Mike

passed on via contact us

Patrick Haagen submitted the following Information:

Email popcornlovers@pandora.be

URL www.popcornoldies.be

Location Belgium

Comments

Hi, we would like to present our site.

We're the representive site of the Belgian Popcorn Oldies Sound. This typical sound is very similar to the Northern Soul Sound.

Click at "Articles" to learn all about this sound

Please visit us at www.popcornoldies.be

Social source share

• Replies 17
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Wasn't that Salamone git called "popcornoldies" on ebay? whistling.gif

link

Like Northern Soul...Thats Bollocks it either is or it isn't.....Not Quite but it sounds like ain't good enough....anyway this site it is all in some foreign language....

Edited by jonbuck
Social source share

Guest NASHEE

Wasn't that Salamone git called "popcornoldies" on ebay? thumbsup.gif

link

ohhh...If he's a Belgian...Lets right him off straight away shall we????

I forgot...all belgians are scummy record theives arent they??????

After all, We British people are really nice friendly, honest and reliable.and totally trust worthy.

Patrick Hagen is one of the most decent guys I've had dealings with over in belgium. He neither buys or sells records or DJ's anymore...he just loves the music and is very proud of his website..(God forbid..It's written in Flemish, French and English Too terrible to contemplate, i'm sure)..

He's also proud of his beloved 'Popcorn ' music, just as we are proud of northern soul.

Yes....I too got a record list from Jeff Salamone (our favorite rip off artist over there)...I took one look, then emailed the list to Patrick and asked if he knew the guy in question.

Linda he said...If there was a guy in Belgium who had this much rare and expensive stuff for sale...everyone connected with Popcorn would know him.

Dont touch this whatever you do. If something seems too good to be true it usually is.

What a nice, helpful wise man...and a very good friend of mine.

Social source share

Wasn't that Salamone git called "popcornoldies" on ebay? :thumbsup:

link

ohhh...If he's a Belgian...Lets right him off straight away shall we????

I forgot...all belgians are scummy record theives arent they??????

After all, We British people are really nice friendly, honest and reliable.and totally trust worthy.

Patrick Hagen is one of the most decent guys I've had dealings with over in belgium. He neither buys or sells records or DJ's anymore...he just loves the music and is very proud of his website..(God forbid..It's written in Flemish, French and English Too terrible to contemplate, i'm sure)..

He's also proud of his beloved 'Popcorn ' music, just as we are proud of northern soul.

Yes....I too got a record list from Jeff Salamone (our favorite rip off artist over there)...I took one look, then emailed the list to Patrick and asked if he knew the guy in question.

Linda he said...If there was a guy in Belgium who had this much rare and expensive stuff for sale...everyone connected with Popcorn would know him.

Dont touch this whatever you do. If something seems too good to be true it usually is.

What a nice, helpful wise man...and a very good friend of mine.

link

You are obviously angry about something/someone Linda but I must say not too sure where the reply to "billytheboot" and other post's came from.... perhaps it's because you know the web site author....

I just read it as a query re where Salamone comes from, i.e. ringing a bell though the mention of popcorn as he used derivitives of that as well as other names although not "topic related" I know.... and re the "language posts", just another query as to what it actually was IMO, although not "brilliantly" put I must admit.... I recognised it as Flemish straight away due to an "ex of years ago" having family from a village near Ostend that I wnt to a few times, not that I can speak it of course....

Also in line with what you say.... I too have had records from different Belgium dealers with no problems.... so if you feel their is a "Belgium" thing ongoing then I would say not so.... just think that due to the "popcorn/northern" link that a "very few" from Belgium try to make a quick buck by "knowing of" some of the record titles/values on both scenes, as do sellers in the USA and elsewhere these days....

As for Patrick's (?) web site.... it looks like he's put some hard work into it from what I looked at thumbsup.gif ....

p.s. just saying how I see it as too many posts get mis-read and then arguements start on here far too often these days.... sorry :D ....

Social source share

Might be worthwhile checking out the photos on this website from the various functions they have been taken at.

From some of the ones I looked at they were set in fantastic ballrooms, with large dancefloors, with middle aged people dancing and celebrating a love of 50s and 60s music that DJs were playing from original 45rpm vinyl, whilst drinking, laughing and generally enjoying themselves.......sound familiar?

Some of this music does cross over into our Northern and R&B scene, but the point being that this scene has run in a similar vein to ours, with some tunes being very popular in both.

Why people have a problem with this I don't know.....it's not our music, it's not their music.....its a common love and celebration of a certain genre of music.

We should at least respect their scene for this fact, even if their music does not appeal to us.

This guy ain't a record dealer, and yes, there are some rip off Belgian dealers, as there is worldwide.......doesn't make them all bad though.

Social source share

Guest NASHEE

You are obviously angry about something/someone Linda but I must say not too sure where the reply to "billytheboot" and other post's came from.... perhaps it's because you know the web site author....

I just read it as a query re where Salamone comes from, i.e. ringing a bell though the mention of popcorn as he used derivitives of that as well as other names although not "topic related" I know.... and re the "language posts", just another query as to what it actually was IMO, although not "brilliantly" put I must admit.... I recognised it as Flemish straight away due to an "ex of years ago" having family from a village near Ostend that I wnt to a few times, not that I can speak it of course....

Also in line with what you say.... I too have had records from different Belgium dealers with no problems.... so if you feel their is a "Belgium" thing ongoing then I would say not so.... just think that due to the "popcorn/northern" link that a "very few" from Belgium try to make a quick buck by "knowing of" some of the record titles/values on both scenes, as do sellers in the USA and elsewhere these days....

As for Patrick's (?) web site.... it looks like he's put some hard work into it from what I looked at :thumbsup: ....

p.s. just saying how I see it as too many posts get mis-read and then arguements start on here far too often these days.... sorry blush.gif ....

link

Hi mark.

I dont really get very angry very often, but last night I ran out of ciggies...and look what happened !!! :)

I know that everyone is entitled to their opinion, and that is a good thing.

I wouldnt have it anyother way.

I am at the moment in the middle of being ripped off by a u.s dealer...It hurts to be ripped off no matter what the ammount, but I wouldn't want to start convincing myself that all americans that use this site have an ulterior motive. infact quite the oposite. maybe Patrick (my friend the site author POPCORNOLDIES) could help in flushing out this (Salamone)scumbag. An article on his website perhaps.

About Labeling records..for sales purposes

during the early days of Popcorn, there was a massive difference between Northern & Popcorn...Northern dancers preferred those great storming uptempo dance tunes...the Belgians on the otherhand were smooching and slow jiving to their mid tempo stuff. It was many years later that boundaries started to become clouded...Mid tempo became acceptable on our scene & over there faster stuff started creeping in.

I have lots of records in my collection that are well **both**

I got my first copy of Marv Johnson Come on and Stop from a Belgian guy in 1986

It seems to have successfully crossed over, The same goes for charles Sheffield.

Damien Hewitt had Voodoo Working from Belgium in the late 70's it cost him £15

so are these tunes Northern or Popcorn..???.

If i was selling either one of them I would state the compatability with both scenes.

I'm not angry with anyone. I just wanted to have my say

I hope I havent caused offence or upset.

Edited by NASHEE
Social source share

Guest NASHEE

Like Northern Soul...Thats Bollocks it either is or it isn't.....Not Quite but it sounds like ain't good enough....anyway this site it is all in some foreign language....

link

What is Northern soul?

Social source share

Hi mark.

I dont really get very angry very often, but last night I ran out of ciggies...and look what happened !!! blush.gif

I know that everyone is entitled to their opinion, and that is a good thing.

I wouldnt have it anyother way.

I am at the moment in the middle of being ripped off by a u.s dealer...It hurts to be ripped off no matter what the ammount, but I wouldn't want to start convincing myself that all americans that use this site have an ulterior motive. infact quite the oposite. maybe Patrick (my friend the site author POPCORNOLDIES) could help in flushing out this (Salamone)scumbag. An article on his website perhaps.

About Labeling records..for sales purposes

during the early days of Popcorn, there was a massive difference between Northern & Popcorn...Northern dancers preferred those great storming uptempo dance tunes...the Belgians on the otherhand were smooching and slow jiving to their mid tempo stuff. It was many years later that boundaries started to become clouded...Mid tempo became acceptable on our scene & over there faster stuff started creeping in.

It seems to have successfully crossed over, The same goes for charles Sheffield.

If i was selling either one of them I would state the compatability with both scenes.

I'm not angry with anyone. I just wanted to have my say

I hope I havent caused offence or upset.

link

Thanks for that Linda as from what I understand of the "two" scenes then you are quite correct.... tons of records now crossing over to each one.... basically the "same" scene now I would suspect.... and I sure you haven't offended or upset anyone, well not me anyway.... I was just putting a differing slant on how I read the replies to how you did....

Understandable I suppose in light of your "dealings" with a seller.... hope you get it sorted :thumbsup: ....

Social source share

Guest NASHEE

Thanks for that Linda as from what I understand of the "two" scenes then you are quite correct.... tons of records now crossing over to each one.... basically the "same" scene now I would suspect.... and I sure you haven't offended or upset anyone, well not me anyway.... I was just putting a differing slant on how I read the replies to how you did....

Understandable I suppose in light of your "dealings" with a seller.... hope you get it sorted :thumbsup: ....

link

thanks Mark,

I have fags now too...so I'm super chilled blush.gif

Social source share

Guest Andy BB

link

Neither, they're Mod records.

Simple this innit?

Social source share

Guest NASHEE

Is there a site that's knowledgeable about the records, this seems mainly social and a radio show. I'm a fax 'n' info man (and the loose skin on girls' elbows when their arms are straight).

link

Hi Ady

Try Salvatore Alongi At www.totorecords.com

or Michael Scapone https://go.to/raresoulmusic

or Guy Tahir https://users.telenet.be/popcornsouloldies

all these guys are very approachable, just email em and ask em what you want to know

Ps...the girlie arm skin thng is a little pervy if you dont mind me saying :)

best

linda

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert