• Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Anymore vinyl releases?

P :thumbsup:

Coming very very shortly from Phil Dick and Ian Dewhirst

PETER LAMARR - UNDER LOCK AND KEY/TAKING YOU FOR GRANTED

The best Northern Soul record I have EVER produced, and I mean that.

Social source share

Coming very very shortly from Phil Dick and Ian Dewhirst

PETER LAMARR - UNDER LOCK AND KEY/TAKING YOU FOR GRANTED

The best Northern Soul record I have EVER produced, and I mean that.

WOH WOH WOH!!!

Now that, IS, Open for debate!!!

How very Dare you!!

Edited by posstot
Social source share

It's a good idea, Phil.

We own the publishing rights to the song and I'm pretty sure Melvin would also like to see it issued.

Best regards,

Paul Mooney

P.S. The Peter Lamarr test pressings will be here next week

Talking of Peter Lamarr ....... the single will be released very soon and here's some sample sound files of both sides:

Side 1 - Under Lock And Key

Side 2 - Take You For Granted

Phil

SI_002_A_preview.mp3

SI_002_B_Preview.mp3

Social source share

Talking of Peter Lamarr ....... the single will be released very soon and here's some sample sound files of both sides:

Phil

Why did you then put the B side first, when the A side is simply the best Northern Soul record I have ever produced in my life ????

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/index.p...st&id=60028

Social source share

Talking of Peter Lamarr ....... the single will be released very soon

Phil

Clever bit of editing there. You gave them the first verse and chorus and then jumped to the breakdown.

I just gave myself goosebumps listening to it again.

I tell you something - If they'd rather listen to Kings Go Forth than THAT, then there's really no hope for them.

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/index.p...st&id=60028

Social source share

Clever bit of editing there. You gave them the first verse and chorus and then jumped to the breakdown...
Hello Ian,

I only needed the intro, first verse, chorus and break for the MP3 ...just enough for a strong preview.

The master is unedited, of course, otherwise your record would be even shorter than "Blowing My Mind To Pieces". wink.gif

Isn't it amazing that some of our old favourites are so short? In most cases it just makes you want to play the record again.

Paul

Social source share

Phil

Ian.

Please go tell me to take a running jump if you like BUT, on Under Lock and Key (which sounds great by the way) what about a bit of Baritone sax mirroring the trumpet at the start to give it a bit of depth, it might just be the early mix but it sounds a bit shrill on its own.

I always think the bari sax is one of the sounds that really makes the Northern sound.

I'll get me coat........

Social source share

Ian.

Please go tell me to take a running jump if you like BUT, on Under Lock and Key (which sounds great by the way) what about a bit of Baritone sax mirroring the trumpet at the start to give it a bit of depth, it might just be the early mix but it sounds a bit shrill on its own.

I always think the bari sax is one of the sounds that really makes the Northern sound.

I'll get me coat........

I'm no record producer, God knows I'm not, and I really liked that - except I thought the backing vocals were up to high in the mix. Apart from that - a belter.

Social source share

I'm no record producer, God knows I'm not, and I really liked that - except I thought the backing vocals were up to high in the mix. Apart from that - a belter.

I like it too. biggrin.gif

Social source share

Ian.

I'll get me coat........

It's a good suggestion, but a bit late now.

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

This will be the last post I will make on soul-source, and had the Peter Lamarr been really crap I wouldn't have bothered.

I do not agree with the way the Levine issue has been handled, it's been against the spirit of the site, in my opinion. The way Levine has threatened and bullied the moderators and contributers is, frankly, disgusting. The way people are pussy footing around him as if he is a spoilt princess in a royal palace is disturbing and because of this I will no longer be contributing to a society that is not strong enough to defend itself from this egotistical terrorist.

Peter Lamarr...

It's good to hear that Levine has been taking notice of the critisism and tried to move away from the SAW style productions. It's a shame the drums still have a computerised reverb on them, equally a shame that there is not a real bass player instead of the electronic keyboard bass. But saying that, it is a 'good northern' song, if a little contrived. It might even become a classic in some less critical clubs that go for the traditional northern sound.

It's obviously very hard to get the perfect 'sound', but had some advice been taken from Desco or Timmion with regards the production it would have been better than it is. But considering that it has been put together digitally it's impressive.

I'd guess that this will be played out and becoming a bit of a classic in parts of the 'northern scene' (I doubt it will get plays from rare soul DJs, Euro DJs, and certainly not from any of the deepfunk DJs) unless it doesn't get any spins for the wrong reasons, even though the wrong reason would be right. It might even get spins for the wrong reasons, which wouldn't be right.

I'll look forward to getting a copy to hear on my home system, even though it's not the kind of record I'd play out. But relatively speaking, it is quite clearly the best record Levine has produced :huh:

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Im sorry , that is just horrific. Clattering, reverby, clumsy,4/4 electronically produced, weak, rubbish. KGF just eclipses it im afraid (both sides). The KGF guys know their soul and funk and have paid attention to detail and sound reproduction and more importantly the guys can sing! This sounds like it could have been be a WHAM hit! Dire....A case of the emperors new clothes for sure! :huh:

Social source share

This will be the last post I will make on soul-source, and had the Peter Lamarr been crap I wouldn't have bothered.

I do not agree with the way the Levine issue has been handled, it's been against the spirit of the site, in my opinion. The way Levine has threatened and bullied the moderators and contributers is, frankly, disgusting. The way people are pussy footing around him as if he is a spoilt princess in a royal palace is disturbing and because of this I will no longer be contributing to a society that is not strong enough to defend itself from this egotistical terrorist.

Peter Lamarr...

It's good to hear that Levine has been taking notice of the critisism and moved away from the SAW style productions. It's a shame the drums still have a computerised reverb on them, equally a shame that there is not a real bass player instead of the electronic keyboard bass. But saying that, it is good northern. It might even be a classic.

It's obviously very hard to get the perfect 'sound', but had some advice been taken from Desco or Timmion with regards the production it would have been even better than it is. But considering that it has been put together digitally it's very impressive.

The only reason I can see for this not being played out and becoming a classic would be for the wrong reasons, even though the wrong reason would be right.

I'll look forward to getting a copy, of what is quite clearly the best record Levine has ever produced.

i thought cafe regio was ok but this is horrible

sorry!

Ant

Edited by Dinny
Social source share

Im sorry , that is just horrific. Clattering, reverby, clumsy,4/4 electronically produced, weak, rubbish. KGF just eclipses it im afraid (both sides). The KGF guys know their soul and funk and have paid attention to detail and sound reproduction and more importantly the guys can sing! This sounds like it could have been be a WHAM hit! Dire....A case of the emperors new clothes for sure!

:huh: :huh: laugh.gif:(:D :D :D:P:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Social source share

i thought cafe regio was ok but this is horrible

sorry!

Ant

I'm genuinely sorry you thought so. I think it's wonderful, so we clearly have enormously different tastes to each other.

Social source share

Had a listen to both sides Ian.

"Under lock and key" is ok, but seems a little too contrived,trying too hard to be perfect.I like a little frailty in my records and find this has none.Its almost souless because of it.

Maybe if you'd have recorded it on poor equipment,with the drummer banging out on cardboard boxes and the singer down a corridor........... :huh: .

Saying that ,it'll do well on certain dancefloors,probably becoming the next Sid "Solid Ground" Barnes.

Social source share

I got to say i dont and havent listened to much of your music Ian only the ones recently posted on your other thread and to be honest they didnt do it for me, Im not a long serving soulie just a 40 year old that found the scene 5 years ago and from what im reading im not sure if this is trying to remake the sound of yesteryear cos i wouldnt know i wasnt around back in the Wigan/Mecca days but i really am struggling to work out where this would be played on the Northern Soul scene and by who, I do get about and i go to Oldies nights/nighters and Rare Soul night/nighters but i can honestly say i dont know where this could be played cos for me its just not todays Northern if you know what i mean, good luck with it though you obviously put a lot of time energy and effort into what you do :D

Bearsy

Social source share

more i listen to it - and i'll stop now - this would sound good as a eurovision pop entry its that bad!

imo of course and good to have a forum where different opinions are allowed.

Ant

Edited by Dinny
Social source share

"Under lock and key" is ok, but seems a little too contrived,trying too hard to be perfect.I like a little frailty in my records and find this has none.Its almost souless because of it.

Maybe if you'd have recorded it on poor equipment,with the drummer banging out on cardboard boxes and the singer down a corridor........... :D .

I know you're saying that tongue in cheek but I think you have a point and I agree with you, you can make things just too polished and nowadays the popular sound is very retro and sparse and very good in my opinion.

Social source share

I know you're saying that tongue in cheek but I think you have a point and I agree with you, you can make things just too polished and nowadays the popular sound is very retro and sparse and very good in my opinion.

=============

sorry ian i dont think its the best thing youve done ....its ok but wont be a classic..

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

more i listen to it - and i'll stop now - this would sound good as a eurovision pop entry its that bad!

imo of course and good to have a forum where different opinions are allowed.

Ant

Actually, I've listened to it a few times now, so with my definitely (honest) last ever post until Levine has moved on post, I'll add that the production is really starting to grate now. Not so much a grower, more of a grater. I stand by it being the 'best thing Levine has produced' though, relatively speaking :D

And it is a decent song, the man can write a tune, in a traditional taylor made northern soul for the midland's village hall scene kind of way, I'm sure it will get a some spins, somewhere, but nowhere I'd go. It would have been interesting to hear the song had it not been produced on a computer and keyboard and in an analog studio with real musicians like the kids at Timmion have perfected.

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Actually, I've listened to it a few times now, so with my definitely (honest) last ever post until Levine has moved on post, I'll add that the production is really starting to grate now. Not so much a grower, more of a grater. I stand by it being the 'best thing Levine has produced' though.

And it is a decent song, the man can write a tune, in a traditional northern soul for the midland's village hall scene kind of way, I'm sure it will get a some spins, somewhere. It would have been interesting to hear the song had it not been produced on a computer and keyboard and in an analog studio with real musicians like the kids at Timmion have perfected.

==========

so it wont be on your playlist then James?

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

==========

so it wont be on your playlist then James?

I was playing it in the office on a little speaker (maybe why I thought the production was better than it was), does that count?

BTW, the crowd response was not good :D

(I didn't post that, I'm not on here anymore...)

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Please don't jump down my throat, Ian my old friend, but I don't think this is the best record you have ever produced. In all honesty, it wouldn't even make my 'Best 30 Ian Levine Productions' - but I do think it's a 'keeper', and I'll be adding it to my collection at some point in the near future...

Social source share

Actually, I've listened to it a few times now, so with my definitely (honest) last ever post until Levine has moved on post, I'll add that the production is really starting to grate now. Not so much a grower, more of a grater. I stand by it being the 'best thing Levine has produced' though.

And it is a decent song, the man can write a tune, in a traditional northern soul for the midland's village hall scene kind of way, I'm sure it will get a some spins, somewhere. It would have been interesting to hear the song had it not been produced on a computer and keyboard and in an analog studio with real musicians like the kids at Timmion have perfected.

Sorry but I have to disagree here. Not a good tune - too poppy by half and a really hackneyed lyric. Not keen on the rather muddy sounding production either. Still don't suppose it's aimed at people like me.

Social source share

This is exactly what happened with the Sidney Barnes record. Tony Rounce echoed what Kev Roberts said initially about that. But you can't keep a good record down, and eventually I was proved right about it.

I have produced literally thousands of tracks over 34 years. I know when one stands out. This one does, along with C.P. Spencer and Nat Augustin.

If people can't see that now, they will.

Sidney Barnes took six years, and it became the biggest monster floorfiller I have ever witnessed. This will too.

Social source share

Im sorry , that is just horrific. Clattering, reverby, clumsy,4/4 electronically produced, weak, rubbish. KGF just eclipses it im afraid (both sides). The KGF guys know their soul and funk and have paid attention to detail and sound reproduction and more importantly the guys can sing! This sounds like it could have been be a WHAM hit! Dire....A case of the emperors new clothes for sure! :lol:

I agree , it's got no balls :lol:

Social source share

Guest BigPaul

Maybe if you'd have recorded it on poor equipment,with the drummer banging out on cardboard boxes and the singer down a corridor........... :lol: .

Saying that ,it'll do well on certain dancefloors,probably becoming the next Sid "Solid Ground" Barnes.

Will you be playing it at The Attic Kev?

Ian, will you be doing a Whistle Stop tour of the country.

Dropping in at various selected venues. To promote the new track?

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Will you be playing it at The Attic Kev?

Ian, will you be doing a Whistle Stop tour of the country.

Dropping in at various selected venues. To promote the new track?

Pass through, giving the royal wave, handing out Lamarrs to the people, proclaiming "What, no newies? Then let them dance to Lamarrs!"

So, with my seriously definite without doubt last post before I leave Levine-Source to it's own devices, can I ask: Will any DJs on here be playing it out? :lol:

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

sorry if this isnt about this topic but i was aksed by the poster to change my quote bit on my post (#20) but i don't know how to do this can anyone help? :thumbsup:

thanks

Ant

Social source share

This is exactly what happened with the Sidney Barnes record. Tony Rounce echoed what Kev Roberts said initially about that. But you can't keep a good record down, and eventually I was proved right about it.

I have produced literally thousands of tracks over 34 years. I know when one stands out. This one does, along with C.P. Spencer and Nat Augustin.

If people can't see that now, they will.

Sidney Barnes took six years, and it became the biggest monster floorfiller I have ever witnessed. This will too.

Maybe the biggest floorfiller Ian.

But you know how you've often said " it wouldn't have got played at the Mecca,cos its not good enough"(or words to that effect), well that's how some of the guys react to Sid Barnes in today's context.

So overplayed, to the point of being irritating.Why? Cos it appeals to the masses.

It has nothing to do with the ethos that you and your peers started.

Begs the question,is this(Pete Lamarr) a soul record to preserve the "ethos" or is it a Pop record to make money?

Social source share

Why did you then put the B side first, when the A side is simply the best Northern Soul record I have ever produced in my life ????

I was really not expecting much, but my god! This is bad on both sides. sad.gif Dire in fact. Clumping soul that highlights the fact that you left the scene in 1980 and missed the hundreds of great, soulful, subtle, well produced records that djs carried on discovering after that. Its the sort of thing a 16 year old may have danced to at Wigan on his first visit, until he grew up and discovered 'soul'. Its got the tinny production quality of 'Duffys' truly atrocious 'rain on your parade'. If thats one of the greatest Northern soul records, you really need to do some catching up and take some time out to listen to whats been going on on the scene during your sojourn into the pop industry. This even falls short of the 'Poptastic' category.....a howler!

Social source share

Guest Scarborosoul

Maybe the biggest floorfiller Ian.

But you know how you've often said " it wouldn't have got played at the Mecca,cos its not good enough"(or words to that effect), well that's how some of the guys react to Sid Barnes in today's context.

So overplayed, to the point of being irritating.Why? Cos it appeals to the masses.

It has nothing to do with the ethos that you and your peers started.

Begs the question,is this(Pete Lamarr) a soul record to preserve the "ethos" or is it a Pop record to make money?

FFS have I not stated what this is and was I not told by certain moderators to basically NOT ask such questions or refer to forun rules because my opinion was not liked?

Rick

Social source share