Cds/mp3s Vs Records

Guest miff

Whilst out last Saturday I was having a discusion with a mate of mine he was telling me how many records he had on mp3, 12000 are his Claim. I said thats all very good But would'nt you rather have records. I can not afford to buy records was his reply Now over the last Year or so I have started to buy records again. I have now got around 250 45s, Now lets be concervative about the price & say 15 quid a record thats 3,750 Quid :yes: Now That came a a bit of a shock to me and had to concede he had a point, And for the first time i can now see why people are buying and collecting CDs & mp3s The point ime trying to make is how many returnees ars going to shell out 10 -20 Pound on records (and thats just for the cheeper ones)to regain a record collection When that will buy you 2 cds worth say 40 tracks, also explains the popularity of all these double sided boots going around

Social source share

• Replies 30
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

The point ime trying to make is how many returnees ars going to shell out 10 -20 Pound on records (and thats just for the cheeper ones)to regain a record collection When that will buy you 2 cds worth say 40 tracks

link

Miff, I'm similar to you in only been buying records again for the past year or so. I buy originals at between £5 & £25, the last CD I got was free on entry to Saracens back in March.

I can tell you now the vast majority on this site will choose records everytime.

One last thing, isn't it about time we all moved on from the CD's v Vinyl & Originals or Not, threads, please. :yes:

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I've got a few Cds.

But if I bought one for a certain track, I wouldnt then think to myself "I have that record". Because I dont.

In fact I'd deliberatley not buy a CD that had a track on I desperately wanted, because it might put me off actually buying it if I had the chance, eg L Allen.

But if a CD had Margaret Little on, and I doubt, failing a lottery win, I'd be able to buy a copy, then I might buy the CD.

Not saying thats right or wrong. Its just how I choose to spend my limited disposable cash.

Social source share

very hard to start collecting now

certainly if you want to have a sizeable collection and feel, for some reason, you have to rival the big collectors (instead of just being happy with what you have)

most people on here i would guess have been collecting for 20 years+ and that's a hell of a head start particularly with today's prices (though not, as has been pointed out ad nauseam, if you seek out good cheapies and not just the stuff that gets played)

there is also no doubt that for the price of a transatlantic flight and a few motel rooms, you can go to the states and still come back with some nice stuff if you know where to look. might not pick up too many walter and the admerations but you can still get a week paid for

cds are great (as long as legal and played at home...ah, sorry, bastard...get back in the box) and mp3s are obviously the next step, though i like sleeve notes and pictures etc which wou don;'t get with mp3 etc

can never compare to actually owning the records but short of a major lottery win none of us will ever have all the records we want

Social source share

I've got a few Cds.

But if I bought one for a certain track, I wouldnt then think to myself "I have that record". Because I dont.

In fact I'd deliberatley not buy a CD that had a track on I desperately wanted, because it might put me off actually buying it if I had the chance, eg L Allen.

But if a CD had Margaret Little on, and I doubt, failing a lottery win, I'd be able to buy a copy, then I might buy the CD.

Not saying thats right or wrong. Its just how I choose to spend my limited disposable cash.

link

If you do find a cd with Margaret Little on Mike can you let us know or a soundtrack as its a song that I can't imagine ever tiring of. Sounded as good as ever when Mick H played it at the Orange last Saturday.

Even if you win the lottery you still going to struggle to find a copy.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

If you do find a cd with Margaret Little on Mike can you let us know or a soundtrack as its a song that I can't imagine ever tiring of. Sounded as good as ever when Mick H played it at the Orange last Saturday.

Even if you win the lottery you still going to struggle to find a copy.

link

Since I mentioned M Little yesterday, I have been sining it to myself every since. Went to sleep with it in my head. Woke up singing it.

Only trouble is I can only remember about 2 lines, so they are going over and over and over....

Social source share

For me collecting records has bordered on obsession for a large part of my life, and I haven't really got that many in my collection , but I still get the same level of satisfaction when I claim a "new" 45'/Lp, the whole aesthetic of a vinyl record is something to behold, it is a definite art form, from the design of all those wonderful labels to the actual sound that emits from within those grooves. But the key factor is the "Amount" of enjoyment derived from the records that we all own, and never solely on the "Number". That I believe is the preserve of the wretched train spotter ! Once again to anyone with a newly found addiction to rare American soul 45's, there are a myriad of incredible tunes hiding out there, and all at reasonable prices, it's part of the thrill (for me) to find a new sound, then hammer it to death in my living room, of course I covet those hard to find big price sounds, but I have contentment from what I own. I guess its just the "Thing We Do"

Brett

Edited by Brett
Social source share

Just heard from a mate that his mate has just spent £300 on records in the last week, when asked how many originals he got for that his reply was 'none', now people have a right to spend their money any way they like but there are so many originals out there that are brill which you can find for less than a boot costs these days. My latest purchases Cornellius bros and sister rose got to testify $8 al Wilson now i know what love is demo $7 lee williams lost love $6 Bill cole extra careful demo £8. Now because most people have access to the internet there are loads of stuff out there. We have the biggest record shop at our fingertips. It's just a case of trawling through the 'boxes' Over the last year i've had some great bargains as well in the £100+ stuff and i'm sure most people on here are the same.

had a few mp3's on my pc then it crashed so lost the lot. Back them up if you don't want to get caught out and now with ktf gone prob won't get some back.

Social source share

What i do, and this is just me, each to thier own, is go for Vinyl and CD format. If i really like a track i will try to get it on vinyl. However i will also "bulk buy" tracks ,if you like, on CD to pick up tracks that i like but not enough to outlay say £20-30 but then have the track and a number of others to go with it. Building a healthy collection of sound this way.

Drawback is the temptation to then collect all one artists tracks on vinyl.

Dont go for MP3 that much.

Oh and i prefer originals but have no problem with re-issues.

This is a change in attitude for me as at one point i was a CD only buyer, one positive effect from soul source.

Thanks chaps :) You do get a buzz from holding the big black penny. Had forgotten though.

Edited by Gary
Social source share

I've got a few Cds.

link

Love Finds A Way - Margaret Little , in a word "fantastic"

link to bootlegging site removed by site

Edited by mike-
Social source share

Since I mentioned M Little yesterday, I have been sining it to myself every since. Went to sleep with it in my head. Woke up singing it.

Only trouble is I can only remember about 2 lines, so they are going over and over and over....

link

I feel your pain, i realy do :thumbsup:

Sounds like this rock my world, check out world of happiness by cindy scott, the artist is in fact not the artist singing the song, its a mystery but i belive cindy scotts name was used just to fill the blank in, here read this it might be of interest.

Here's what Andy Rix wrote about the Ann Robinson - World Of Happiness.

Ann Robinson & World of happiness .....time to put this story to bed I

think by reviewing the evidence that is available.... as we know the song

was written by Eddie Holman & James Solomon and produced by Luther Randolph.

The flip side 'In one ear and out the other' was written by Jesse James and

it was he who bought this girl, from Norristown, to Harthon (recording Labels). The track was

cut at the same time as 'She's wanted' & 'Love is all right' ... I have an

8" acetate with both of these band tracks on back to back and at the end of

LIA there is a snippet of WOH ...so off the same tape reel and further

evidence of a 1965 recording... the recollections of Eddie & Jessie in

particular confirm these sessions all take place within the same time frame.

'She's wanted' by Larry Clinton was issued in November 1965 which again

confirms the recollections of Eddie & Jessie that 'WOH' was a '65 recording

... when Jesse fell out with the Harthon team over musical differences

specifically concerning 'LIA' the girl from Norristown had also left the

scene.

As I have stated before elsewhere nobody remembers her name ...and when

talking about 'her' I mean the girl who sings the version that I play and

not the version that Butch plays ... Eddie & James seemed to recall one of

the girls who cut a demo was Tina Britt and another was called Elaine

...Jesse & Harriet James cannot remember but knew the girl's family and are

confident that when her parents pulled her out of the record business

because of their religious beliefs she never made another record...

certainly not while they were around. Luther Randolph was equally puzzled

and suggested Cindy Gibson or Roseanne Jefferson but these names did not

register with Eddie, James or Harriet who are all able to describe what the

girl looked like ....as far as Weldon McDougal was concerned when I first

played the song to him a couple of years ago he didn't know it at all but

was able to recognise it as a Harthon thing. When I phoned Weldon again

yesterday and had yet another conversation about it he struggled to

recognise the song I was talking about so when I played it he was adamant

that the singer was NOT Ann Robinson, whose range was totally different, and

more importantly he does not have a mastertape of the recording.

I believe that this Ann Robinson story eminated from Dave Brown & Sonny

Hopson in Philly and may in fact be a misunderstanding..... Eddie Holman

knew Ann very well and recalls that she arrived in Philly, from Virginia, in

about 69, so years after WOH was first recorded ...he again said that she

did not cut WOH at Virtue.

Ann recorded initially for Sonny Hopsons All Brothers label which released

'Bird Walkin' by the Emanons Orch, which despite different writer/publisher

credits, is a reworking if the rhythm track of 'World of happiness'.....

The Emanons as 'The Freedom Now Brothers' released a track called 'Sissy

walk' on All Brothers and Ann cut a vocal on this entitled 'you did it'

....what Sonny told Dave was that he had wanted to do 'Bird Walkin' as a

vocal but the Emanons (a male group) couldn't cut the vocal track how he

wanted so he got Ann to do a vocal on that tune as well which was never

issued ... I believe it was assumed from this discussion this meant Ann had

cut 'World of happiness' and was therefore the mystery girl ....I think not.

I have just listened to Ann singing 'You did it' and there is no way she is

the girl singing my version of WOH ...the voices are totally different. The

problem now is that many in the UK believe the Ann Robinson story is true

and as she has been proclaimed by all to be the mystery girl it's hardly

likely the story is gonna be retracted as a misunderstanding ... I've told

Dave Brown he should check his facts before circulating half-truths but it's

a bit late now.... so in conclusion WOH is not by Ann Robinson and when I

find out who it is I will let you all know I rest my case unless anybody

wishes to put forward some equally convincing evidence.

And to finish off, from a follow up mail.......

Just to finish off the reason we called it Cindy Scott is because we thought

as Butch called his the Sherry's we should go for a solo femme artist to

identify it as a different version and as we were actually leaving Philly to

fly out to visit Cindy in LA & she was from Philly .... well it just seemed

logical

Take care

Andy

Edited by VicG
Social source share

Guest dodger

The only word for it Vic :thumbsup:

link

Go on Maggie lass, there's a tune in there somewhere. What horrible vocals. Would people really pay a lot of money for this? Out of tune cack.

Social source share

I feel your pain, i realy do  :thumbsup:

Sounds like this rock my world, check out world of happiness by cindy scott, the artist is in fact not the artist singing the song, its a mystery but i belive cindy scotts name was used just to fill the blank in, here read this it might be of interest.

Here's what Andy Rix wrote about the Ann Robinson - .....

link

if cutting and pasting stuff always ask that give credit from where got it from

as in site/source link and so on

ta

mike

Social source share

had to remove the links to nick rennies bootlegging site as per the guidelines

simple fact is rennie openly sells custom diy cdrs of all the tracks on his site -see previous posts

this is illegal and as such links to this or similar bootlegging sites are not welcome

ta

mike

Social source share

had to remove the links to nick rennies bootlegging site as per the guidelines

simple fact is rennie openly sells custom diy cdrs of all the tracks on his site -see previous posts

this is illegal and as such links to this or similar bootlegging sites are not welcome

ta

mike

link

Mike, it's not his fault, us lot who where born in Boston General were given a rap sheet, not a birth certificate!!!

:thumbsup::lol::D:D

Social source share

just re-upped the magret little clip up here for those who didnt clock it first time up on here

its from the time Soul Sam played it on JazzFM show

At a guess think Mark Speakman be giving this a play at Saturdays Monkey

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/index.p...md=si&img=5366&

link

Sounds like Andrew Terry out-Motowning Motown! Is Gomba written on the label or was is nicked from 2648 WGB?!

Edited by Hippo
Social source share

Yeah sorry for the link and stuff, maybe i should read the rules, ive always been the kind of person that when i get a new toy, im too impatient to read instructions, like to get straight in there, scratch my head when i dont understand then read the instructions lol.

Just wanna add the Andy Rix clip was mailed to me from a member of KTF

Edited by VicG
Social source share

Love Finds A Way - Margaret Little , in a word "fantastic"

link to bootlegging site removed by site

link

I noticed your link to a custom CD site and it left me a bit puzzled.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't you who was taking the piss on another thread out of, amongst other things, a DJ who played CDs?

Can't quite tally the two things up :thumbsup:

Social source share

I noticed your link to a custom CD site and it left me a bit puzzled.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't you who was taking the piss on another thread out of, amongst other things, a DJ who played CDs?

Can't quite tally the two things up :thumbsup:

link

Lol there are some right spoons on this site, very wooden and love to stir, read my post carefully, also this thread is about the very subject, someone wanted this song on cd, i just pointed the way, oh and 2+2=4 :D

Edited by VicG
Social source share

Lol there are some right spoons on this site, very wooden and love to stir, read my post carefully, also this thread is about the very subject, someone wanted this song on cd, i just pointed the way, oh and 2+2=4  :D

link

I did read your post and I know what the thread is about.

I take it the answer to my question is "yes".

I'm just glad I'm not so wooden that I need the site to tidy my posts up. :thumbsup:

Social source share

I did read your post and I know what the thread is about.

I take it the answer to my question is "yes".

I'm just glad I'm not so wooden that I need the site to tidy my posts up. :thumbsup:

link

Notice from the thread i mentioned cd's were played and i had a good time, danced all night, i gave tongue in cheek humour.

Of course you cant beat records, its the scene, but nothing wrong in my opinion if "some" are played to the floor which helps add to a great night so what, who cares, i wont coz ill be too busy dancing.

Anyway, im off out tonight, gonna go for a shuffle :D

Social source share

Yeah sorry for the link and stuff, maybe i should read the rules, ive always been the kind of person that when i get a new toy, im too impatient to read instructions, like to get straight in there, scratch my head when i dont understand then read the instructions lol.

Just wanna add the Andy Rix clip was mailed to me from a member of KTF

link

gave excuse to remind people on both things so no probs

mike

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert