Ian Levine Productions And Songs

my point is that he has abused other members and myself in other threads and not once has his ego let him say sorry or say well thats your point of view and move on . he has pissed people off with his replies and thats why people have a problem with his threads. people are watching this thread to see who is the next person he has a pop at

why don't you just reply to the above

there does seem to be a lot of bad feeling about your past posts on here

openly ignoring such posts aint going to help

Social source share

• Replies 1.1k
  • Views 70.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

my point is that he has abused other members and myself in other threads and not once has his ego let him say sorry or say well thats your point of view and move on . he has pissed people off with his replies and thats why people have a problem with his threads. people are watching this thread to see who is the next person he has a pop at

But at the moment this thread is about his music ? He has already stated that he is not going to bite into controversey !

So all I am saying is let him talk about Soulmusic and his new productions ?

That it !

Mossy

Social source share

why don't you just reply to the above

there does seem to be a lot of bad feeling about your past posts on here

openly ignoring such posts aint going to help

I don't think there's "a lot" as such. I think there are a handful of people who shout very loud over and over again and make it look like there are more of them than there actually are.

I have been rude in the past only, and I stress ONLY when people have been viciously rude about me, and for that I will never never never apologise.

This person above, the one that you're asking me to reply to, has been so rude and dismissive of my work, that nothing I can say or do will EVER have a positive effect, and conversely will just play into the hands of those who want me to lose my temper again, so that the thread gets closed down again - in other words those few with an agenda. In these cases, silence is golden.

I repeat - yet again - that I don't go into reggae threads on here, or onto country and western, or rock threads on the net, and slag off their music, even though I hate it personally.

It seems common manners, if you hate my music as violently as some of these people do, that when they're faced on the main menu for "All About The Soul" with a thread that's particularly themed about my music, stated clearly and unequivocally as such, that the obvious clear cut solution is to just avoid it totally, and to leave it all alone, so that those who enjoy it, or who want to ask questions, can do so free of taint or harrassment.

I put the case forward that the only people who I have "pissed off" on here are my enemies, who wouldn't give a fair review to my music if they were drowning in quicksand and someone held out a copy of The Four Vandals for them to hold on to, to save their lives.

Myself, Kev Roberts, and Russ Winstanley, have always had the worst misfortune of being lambasted by a small element of soul fans who think the music should be obscure and underground and limited to twenty collectors.

I will never apologise to these people - I would die first.

All I ask is to be left alone here to discuss my work, not waste hours defending myself against vicious ill-wishers who are only here to cause problems for me.

Social source share

But at the moment this thread is about his music ? He has already stated that he is not going to bite into controversey !

That it !

Mossy

Which is all I'm asking to do, left alone and unharrassed and free of a manic purist lynch mob.

Social source share

That it !

Mossy

Going off topic now :thumbsup:

Ian .... were you responsible for the Liza Marie Experience 12 inch back in 1995 from positiva records ?

If so I do own one of your tunes ! :shades:

Edited by mossy
Social source share

Ian .... were you responsible for the Liza Marie Experience 12 inch back in 1995 from positiva records ?

Yes.

It took my Loleatta Holloway record "Heartstealer", from 1989, and sampled most of it and created a new sort of song out of it, so I produced the original version and wrote the song with Ralph Tee and Loleatta herself, but didn't produce the new version that sampled it and was a pop hit.

I was quite proud of my Loleatta record when I did it. She had a terrible cold, and she was literallly EATING Vick's Vapour Rub - not putting it on her skin, but EATING it.

Social source share

Yes.

It took my Loleatta Holloway record "Heartstealer", from 1989, and sampled most of it and created a new sort of song out of it, so I produced the original version and wrote the song with Ralph Tee and Loleatta herself, but didn't produce the new version that sampled it and was a pop hit.

I was quite proud of my Loleatta record when I did it. She had a terrible cold, and she was literallly EATING Vick's Vapour Rub - not putting it on her skin, but EATING it.

fair play ................ that piano break put many luved up folk like me on the roof !! :thumbsup:

And i still have that positiva vinyl !

you used samples of Micheal Jackson on that tune didn't you ? if I remember ?

How much did you have to pay him ?

Edited by mossy
Social source share

That it !

Mossy

That seems to be the trouble at one time he was at the sharp end shapeing the scene ect introducing even producing new stuff too an extent , but theese days he cannot get his weltersized ego around the fact hes not got the influence , credibility , or tolerance to take critisism & that a lot of people would rather stick pins in their eyes than keep being exposed to that utter shite knocked out on u tube, & being told its something it isnt once upon a time i suspect you could of got away with it, every one will always look at a thread hes involved in for one reason or another they all have a multitude of reasons i expect, no denying the man deserves plenty of credit as hes achieved plenty & without him things would of been mighty different, although he does bring alot of what he bleats upon himself but hey its entertaiment

Social source share

That seems to be the trouble at one time he was at the sharp end shapeing the scene ect introducing even producing new stuff too an extent , but theese days he cannot get his weltersized ego around the fact hes not got the influence , credibility , or tolerance to take critisism & that a lot of people would rather stick pins in their eyes than keep being exposed to that utter shite knocked out on u tube, & being told its something it isnt once upon a time i suspect you could of got away with it, every one will always look at a thread hes involved in for one reason or another they all have a multitude of reasons i expect, no denying the man deserves plenty of credit as hes achieved plenty & without him things would of been mighty different, although he does bring alot of what he bleats upon himself but hey its entertaiment

Thats the point of this innit ?

This thread is about his new productions !

I dont like most of them ......... but there is nothing to be achieved by being rude to him !

Ian .... post the Mel Britt video up !

You forgot to put it on the DVD I believe !

Moss

Edited by mossy
Social source share

Thats the point of this innit ?

This thread is about his new productions !

I dont like most of them ......... but there is nothing to be achieved by being rude to him !

Ian .... post the Mel Britt video up !

You forgot to put it on the DVD I believe !

Moss

Ronnie Walker just posted up a couple of lovely messages of support on YouTube.

He reminded me WHY I DO IT.

It's worth putting up with some of the crud when the artists themselves realise what you're trying to do and thank you for it. And he's a truly wonderful artist.

Compared to that, I can blank out the mudslingers and focus on the positive.

Social source share

you used samples of Micheal Jackson on that tune didn't you ? if I remember ?

How much did you have to pay him ?

It wasn't my tune as I explained earlier.

I supplied the Loleatta Holloway song, which we did produce.

The final record which used it was made by Positiva, using samples of my Loleatta Holloway record.

Social source share

It wasn't my tune as I explained earlier.

I supplied the Loleatta Holloway song, which we did produce.

The final record which used it was made by Positiva, using samples of my Loleatta Holloway record.

Roger that !

Now can you post the Mel Brit video up !

And can I ask you to give this a general release ?

This is your next Frances Nero !

IMO of course !

This summer (09) on the white Isle............. Afternoon on the Cala.......Mel Brit on the radio ............ I can't wait !

Stay cool big man!

mossy

Edited by mossy
Social source share

Roger that !

Now can you post the Mel Brit video up !

And can I ask you to give this a general release ?

This is your next Frances Nero !

IMO of course !

This summer (09) on the white Isle............. Afternoon on the Cala.......Mel Brit on the radio ............ I can't wait !

Stay cool big man!

mossy

I actually wouldn't release the Mel Britt as a single, because it doesn't add anything to the original and I only re-recorded it for the video. I'd be treated like the anti-Christ if I did. I'm on far safer ground just releasing new songs.

Social source share

I actually wouldn't release the Mel Britt as a single, because it doesn't add anything to the original and I only re-recorded it for the video. I'd be treated like the anti-Christ if I did. I'm on far safer ground just releasing new songs.

Well I would release it if I were you !

Its a perfect summer record that folk outside this scene would love to bits ! IMO

Just get it produced and release it !

It is such a nice tune ! And your take is so close to the original late 60s cut it is criminal !

Mossy

Social source share

Its a perfect summer record that folk outside this scene would love to bits ! IMO

It is such a nice tune ! And your take is so close to the original late 60s cut it is criminal !

Mossy

Ian,

As this is not on the new DVD....has it been revamped/remixed from the original SWONS take? If so I also would ask that you post the new video up here, we haven't seen it if it's a new one.

Social source share

I don't think there's "a lot" as such. I think there are a handful of people who shout very loud over and over again and make it look like there are more of them than there actually are.

I have been rude in the past only, and I stress ONLY when people have been viciously rude about me, and for that I will never never never apologise.

This person above, the one that you're asking me to reply to, has been so rude and dismissive of my work, that nothing I can say or do will EVER have a positive effect, and conversely will just play into the hands of those who want me to lose my temper again, so that the thread gets closed down again - in other words those few with an agenda. In these cases, silence is golden.

I repeat - yet again - that I don't go into reggae threads on here, or onto country and western, or rock threads on the net, and slag off their music, even though I hate it personally.

It seems common manners, if you hate my music as violently as some of these people do, that when they're faced on the main menu for "All About The Soul" with a thread that's particularly themed about my music, stated clearly and unequivocally as such, that the obvious clear cut solution is to just avoid it totally, and to leave it all alone, so that those who enjoy it, or who want to ask questions, can do so free of taint or harrassment.

I put the case forward that the only people who I have "pissed off" on here are my enemies, who wouldn't give a fair review to my music if they were drowning in quicksand and someone held out a copy of The Four Vandals for them to hold on to, to save their lives.

Myself, Kev Roberts, and Russ Winstanley, have always had the worst misfortune of being lambasted by a small element of soul fans who think the music should be obscure and underground and limited to twenty collectors.

All I ask is to be left alone here to discuss my work, not waste hours defending myself against vicious ill-wishers who are only here to cause problems for me.

I don't know you personally, and I'm not your 'enemy' but I can't help but feel that at times you have overreacted badly and responded to criticism in an manner that we are not used to seeing on this site.

I therefore feel that as a consequence it is not just those who dislike your music that you have upset. I'm disappointed that you feel that your responses can be justified - a liitle humility is all it takes.

Social source share

I don't know you personally, and I'm not your 'enemy' but I can't help but feel that at times you have overreacted badly and responded to criticism in an manner that we are not used to seeing on this site.

I therefore feel that as a consequence it is not just those who dislike your music that you have upset. I'm disappointed that you feel that your responses can be justified - a liitle humility is all it takes.

When someone has attacked everything that I believe in and hold dear, and when someone has accused me of only being in it for the money, and when Motorcity lost over a million quid, and caused the bank to foreclose, and SWONS cost me £80,000, of which only £14,000 was recovered back, then anyone, ANYONE in my position would have lashed out. Especially when endlessly goaded, taunted, ridiculed, and needled like a dentist drill from a couple of extremely disturbed individuals.

I am humble, but not with people who I consider to be potentially evil.

I'm genuinely sorry if I upset you, as you're not one of the people who have been like pitbulls at my throat, but I'm unrepentant for the disgust that I feel towards those few individuals, even though I am not allowed to confront them directly in the way I would wish.

In a nutshell, there are no more than ten truly "difficult" people here, out of all the entire Soul Source membership, who I feel this way about. But those ten, using this forum as a soapbox and competing with each other to see who could shout the loudest, have behaved as if there were a thousand of them.

Social source share

Ian,

As this is not on the new DVD....has it been revamped/remixed from the original SWONS take? If so I also would ask that you post the new video up here, we haven't seen it if it's a new one.

Dave, your wish is my command

">
Social source share

As I think I have said to you before Ian people see you on here & it is noted that you don't "join in" like the other members. You don't go on other threads too much & show that much interest in what other people have to say on Soul Source.

For example below your avatar is "last played clip" - yours happens to be "Memories & Souvenirs" - it has been there for probably 3 months now. A lot of members in that 3 months have posted music for people to listen to but you have not bothered with any of it. I know you have a vast knowledge of music but you cannot possibly know every tune that is posted, so that leads me to think you are not that interested in what other members on here are recommending or listening to - which IMO does you no credit yet you want other people to listen to what you post up.

Do yourself a favour Ian - "Join In" - comment on other peoples postings & I assure you that you will gain more respect from your fellow Soul Sourcers & probably enjoy yourself on here a helluva lot more.

With Respect

Cheers

Andy

Social source share

Guest RonnieWalker

Ronnie Walker just posted up a couple of lovely messages of support on YouTube.

He reminded me WHY I DO IT.

It's worth putting up with some of the crud when the artists themselves realise what you're trying to do and thank you for it. And he's a truly wonderful artist.

Compared to that, I can blank out the mudslingers and focus on the positive.

Ian I thank you so much for your kind words they mean a lot

I am happy you did find me.

I wish I had know about this when it happened

better late then never I guess

I would also like to thank so many of you who enjoy my music

And for showing me such kindness when I was there in your country

Thank you so much

Ronnie Walker

Social source share

Thank you so much

Ronnie Walker

Hello Ronnie,

Wow, how lovely is that to hear from the artists showing their appreciation.

Love 'you got to try harder' by the way.

Best wishes,

P :lol:

Social source share

Guest RonnieWalker

Hello Ronnie,

Wow, how lovely is that to hear from the artists showing their appreciation.

Love 'you got to try harder' by the way.

Best wishes,

Thank you so very much

i find that it is true sometimes you have just got to try harder at everything.

I feel any chance to let people know that you do care

To let them know that your music is for them to

enjoy and love as much as you love making it

Is a chance you must take.

Thank you again and wishing you all the best

Ronnie Walker

Social source share

Thank you so very much

i find that it is true sometimes you have just got to try harder at everything.

I feel any chance to let people know that you do care

To let them know that your music is for them to

enjoy and love as much as you love making it

Is a chance you must take.

Thank you again and wishing you all the best

Ronnie Walker

You are so right, a song for todays troubled times. Love it.

Social source share

Ian

What's the news on Verna Francis ? I thought she did a great job on 'Because of you'.

So did I, Garry.

She's fantastic. She did an accapella at the launch party for "Northern Soul 2008" that gave her a standing ovation.

She was booked last November to sing a track for the new album, "Soul Steppers" and we waited in the studio for her for four hours, but she never turned up and has never been in touch since.

Strange !!!!!!

Social source share

And what's going on with Brenda Holloway - are you still working with her ?

Thanks

Garry

I would love to. I adore her. I cut 39 songs in total with her in the past.

These days sales are so small, as I'm sure you yourself know, that unless an artist is here and accessible, we simply can't afford airfares and accomodation to record someone.

My music is never going to make anyone rich, but we have to try to make it as affordable to record, or else we'd have to shut down, and as much as certain people on here might want to see that, others would be heartbroken by it.

If Brenda is ever over here again, I shall beg her on bended knees to do something new.

I did just record Rosetta Hightower, Tommy Hunt, and Jimmy James again.

And I genuinely appreciate your interest in my music. It means a lot.

Social source share

Thank you so much

Ronnie Walker

Ronnie Walker, you are a wonderful artist who I adore.

"Precious" is one of my favourite Philly ballads in the history of our music.

I am so so grateful for your support, so proud we filmed you for SWONS, and so eager to do something new with you for one of my new albums.

I thank you from the depths of my soul for both your artistry and your wonderful words of support.

Not all artists are such nice people. but you certainly are a true gentleman - a mere "thankyou" seems inappropriate.

You will always have my love and respect.

Social source share

Who Filmed the sequence Ian? Where was it done, can you remember?

Great song. Overplayed? Sure, but that doesn't detract from it's quality. I played it to a roomful of yoiung Spanish fans in Madrid last weekend and they knew every word.

My assistant Adi filmed it in A.J. Sparks' basement in Detroit, in February 1999.

Mel drove 150 miles to come and do it, and was four hours late in the end.

Social source share

As I think I have said to you before Ian people see you on here & it is noted that you don't "join in" like the other members. You don't go on other threads too much & show that much interest in what other people have to say on Soul Source.

For example below your avatar is "last played clip" - yours happens to be "Memories & Souvenirs" - it has been there for probably 3 months now. A lot of members in that 3 months have posted music for people to listen to but you have not bothered with any of it. I know you have a vast knowledge of music but you cannot possibly know every tune that is posted, so that leads me to think you are not that interested in what other members on here are recommending or listening to - which IMO does you no credit yet you want other people to listen to what you post up.

Do yourself a favour Ian - "Join In" - comment on other peoples postings & I assure you that you will gain more respect from your fellow Soul Sourcers & probably enjoy yourself on here a helluva lot more.

With Respect

Cheers

Andy

Epic, I know you mean well, but please don't try to shape me or make me into someone I'm not. "Memories And Souvenirs" is purposely still there because every time I have listened to another clip, I have gone back to make sure it showed up again by my avatar.

Heaven forbid the song by my avatar was something like the Kings Of Soul, or some other oddity that I have no wish to be associated with.

After all these years, don't you know who I am and how I act ???

Social source share

Epic, I know you mean well, but please don't try to shape me or make me into someone I'm not. "Memories And Souvenirs" is purposely still there because every time I have listened to another clip, I have gone back to make sure it showed up again by my avatar.

Heaven forbid the song by my avatar was something like the Kings Of Soul, or some other oddity that I have no wish to be associated with.

After all these years, don't you know who I am and how I act ???

Fair enough- however if you have listened to other peoples clips - which are the tunes that have impressed you which you had not heard before ?

Social source share

Fair enough- however if you have listened to other peoples clips - which are the tunes that have impressed you which you had not heard before ?

The only thing I have been recently impressed by, was "Never Let Go" by Margie Singleton.

And believe it or not, I really liked one of Carl Dixon's tracks. "I'm Crying" by Spyder Turner blew me away when I heard "THAT" chord, on bar four of the verse. "THAT" chord summed up why I love Northern Soul, and was the most "me" I have ever heard in recent years outside of my own stuff, so it gave me goosebumps.

Edited by Ian Levine
Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

Hi Ian -

You have made my day, and no doubt Spyders when I tell him. Thank you very much.

However, Spyders mum passed away yesterday after a long illness so I will tell him next time we communicate. Things have been a bit tough for him recently with all this. I know he is supposed to be doing an interview on Harry Grundy's soul programme on Salford Radio soon, so maybe we can play a pre release full version of the track and see what people think. They will be shocked at the guitar instrumental that Dennis Coffey did. My wife wants it as a ring tone and thinks its the best part of the song - cheeky devil!

Social source share

Hi Ian -

You have made my day, and no doubt Spyders when I tell him. Thank you very much.

However, Spyders mum passed away yesterday after a long illness so I will tell him next time we communicate. Things have been a bit tough for him recently with all this. I know he is supposed to be doing an interview on Harry Grundy's soul programme on Salford Radio soon, so maybe we can play a pre release full version of the track and see what people think. They will be shocked at the guitar instrumental that Dennis Coffey did. My wife wants it as a ring tone and thinks its the best part of the song - cheeky devil!

In my humble opinion, and remembering that I love the song, I think you need an extra four bars on the intro, between the opening drum fill and the backing vocals, just basically piano, vibes, bass, and drums.

Why not let me mix a seven inch for you ???

I want to speak to you about something else anyway, and just sent you a message on YouTube coincidentally.

Social source share

In my humble opinion, and remembering that I love the song, I think you need an extra four bars on the intro, between the opening drum fill and the backing vocals, just basically piano, vibes, bass, and drums.

I want to speak to you about something else anyway, and just sent you a message on YouTube coincidentally.

IAN - several questions for you .........

Who - if you can name them - could you not work with , despite trying to ?

Who did you approach to work with you , but they turned you down ?

Did you have a gut feeling that " Reaching for The Best " would be a success , or did you have reservations ?

" RFTB " is acknowledged as your first major production , but what was the first " dry run " producing a song ?

plus a Mecca related one .......

Cover ups : what was the shortest and longest run a record had that you covered up , before it was revealed by other parties ?

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Carl,

Fook him off cheeky bugger. :(

Social source share

"SORRY"for having an opinion, just cos i dont like some of your music(mainly the remake of some classic soul tunes) that gives you the right to have a go at me, some of your stuff like footsteps were very good and you have had your part in moulding the scene into what it is today with what you did with the mecca. yes i was rude "BACK "to you but thats just the way i am. i have had my say and will leave it at that, hope your future endevers are fruitfull now let sleeping dogs lie and all that :lol::lol::ohmy:wink.gif

Social source share

IAN - several questions for you .........

Who - if you can name them - could you not work with , despite trying to ?

Who did you approach to work with you , but they turned you down ?

Did you have a gut feeling that " Reaching for The Best " would be a success , or did you have reservations ?

" RFTB " is acknowledged as your first major production , but what was the first " dry run " producing a song ?

plus a Mecca related one .......

Cover ups : what was the shortest and longest run a record had that you covered up , before it was revealed by other parties ?

Malc Burton

I'll come back and answer all these later.

Social source share

Mossy

I tried to get him to license it me & Ian D for our Soul Intention label.

He wouldn't do it.

Come on. Give us Mel Britt. You know it makes sense.

Phil

Social source share

I tried to get him to license it me & Ian D for our Soul Intention label.

He wouldn't do it.

Come on. Give us Mel Britt. You know it makes sense.

Phil

It's a good idea, Phil.

We own the publishing rights to the song and I'm pretty sure Melvin would also like to see it issued.

Best regards,

Paul Mooney

P.S. The Peter Lamarr test pressings will be here next week

Edited by Paul
Social source share

Chuck Jackson - All Over the World. Brilliant!

Narrow or broad in opinion, I don't care, but that's still one of my all time fave tunes from this period. Around then was also the Arthur Miles double-sider 'Helping hand/Trippin' on your love' and the Clarence Carter gem 'Messing with my mind'.

I recall dancing in Clapham to the first, Southgate to the second, and in Lowestoft for the third!

Social source share

Chuck Jackson - All Over the World. Brilliant!

got to agree with this

I always thought it was one of my classics.

You'll probably like The Contours "Gonna Win You Back, off the "Reaching For The Very Best" triple CD - its in the same vein.

For me though, personally, the Peter Lamarr trumps everything else.

Social source share