Killer 30 Second Intro

Guest Bicks

I'm trying to find THE killer 30 second intro.

Rules are that it must be 30 seconds before the vocals start (a couple of doo be doo's are acceptable, but no lyrics).

I realise that most of the tunes on here must be around the 3 minute mark so to use a sixth of the track with an intro would be quite brave but let's see.

It could be that it's an instrumental anyway, that's fine too, but I want something that really gets going from the off no messing.

Social source share

• Replies 85
  • Views 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Rules are that it must be 30 seconds before the vocals start (a couple of doo be doo's are acceptable, but no lyrics).

I realise that most of the tunes on here must be around the 3 minute mark so to use a sixth of the track with an intro would be quite brave but let's see.

It could be that it's an instrumental anyway, that's fine too, but I want something that really gets going from the off no messing.

How about 'look on the good side' - Invitations , not timed it but its fairly lengthy - Best 70's intro - ever

M.

:thumbsup:

Edited by MarkWhiteley
Social source share

How about 'look on the good side' - Invitations , not timed it but its fairly lengthy - Best 70's intro - ever

M.

:thumbsup:

It's a good start, I like it, and at 57 seconds easily long enough....maybe a tad slow though??? :g:

Social source share

the longest intro that I hear weekly on commercial radio is lamont dozier's trying to hold on to my woman, the intro is way better than the song.

another good one is tom brock - if we can't make it then nobody can. and the lp version of i wanna do something freaky to you. i guess lots of 70s commercial soul was all about long intros.

Social source share

Guest familytree

How about the most powerful 3 second into on Marvins 'lets get it on'....... so little can say so much, its genius!

Social source share

Guest familytree

Harold Melvin & The Bluenotes - The Love I Lost

or

Tommy Hunt- Lovin' On The Losing Side

take your pick :thumbup:

Seriously though, crackin intro,

Carol

Im with you on Harold Melvin!... beautiful intro x

Social source share

Hold back the night 'The Trammps'

Social source share

The Del-Larks-Job Opening.......almost 30 seconds

Steve Karmen,featuring Jimmy Radcliffe- Breakaway........25 seconds

mark

Edited by mark spensley
Social source share

Guest soul city

only a 15 sec intro but 'the salvadors, stick by me baby' is one intro you cant ignore. :lol:

(oops!) :thumbup:

Edited by soul city
Social source share

Can I ask WHY? unsure.gif:ohmy::lol: Good thread - but is there a wider purpose? :lol:

Salvadors for me as noted above - forget the 30 sec rule :lol:

Richard

Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

Can't be ars*d getting the record out to time it, but the intro to Willie Pickett's 'On the Stage of Life' is one powerful piece of instrumental, definitely grabs your attention; and if you like the start of the record, you get second helpings of it towards the end.

Great tune.

Social source share

Can I ask WHY? unsure.gif:ohmy::lol: Good thread - but is there a wider purpose? :lol:

Salvadors for me as noted above - forget the 30 sec rule :lol:

Richard

A couple of reasons.

I like to make compilations for the car on different themes and intros is my new project

I've always loved songs with good intros, whether Northern or not, as it really sets up the song - Hard Days Night, Desire by U2 etc. and Soul tunes particularly 60's stuff do seem to excel, but as I said before their short length generally means a good short intro, some of my faves are Move On Up (14 secs), Burning Sensation (8 secs), Countdown Here I Come (14 secs), Too Late (15 secs), Shirley and the Shirelles - Look What You've Done to my Heart (builds up to a crescendo at 22 secs), Just a Little Misunderstanding (23 secs) and Gladys Knight-No One Can Love You More (er....0secs). So none of them reaches 30 secs.

Second reason involves a mobile phone......and a high profile Premiership footballer.

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

The greatest intro of ALL musical genres of ALL time seems to fit your criteria.

i.e. I Want You Back by the Jackson 5.

Allowing for a couple of "Uh Hu's" and a "Let me tell you" - the intro is EXACTLY 30 seconds - of PURE MAGIC.

If you don't have a copy to hand go Here and click on the arrow on the right hand side of the page.

MB

Edited by MBarrett
Social source share

As ya say 30sec intro on a Northern record not easy, but give or take a sec Dee Dee Sharp's "What Kind Of Lady" is one, and if ya dont count the ramblings and Ooooerrr Brooks and Jerry is almost a min before they actually start singing....no wonder they made part 1 and part 2 (and part 3 if they had time) :thumbsup:

steve

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!