Martin Freeman Motown 50 Years

Dunno if already mentioned as I haven't read all posts but I don't know if anyone listens to radio 5 live but about 3.00pm this afternoon Simon Mayo did a 50 years of motown bit, Martha Reeves, Richard Street and others on the show. Missed most as I was getting loaded at the time :thumbsup: Heard Simon talk to Dennis Coffey on the phone mind.

Social source share

• Replies 65
  • Views 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest t5vespa

I thought it was very poor gesture......

Motown deserved better was just one of the reviews I read this morning, and I must say I agreed. Martin Freeman, nice guy though he is, did his best bless him.... I thought he was useless at interviewing, he seemed to have his crib-sheet memorised and was waiting for his turn to talk rather than listening and reacting to the answers given. On the other hand I have always loved TEARS OF A CLOWN so I enjoyed that micro-moment...

Final impression... piss poor

All in all I think if your not gonna give it 200% effort (in everything: research, presentation, content, final editing etc.) then you should be have the common decency to leave it alone. Don't bother next time Mr. BBC

"Martin what have you learned from this?".........."Eeeerm, I like this music"... F_cking brilliant, Well done! See ya later.

That's just my humble opinion for what it's worth

i enjoyed it

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Great little program, too short though as you say. I knew that Martin Freeman was into the Soul and Mod thing but the only appearance i know he has made was at a Small Faces convention so i'm told, never heard of any appearances on the soul scene?

Does a bit of djing now and again in London...mostly in E1. If I hear anything 'brewing' with the Motown 50th before it goes out in the press releases, I'll keep you lot posted. Lucky Martin going to Detroit when the weather was good....I went when it was -25 (that's MINUS 25) and I was the only one in the Hitsville building apart from the staff....it was amazing. Martin showed you Studio A and all the tape machines....if you looked very closely, there was a 'scuff mark' under one of the machines - that's where the arrangers/ producers 'counted in' the beat at the beginning of every session/ take :unsure: I can die happy :lol:

Social source share

Contrary to what others have said I thought Martin Freeman appeared clueless about Motown, and the "interview" with the Jacksons was cringeworthy.

Some great soundbites though and that record store looks very enticing, reminded me of a few English ones, circa 1974...

Social source share

The Funk Brothers? We all had a chance to see them in early 2004 when they toured the UK. Age is simply against them now.

We saw them at the Apollo in Manchester. Stevie Winwood guested, and Isaac Hayes should have been on, but he ducked. Billy Preston replaced him, and was so poor he didn't come out for the 2nd half!

The FBs were simply fantastic, they remained true to the 2 disc SINTSOM CD, which also sounds great.

We also saw the UK premiere of the film in Hebden Bridge in the Art Deco cinema there.

The DJs were Ginger, Terry Jones and (apologies, but forgot his name) the huge guy who started the Chatbusters mag.

They played nothing but Motown before the film, and nothing but Motown for around 3 hours afterwards.

We were buying beer from the supermarket and dancing at the front of the stage.

Quite simply one of the best nights I have ever experienced in my 38 years on the Northern scene.

What a testament to Motown that they played 5 hours of Motown and everyone danced all night, with I believe, no repeats.

Also, before the last record of the night, Terry made an off the cuff speech, basically thanking Motown, and mildly admonishing the Yanks for not knowing what they had (Northern and Motown), and how we re-discovered it, and kept it alive. Can't remember exactly what he said, but at the time he got a standing ovation.

I firmly believe no Motown would have meant no Northern scene for us. Bloody hell, what would we be doing?

Berry, I raise my glass to you!!

Social source share

I thought it was an excellent programme , good appearances by Clay McMurrey and Scott Reagan , well presented by Martin Freeman , would love to walk into Peoples records , a vinyl paradise !! .I note that Jack Ashford didn't appear with the Funks , also considering this was probably filmed a while back , wouldn't it have been nice to have had an appearance from Mike Terry ? Too short a programme , but very enjoyable .Best,Eddie

Edited by Eddie Hubbard
Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I watched it on iplayer last night.

Have to disagree with Johnny (good to see you on here after a long break mate)

It was a fans eye view of the music he loved. Nothing pretentious. He didnt claim to know more than anyone else, he was just getting in his words 'the best gig'.

I laughed reading Johnny's take on Martins conclusion. I didnt think of that at all.

All in all, a nice way to spend 30 minutes when the alternatives are Eastenders or Corrie.

Edited by in town Mikey
Social source share

I thought it was an excellent programme , good appearances by Clay McMurrey and Russ Reagan , well presented by Martin Freeman , would love to walk into Peoples records , a vinyl paradise !! .I note that Jack Ashford didn't appear with the Funks , also considering this was probably filmed a while back , wouldn't it have been nice to have had an appearance from Mike Terry ? Too short a programme , but very enjoyable .Best,Eddie

Jack Ashford tours with , and concentrates on , his own version of TFB , and will be at Ronnie Scott's in London later this month - details as follows taken from the RS website .......

Funk Brother Jack Ashford - the Return of the Motown Review

Jack Ashford leader/percussion, Angelo Starr lead vocals, Gregory Wright md/keyboards, John Shipley keyboards, Valencia Robinson vocals, Joseph McCreary bass, Crispin Taylor drums, Mike Feingold - guitar, Angelo Earl guitar, Carmelo Scaffidi-Argentina trumpet, Calvin Bennett saxophone.

2 x Grammy Winner & Life Time Achievement Award, Funk Brother Jack Ashford returns to Ronnie Scott's after sell-out performances last January.

This January proves to be even better than before as he has added to his Funk Brothers, Angelo Starr (brother of fellow Motown artist Edwin Starr) and Foley, best known for his bass work with renowned Jazz legend Miles Davis.

'They've had more # 1 recordings than the Beatles, the Beachboys, the Rolling Stones and Elvis Presley combined'. Live on stage 21,22 & 23 Janury

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Ok Chill, lets get back to my first but why don't we get these guys over for a Uk soul venue tour! Come on promoters??????

Whats the point? Most are now dead, others probably too old to travel now and they might not be able to play like they could. It would be like seeing the four tops with just one of the tops, disappopinting :thumbsup:

Social source share

Jack Ashford tours with , and concentrates on , his own version of TFB , and will be at Ronnie Scott's in London later this month - details as follows taken from the RS website .......

Funk Brother Jack Ashford - the Return of the Motown Review

Jack Ashford leader/percussion, Angelo Starr lead vocals, Gregory Wright md/keyboards, John Shipley keyboards, Valencia Robinson vocals, Joseph McCreary bass, Crispin Taylor drums, Mike Feingold - guitar, Angelo Earl guitar, Carmelo Scaffidi-Argentina trumpet, Calvin Bennett saxophone.

2 x Grammy Winner & Life Time Achievement Award, Funk Brother Jack Ashford returns to Ronnie Scott's after sell-out performances last January.

This January proves to be even better than before as he has added to his Funk Brothers, Angelo Starr (brother of fellow Motown artist Edwin Starr) and Foley, best known for his bass work with renowned Jazz legend Miles Davis.

'They've had more # 1 recordings than the Beatles, the Beachboys, the Rolling Stones and Elvis Presley combined'. Live on stage 21,22 & 23 Janury

Malc Burton

Cheers for that Malc , it seems a shame after years of obscurity , when they finally have their day in the sun , they end up falling out with each other .Money talks I guess..........Best,Eddie

Social source share

Cheers for that Malc , it seems a shame after years of obscurity , when they finally have their day in the sun , they end up falling out with each other .Money talks I guess..........Best,Eddie

I seem to recall that it was a combination of monetary and artistic values , that came between JA and the remaing members of TFB , Eddie ........

I last saw TFB perform at BB King's place in New York in December of 2005 : and though JA was billed as being part of the line up , he did not play with them , much to my disappointment .

Malc Burton

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!