Casablanca Club, Grimsby, Dance, Dance, Dance

coops

Casablanca Club, Grimsby:

Promoted by the Cleethorpes Soul Collective this most excellent of venues was not full to the rafters with people escaping the boredom of Saturday night T.V. but the crowd was a very, very healthy number far in excess of those the last time I visited and far more than some other venues feeling the pinch of the world financial crisis.

Right from the warm welcome by the team at the entrance to the first floor setting for a night of salubrious soul until the very end as they wish you well upon your way the evening was extremely pleasant.

The music provided by the residents 'Smucker' and Pete Stone was as eclectic in it's mix as it was high in it's quality.

Tunes from the wheel to 'modern' and all genre between.

First of the three guests Doug Hall from Newark took over next and the floor didn't get a moments rest up 'til the 'final whistle' at 2:00 a.m.

Doug, as always played tunes to suit the floor, old, new, once again mixing and matching.

Next up was Soul Sam, once again mixing favourites like Urban Blues Project with standards of the Joe Cook ilk, 90 minutes of Soul Sams' tunes were still not enough for the floor filling eager crowd.

Sean Chapman dived in at the deep and coaxing more and more out of the plethora of dancers with his own inimitable style of both tunes and presentation and with Doug returning to finish off the paying public finally had time to rest their weary feet at 2:00 just as they had to face the frosty, foggy journeys home.

A long night, a great night and the 'across-the-board, across-the-decades' music policy of this event once again, like succulent fresh cream rose to the top.

Next event in February, watch press and flyers for details because if it's half as good as this night it'll be one you won't really want to be missing.

• Replies 7
  • Views 799
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

And must Mention my able and full bodied co DJ Michael"COOPS "Cooper

who accompanied me on both spots and was an absolute corker of a partner Playing Cleethorpes favs mixed in with classics and one or two nice toons as mr Barnfather would say

and with Sean Chapman professing to know Smucker for 39 years well who can say more.

A great night, great atmospheric venue,Healthy base for the Collective, gotta keep going as this is a wonderful venue

I will be back in the New year for more.

Edited by Makemvinyl

You mentioned promoting mick in your review,think this venue suffers from lack of promotion,good venue even though it is a route march for a smoke,floor was full all night but would have liked the jocks to have been a bit more adventureous,imho

You mentioned promoting mick in your review,think this venue suffers from lack of promotion,good venue even though it is a route march for a smoke,floor was full all night but would have liked the jocks to have been a bit more adventureous,imho

like you Mr. Portly Prancer I like to hear 'something new' and love to play different tunes (and i hope what i do play, in my 'regular set' although may be known, at the same time may differ from other dee-jays on any given night) but as a person being booked to play the type of music that the paying public likes to hear then that's what gets played. as you say, the floor was busy all night so, other than me, you and a couple of others the rest in attendance seemed to have got what they wanted and, alas, majority does and should win out.

The Attic in Mansfield, underplayed room at Bentick, Upfront at the Seafront etc. are places promoted for those who wish to hear 'something new'.

Source Advert