Steve Phyllis

Many years ago, When I was first working as a presenter on Radio Trent, (was there for a long time) I did a show, cant remember whether it was an outright soul and Motown thing, but I did play a few lesser known (to many folk) tracks.

Strange coincidence here is that I was at my mums house the other day, and found this A4 sheet of paper that was full on both sides, from a guy that was, to say the least, being very enthusiastic about what I had played!

Wierder still, I hadnt really taken an awful lot of notice to his name, until yesterday, when I picked up the letter, read it through again, to find it was from non other than Steve Phyllis.

Now it must have been over 25 years ago that he wrote it, and in the latter part of that, he would have been playing at the same venue as me, albeit in a different room!

If you know Steve, point him at this post please, or if its you Steve, do get in touch again, its been ages since I had fan mail like that!!!

Social source share

• Replies 12
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Many years ago, When I was first working as a presenter on Radio Trent, (was there for a long time) I did a show, cant remember whether it was an outright soul and Motown thing, but I did play a few lesser known (to many folk) tracks.

Strange coincidence here is that I was at my mums house the other day, and found this A4 sheet of paper that was full on both sides, from a guy that was, to say the least, being very enthusiastic about what I had played!

Wierder still, I hadnt really taken an awful lot of notice to his name, until yesterday, when I picked up the letter, read it through again, to find it was from non other than Steve Phyllis.

Now it must have been over 25 years ago that he wrote it, and in the latter part of that, he would have been playing at the same venue as me, albeit in a different room!

If you know Steve, point him at this post please, or if its you Steve, do get in touch again, its been ages since I had fan mail like that!!!

he is on here as speedlimit
Social source share

Guest malc gibbons

HI CRAIG,

I DON,T KNOW IF ITS THE SAME STEVE PHILLIS WE ALL KNOW

IN THIS NECK OF THE WOODS,BUT HE WILL BE DJING AT WE

GOT SOUL AT WELLINGBOROUGH WORKING MENS CLUB ON

FRIDAY 13TH FEBRUARY WITH TONY WARROT AND SAM MOORE

I WILL PASS ON THE INFORMATION.CHEERS MATE

Social source share

HI CRAIG,

I DON,T KNOW IF ITS THE SAME STEVE PHILLIS WE ALL KNOW

IN THIS NECK OF THE WOODS,BUT HE WILL BE DJING AT WE

GOT SOUL AT WELLINGBOROUGH WORKING MENS CLUB ON

FRIDAY 13TH FEBRUARY WITH TONY WARROT AND SAM MOORE

I WILL PASS ON THE INFORMATION.CHEERS MATE

I reckon it is, I also know, and work the same venue as Sam!

Social source share

hi Craig,

can remember you from Trent, b4 GEM, also remember Len Groat? doing a soul show, taped it once when he had Cliff "Cadillac" and "Silent" Sandra on as guests, think it was his last show. Cliff and Sandra still out and about at loads of do's.

Pretty sure you used to train with a mate of mine, Tony Ellis from Kirkby, if memory serves me well, if not, forget last bit

cheers

steve

Social source share

Steve, is that Mr Phylis? I ask cos I thought your name on here was something different to that?

Anyway, it looks like you know more about me than \ do you, as you mention me training!

Ill assume that you are talking about training at Pinxton with Dave Hague?

Len G now lives in Portugal, and the other 2 you mentioned were on Lens rock n roll show.

Speaking of stuff r n r in all the time i was aware of Wayne Kennedy, its only recently I learnt of his love of soul music.

Social source share

'fraid not Craig, know Steve but not seen him for a while;

can remember getting him to play a request for Mike Hunt when he was djing at Astoria, few years back that.

Tony Ellis used to be my business partner and he trained with Haguey and can remember him saying you did as well while you was at radio Trent.

was at Peoples College when likes of Jon Peters and Dale Winton were there, drinking dinner times in Royal Children.

Cliff and Sandra well known round East Mids and still get about despite Cliff struggling with walking at moment.

Not seen wayne for few years now, was at Mansfield above Co-op few years back, somewhere up Mapperley Top before that.

you should be able to find Steve Phyllis from his name here and send him pm.

cheers

steve (smith)

Steve, is that Mr Phylis? I ask cos I thought your name on here was something different to that?

Anyway, it looks like you know more about me than \ do you, as you mention me training!

Ill assume that you are talking about training at Pinxton with Dave Hague?

Len G now lives in Portugal, and the other 2 you mentioned were on Lens rock n roll show.

Speaking of stuff r n r in all the time i was aware of Wayne Kennedy, its only recently I learnt of his love of soul music.

Social source share

Thanks Steve, re Haguey, when I put Pinxton, I meant Selston, although his main dojo is now elsewhere.

As for the Royal Kids, ive had a few too many in there, although its not as good as it used to be, in fact, I organised an unofficial Radio Trent 33rd birthday doo last July, July July, ( sorry, I couldnt resist that, I assume you know what I mean!)

and we ended up there, John Peters, Jeff Cooper, Paul Robey, and some of the backroom boys.

Social source share

Steve is on at the Bank Holiday Easter alldayer advertised on here Craig, also in All Our Yesterdays, flyer on page 2 with his name on it.

only saw Haguey once when i saw my mate train, know they compulsary purchased his house from next to motorway bridge to knock it down, then sold it again later.

cheers

steve

Social source share

• 1 month later...

Hi Craig

As i remember iwas working nights at D.S.L in long eaton at the time you where doing a late night show one fridat and playing stuff like paul anka " can't help loving you " moses smith "girl across the street" i sent you a letter about the show with afew request's and a tape of some at the time unreleased motown acetate's i had got from a contact in the states . since then i have D.Jed at the same venue on two ocassions once was the palias revivel nights that kev ran then again i was on at ilkeston co.op in the rare room . I now live in Huntingdon cambs with my wife who i met at ilkeston co.op i still d.j. at various soul night in east anglia and did the brit allnighter at christmas will be at the notts palias revival alldayer in april

atb steve phillis :thumbup::lol:

Social source share

Hi Craig

As i remember iwas working nights at D.S.L in long eaton at the time you where doing a late night show one fridat and playing stuff like paul anka " can't help loving you " moses smith "girl across the street" i sent you a letter about the show with afew request's and a tape of some at the time unreleased motown acetate's i had got from a contact in the states . since then i have D.Jed at the same venue on two ocassions once was the palias revivel nights that kev ran then again i was on at ilkeston co.op in the rare room . I now live in Huntingdon cambs with my wife who i met at ilkeston co.op i still d.j. at various soul night in east anglia and did the brit allnighter at christmas will be at the notts palias revival alldayer in april

atb steve phillis :thumbup::P

Hi there,'scuse me for butting in here,are you the same Steve Phyllis who used to work for Rob Smith...? if so,can you pm me....ta ! :thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!