Venicia Wilson - This Time I'm Loving You

Guest bazrico

It's only a half lie, because Ady Pierce charged me £450 for my copy of The Four Vandals, which was genuinely the most I had ever paid for a record in my entire life, having a fixed rule of no more than £400 for any one record.

Ian were you not involved in the production of this record or are the remarks about you with regard to this record untrue.

Social source share

• Replies 67
  • Views 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

It's only a half lie, because Ady Pierce charged me £450 for my copy of The Four Vandals, which was genuinely the most I had ever paid for a record in my entire life, having a fixed rule of no more than £400 for any one record.

Adey charged you £450 for a record that you yourself produced Ian? How does that work?

Not having a dig just don't understand the logic of what you are saying

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

Nothing in your post phases me - you're the quintessential reason why I have been forced in the past to invent interesting sub-plots - cos you'd have never even listened if the records had said "Produced by Ian Levine" on them, so you and your like created the situation in the first place, and the greed of others caused them to make profits of over a thousand per cent on records they bought cheap.

This is the ramblings of a seriously deluded individual - absolutely unbelievable :wicked::D

Social source share

Adey charged you £450 for a record that you yourself produced Ian? How does that work?

Why ask a question that you already know all the answers to, if it's not an attempt to ridicule me ???

Social source share

Why ask a question that you already know all the answers to, if it's not an attempt to ridicule me ???

Well let's face it Ian you have made a number of stories up for various reasons when you returned to the 'scene' and you may be surprised to know that I at least do understand the logic of why you made the 4 Vandals record and disguised it. Same thing with Venecia Wilson, though obviously I objected to your trying to hoodwink people by saying it was an original. I mean I understand you wanted to prove to the world that you could make an authentic "northern record" and didn't want people criticising it because it had your name on it etc.

David Rhodes and the hyperbole over that? - unneccesary because everyone says it's a good record anyway, but we've done that to death already.

What I don't understand is why you paid Adey Pierce 450 for a record that you made. I read somewhere that three copies were planted in the Wax Museum and Butch or someone found one etc.....but that still doesn't explain why you had to pay 450 for it. Don't answer if it's all too painful, but this is a chance for you to "come clean" and clear up any remaining myths.

Social source share

i pretty much know the story with the david rhodes but what year were they pressed up. i know its been done before but i havent got time to look.swopped a couple of 45s for mine and i personally love it. incidentally another IL record by the interpretations on love `i aint got nothing but time` is great :lol: .but the `A`side `coming out of hiding` is RANK thmbdn.gif

dave

two fantastic local do`s on at the end of the month

FRI 30TH JAN EARL OF DONCASTER

SAT 31ST FRIENDSHIP SOUL SESSIONS BARNSLEY

Social source share

i pretty much know the story with the david rhodes but what year were they pressed up.

It started to appear on Ian Levine's playlists/articles in mid-2001, so was most likely pressed in 2000 or 2001.

Here is what Ian Levine wrote about the record in the same Togetherness Magazine "Top 25 Rarities" article from 2001 that also featured the quote about Venicia Wilson that I posted above:

3 - DAVID RHODES - HUNG UP IN MID-AIR - CHI-CITY - CHC 1001

Very rare Chicago Mecca classic produced by Danny Leake, I had a box

of 25 of these in my hands last year, and wish I'd kept some back. Never

has a record so shot up in demand as this soulful Seventies gem, which

was technically never even released.

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

It started to appear on Ian Levine's playlists/articles in mid-2001, so was most likely pressed in 2000 or 2001.

Here is what Ian Levine wrote about the record in the same Togetherness Magazine "Top 25 Rarities" article from 2001 that also featured the quote about Venicia Wilson that I posted above:

3 - DAVID RHODES - HUNG UP IN MID-AIR - CHI-CITY - CHC 1001

Very rare Chicago Mecca classic produced by Danny Leake, I had a box

of 25 of these in my hands last year, and wish I'd kept some back. Never

has a record so shot up in demand as this soulful Seventies gem, which

was technically never even released.

thanks for that sebastian. always loved the record from years ago ( had it on a tape) but never saw it. the reason clear now...... it never existed apart from the danny leake pye acetate. when i did see the david rhodes 45 i borrowed 100quid from my mate to buy it. sorta levelled things out a bit by selling him 2 45s i paid bugger all for. for all the fuss about it as i said i think its great and unlike the majority of those `limited edition` 45s in this case it seems to be true

dave

Edited by dave pinch
Social source share

Shit, I have hundreds of your records. Do you wanna buy 'em off me? :lol:

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

Guest bazrico

Just sold to myself the records i have purchased lol

Edited by bazrico
Social source share

thanks for that sebastian. always loved the record from years ago ( had it on a tape) but never saw it. the reason clear now...... it never existed apart from the danny leake pye acetate. when i did see the david rhodes 45 i borrowed 100quid from my mate to buy it. sorta levelled things out a bit by selling him 2 45s i paid bugger all for. for all the fuss about it as i said i think its great and unlike the majority of those `limited edition` 45s in this case it seems to be true

dave

I bought my copy of David Rhodes soon after the market was flooded with copies and price settled to a more realistic 30 quid. Was surprised that back then people were still discussing whether it was a 70s or recent press. The flipside had a dull (IMO) instrumental with programmed instruments (and even stated IL in the writers credits), IMO that was a dead giveaway the record was done recently and not 30 odd years ago.

Sold David Rhodes recently to finance other purchases but I still think it's a fantastic piece of 70s soul.

Anyone who had heard both the Four Vandals when it was first played and didn't hear the programmed instruments immediately should have had their ears checked. I still like both tracks they did and it was nice to see "Wrong side of town" on the recent 200 Floorfillers DVD.

To summarize my drivel: I think, David Rhodes and both Four Vandals are really great records, the latter are what "Neo-Northern Soul" should sound like nowadays. But the circumstances and made-up stories when they were released leave a very very bad taste...

Social source share

What I don't understand is why you paid Adey Pierce 450 for a record that you made. I read somewhere that three copies were planted in the Wax Museum and Butch or someone found one etc.....but that still doesn't explain why you had to pay 450 for it. Don't answer if it's all too painful, but this is a chance for you to "come clean" and clear up any remaining myths.

Ady Pierce bought one of those three and sold it to me.

If I hadn't legitimately paid him £450 for it, so I could have a copy without arousing suspicion, I would never have been able to play it out while I was DJing.

The point being, much as I like him, I knew damn well how much he paid for it compared to what he sold it to me for.

Social source share

i think its great and unlike the majority of those `limited edition` 45s in this case it seems to be true

dave

I absolutely swear there were exactly 100 copies only of David Rhodes, and then the stampers and labels all got binned. It was pressed in 1999.

I don't even have a copy myself now, as when the Rocket ran up debts of £5000, in spring 2003, Kev Roberts took every copy of this, the Four Vandals, Sidney Barnes, and Venicia Wilson to pay for my share of the losses.

For all the moaning, it genuinely is and always will be one of the rarest Northern Soul records of all time, cos if anyone ever bootlegs it, I have Danny Leake's permission to come down on them like a ton of bricks, so it will always remain rare.

Social source share

incidentally another IL record by the interpretations on love `i aint got nothing but time` is great, but the `A`side `coming out of hiding` is RANK

dave

This was Snake Davis and The Suspicions, all recorded 100% live when we were recording the Ebony Alleyne album.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert