist, claimed: "There are dozens of really top-drawer female Soul singers in what is a highly competitive field, but few can match the flawless totality of conveyed experience that Bettye LaVette never fails to achieve.

"She is the consummate artist who can relate on every level. Take Bettye LaVette away from Soul music's history and there is a gap which no other person I can think of could have filled".

Although she never achieved the level of commercial success her extraordinary talents deserved, Bettye LaVette's music has long since made an indelible impression on soul fans around the world - in the UK, for instance, she was one of the pivotal artists in the 1970's Northern Soul movement.

Among the labels for which she has recorded are Motown, Calla, Atco, Epic, Silver Fox, West End, SSS International and Street King. Her classic tunes include 'Piece of My Heart' - a recording that clearly influenced Janis Joplin's version of the song - and 'Your Turn To Cry', a mesmerizing deep soul performance released as a single by Atlantic's Atco label in 1972.

Social source share

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 1
  • Views 910
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!