Ian Levine Productions And Songs

As Mike chose to split my thread up, and as I wanted one thread to discuss my productions, this is the Ian Levine Production thread.

To discuss anything I have written or produced or both, between February 1975 and the present date 2009.

Social source share

• Replies 1.1k
  • Views 71k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

We can start with this - my first ever track I cut with Tammi Lavette, back in 1993. It was never released initially.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/nPThum7-K-A
Social source share

As someone who is not into the modern based sounds at all. Have you ever thought of pairing some of your stuff with anyone like some of the "throwback" style "retro-soul" artists around now. Commercially now would seem like a good time for something like that with the popularity of Winehouse, Jones, Willis, Russell et al. I saw the "Strange World Of Northern Soul" movie & thought how great it would have been to hear some more retro/earthy sounding productions to go along with some of the artist's performances. Not a dig at you, I'm just curious. Maybe you have done something like this & I've missed it?

Social source share

help mike please :thumbsup:

Thankyou for your kind comments.

They have been noted.

I always appreciate fair and constructive feedback.

It was thoughtful and most lovely of you to take the time and trouble to bring your opinions to my attention, and you have my unending gratitude.

Social source share

nz45s said:
As someone who is not into the modern based sounds at all. Have you ever thought of pairing some of your stuff with anyone like some of the "throwback" style "retro-soul" artists around now. Commercially now would seem like a good time for something like that with the popularity of Winehouse, Jones, Willis, Russell et al. I saw the "Strange World Of Northern Soul" movie & thought how great it would have been to hear some more retro/earthy sounding productions to go along with some of the artist's performances. Not a dig at you, I'm just curious. Maybe you have done something like this & I've missed it?

Venicia Wilson ???

The Four Vandals ???

https://www.youtube.com/embed/D2kUTfJQTNA

Social source share

They have been noted.

It was thoughtful and most lovely of you to take the time and trouble to bring your opinions to my attention, and you have my unending gratitude.

That's sarcasm,is it not?.Not a good start.

Social source share

As Mike chose to split my thread up, and as I wanted one thread to discuss my productions, this is the Ian Levine Production thread.

To discuss anything I have written or produced or both, between February 1975 and the present date 2009.

Hi Ian.

Just a thought when i watched the motown special with the few remaining Funk Bros & how good they still sounded. If it was/is still possible to have them play on any of the hundreds of tunes you have wrote?It would make them appeal to a whole lot more people.

I bought most of the motor city tunes in the 80's & to hear them with the Funk Bros would have been great.

Daryl

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

They like authentic warm 60s productions. That's why they tend to hook up with producers like Gabe from Desco/Daptone.

Social source share

They reckon Obama cant put his blackberry down.

Is that like making the perfect accepted and cherished Northern Soul record to you Ian?

For the record, Reaching for the best, was inspirational to us 14 year old baileys nappy night attendees circa 1975.

Today, as I stated in a recent thread, that Venecia Williams tune is Very Good.

I suppose whatever you do will never be good enough for some, but I have to admire your motivation as it cant be for commercial success.

Whats your 'proudest' moment as a record producer/song writer in terms of Northern Soul?

Ed

Social source share

I suppose whatever you do will never be good enough for some, but I have to admire your motivation as it cant be for commercial success.

No it's for artistic achievement.

Whatever they may say, and however much criticism they may hurl at me, when I created something as beautiful as the record I give you here as an example, a song which I wrote with the most wonderful Sylvia Moy, no amount of criticism will ever tarnish my pride in it.

">
Social source share

Whats your 'proudest' moment as a record producer/song writer in terms of Northern Soul?

Ed

The Four Vandals

Venicia Wilson

C.P. Spencer

The new Peter Lamarr

Nat Augustin

Edited by Ian Levine
Social source share

That's sarcasm,is it not?.Not a good start.

I thought it was very polite and well measured.

At least I won't get banned for it. Last time I lost it and told someone to go breathe cyanide. This time the new polite Ian Levine rules the day.

Social source share

Hi Ian. I have a question for you. I know almost nothing about your productions so excuse my ignorance. If I google, it says you worked with Herb Rooney of the exciters. I have a record by Black Stash on US Contempo that I think is also Herb Rooney related. Did you have anything to do with that record? Do you know anything about the group -- were they exciters-related? Thanks.

Social source share

Ian.

I must say I like the Four Vandals track (are they the guys doing Eurovision), great vocals and it sounds like it's actually got real musicians on it (whether it has or not), but the other ones Tammi Lavette and CP Spencer......well...... it doesn't matter how good a song is (and the CP Spencer one does sound decent) but the production is just too 'indentikit' and artificial, a bit like a really hi-tech Bontmpi organ.

I know you've done some good for Northern Soul over the years and I know production is your thing but it would be great to hear some of your stuff with a big REAL horn section and proper musicians, not just pressing a few buttons, it all sounds a bit elevatorish.

Apologies to any musicians who did play on the songs, it's just that the production sounds like you didn't.

In a bid to end this on a more positive note I thought some of your 70's disco stuff was right on the money, I just think the Northern sound needs to be a bit more real.

Social source share

Hi Ian. I have a question for you. I know almost nothing about your productions so excuse my ignorance. If I google, it says you worked with Herb Rooney of the exciters. I have a record by Black Stash on US Contempo that I think is also Herb Rooney related. Did you have anything to do with that record? Do you know anything about the group -- were they exciters-related? Thanks.

They were indeed Exciters related, and were one of Herb's groups that he owned, managed and produced, along with The Electric Ladies, and a solo artist called George Flame.

Herb Rooney had produced lots of records in the early 1970s before I teamed up with him. Black Stash were one of these. The lead singer was called Doris Jones, and Herb introduced me and we produced two songs together, in December 1975, which were released as singles on the Nems label in 1976. I then went on to record a whole album with her in 1976. I signed her to United Artists in 1977 and three singles were released but initially not the album. Once United Artists dropped her, we got the whole album released in America on AVI Records in 1979, all remixed by Rick Gianatos. Then in 1994, a full compilation came out in America on CD of everything I had done with her, called "The Best Of Doris Jones".

Social source share

Ian.

I must say I like the Four Vandals track (are they the guys doing Eurovision), great vocals and it sounds like it's actually got real musicians on it (whether it has or not), but the other ones Tammi Lavette and CP Spencer......

Three of the Four Vandals are indeed in the five piece group Emperors Of Soul currently in the Eurovision show on Saturday nights. One of them, Gerod Harris has also recorded lots of solo stuff with me, like the one below, which was also on a vinyl seven inch.

The Tammi Lavette track is sixteen years old, so it's not fair to judge that in the context you state, as it was recorded long before we were able to use real sounds affordably again. I only put it on here because lots of my friends and fans have only discovered the song recently and have hailed it as a lost gem.

If however, you feel the C.P. Spencer to be identikit and artificial, then I feel we're coming from totally different places.

">
Social source share

Also, do you fancy starting a thread with the 400 unknown records you say you have in your hot box? Post sound clips, you don't have to put titles up if your worried that they are all hidden away on Gemm for $20 each. I'm sure people would like to hear those.

Now that would be great!

Social source share

it would be great to hear some of your stuff with a big REAL horn section and proper musicians, not just pressing a few buttons, it all sounds a bit elevatorish.

The Ebony stuff had a huge orchestra and cost a fortune.

">
Social source share

Guest Bearsy

That's not too bad, catchy. You know what I think of the production though...

Can we hear this Peter Lamarr track?

Also, do you fancy starting a thread with the 400 unknown records you say you have in your hot box? Post sound clips, you don't have to put titles up if your worried that they are all hidden away on Gemm for $20 each. I'm sure people would like to hear those.

thats £8000 for them lot and in the right hands could be massive, some djs pay £8000 for 1 tune thats been played to death :D

I am interested too in any sound clips of these :huh:

1 question from me Ian, how much in touch with todays scene would you say you are ie- tunes being played, venues and djs etc

Bearsy

Social source share

Whatever they may say, and however much criticism they may hurl at me, when I created something as beautiful as the record I give you here as an example, a song which I wrote with the most wonderful Sylvia Moy, no amount of criticism will ever tarnish my pride in it.

Not bad really - although the drums spoil it for me - too far forward in the mix for the tune IMO.

Social source share

Ian,

This is a genuine question, and not a veiled dig.

Who are you aiming your productions at?

What age demographic? etc.

People around the world (and yes I have fans from Buenos Aries to Malaysia), who care about decent soul, and aren't blinkered by obsessive collectors mentalities, or the age of a record, or how it was made, or whether it was on vinyl or not, as long as the song, vocal, and overall feel are good.

And I have fans from 14 to 70, and four million hits on YouTube.

My worst critics are many of the members of Soul Source, unfortunately, which is a bit ironic, as you'd think, basically, they'd be the audience most receptive to my material, but that has never never never been the case. In fact, if my only audience was this one, I think I'd be sweeping the streets.

Social source share

It shows, by far the best production on this thread.

Reminds me a little of "Going Out Of My Head" - was that intentional?

Yes it was, and Sony spent £150,000 on the production.

If I had to wait for that kind of budget every time I wanted to write a song, I'd have very few productions to my name post 1979.

Going back in time, this for example had an equally huge orchestra, and it's thirty years old now.

">
Social source share

People around the world (and yes I have fans from Buenos Aries to Malaysia), who care about decent soul, and aren't blinkered by obsessive collectors mentalities, or the age of a record, or how it was made, or whether it was on vinyl or not, as long as the song, vocal, and overall feel are good.

My worst critics are many of the members of Soul Source, unfortunately, which is a bit ironic, as you'd think, basically, they'd be the audience most receptive to my material, but that has never never never been the case. In fact, if my only audience was this one, I think I'd be sweeping the streets.

Not this one Ian , not this one ..........

Malc Burton

Social source share

FFS Here we go again , get over yourself . There were then people then and there are certainly more knowledgable people now .

They have been noted.

Social source share

Not this one Ian , not this one ..........

Malc Burton

You're one of the good guys....

Plus most of Soul Source are open minded, but as is the case in all walks of life, the ones who aren't are the ones who always make sure they shout the loudest.

Social source share

F--king hell ! This guy rivals Caligulla in his self obsession! :huh: Why dont you do this on your OWN SITE Ian? You really need some help with this menopause thing your going through......

Social source share

They have been noted.

:huh: Cheers mate

Social source share

:lol: Cheers mate

IAN

Angelo Starr is vocalising with Jack Ashford's band later this month at Ronnie Scott's : how did this come about ? did JA hear Angelo from his recordings with you , and therefore draft him in ?

Malc Burton

Social source share

Guest souldancer

Ian....Have you ever considered using school/college bands/orchestras?

There is always amazing talent there especially the jazz bands..I would imagine that could keep costs down.

Julia

Social source share

IAN

Angelo Starr is vocalising with Jack Ashford's band later this month at Ronnie Scott's : how did this come about ? did JA hear Angelo from his recordings with you , and therefore draft him in ?

Malc Burton

Angelo knows them all for his entire life, from travelling the world with Edwin before he passed away.

Social source share

Ian....Have you ever considered using school/college bands/orchestras?

There is always amazing talent there especially the jazz bands..I would imagine that could keep costs down.

Julia

The musicians union stipulates a minimum fee per musician to record them, so you can't keep costs down even if they were willing to.

Social source share

Guest inspirations001

I like that. I'll have to check out some more of thier stuff. I have a 45 of them on Goldmine that I don't think I've ever listened to...

you're not missing much, both utter shite! :lol:

Social source share

">

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" />

Social source share

">

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" />

Social source share

Which markets do you sell the most copies of any given artist in?

Is there any artist who is extremely popular in a particular part of the World?

Angelo Starr big Down Under?

Social source share

">

Social source share

I was the one advocating playing cd's and MP3's at soul nights due to the prohibitive cost of original vinyl

Not all original vinyl is prohibitive, there's hundreds if not thousands of 45s you can pick up still for fivers & tenners, these aren't records that noone wants either, Jimmy Robbins, Dells, Radiants, Betty Everett etc.

I reckon you could do a top notch original vinyl only set for under £200.

Simon

Social source share

you're not missing much, both utter shite!

They have been noted.

Social source share

brilliant track saw the originals at richard searlings fifteeth birthday at the ritz can't remember if cp spencer was there or if he was ill

best kim

He was already ill by then and didn't come over with the others. He died soon after that.

Social source share

Which markets do you sell the most copies of any given artist in?

Is there any artist who is extremely popular in a particular part of the World?

Angelo Starr big Down Under?

Ebony Alleyne in Japan.

In fact in the 1980s, I had my own record label identities in Japan and was flown over to Tokyo with Evelyn Thomas to host a big night there.

Social source share

brilliant track saw the originals at richard searlings fifteeth birthday at the ritz can't remember if cp spencer was there or if he was ill

best kim

agreed. I remember that night. Didn't Hank Dixon's daughter Terrie, stand in for him because he was too ill.

Jayne.x

Social source share

I like that. I'll have to check out some more of thier stuff. I have a 45 of them on Goldmine that I don't think I've ever listened to...

You may also like this

">
Social source share