More help wanted, need bootleg/reissue label info

During the eighties (scooter runs) and in one case more recently, I bought some records on the Sound of Soul (SOS) label. Anyway since then I've wondered how many releases there were on the label, I think there were 10 (not too sure tho').

Anyway the ones I have are as follows:

SOS 001 Beverly Ann - He's Comin' Home b/w Dynatones - Fife Piper

SOS 002 The Vibrations - Cause Your Mine b/w Count Five - Psychotic Reaction

SOS 003 Major Lance - You Don't Want Me No More b/w Matt Parsons Orchestra - Boogaloo Investigator

SOS 004 Bobby Paris - I Walked Away b/w Carnaby - Jump And Dance

SOS 005 The Majestics - I Love Her So Much (it hurts me) b/w Bobby Paris - Night Owl

SOS 006 Dee Dee Sharp - What Kind Of Lady b/w Derek + Ray - Interplay

SOS 007 Delcos - Arabia b/w Present - Many's The Slip

SOS 008 Greg Perry - It Takes Heart b/w Alfie Davison - Love Is A Serious Business

SOS 009 ????????????

SOS 010 Mr Charles - I Don't Need No Doctor b/w N.F. Porter - Keep On Keeping On

Does anybody know what was on SOS 009 (if indeed there was a SOS 009)? I have been told by people that it was either, The Chandlers or Lew Kirton, but nothing for certain. This is just one of those things that has bugged me for some years! Also if anybody has a copy, would they sell it?

Can anybody help me, please?

Social source share

• Replies 30
  • Views 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

During the eighties (scooter runs) and in one case more recently, I bought some records on the Sound of Soul (SOS) label.  Anyway since then I've wondered how many releases there were on the label, I think there were 10 (not too sure tho').

Anyway the ones I have are as follows:

SOS 001    Beverly Ann - He's Comin' Home    b/w    Dynatones - Fife Piper

SOS 002    The Vibrations - Cause Your Mine    b/w    Count Five - Psychotic Reaction

SOS 003    Major Lance - You Don't Want Me No More    b/w    Matt Parsons Orchestra - Boogaloo Investigator

SOS 004    Bobby Paris - I Walked Away    b/w    Carnaby - Jump And Dance

SOS 005    The Majestics - I Love Her So Much (it hurts me)    b/w    Bobby Paris - Night Owl

SOS 006    Dee Dee Sharp - What Kind Of Lady    b/w    Derek + Ray - Interplay

SOS 007    Delcos - Arabia    b/w    Present - Many's The Slip

SOS 008    Greg Perry - It Takes Heart    b/w    Alfie Davison - Love Is A Serious Business

SOS 009    ????????????

SOS 010    Mr Charles - I Don't Need No Doctor    b/w    N.F. Porter - Keep On Keeping On

Does anybody know what was on SOS 009 (if indeed there was a SOS 009)?  I have been told by people that it was either, The Chandlers or Lew Kirton, but nothing for certain.  This is just one of those things that has bugged me for some years!  Also if anybody has a copy, would they sell it?

Can anybody help me, please?

Now I may be wrong, but I could have sworn Vickie Baines / Country Girl was booted on SOS.

Donk

Social source share

Gene, that "ARSE" pun, I've seen the flyers before, but unfortunately can't remember the promoter.

Unfortunately I still don't know what was on SOS 009!

Please, please somebody tell me.

Social source share

Hi Supercorsa,

Sorry, the ARSE pun was not meant to imply that the promoter had anything to do with the SOS boots; just my flippant play on words!!!

But I do remember the leaflets. The RSE in ARSE stood for something like "Rare Soul Experience" or something like that, and I remember being quite amused by it at the time!

Gene

Social source share

Guest 71TRSC

'A.R.S.E.' used to be an old night which stood for Aylesbury Rare Soul Experience. Then it was used, as I recall by Buey who was originally from Aylesbury and he put on a night in London when he moved there as A Rare Soul Experience. He now is connected with Valatone of course.

Social source share

Used to have a listing with them on, but can't find it now, however if my memory serves me well it was The 3 degrees ... Are you satisfied.

This one was was released on Out Of The Past (OOTP).

Social source share

Thanks for putting right there Janine, like I said "if my memory serves me right" which it didn't......... O.k so I've made a couple of phone calls on this and i am reliably informed that #009 Does not exist, for some reason the number was skipped.

Come on then some one tell me i'm wrong (lol)

Social source share

Anyone know where a up todate list of recent boot/dodgy/odd label releases anywhere

hard enough keep track whats been pushed out espically crop of "look a likes"

plus now and again see ones that seem "odd" to me

ike turner's instru (names gone) on uk thing being a recent one

then theres ones like the anniversary releases

and then legit ones like fyers records barbara lynn alt mix

Social source share

O.k so I've made a couple of phone calls on this and i am reliably informed that #009 Does not exist, for some reason the number was skipped.

Thanks for all the help.

So it seems, I've been looking for a record that doesn't exist. Doh!

This must mean, I've got the whole labels output. Not exactly up there with the collectors who have the complete collections of original Tamla, Gordy, Ric Tic, Golden World, Revilot, Etc., Etc., but I'm happy(I think? LOL).

Social source share

Anyone know where a up todate list of recent boot/dodgy/odd label releases anywhere

hard enough keep track whats been pushed out espically crop of "look a likes"

plus now and again see ones that seem "odd" to me

ike turner's instru (names gone) on uk thing being a recent one

then theres ones like the  anniversary releases

and then legit ones like fyers records barbara lynn alt mix

Hi Mike,

This is the closest I get, but it's woefully out of date now.

Reissues

Social source share

• 8 years later...

I know its been a long time since this label was mentioned, I have simple question, can anybody give me the dates these were released? I think they start around 83, and seem to have to have bought a couple brand in 88 or thereabouts but would like to know for sure..

cheers.

SOS 001 Beverly Ann - He's Comin' Home b/w Dynatones - Fife Piper

SOS 002 The Vibrations - Cause Your Mine b/w Count Five - Psychotic Reaction

SOS 003 Major Lance - You Don't Want Me No More b/w Matt Parsons Orchestra - Boogaloo Investigator

SOS 004 Bobby Paris - I Walked Away b/w Carnaby - Jump And Dance

SOS 005 The Majestics - I Love Her So Much (it hurts me) b/w Bobby Paris - Night Owl

SOS 006 Dee Dee Sharp - What Kind Of Lady b/w Derek + Ray - Interplay

SOS 007 Delcos - Arabia b/w Present - Many's The Slip

SOS 008 Greg Perry - It Takes Heart b/w Alfie Davison - Love Is A Serious Business

SOS 009 **unissued**

SOS 010 Mr Charles - I Don't Need No Doctor b/w N.F. Porter - Keep On Keeping On

Social source share

mine too, but he borrowed my beverley ann to dub the first one from

I remember as the time he was thinking of doing "Sammy Davis Jr - You Can Count On Me" - This was towards the end of the SOS label, before the next label took over. It could be that SDJ was to be SOS 009, but that is only a guess.

Update ..

As soon as I posted this I suddenly remembered .. SOS009 was a 12" 4 track

Bill Harris - Am I Hot / Lew Kirton - Heaven In The Afternoon

Curtis - How Can I Tell Her / Voices Of East Harlem - Cahing In

Cheers

Mick

Edited by Mick Holdsworth
Social source share

So who did em then?

It is quite tedious when people keep saying "Mm, I know but I'm not telling". If you're not prepared to say I would have thought it better to say nowt - rather than wanting to appear to be in the "know gang" and therefore being better than the rest of us.

:hatsoff2:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI TREV Did I say there was a connection? no I didn't diddle eye! however I can make a connexion for you, both JOKER & SOS were aimed at the scooter scene, which in the early mid 8T's filled the void, on the rare soul scene, the scooterists and their scene baffled me? as they took some good ideas put them together, and them made a pigs ear out of it for example the EATHIOPIONS THE WHIP DOCTOR BIRD (CLASSIC) WAS PLAYED NEXT TO BUSTER BLOOD VESALS CAN CAN , THEY RODE PX & GP SCOOTERS WHY? When a series 3 TV175 was the best scooter ever made, 14 hole DM'S AND GREEN HELICOPTER JACKETS?/ I wont go on , but the record labels had some link with a top WIGAN DEALER from the BOURNMOUTH AREA? AND THE LABELS CATERD FOR THEM IN QUESTION??? SO THERE YOU ARE A NICE CONECTION, SAYS I :wicked: DAVEpost-13241-0-77632700-1344667233_thumb.jpost-13241-0-22178900-1344667532_thumb.p
Social source share

Ha ha Dave i regularly have drinks with that top Wigan dealer and can confirm what you have said...re the scooterboys...these were the descendants of the mid seventies scooterboys who wanted the most up to date scoot which at the time was a Gp from 69.They stopped production in 71 and the Spanish Jet 200 filled the void until 1976 and Arthur Francis of Watford imported the Indian ones....series 1 s and 2 s were considered for grandads.The Vespa PX was the classic eighties scooterboy scoot.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!