Teri De Label, Info Needed, Please

Ady Potts

I'm trying to put together an article on the pink Teri De label. Does anyone have any kind of info, however big or small, on the label, artists, producers, arrangers, etc.? Any pictures? I'm ok for label scans, but I'm desperate for any other info/pics. I have been told by someone who Teri De supposedly was, but would like to know for definite.

So, I'm after any info on the following :

THE GROOVERS - TERI DE 002

THE SOUL SHAKERS - TERI DE 003

LEONARD JEWELL - TERI DE 004

JIMMY GRESHAM - TERI DE 005

THE PENETRATIONS - TERI DE 006

Any pictures & info on related people:

Godoy Golbert, James Anthony Durke, Roy Durkee, Miles Grayson, Charles Hutchinson, Ben Gresham, Willie Gresham, Delanieur Music.

It does seem strange to me that the numbers started at 002. Wonder what happened to 001 ?

Please PM, or email me at adypotts@hotmail.co.uk

Social source share

• Replies 22
  • Views 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I'm trying to put together an article on the pink Teri De label. Does anyone have any kind of info, however big or small, on the label, artists, producers, arrangers, etc.? Any pictures? I'm ok for label scans, but I'm desperate for any other info/pics. I have been told by someone who Teri De supposedly was, but would like to know for definite.

Godoy Golbert, James Anthony Durke, Roy Durkee, Miles Grayson, Charles Hutchinson, Ben Gresham, Willie Gresham, Delanieur Music.

It does seem strange to me that the numbers started at 002. Wonder what happened to 001 ?

i have an exits photo that I think has godoy colbert in the photo (wasn't he a member of the exits or am I remembering wrong)?

Social source share

i have an exits photo that I think has godoy colbert in the photo (wasn't he a member of the exits or am I remembering wrong)?

Hi Bob,

To be honest, I can't remember. Someones borrowed my group harmony book so can't check in there at the moment to see if there's a mention of the group line up. Can anyone confirm?

Ady

Social source share

Pottsy, if you do not already know:

Groovers, Soul Shakers, Penetrations all written by Len Jewell (Leonard Jewell Smith per the label)

Jimmy Grisham track co-wrote by Jewell and Grisham.

"Bettin' on love" co-written by Jewell and Durke

In addition to your listings there are the following:

007 Sonny Craver - "I want to thank you/I'm no fool"

0010 Smoke Sugar Company - "Save a little love for a rainy day/Doin' it"

0011 Len Jewell - "Bettin' on love/Paint me"

0012 Smoke Sugar Company - "The girl can't forget it/It's been so long"

0013 James Nelson - "Mellow,mellow me/I want to turn the world on"

0015 Torrid - "High rollin'/Same"

Apologies if this stuff is also known.

Edited by Jaco
Social source share

Hi Adey

as far as i've been able to establish the label was named after Len Jewel's wife .... I had contact details for her a few years ago but all enquiies ended up going nowhere

Regards

Andy

STRANGE, FOR A LABEL WITH ONLY HALF A DOZEN (PINK LABEL) RELEASES, THE QUALITY IS AMAZING, CHOON WISE.

BRI PINCH.

Social source share

Pottsy, if you do not already know:

Groovers, Soul Shakers, Penetrations all written by Len Jewell (Leonard Jewell Smith per the label)

Jimmy Grisham track co-wrote by Jewell and Grisham.

"Bettin' on love" co-written by Jewell and Durke

In addition to your listings there are the following:

007 Sonny Craver - "I want to thank you/I'm no fool"

0010 Smoke Sugar Company - "Save a little love for a rainy day/Doin' it"

0011 Len Jewell - "Bettin' on love/Paint me"

0012 Smoke Sugar Company - "The girl can't forget it/It's been so long"

0013 James Nelson - "Mellow,mellow me/I want to turn the world on"

0015 Torrid - "High rollin'/Same"

Apologies if this stuff is also known.

Hi Jaco,

Thanks for that mate. I do have all the info from the labels & I'm just going to concentrate on the labels 60's output. But many thanks for your help.

Regards,

Ady

Social source share

Hi Adey

as far as i've been able to establish the label was named after Len Jewel's wife .... I had contact details for her a few years ago but all enquiies ended up going nowhere

Regards

Andy

Hi Andy !

Now that confirms what I'd heard, so that's promising, thanks.

Has anyone seen a photo of Leonard Jewell ?

Is Jimmy Gresham still in prison ? Also, where it mentions Ben Gresham & Willie Gresham on the label credits, does anyone know if these guys were brothers?

I know this is a real long shot, but if any family member or friend of the names I've mentioned happens to stumble across this thread it would be great to hear from you.

Thanks,

Ady

Edited by pottsy
Social source share

Guest recordman

Len Jewel always been one of revered names to soul collectors

I personally know nothing about the guy

Can anybody shed any light on his story where he was from

is Len Jewel his real name

One thing I do know the guy had an ear for quality soul production

Social source share

Len Jewel always been one of revered names to soul collectors

I personally know nothing about the guy

Can anybody shed any light on his story where he was from

is Len Jewel his real name

One thing I do know the guy had an ear for quality soul production

His full name was Leonard Jewell Smith

Social source share

Guest smudgesmith

His full name was Leonard Jewell Smith

Adey,have a word with Ian Clarke,i was under the impression he was a personal friend of Len,back in the day.You could also speak to Carl. I think Ian gave Carl a letter from Len Jewel when he bought bettin, on Love.

Speak soon Adey.

X!

Social source share

I seemed to remember a modern tune from around 15 years back by Delanieur on Teri De, and reading a review (in Voices From the Shadows, maybe?) which stated she was none other than Len Jewell's daughter, on his reactivated Teri De label. So I Googled "delanieur modern soul" and found this:

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/Sale-t28653.html

It doesn't confirm she is Len Jewell's daughter, but it does show I wasn't imagining things!

Len Jewell - top man!

Social source share

I seemed to remember a modern tune from around 15 years back by Delanieur on Teri De, and reading a review (in Voices From the Shadows, maybe?) which stated she was none other than Len Jewell's daughter, on his reactivated Teri De label. So I Googled "delanieur modern soul" and found this:

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/Sale-t28653.html

It doesn't confirm she is Len Jewell's daughter, but it does show I wasn't imagining things!

Len Jewell - top man!

Well spotted Alan, will try & find out if indeed it is his daughter thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Ady,

Have PM'd you with the Godoy Golbert link to other folks and the possible lineage of Delanieur Music. It's gonna take some real team effort detective work to get to the bottom of this story I reckon. On both sides of the pond too.

Be worth it in the end though.

Hi Dave,

Cheers for that ! I'll dig into that lot mate.

One thing that has got me wondering, Godoy uses Colbert on some credits & Golbert on others g.gif

Like you say, a bit of team effort. All good fun !

Ady

Social source share

I have the Delanieur 45 on Teri De, I know it's a later release than the ones you are interested in, but I was also under the impression it was Len Jewel's Daughter. - Maybe I read it in Voices sometime? g.gif

Anyway, more to the point, I came across the Visitors 45 on Tangerine today "My love is ready and waiting" and lo and behold, it's got Delanieur music in the credits!

Maybe you already knew that, but I hadn't noticed it before... no.gif

Social source share

I have the Delanieur 45 on Teri De, I know it's a later release than the ones you are interested in, but I was also under the impression it was Len Jewel's Daughter. - Maybe I read it in Voices sometime? g.gif

Anyway, more to the point, I came across the Visitors 45 on Tangerine today "My love is ready and waiting" and lo and behold, it's got Delanieur music in the credits!

Maybe you already knew that, but I hadn't noticed it before... no.gif

the visitors on tangerine has members of the exits

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Hi Andy !

Now that confirms what I'd heard, so that's promising, thanks.

Has anyone seen a photo of Leonard Jewell ?

Is Jimmy Gresham still in prison ? Also, where it mentions Ben Gresham & Willie Gresham on the label credits, does anyone know if these guys were brothers?

I know this is a real long shot, but if any family member or friend of the names I've mentioned happens to stumble across this thread it would be great to hear from you.

Thanks,

Ady

steve cooper from bedford has met him once or twice in the 70's.....got some nice stuff off,of him

Social source share

• 1 month later...
Guest bigtone27

steve cooper from bedford has met him once or twice in the 70's.....got some nice stuff off,of him

I have info about Teri De Label?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!