Belvedere Hotel, Bournemouth

Charmain

As the INCROWD SOUL SOCIETY, BOURNEMOUTH goes into its 17th year.

We are pleased to announce the OPENING of our NEW BOURNEMOUTH venue,

now changed from Club 2XS to the PARIS SUITE, BELVEDERE HOTEL.

SATURDAY 3 JANUARY 2009

NORTHERN SOUL

PARIS SUITE

BELVEDERE HOTEL

BATH ROAD, BOURNEMOUTH BH1 2EU, 01202 293336, PARKING, ACCOMMODATION

(SPECIAL RATES) WWW.BELVEDERE-HOTEL.CO.UK, CLOSE TO BEACHES AND SHOPS

8.00 - LATE, £5.00 OTD

RESIDENT DJ STEVE LYONS

GUESTS MAXINE WOON, WIGAN BRIAN, IAN SPITTLE

07780 862774

2009 DATES: 7 FEBRUARY, 4 APRIL, 2 MAY, 6 JUNE, 1 AUGUST, 5 SEPTEMBER, 7 NOVEMBER, DECEMBER (TBC)

Edited by CHARMAIN
  • Replies 9
  • Views 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Dave Mortimore

SATURDAY 7 FEBRUARY 2009, GUEST DJ'S:

KEITH BARNES, ANDY MANN, SEAN O'CONNOR, MARK SWIFT

. Not the infamous Sean O'Connor. Well I'd better warm up my toncils for this one and be ready to give him plenty of heckling when he's behind the decks. Seriously though, I'm looking forward to running in to him, which will probably be on Saturday at Bournemouth Railway Club, just to find out what he has in mind for the evening?

. We're looking forward to the opening night on Jan 3rd, . . Dave & Jan Mortimore

Guest Dave Mortimore

SATURDAY 3 JANUARY 2009

NORTHERN SOUL AT THE PARIS SUITE, BELVEDERE HOTEL

8.00 - LATE, £5.00 OTD

RESIDENT DJ STEVE LYONS

07780 862774

2009 DATES: 7 FEBRUARY, 4 APRIL, 2 MAY, 6 JUNE, 1 AUGUST, 5 SEPTEMBER, 7 NOVEMBER, DECEMBER (TBC)

. Apart from the occasional Bournemouth Pier event, where Steve is a resident D.J. - The opening of The Paris Suite at The Belvedere Hotel is a welcomed return to Steve Lyons being at the helm in Bournemouth, after a 2 year absence since Cagneys closed in December 2006.

. Steve (originally from the Burnley area) has been keeping the torch burning for the local soul community for the past 17 years. Charmain, his wife, has a long association with Northern Soul from the M25 corridor around Lightwater and has been a familiar face associated with The Bisley Soul Nights.

. From what I've experienced of the D.J.s for the opening night. Maxime Woon, who judging by her accent originates not a million miles from Manchester, plays a range of modern and crossover music. Wigan Brian (Brian Clarke) has a wide range of tastes and will play to entertain. If something isn't working, he'll swiftly revert to something that does. Hence, he's very popular. Particularly with yours truly as he has played the odd classic oldie to my tastes (and to keep me quiet) when requested. Ian Spittle played mainly 70's music at Bournemouth University in December and drew many superlative comments from a very appreciative crowd. Our host Steve Lyons doesn't need any introductions. But I must say that his one hour set at the last Opera House event was the highlight of the night.

................ So, Welcome Back! From .. Dave & Jan

Edited by Dave Mortimore

. Not the infamous Sean O'Connor. Well I'd better warm up my toncils for this one and be ready to give him plenty of heckling when he's behind the decks. Seriously though, I'm looking forward to running in to him, which will probably be on Saturday at Bournemouth Railway Club, just to find out what he has in mind for the evening?

. We're looking forward to the opening night on Jan 3rd, . . Dave & Jan Mortimore

Haha! I'll heckle you back Dave, and I'll have a microphone!

Hope you had lovely Xmas and had good night at the Railway Club. We moved house the day before that and then were both struck down ill, so I was sadly unable to make it to that event. Still surrounded by boxes in the house too - speaking of which, here is a taste of what I shall be playing at The Belvedere in Feb:

60s sounds such as Sugar Pie De Santo, Ruby Winters, the Olympics, Moses Smith "try my love" on Dionn, Vernon Greene, the Ethics, Soul Stirrers, the Clovers "try my loving on you" and Maurice & Radiants "baby you've got it" which I know you enjoyed when Dave Morris played it at the Uni recently.

Some crossover stuff like Calvin Arnold and Lee Mitchell through to more 70s sounds such as Crystal Motion, Vicky Anderson (as "Momie-O"), Philly Devotions, Lawrence Payton, Tower of Power, General Johnson including some great album cuts from Johnny Taylor, Hearts of Stone and others.

Plus, hope to be able at some point to play Richie Havens version to Spyder Turner "cant make it anymore" - much less of a dancer than Mr Turner's, but oh so soulful - maybe can give this a spin while folk are coming in and getting drinks, meeting up etc, before the floor is expected to be busy.

All in all, you're going to enjoy an across the board soulful selection from me on 7th Feb at the Belvedere.

Look forward to seeing you on 3rd Jan for Steve's opening night!

Sean

Guest Dave Mortimore

Haha! I'll heckle you back Dave, and I'll have a microphone!

Hope you had lovely Xmas and had good night at the Railway Club. We moved house the day before that and then were both struck down ill, so I was sadly unable to make it to that event. Still surrounded by boxes in the house too - speaking of which, here is a taste of what I shall be playing at The Belvedere in Feb:

60s sounds such as Sugar Pie De Santo, Ruby Winters, the Olympics, Moses Smith "try my love" on Dionn, Vernon Greene, the Ethics, Soul Stirrers, the Clovers "try my loving on you" and Maurice & Radiants "baby you've got it" which I know you enjoyed when Dave Morris played it at the Uni recently.

Some crossover stuff like Calvin Arnold and Lee Mitchell through to more 70s sounds such as Crystal Motion, Vicky Anderson (as "Momie-O"), Philly Devotions, Lawrence Payton, Tower of Power, General Johnson including some great album cuts from Johnny Taylor, Hearts of Stone and others.

Plus, hope to be able at some point to play Richie Havens version to Spyder Turner "cant make it anymore" - much less of a dancer than Mr Turner's, but oh so soulful - maybe can give this a spin while folk are coming in and getting drinks, meeting up etc, before the floor is expected to be busy.

All in all, you're going to enjoy an across the board soulful selection from me on 7th Feb at the Belvedere.

Look forward to seeing you on 3rd Jan for Steve's opening night!

Sean

. Hi Shaun, We're pleased to hear that you've recovered. We're going through the recovery period right now, as it wacked the kids before Xmas and caught up with us on Boxing Day. We look forward to seeing you on January 3rd.

. . . . Dave & Jan

Countdown to the first 2009 Saturday of the year, 3 JANUARY

17th Year, Incrowd Soul Society, Bournemouth

NORTHERN SOUL

PARIS SUITE, BELVEDERE HOTEL, BATH ROAD, BH1 3EU, 01202 293336, PARKING, ACCOMMODATION AVAILABLE (SPECIAL RATES), CLOSE TO BEACH, PIER, SHOPS. https://WWW.BELVEDERE-HOTEL.CO.UK

Resident DJ Steve Lyons, Guests Maxine Woon, Ian Spittle, Wigan Brian

£5.00, 8.00-1.00

Guest seanoc

NORTHERN SOUL

PARIS SUITE, BELVEDERE HOTEL, BATH ROAD, BH1 3EU, 01202 293336, PARKING, ACCOMMODATION AVAILABLE (SPECIAL RATES), CLOSE TO BEACH, PIER, SHOPS. https://WWW.BELVEDERE-HOTEL.CO.UK

£5.00, 8.00-1.00

Really looking forward to this Saturday.

Ian if you're reading this please bring (and play!) your Betty Moorer "Speed Up" - fabulous record thumbup.gif

Guest Dave Mortimore

NORTHERN SOUL

£5.00, 8.00-1.00

. Charmain, I just thought I'd better warn you about impending danger on Saturday night. I've just received a phone call from 'The Beast' that lurks within Ashurst Forest. He goes under the name of Rob Hallam and is instantly recognizable by his gleeming white teeth (he has expensive dental bills) and a smile similar to that of a crocodile's, just prior to it devouring you.

. He's even booked into The Belvedere for the night..!

. So, be afraid...! Be Very Afraid....!

. You have been warned ....! . . Dave

Edited by Dave Mortimore
Guest FREEBIRD

As the INCROWD SOUL SOCIETY, BOURNEMOUTH goes into its 17th year.

We are pleased to announce the OPENING of our NEW BOURNEMOUTH venue,

now changed from Club 2XS to the PARIS SUITE, BELVEDERE HOTEL.

SATURDAY 3 JANUARY 2009

NORTHERN SOUL

PARIS SUITE

BELVEDERE HOTEL

8.00 - LATE, £5.00 OTD

RESIDENT DJ STEVE LYONS

07780 862774

GOOD LUCK WITH TONIGHT, WE WILL BE THERE..