On The Soul Side - Bournemouth Uni Sat Dec 6th

Well what can we say about saturday night.What a great turn out for the 1st Anniversary.It was a freezing cold night and after sorting out the door problem,it was locked so if you went out for a smoke you wouldn't have been able to get back in.

Music wise it was faultless.Great sets from all the dj's.Moldie opened proceedings playing some great 60's and 70's.After I'd done a 30 min spot on came Ian Spittle who played some super tunes to be followed by the south west's very own Pete Lyster who played some fantastic tunes.

Ian played a cracking 2nd spot mixing it very well.Pete then came on and played some fabulously rare but well known tracks in his 2nd spot.

It was left to myself and Moldie to finish off.All in all a fantastic night of soul music.

We'd like to say a big thank you to all that travelled from Plymouth,Chard (Jeff & Carys) plus the Southampton crowd,Blandford and last but by no means least the locals.

We hope you enjoy the cd and hope to see you all in the New Year.

Playlists to follow.

Next one is Feb 14th with Dave Abbott,Matt and Danny North guesting.

Dave and Viv

• Replies 11
  • Views 957
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Dave Mortimore

. Thanks Dave & Viv, for putting on a truely entertaining night. The anniversary fully lived up to expectations. A friendly atmosphere was generated by the good turn out and the blend of music was condusive to make a memorable night of soul.

. Jan couldn't make it, so I wasn't sure how comfortable I would be without my soulmate at my side. Yet I felt so relaxed, with the aimable people around me being so light hearted, easy going and interesting to chat with.

.. The music had something for everyone. The not so suave Moldie delivered solid across the board music. Gary and The Swanage contingent raved about the 70's sounds played by Ian Spittle. I sometimes danced and always listened with intrigue to Pete Lyster's music, which I was reliably informed as being worth a king's ransom. After sampling what can only be a snippet of Pete's collection, I now know why some folk from this neck of the woods are prepared to take the winding westerly roads, up and down dale through Dorset and Somerset, to get to Bridgewater Soul nights. As much as I hate driving, I must get over to this event some time. Our host D.J. Dave Morris, probably with the motives of keeping things interesting, tended to resist playing many of the safer well received tunes he has used in recents events and turned over some lesser played numbers from his box. Which were equally well received and much appreciated.

... My tastes tend to be in the dinosaur class and therefore I got off to the likes of :-

. Darrell Banks - Angel Baby

. Edwin Starr - Back Street

. Al Wilson - Help Me

. Little Carl Carlton - Competition ain't nothing

. Delites - Lover

. Little Richard - A little bit of something

. Velvettes - Gotta find me somebody

. Vonettes - Touch my heart

. Wade Flemons - Jeanette

. There were so many others, i.e. Bobby Sheen - Something new to do, The Dells - Make Sure, Isonics - Sugar, etc. . . Needless to say it was a great soul night.

. . Finally, thank you again Dave, for saving back a C.D. for me. I very much appreciate the gift and it will always remind me of the memorable occasion.

Edited by Dave Mortimore

Just wanted to add our thoughts ; we were v. impressed with your location Dave and were made to feel very welcome.

We enjoyed all the d-j's slots .It was good to see you and Viv again and Ian too . And to meet Moldie , and a bunch of old friends.

[ In Jeff's case , very old indeed . ]

Nice to see Dave Mortimore again too - if you get down to Soul Nights @ Bridgwater Dave we'll make you welcome - and play some more of your requests too !

Great crowd - prepared to dance to anything. I was impressed when I dug out Gil Scott Heron Lady Day and John Coltraine [ UK Phillips ]. I've had it for years and have always loved it but never even taken it out anywhere before. I'd seen it namechecked on Soul Source so I thought I better had and it got a very warm reaction .

Thanks again.

pete + cathy

Here's what I played.May not be in correct order but will have a go.

8.40 - 9.10

Ernie & Ed - Indication - Jayboy

Ethics - Look At Me Now - Vent

Chalfontes - Confessing My Love To You - Mercury

Companions - Be Yourself - General American

Fred Hughes - Don't Let Me Down - Vee Jay

Imperial Wonders - You Live Only Once - Solid Foundation

Superlatives - Lonely In A Crowd - Westbound

Willie & The Handjives - Gotta Find A New Love - Veep

Fuller Brothers - Moaning,Groaning,Crying - Keymen.

10.40 - 11.10

Edward Hamilton - I'm Gonna Love You - Mary Jane

Darrell Banks - Angel Baby - Atlantic UK (red)

Little Carl Carlton - Competition Ain't Nothing - Backbeat

Tee Fletcher - Happy Loving You - Shurfine

Little Richard - A Little Bit Of Something - Columbia UK

Showmen - Our Love Will Grow - Action UK

Five Stairsteps - Change Of Pace - Windy C

Tony Talent - Gotta Tell Somebody - Vando

Miracles - Whole Lot Of Shaking - Tamla demo

Supremes - Love Is Like An Itching - Motown

Edwin Starr - Back Street - Ric -Tic

1.00 - 2.00 with Moldie

Gene Chandler - Mr Big Shot - Constellation

Eloise Laws - Love Factory - Music Merchant demo

Tony Middleton - To The Ends Of The Earth - MGM

Peggy Paxton - It Ain't What I Do - Paula

Bob Relf - Blowing My Mind To Pieces - Trans American

Ila Van - Can't Help Loving That Mine Of Mine - Roulette

Vonettes - Touch My Heart - Cobblestone

Al Wilson - Help Me - Wand

Dells - Make Sure - Chess

May have missed a couple off but didn't really keep a list of what I played.

Dave

A massive thanks to you, Dave, for putting on and hosting such a great night. Free entry as well and a wonderful CD too - what a gent! Music on the night was really superb, so thanks also for your selections and thanks to the other DJs too.

One you missed off your playlist which really stuck out for me on the night was the Susan Maughan version to Wade Flemons "...Other Place" - great stuff.

Other stand-outs for me were Lester Tipton, The Poets "Wrapped Around Your Finger" and the aforementioned Gil "Lady Day..." from Pete (Pete, it was me asked you on the night about these tracks if yer reading this - great set). Also Betty Moerer "Speed Up" and Archie Bell "Where will you go" from Ian, and Collins & Collins from Moldie (top, top "modern oldie" - love it!) really stuck out for me.

Dave, more power to your elbow mate - happy 1st anniversary and many happy returns for On The Soul Side.

Sean

Guest The Driffter

A massive thanks to you, Dave, for putting on and hosting such a great night. Free entry as well and a wonderful CD too - what a gent! Music on the night was really superb, so thanks also for your selections and thanks to the other DJs too.

One you missed off your playlist which really stuck out for me on the night was the Susan Maughan version to Wade Flemons "...Other Place" - great stuff.

Other stand-outs for me were Lester Tipton, The Poets "Wrapped Around Your Finger" and the aforementioned Gil "Lady Day..." from Pete (Pete, it was me asked you on the night about these tracks if yer reading this - great set). Also Betty Moerer "Speed Up" and Archie Bell "Where will you go" from Ian, and Collins & Collins from Moldie (top, top "modern oldie" - love it!) really stuck out for me.

Dave, more power to your elbow mate - happy 1st anniversary and many happy returns for On The Soul Side.

Sean

Guest The Driffter

Well what can we say about saturday night.What a great turn out for the 1st Anniversary.It was a freezing cold night and after sorting out the door problem,it was locked so if you went out for a smoke you wouldn't have been able to get back in.

Music wise it was faultless.Great sets from all the dj's.Moldie opened proceedings playing some great 60's and 70's.After I'd done a 30 min spot on came Ian Spittle who played some super tunes to be followed by the south west's very own Pete Lyster who played some fantastic tunes.

Ian played a cracking 2nd spot mixing it very well.Pete then came on and played some fabulously rare but well known tracks in his 2nd spot.

It was left to myself and Moldie to finish off.All in all a fantastic night of soul music.

We'd like to say a big thank you to all that travelled from Plymouth,Chard (Jeff & Carys) plus the Southampton crowd,Blandford and last but by no means least the locals.

Playlists to follow.

Dave and Viv

Guest The Driffter

Great night well worth attending for anyone who hasnt been and so easy to find being just out of the town.

We look forward to february and seeing everyone again . thenks Dave and Viv and the djs From Jeff and Carys [somerset]

Great night well worth attending for anyone who hasnt been and so easy to find being just out of the town.

We look forward to february and seeing everyone again . thenks Dave and Viv and the djs From Jeff and Carys [somerset]

Thanks for the kind words.Good to see you again.Will see you in Feb. :unsure::)

Dave & Viv.

Sean

Sean,

Glad you enjoyed it mate.Every time we looked at the dancefloor you were on there.

See you soon,

Dave & Viv.

Playlists to follow.

Dave and Viv

TOP NITE- GREAT SOUNDS WELL WORTH TRAVELLING FOR- KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK- FROM MATT (TROWBRIDGE, WILTS)

• 4 weeks later...