You'd Never Get Away With It Nowadays

Guest Bicks

"The reason why I'm leaving

You don't even fix my dinner in the evening

Don't even iron my pants and shirt

Girl I'm getting on out of this dirt"

Dave Love - 'Baby Hard Times'

The whole of 'First I Look at the Purse' - The Contours

Can anybody think of any other NON-PC gems from soul records that would never see the light of day in these more 'enlightened' times?

Even the girls were at it:

"For every bit of hurt I put you through, I'm hurting too

Maybe baby much more than you"

Kim Weston - 'You Hit Me'

Hang on...SHE gets caught with another fella and SHE'S the hurt party, how does that work (wouldn't be surprised to hear that this was originally written for a bloke).

Social source share

• Replies 73
  • Views 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

"You'd Never Get Away with It Nowadays". Thou's obviously not a Yorkshire man

How dare you?????? :P Born and bred, and mighty proud of it too. thumbup.gif

Social source share

"Have Love Will Travel" - Rosey Jones

The first instance of a bespoke gigolo service being advertised on record.

"I'm known across the country,

As lovemaker No.1,

So if you need some lovin' baby,

then you called the right one

"Have love will travel,

That's how I got my name,

lovin' is my business,

lovin' is my game"

"You'd Better Keep Her" - Marvin Holmes & Justice

Marvin extolling the virtues of old-fashioned female values......

"Thank You John" - Willie Tee

Willie Tee extolling the virtues of pimping in New Orleans.......

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

laugh.gif:P:wicked: "Get out in that kitchen and rattle those pots and pans" :hypo:

Or the original Joe Turner version - 'I'm like a one eyed cat peeping in a seafood store....' - Bill Haley NEVER uttered that verse :)

Social source share

Can anybody think of any other NON-PC gems from soul records that would never see the light of day in these more 'enlightened' times?

Hang on...SHE gets caught with another fella and SHE'S the hurt party, how does that work (wouldn't be surprised to hear that this was originally written for a bloke).

Skullsnaps-I,m your pimp-GSF and may I say, what a great record.

Kev

Social source share

Or the original Joe Turner version - 'I'm like a one eyed cat peeping in a seafood store....' - Bill Haley NEVER uttered that verse biggrin.gif

Actually Jo, I'm sure he did! The verse that Bill Haley amended to comply with good taste was originally:

You wear those dresses, the sun comes shinin' through,

You wear those dresses, the sun comes shinin' though,

I can't believe all that mess belongs to you........

Pretty sure that's how it went. The 'one eyed cat' line was overlooked for some reason!

Social source share

Guest Awake 502

"You'd Never Get Away with It Nowadays". Thou's obviously not a Yorkshire man

Three men were sitting together bragging about how they had given their new wives duties.

The first man had married a woman from Albania, and bragged that he had told his wife she was going to do all the dishes and house cleaning that needed doing at their home. He said that it took a couple days but on the third day he came home to a clean house and the dishes were all washed and put away.

The second man had married a woman from Brazil. He bragged that he had

told his wife she was going to do all the cleaning, dishes, and the

cooking. He told them that the first day he didn't see any results, but the next day it was better. By the third day, his house was clean, the dishes were done, and he had a huge dinner on the table.

The third man had married a Yorkshire lass. He boasted that he told her that her duties were to keep the house cleaned, dishes washed, lawn mowed, laundry washed and hot food on the table for every meal. He said the first day he didn't see anything, the second day he didn't see anything, but by the third day most of the swelling had gone down and he could see a little out of his left eye.

Social source share

Guest andyrattigan

Earl Grant- Hide nor Hair

"WELL I WAITED FOR A 24 HOURS AND i WAS JUST ABOUT TO STARVE TO DEATH, IT DIDNT LOOK LIKE SHE WAS COMING BACK SO I HAD TO LOOK OUT FOR MYSELF."

Lazy git!!!!

Social source share

my favorite is garland green "don't think I'm a violent guy", the monologue part where he's like "I hit you so light, it wouldn't even make a baby cry!" and that's not even the only song on the album about beating up people.

Social source share

Not Northern Soul by

Gary Pucket and the union gap - Young Girl.

I've often wondered about this one yet it still gets loads of plays on the radio, does nobody listen to the lyrics or am I reading too much into it????

Social source share

I've often wondered about this one yet it still gets loads of plays on the radio, does nobody listen to the lyrics or am I reading too much into it????

Surprised that a record that blatantly deals with under-age sex relationships even still gets played 41 years after its release!

Social source share

Surprised that a record that blatantly deals with under-age sex relationships even still gets played 41 years after its release!

Well to be fair...she wouldn't really be underage now would she...so it would be ok to go there... :thumbsup::thumbup::thumbup:

Social source share

Well to be fair...she wouldn't really be underage now would she...so it would be ok to go there... :thumbup::thumbup::D

In that case it could be "your much too old girl"

How about Flower Shopp " you,ve come a long way baby"

there,s a line in it about hair begining to grow below her waist! :thumbsup:

Social source share

my favorite is garland green "don't think I'm a violent guy", the monologue part where he's like "I hit you so light, it wouldn't even make a baby cry!" and that's not even the only song on the album about beating up people.
Was actually going to mention "Jealous kinda fella" boba where he "punched that guy last night" I think in this day and age old Garland would have been issued with an ASBO.

Kev

Social source share

Or the original Joe Turner version - 'I'm like a one eyed cat peeping in a seafood store....' - Bill Haley NEVER uttered that verse :D

:thumbup::thumbsup:

Not northern soul I know.........but it may slip in under the umberella of R&B room acceptable :thumbup:

Etta James - 7 Day Fool - - - - now that woman knew how to look after her man :D

Social source share

"You can have with my husband, but please don't mess with man"

I think that has more bearing on todays society then when it first came out!! :thumbsup:

Social source share

What about Big Boy Arthur Crudup "She's Got No Hair". It goes somewhere along the lines of "Hey look at her she got no hair, hey look at her she got no hair". I cannot find the lyrics, but there's a bit in the song where it says "her wig fell off and she had no hair at all."

Suz :thumbsup:

x

Social source share

Or the original Joe Turner version - 'I'm like a one eyed cat peeping in a seafood store....' - Bill Haley NEVER uttered that verse :thumbsup:

As you will know , that line disguises what the " OEC " and the " SS " really are ...........

As inuedos go , Billy Watkins and " The Ice Man " .........

Malc Burton

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!