Sussex Soul Club - Patching 10th Jan

Guest newman

At a traditionally quiet time of the year when folks haven't had chance to get over the expense of Christmas coupled with the bitter cold weather and icy roads making travelling conditions treacherous, the numbers through the doors was fantastic on the first night at our new venue.

The guests were treated to a night of quality soul from all genres, classics to rarities, cheapies to the expensive, something for everyone's taste. Thank you for not only supporting us but also the mass of positive feedback along with the constructive criticism we've received. We all have our preferences but for the open minded and those willing to embrace how broad the scope of this music is, it was a night to remember.

All the Dj's Linda Seddon, Steve McMahon, Kevin Kent, Den Mac and myself (tongue in cheek) deserve a huge pat on the back! A special thank you to Kev for bringing his decks & sound system and to Den Mac for his set (Den travelled down from Derby yesterday on the train after his car let him down) his choice of tracks and the way he put them together was awesome and an education to all.

We hope to see you all back again on March 21st.

Graham, Steve & Christie - Sussex Soul Club

• Replies 20
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

What a great night indeed Graham - really enjoyed myself. I thought all the DJs played a blinder without exception and if Big Phil had fielded the same line today at Old Trafford Chelsea would be heading home with 3 points. I thought Den

Macs set at the end was excellent a great mix of tunes. You've all certainly set the bar high for the next one. And what a cheap night out bringing your own drink. And a really friendly crowd as well.

Cheers Manus

Hi G,

Really good night I really enjoyed djing at this localish doo for me.

Great to see soulie friends I have not seen for awhile and to meet some new ones too, lovely venue, looking forward to the next one in March......... :thumbup:

Thanks to everyone who helped make this night happen you all know who you are...... :thumbsup:

Playlist to follow later tonight.

Linda

Edited by Chaoswomanuk

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your hospitality and for asking me to play on the opening nite of your new venue (and for being my unpaid roadies laugh.gif ).

A nice little venue with a good floor - and a really cheap nite with drinks policy. A pretty good turn out too for an opening nite and I'm sure you will go from strength to strength with this one.

You aimed to make this "across the board" and I reckon you truly delivered on that front, rather than just leave it as a carte blanche play policy for each individual dj. :boxing:

If anyone really wants me to type out my playlist (slowly) I will, but in the meantime most of my plays are on this link:

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/flags/playlist#

Unfortunately not in order 'cos this is technology and it always goes wrong for me. Only exception is Chuck Jackson replacing Frank Beverly as I couldn't find a soundclip.

- Kev.

This is my playlist for last night in order of play:

Ramsey Lewis - Money In The Pocket - Chess

Sam & Dave - Soothe Me - Stax

Brooks & Jerry - I Got What It Takes - Direction

Ike & Tina Turner - Crazy 'Bout you Baby - United Artists

Wilson Pickett- She's Looking Good - Atlantic

Ko Ko Taylor - Wang Dang Doodle - Checker

Sugar Pie Desanto - Soulful Dress - Checker

Nancy Wilson - The End Of Our Love - Capital Demo

Willie Mitchell - The Champion - London

Earl Jackson - Soul Self Satisfaction - ABC Records

Robert Parker - Barefootin' - Island Records

Bobby Freeman - I'll Never Fall In Love Again - Autumn

Oscar Toney Jr. - Ain't That True Love - Bell Records

Johnnie Taylor - Blues In The Night - Stax

Flaming Emeralds - Have Some Everybody - Grapevine

Willie Mitchell - That Driving Beat - London

The Platters - Sweet, Sweet Lovin' - Stateside

Inez & Charlie Foxx - Tightrope - Pye International

Jerry Butler - Moody Woman - Mercury Records

The Spellbinders - Help Me (Get Myself Back Together Again) - Direction Records

Shirley Ellis - Soul Time - CBS Records

The Intriques - In A Moment - London Records

Jr. Walker & The All Stars - Tune Up - Soul

i`m really pleased that i made the effort to get down to sussex. actually it was no effort at all with just sitting on a comfy train talking to a young lady from liecester and arriving 2mins early.Gra picked me up from gatwick for the last leg of the journey.what a shock it was bloody freezing and a whiteout.got to christy`s lovely home and met kev, steve and tim from ilkeston. we set up at tea time and returned for the 7:30 spin off.There was a free chicken curry for all and i can say to sue who made it, that was really nice and welcomed.

Linda started with some mod/club classics. thanks linda for the intriques, one of the first records i ever purchaced.

Steve has d`jed in places i could only dream about and his skills were evident to me. his knowledge and a huge collection are a great starter for10.loads of great tunes played and i really liked the james carr.

newman (gra) did a 70`s spot to be proud of but also played some mouthwatering sixties to a very appreciative dancefloor.sorry if this is getting like a school report but i have to single out kev kent/kent kev. In addition to supplying some awsome kit to produce a cracking sound his spot was just as the soul doctor would order.kev knows the kent/sussex scene and beyond(orig northants)and i`ve got say sorry mate but your wasted down there,.,.,.,no, not wasted because you are needed but underused. kev give me a call when you get to spain and set up that soul club, then the weekender(nothing like pressure eh kev but lovely to meet you). i couldn`t believe it was 30 years since i`ve heard the lovemasters and the awesome Joe L-worried. kev i`ve got a remedy for your bad back.Just give me them horrible heavy records you have to carry around. denmac

Oh yes a play list.

la la la la la i love you-the ceasars

hey its love-the commands

hey its love-T K O`s

dancefloor not that busy so it`s hit the safesoul alarm and play,

my love is your love- isleys

baby dont waste my time-gladys knight

requests coming in now-R-n-B.

talkin woman-lowell fulsom

i wanna talk to you-creations

time to get up to date`ish

smile-neo

everyday-sunburst band

a request for looking for you-kirk franklin

this is what you are-wasabee

(great responce) followed by a tune that hit took the place higher,

you`ve gotta have freedom-uptown funk empire

at this point someone said; are you playing this new stuff allnight !!!!!! kinel we only had 15 mins left.

she`s my woman-sai whatt

mighty lover-the mighty lovers

i`d think it over-sam fletcher

if this is goodbye- harry and the kavaras.

finally i`ve got to say abig thanks to tim for the lift home. it was great hearing about his dad, a jazz playing truck driver. what a character. thanks again to sussex soul club.

Den, what a pleasure & privelage to have your knowledge down our way & many thanks for taking the time to post such an informed review. Your music is also much needed down here & I have no doubt we shall be calling on your services again in the very near future.. :g:

Also, a HUGE thanks to Linda & Kev for getting us off on the 'good foot' for our opening night! Both of your sets were immaculate, as always +

the sound system was in a word, perfect + much appreciated [i know, that's 3]!

The birthday boy, Newman [Gra] did do a cracking job of keeping the dancers buzzing with some choice cuts - only shame; I was exiled to the 'Siberian door duty' by you-know-who for most of it :thumbsup:

When I next get a chance to re-organize my box, I'll put up a playlist!

Steve.

Playlist:

Drifters - You Got Pay Your Dues

Ho Happy Day - Flame N King & The Bold Ones

Moments - Nine Times

The Lost Family - Blow My Mind

Rich Sheppard - Can We Share It

The Naturals - Colour Him Father

Ann Sexton - You've Been Gone Too Long

Mandrill - Too Late

Bettye Swann - Kiss My Love Goodbye

Ruby Andrews - Just Loving You

Ace Spectrum - Don't Send Nobody Else

Bobby Sheen - Something New To Do

Brown Sugar - The Game Is Over

The Voices Of East Harlem - Cashing In

Edward Hamilton - Baby Don't You Weep

Jr Walker & The All Stars - What Does It Take (To Win Your Love)

Herbert Hunter - I Was Born To Love You

Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes - Get Out

Solomon King - This Beautiful Day

Johnny Sayles - I Can't Get Enough

Hi G,

Really good night I really enjoyed djing at this localish doo for me.

Great to see soulie friends I have not seen for awhile and to meet some new ones too, lovely venue, looking forward to the next one in March......... :D

Thanks to everyone who helped make this night happen you all know who you are...... :thumbsup:

Playlist to follow later tonight.

Linda

Thanks for the lift home Linda - it was much appreciated and for playing Brooks and Jerry :g:

All the best

Manus

Guest Dave Mortimore

We hope to see you all back again on March 21st.

Graham, Steve & Christie - Sussex Soul Club

. I hope to return to this one again, sometime in the near future with my wife Jan. The next one may be difficult as it clashes with The Crown in Southampton.

. The friendly crowd gave a nice laid back feel to the venue. The dancefloor was so easy to move around on, with the tune of the night for me being Rufus Wood - Before 2001. Thanks for the hospitable free curry from the back room, which kept my energy levels up.

. See you again in the future .. Dave Mortimore (Poole, Dorset)

Edited by Dave Mortimore

Pleasure, Dave - Honestly wasn't waiting on your post, just got round to typing out my playlist & saw your kind words :lol: In no particular order [which really means I shoved them back in my box all over the place]! So, following on from Linda's great set:

James Carr - A Losing Game

Rufus Wood - Before 2001

The Vonettes - Touch My Heart

Barbar Mercer - My Dear Heart

Eddi Kendricks - Date With The Rain

Nolan Porter - If I Could Only be Sure

Darrell Banks - I'm The One Who Loves You

Barbara Hall - You Brought It On Yourself

Wales Wallace - Somebody I Know

Marvin Gaye - Come Get To This

Bobby Womack & Brotherhood - Home Is Where The Heart Is

Luther - Don't Wanna Be A Fool

Leon Ware - What's Your Name

Lloyd Price - Love Music

Bobby Hutton - Lend A Hand

Jimmy Ruffin - Tell Me What You Want

Judy Freeman & Blackrock - Hold On

Patti Jo - Make Me Believe In You

Sunfire - Step In The light

Michael Baker - Don't You Want My Love

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your hospitality and for asking me to play on the opening nite of your new venue (and for being my unpaid roadies :P ).

A nice little venue with a good floor - and a really cheap nite with drinks policy. A pretty good turn out too for an opening nite and I'm sure you will go from strength to strength with this one.

You aimed to make this "across the board" and I reckon you truly delivered on that front, rather than just leave it as a carte blanche play policy for each individual dj. :lol:

If anyone really wants me to type out my playlist (slowly) I will, but in the meantime most of my plays are on this link:

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/flags/playlist#

Unfortunately not in order 'cos this is technology and it always goes wrong for me. Only exception is Chuck Jackson replacing Frank Beverly as I couldn't find a soundclip.

- Kev.

ohmy.gif Just out of interest - has anyone used this link successfully?

I gather there's been problems for some.

Cheers,

Kev.

:P Just out of interest - has anyone used this link successfully?

I gather there's been problems for some.

Cheers,

Kev.

Well, as requested here's my playlist. More or less in order, and with 1 unintentional repeat from earlier in the night blush.gif (sorry Graham);

OH BABY DON'T YOU WEEP.....LUTHER INGRAM.....kENT SELECT

JOHNNY MY BOY.....AD LIBS.....BLUE CAT

I'LL TRY.....SAM & BILL.....DECCA

CRYING HEART.....INCREDIBLES.....AUDIO ARTS

LOVE ME.....BOBBY HEBB.....PHILIPS

YOU GOT IT BABY.....VOLUMES.....INFERNO demo

BINGO!.....DYNAMICS.....WINGATE (labelled Dynamics - but really the Dramatics)

YOU GOT IT.....DEALERS.....BIG BUNNY

PUSHIN' AND PULLIN'.....LOVEMASTERS.....JACKLYN

LOVE BRINGS PAIN.....COOKIE JACKSON.....UPTOWN

(I'M NOT GONNA BE) WORRIED.....JOE-L.....CLISSAC

CALL ON ME.....PRESENTATIONS.....AMERICAN MUSIC MAKERS

IF THAT'S WHAT YOU WANTED.....FRANK BEVERLY & THE BUTLERS.....SASSY

WAIT TILL I GET TO KNOW YA.....BOBBY TREETOP.....TUFF

THE MAGIC TOUCH.....BOBBY FULLER FOUR.....MUSTANG

TEMPTATION IS CALLING MY NAME.....LEE DAVID.....COLUMBIA demo

I SURRENDER.....EDDIE HOLMAN.....ABC

YOU CAN'T GO.....LONNIE LESTER.....NU-TONE

I'M STUCK ON MY BABY.....IRENE & THE SCOTTS.....SMASH

RUNNING FOR MY LIFE.....ROSCOE SHELTON.....SOUND STAGE 7 demo

I'VE GOT A FEELING.....BABY WASHINGTON.....SUE

CAST A SPELL.....TURNPIKES.....CAPITOL

I CAN'T GET ENOUGH.....JOHNNY SAYLES.....ST LAWRENCE

I CAN'T GET OVER LOSING YOUR LOVE.....INCREDIBLES.....AUDIO ARTS

BECAUSE OF YOU.....JACKIE WILSON.....BRUNSWICK

I AIN'T PLAYING BABY.....TAURUS & LEO.....VELVET SOUND

...Or you could have just asked Moldie who was deck hovering and label spotting again :lol:

-Kevin

kev that was one great play list. did i know most of them? no. thats what makes it a great playlist in my view.mouldie? is that the guy who looked shocked when i said the track i was playing was only a tenner.(wasabee)he did scribble down the funk track you`ve got have freedom. And he requested kirk franklin. so stop giving him a hard time. kev,, what was that ramsey lewis cover up, something about a peir. pm me.

kev that was one great play list. did i know most of them? no. thats what makes it a great playlist in my view.mouldie? is that the guy who looked shocked when i said the track i was playing was only a tenner.(wasabee)he did scribble down the funk track you`ve got have freedom. And he requested kirk franklin. so stop giving him a hard time. kev,, what was that ramsey lewis cover up, something about a peir. pm me.

LOL, Den - I have that Wasabee 12 too - bought it for the flipside.. for a certain party in Hollywood :rolleyes:

Den, thanks again for those kind words.

Don't you worry about Moldie though - he's a good mate and always gives more than he gets! So much so that unfortunately he has lost the right of reply on this forum.

I've PM'd you the track details mate

Have a good'un at Willington this weekend.

- Kev.

Edited by KevinKent

Source Advert