• Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Could any kind Soul tell me how much it went for

Thank you very much in advance

Dazz

link

save yourself a few bob mate , get the album.

post-1837-1114688265_thumb.jpg

Edited by lenny.h
Social source share

Or wait till the next one is on ebay or up on here for sale  whistling.gif

link

The one sold this week was the same copy that changed hands around 3 months ago. Its not another West Coast find.

Social source share

The one sold this week was the same copy that changed hands around 3 months ago. Its not another West Coast find.

link

Thanks for the replies guys

small admission, I've already got one - 5th known copy (now) I think

Just wondering

Thanks

Dazz

Social source share

With regard to the current JM auction, I've got a question about the Glenda McLeod 45: it states that there are maybe three original copies in existence. It was played in the mid 80s by Dave Thorley, Ian Clark and Stuart Cosgrove, who originally found it on an Echoes-sponsored trip to the Carolinas. At least one of those copies was a 12" on (I think) a light blue version of the HGEI label. Who had the other copies of the red 7" issue? Also, who was behind the issue of the common (bootleg?) copies of the record on opaque vinyl?

Edited by garethx
Social source share

Guest uroffal

I sold my copy of the album for £85 a couple of years ago .Found it for around 10cents in a bookshop in Vancouver in 1980 .Best ,Eddie .

link

Thanks Eddie :)

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Out of interest, anyone know what the going rate is for the album?

link

Had it off ebay last year for about $60 I think. Doesn't seem to turn up very often though.

Social source share

Out of interest, anyone know what the going rate is for the album?

link

I bought one from Nigel Parker in the late 80's for £125 think that was Clarkies traded it to some one called Species from Norfolk a couple of years later from Geoge Hobson and something else cant rember what

:)

Social source share

I bought one from Nigel Parker in the late 80's for £125 think that was Clarkies traded it to some one called Species from Norfolk a couple of years later from Geoge Hobson and something else cant rember what

:)

link

Made a balls up of that reply it should be under Glenda Mcleod

Social source share

I have the Losing Control 45 think mine was the second copy after Tim Browns

I also have another 45 on Pace called Ask any Girl / Do the Jerk

Ask a G is the Jobette Holland. D. H. song same as D Ross , Do the Jerk is a brill dancer same backin as M. Lance Monkey Time...

Ian C

Social source share

Guest uroffal

Had it off ebay last year for about $60 I think.  Doesn't seem to turn up very often though.

link

Cheers for that, you're right it doesn't show too often.

Social source share

I have the Losing Control 45 think mine was the second copy after Tim Browns

I also have another 45 on Pace called Ask any Girl / Do the Jerk

Ask a G is the Jobette Holland. D. H. song same as D Ross , Do the Jerk is a brill dancer same backin as M. Lance Monkey Time...

Ian C

link

Do the jerk is a million times better than losing controll in my opinion, probably just as rare too...

Think there are more than 5 copies of LC:

Ian C

Tim B

Paul Morrall

Dazz

the copy Manship sold twice

1 on ebay

another on ebay

and I think Hippo

...that's 8 of top of me head, anyone know of any more? :D Can only think of 2 copies off hand of Jerk - Ian's and one that I bid on (and lost - tightwad :thumbsup: ) on ebay.

LC is a very mediocre record methinks, wouldn't get anywhere near the turntable recognition it's recieves if it was only worth £20 :lol:

Do the jerk on the other hand is brill :D

Billy Jr. :D

Edited by billytheboot
Social source share

By the way did anyone catch what the Videls made? We were gonna bid but fergot all about it.....

link

and that just about sums it up

'a pair of brown eyes looking for me'

Social source share

Am I the only one who can't help thinking of Benny Hill when I hear this record (Mary Saxton)? :shades::thumbsup: I also wonder why Tim Brown wrote in his mag that he thought she was black?

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Am I the only one who can't help thinking of Benny Hill when I hear this record (Mary Saxton)? :shades:   :thumbsup:   I also wonder why Tim Brown wrote in his mag that he thought she was black?

link

maybe the lp sleeve notes? thats impression I got off them

as in they compare her to major soul stars but without the usual "white girl singing" soul bit that is usally added when thats the case

Social source share

Am I the only one who can't help thinking of Benny Hill when I hear this record (Mary Saxton)? :thumbsup:   :shades:   I also wonder why Tim Brown wrote in his mag that he thought she was black?

link

Der der der der der de de de de der der de de de da der der der der der der der da

NO!!!! :yes:

Social source share

a stale pork pie cought him in the eye and Ernie bit the dust

link

You could hear his knackers pound

as he raced across the ground

and the clatter of his tool

as it spun round and round

and he galloped into Market street

he wore no pants or vest

his name was ernie

and he had the biggest Chopper

in the west

:thumbsup:

2nd verse of Mary saxton

Social source share

Am I the only one who can't help thinking of Benny Hill when I hear this record (Mary Saxton)? :yes:   :shades:   I also wonder why Tim Brown wrote in his mag that he thought she was black?

link

=========================================

??? She is black :thumbsup:

Social source share

=========================================

??? She is black  :thumbsup:

link

I can't find it now but I saw a compilation album from the 70's with her and it had a picture of a white woman on it. Mentioned her as being long time artist of soul, jazz, rock, etc. in Canada. Do you know for sure that she is black? Have you met her or seen a picture? The drawing shown on the album here doesn't seem to be depicting a black person, or does it? I think the record in question is crap, and so is "Take My Heart", regardless of her colour, but still curious.

Social source share

I found a web site with some pictures from 70's Canada, and one picture shows some people on a stage, one of them is named Mary Saxton, and she is white. Maybe there was another artist by the name Mary Saxton in Canada though.

Social source share

Guest 45s and 33s

There's definitely a copy of Mary Saxton - Do The Jerk - up here in sunny Scotland.

Ali

Social source share

I can't find it now but I saw a compilation album from the 70's with her and it had a picture of a white woman on it. Mentioned her as being long time artist of soul, jazz, rock, etc. in Canada. Do you know for sure that she is black? Have you met her or seen a picture? The drawing shown on the album here doesn't seem to be depicting a black person, or does it? I think the record in question is crap, and so is "Take My Heart", regardless of her colour, but still curious.

link

====================================================

Christian I bet if you had it Losin Control and had been playin it out to

packed dancefloors it would be a brilliant uptempo 60,s dancer and with regards to

Take my Heart 1000,s of soulies over the years who have danced to it and requested it, cant be daft wanting to dance to crap... T.M H was that popular

it got booted due to demand from Soulies wanting to play it at home ect

Different Strokes for Different Folks both are great 60,s dancers get yer ears washed out they are full of snow and ice from that freezzin country of yours

:wicked:

Social source share

odds

its up in sounds

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/index.p...md=si&img=3449&

there's a version by fasionettes on a ace cd that got a mention last time this was discussed that seems like worth a listen

as one of her tracks also features on cd , some connection there, sleeve notes say ought maybe?

There's a much better original version from Gary Paxton's tape vaults on "Boy Trouble" by the Fashionettes Ace CD CDCHD 1005. They're a black girl group and it's a finished version.

Cheers

Ady

seen lp recently @ 150/200

yep seen that pic, going by all other stuff read/seen reckon good chance it is her

Social source share

====================================================

Christian I bet if you had it Losin Control and had been playin it out to

packed dancefloors it would be a brilliant uptempo 60,s dancer and with regards to

Take my Heart 1000,s of soulies over the years who have danced to it and requested it, cant be daft wanting to dance to crap... T.M H was that popular

it got booted due to demand from Soulies wanting to play it at home ect

Different Strokes for Different Folks both are great 60,s dancers get yer ears washed out they are full of snow and ice from that freezzin country of yours

:D

link

If I had "Losin Control" I would sell or trade it asap. It is up-tempo and it is 60's and it is a pretty good dancer if you only consider the beat, I don't think it is particularly brilliant though, makes me think of the obligatory chase towards the end of every Benny Hill show. The argument for the other tune is not what I expected from you Ian. Joey Delorenzo was (is?) massively popular and got booted. The same can be said of some of the worst records ever, they were very popular at some point and many still are, does that make them good or somehow prove their quality? It only proves that they have potential mass appeal, which is not necessarily the same thing as having true quality (as in quality given and defined by god and understood only by a select few! :thumbsup: ). Another debate on taste that leads nowhere I guess. Would you put "Losin Control" in your top 50?

Social source share

What have you got up your arse this time Len? Cairos?? :unsure:

link

na billy , les chansonettes its got a bit starting hiss im trying to get rid of. as you can see its clenched real tight , so i didnt drop it.

if your looking for anything cleaned send it up.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert