Dave Thorley

• Replies 25
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

OK the reason for the question is that I have a Abtone studio disc. One side is 'Birth of a playboy' and the other is 'Description of my girl'. Listening to it, it plays BOAP one side and the other side plays 'Love for my girl', as per the Crown Four release, now that I have found short clips of them in the Refo libarary I know it's a studio disc of The Crown Four. But I wonder if the original title was DOMG for the other side.

Finally I notice on Dave Rimmers site he list the the a side as 'Taking all the love I can/Birth of a playboy'

Is that another release or a mis-print

post-3008-1229861226_thumb.jpgpost-3008-1229861240_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

The Crown Four and Chosen Few releases of "Birth Of A Playboy" on the three labels LEE JOHN, MAPLE and CANYON are all the exact same recording, they are not different versions. The LEE JOHN mix has got a lot more treble compared to the MAPLE and CANYON releases though.

The release info for the 3 releases is as follows:

Crown Four - Birth Of A Playboy / Love Of My Girl - LEE JOHN 619

Chosen Few - Birth Of A Playboy / Taking All The Love I Can - MAPLE 1000

Chosen Few - Birth Of A Playboy / Taking All The Love I Can - CANYON 1000

"Love Of My Girl" and "Taking All The Love I Can" are not the same tune.

As far as I know The Crown Four, The Chosen Few and The Adventurers (on BLUE ROCK) were different names for the same group (bar one member or so).

Social source share

The Crown Four and Chosen Few releases of "Birth Of A Playboy" on the three labels LEE JOHN, MAPLE and CANYON are all the exact same recording, they are not different versions. The LEE JOHN mix has got a lot more treble compared to the MAPLE and CANYON releases though.

The release info for the 3 releases is as follows:

Crown Four - Birth Of A Playboy / Love Of My Girl - LEE JOHN 619

Chosen Few - Birth Of A Playboy / Taking All The Love I Can - MAPLE 1000

Chosen Few - Birth Of A Playboy / Taking All The Love I Can - CANYON 1000

"Love Of My Girl" and "Taking All The Love I Can" are not the same tune.

As far as I know The Crown Four, The Chosen Few and The Adventurers (on BLUE ROCK) were different names for the same group (bar one member or so).

Hi Seb

Thanks for that, I have to disagree on the versions thing. In so many ways 'Birth of a playboy' is different. One example is towards the end of the Crown Four there is vocal fad out, where as on the Chosen Few this is re-place with horns. Also on the Chosen Few, the horns are very to the forground, on the other they are lost in the back ground. They may have used the same recording, but they are diffrently mixed.

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

Must be the same Adventurers that recorded "Easy Baby" on Compass, as I think I can remember its the same writers, G. Perry etc?

Social source share

The Crown Four and Chosen Few releases of "Birth Of A Playboy" on the three labels LEE JOHN, MAPLE and CANYON are all the exact same recording, they are not different versions.

what??!! Come on Seb..they are not the 'exact same' at all.......

and it is a matter of taste but The Chosen Few wins it for me... :(

Social source share

if we are talking about taste - there is only 1 version :(

Social source share

I just did an A/B comparison and they are the exact same recordings, but mixed and mastered quite differently as Dave pointed out. The brass is more prominent on the Maple/Canyon issue and the piano is more prominent on the Lee John issue. But all ingredients can be found in either version, they are just buried or highlighted in the mixes to different degrees.

Social source share

I just did an A/B comparison and they are the exact same recordings, but mixed and mastered quite differently as Dave pointed out. The brass is more prominent on the Maple/Canyon issue and the piano is more prominent on the Lee John issue. But all ingredients can be found in either version, they are just buried or highlighted in the mixes to different degrees.

OK Seb, they are the exact same recording - but the mixing has totaly made them different versions...

If I lived in Malmo i would come round yours right now and take you and buy you one of those rather nice green cactus ciders biggrin.gif any niters planned matie?

Social source share

• 2 months later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert