Ian Levine 2009

My New Years resolution is to start the thread again and not get it closed down this time.

This means, if criticism is unfair and biased and personal, that I will not rise to the bait, not answer it, and no amount of goading or subterfuge will make me answer back. I will simply continue to ignore those people.

Lets hope and pray it works this time.

Fingers crossed.

Social source share

• Replies 68
  • Views 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

My New Years resolution is to start the thread again and not get it closed down this time.

This means, if criticism is unfair and biased and personal, that I will not rise to the bait, not answer it, and no amount of goading or subterfuge will make me answer back. I will simply continue to ignore those people.

Fingers crossed.

==========

I read your first two 'major' threads Ian, sometimes they were interesting, sometimes tedious, but both were reasonably entertaining. From the way you've introduced this one, it seems doubtful that it'll be able to match up. If you're going 'to control', what you answer to, as in difficult questions regarding previous/new recordings for instance, then the thread will end up as a 'Levine tribute', which will invite the snide comments you want to avoid. I don't think you're in a position to judge whether someones perceived critisism is biased and unfair as opinions are diverse on everything, and are never difinitive. I am in no doubt that you enjoy the limelight Ian, and from what you've achieved on the northern scene, I think, to a degree, you probably deserve it, but if you try and set the rules of debate within this thread to suit yourself, you'll be doing yourself and soul source a dis-service.

Just to make things clear, I am in no way saying you should answer, for instance, comments on your sexuality, personally I think they're irrelevant and uncalled for.

Good luck with the thread :thumbsup:

Winnie :-)

Social source share

Fingers crossed.

For crying out loud, why don't you give it a rest...

What's with its got to be the biggest thread and all that? every time I take a look at your thread, I never understand what any of you are talking about, there is never any context...and it always seems to be you arguing with other members..

Why Bother? why don't you just post up a link to a blog or something?

As far as I can tell, you just like arguing with people..

Mal.C. :thumbsup:

Social source share

oh another Ian !

not heard of you though, are you Steves brother? not_i.gif

only messin, i have no idea about past arguments so ignore my little piece of sarcasm. i will say thankyou to Mr Levine though for 'shaping' the way the rare soul scene has taken us over the years. some fine ( and not so fine ) discoveries. legendary venue, Colin Curtis..... "small boys in the park, jumpers for goal posts"

Social source share

==========

I read your first two 'major' threads Ian, sometimes they were interesting, sometimes tedious, but both were reasonably entertaining. From the way you've introduced this one, it seems doubtful that it'll be able to match up. If you're going 'to control', what you answer to, as in difficult questions regarding previous/new recordings for instance, then the thread will end up as a 'Levine tribute', which will invite the snide comments you want to avoid. I don't think you're in a position to judge whether someones perceived critisism is biased and unfair as opinions are diverse on everything, and are never difinitive. I am in no doubt that you enjoy the limelight Ian, and from what you've achieved on the northern scene, I think, to a degree, you probably deserve it, but if you try and set the rules of debate within this thread to suit yourself, you'll be doing yourself and soul source a dis-service.

Just to make things clear, I am in no way saying you should answer, for instance, comments on your sexuality, personally I think they're irrelevant and uncalled for.

Good luck with the thread :thumbsup:

Winnie :-)

You totally misunderstand.

I am willing to discuss anything fairly. A certain DJ and a certain female both picked on me viciously and biasedly, and it is just these people and a couple of others, without open minds, that I won't be answering.

Everyone else can discuss whatever they want with me.

Social source share

I missed the Martin Freeman Goes To Motown last night.

But anyone can now watch it here..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00gp...Goes_to_Motown/

I'm fascinated to see Herman Weems play the old Dee Edwards classic. How utterly fabulous.

Can anybody tell me who Martin Freeman is please, and what he's done ??? I'm most interested.

Edited by Ian Levine
Social source share

I missed the Martin Freeman Goes To Motown last night.

But anyone can now watch it here..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00gp...Goes_to_Motown/

I'm fascinated to see Herman Weems play the old Dee Edwards classic. How utterly fabulous.

Can anybody tell me who Martin Freeman is please, and what he's done ??? I'm most interested.

Hiya Ian

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Freeman

Arthur Dent in Hitchhikers is where you may know him from :thumbsup:

Social source share

Fingers crossed.

I read,with interest, your last threads and I look forward to more ''nuggets'' of info about the music, discoveries, deals(whether unsavory or not) and views. I for one will not criticise or slate your good self and would like to add that I am in appreciation of what you personaly have contributed to 'our' scene.

Please don't get involved in slanging matches as it tends to be to the exclusion of all of us who dont personaly know you or your adversary.

Good Luck...Wish you well

Nomad

Social source share

Guest FREEBIRD

Fingers crossed.

Good luck, fingures crossed for ya.. Shaun..

Social source share

Fingers crossed.

Good luck, I couldn't do it and I think it's wrong that you should have to BUT I hope you can and I very much hope it works. I enjoyed hearing new material and learned quite a bit from previous thread's so fingers crossed here too. :thumbsup:

Jayne.x

Social source share

Have you honestly never heard of The Office?

I hated it. So he was in that was he ???

Anyone know how I can get in touch with Martin Freeman then ?? I wanna show him some of the footage we shot twenty years ago when the artists and loads more of the Funk Brothers were still alive.

Social source share

I hated it. So he was in that was he ???

Anyone know how I can get in touch with Martin Freeman then ?? I wanna show him some of the footage we shot twenty years ago when the artists and loads more of the Funk Brothers were still alive.

Not sure if this is much help but his management people are Creative Artist Management:

CAM

1st Floor 55-59 Shaftesbury Avenue

London W1D 6LD

Tel: 020 7292 0600

Fax: 020 7734 3205

Jayne.x

Social source share

Fingers crossed.

First of all ian, happy new year, :thumbsup: just came on here i see u got 29 postings just read the first one, which was yours, great memories of the rocket, will u be doing any djing this year.

Billy P.S: i hope gavin is keeping his self in shape boxing.gif

Social source share

Fingers crossed.

Does this include childish name callilng as well, cos I object to being referred to as a troll, JAmes maybe :lol: but not me :unsure:

I am happy to keep out of your thread while you are busy discussing yourself and your music, unless i have genuine opinion on it but I object to being called names and I take it I am the female you are referring to in your later post.

So try and keep it about your music and not your opinions of people and I am sure it will all run very smoothly...........oh happy new year

And dont start winging about how I ruined your thread, you started it by referring to people as trolls in the title.

QoFxx

Social source share

Guest trickbag

Does this include childish name callilng as well, cos I object to being referred to as a troll

prettyist troll iv see in years :unsure:

ricky.

Social source share

Saw this on Answers.com. - think the researcher isn't really up to the job!!.

Along with Fiachra Trench, his songwriting partner, Ian Levine helped develop the Hi-NRG dance sound courtesy of hits such as "High Energy" by Evelyn Thomas, "So Many Men, So Little Time" by Miquel Brown, and "(I Can't Believe It) It's a Miracle" by Moonstone. Levine, born in Blackpool, worked as a producer and songwriter as early as the '60s (he also wrote "Black Pearl" by Checkmates Ltd.). By the 1970s, he began recruiting American soul singers like Evelyn Thomas and Hazell Dean to storm Britain's charts (and occasionally, America's). ~ John Bush, All Music Guide

Social source share

1874 posts since August , you really should get out more or get screened for OCD.

Tell me Ian, why do you feel you have to "approve" comments on all your youtube videos before they are posted, hardly freedom of speech unlike here, you cannot control what goes on here that must really bug you.

The comments you do allow on youtube seem rather manufactured and false to me ,rather like your tunes.

Want to get this one removed and demand an appology again like my last comment on here ?

Social source share

Guest bazrico

1874 posts since August , you really should get out more or get screened for OCD.

Tell me Ian, why do you feel you have to "approve" comments on all your youtube videos before they are posted, hardly freedom of speech unlike here, you cannot control what goes on here that must really bug you.

The comments you do allow on youtube seem rather manufactured and false to me ,rather like your tunes.

Want to get this one removed and demand an appology again like my last comment on here ?

You have just moved into my field, Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) is a mental disorder most commonly characterized by intrusive, repetitive thoughts resulting in compulsive behaviors and mental acts that the person feels driven to perform, according to rules that must be applied rigidly, aimed at preventing some imagined dreaded event; however, these behaviors or mental acts are not connected to the imagined dreaded event.

This for those who do not know, and please i am not patronising anyone

To many years working in the mental health sector

Edited by bazrico
Social source share

Guest soulboy

Ian did you ever dance at a nighter?

If you did , when was the last time you did and what to?

Changing the subject imberboy whats it like to see your life flash in front of you eyes bril phots!

Social source share

You totally misunderstand.

I am willing to discuss anything fairly. A certain DJ and a certain female both picked on me viciously and biasedly, and it is just these people and a couple of others, without open minds, that I won't be answering.

Everyone else can discuss whatever they want with me.

What's your view on Austrian parenting?.

Social source share

Guest bazrico

Yes, a friend who worked in an asylum in the 70's told me it was like wigan but without the music :unsure:

I will never be short of clients thank god for the northern soul scene lol

Social source share

Does this include childish name callilng as well, cos I object to being referred to as a troll, JAmes maybe :thumbsup: but not me ohmy.gif

I am happy to keep out of your thread while you are busy discussing yourself and your music, unless i have genuine opinion on it but I object to being called names and I take it I am the female you are referring to in your later post.

No you are absolutely NOT the one, no way no how, nor are you the one who riled me so much last time that the thread got closed down permanently. I have no problem answering your posts and indeed did so last time round without losing my temper. In fact you quite amuse me.

Social source share

Saw this on Answers.com. - think the researcher isn't really up to the job!!.

Along with Fiachra Trench, his songwriting partner, Ian Levine helped develop the Hi-NRG dance sound courtesy of hits such as "High Energy" by Evelyn Thomas, "So Many Men, So Little Time" by Miquel Brown, and "(I Can't Believe It) It's a Miracle" by Moonstone. Levine, born in Blackpool, worked as a producer and songwriter as early as the '60s (he also wrote "Black Pearl" by Checkmates Ltd.). By the 1970s, he began recruiting American soul singers like Evelyn Thomas and Hazell Dean to storm Britain's charts (and occasionally, America's). ~ John Bush, All Music Guide

Yes I saw that. They're talking about Irwin Levine and got mixed up.

Social source share

Tell me Ian, why do you feel you have to "approve" comments on all your youtube videos before they are posted, hardly freedom of speech unlike here

Correct.

They're my videos, it's my page, if people don't want to watch them, no loss to me.

You wouldn't believe some of the vomit that I have to delete from the comments on YouTube, much of it racist and bigoted, so there is no way on this planet I would leave the comments open and available withput approval of them, and also my video comments would be filled with prostitutes trying to promote their miserable SPAM sex sites too.

Social source share

Guest Scarborosoul

Always.

He's my guardian angel.

Is Gavin the guy who you get to send threatening e-mails for you?? Or is he your minder???

Only what Ive heard from good sourses!!

Rick

Social source share

Happy New Year Simon. Are you taking the michael here ???

No-one ever beat the legendary Tash and Gelly (Roy Ashworth and Rene Gelston) at Blackpool Mecca. As a double act they were then and still are to this day, the most unbeatable sight I ever witnessed.

Your second question is too silly to merit an answer,

Happy new year to you to Ian, nice to see you're talking to me again.

Good to see you starting a new thread, don't think personally though you're starting off on the right foot with the use of the word 'troll'.

Simon

Social source share

Happy new year to you to Ian, nice to see you're talking to me again.

Good to see you starting a new thread, don't think personally though you're starting off on the right foot with the use of the word 'troll'.

Simon

Thankyou for expressing your opinion.

Social source share

Fingers crossed.

When you say "criticism that is unfair and biased and personal", is that actually a euphemism for an opinion that differs from you own? unsure.gif

Pip pip biggrin.gif

Social source share

Fingers crossed.

Ian,

Is there any film footage in existence of the Mecca pre-1977 ?

Social source share

In fact you quite amuse me.

I am not sure if I should be flattered, or just very very very scared laugh.gif

The Ritz in 2003 to Holly St. James - I can remember it quite specifically because of certain events that stick in my mind.

As 60s girlie pop is my passion and I collect and play out a lot of 60sGP that has crossed over on to the northern scene, i.e. Susan Maughan, Sandi Shaw, Friday Brown, Bobbi Martin, Peggy March, Joey Heatherton, Holly St James etc. I have no problem with calling it as it is and referring to it as just that and depending on where I am playing always try and slip a few into my set.

Holly St James is one of my favourite of these tracks ................how would you classify it, NS or 60sGP?

QoFxx

Social source share

I really don't know how any one can say northern soul was dead in 1980

Anyone can and do say anything at certain times... Its more where the heads at than whats going on with the scene.. How many have said thats it, i'm finished with this scene its dead/crap/boring etc.. Only to be back at some point in the not too distant future..

People with a god complex can think that certain statements they make are the benchmark for all.. Not so..

Happy new year Ian.. Chill.. enjoy and be humble at times, its good for the soul...

Social source share

It may be white but it's most certainly classic Northern Soul. I found it in the Goodwill haul in 1973, and played it first in the Highland Room, and it's still a great record to this day. Another old favourite of Les Cokell.

I don't think it is a colour issue, there are black artists that recorded what I would refer to as GP and white artists that recorded soul (i.e. dusty).

I think I sitill err on the GP with HSJ though. Because something is GP doesn't make it a bad record and mean that it shouldn't be played and being NS doesn't make a record a good record and some of them should never be played laugh.gif

There is another female 60s track that I would also class as GP but would probably get shot on here if I expressed this opinion so I will keep it to myself ohmy.gif

QoFxx

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Blimey, reading through this thread kind of gives me the impression that you have godly status on the scene when most of the time all i seem to read or hear about you Ian is a bit naughty

Bearsy

ps, its just an observation

Social source share