New Weekly Allnighter Starting

Sunnysoul

Guest familytree

Well i didn't go to the same venue every week even when i was young, it was a different nighter and maybe an alldayer as well every weekend, so what makes you think young people will today?

It's bugger all to do with age, there are plenty of people of our age (Dave Rimmer for example) who go somewhere different every weekend, it's to do with plenty of competing venues. When there are so many great places to go, who wants to spend their saturdays at the same venue every week?

Well if there are 1,500 of these Dave Rimmer characters then perhaps there is a chance... so you need about 6,000 Dave Rimmers circulating then maybe this 1,500 capacity club could be filled every week allowing Mr Rimmer to visit once a month? (no offence to Dave, just using you as an example as you are mentioned x)

Your friends are obviously more energetic than mine, we certainly dont go out every week anymore but when I was younger I went to wigan most saturdays, Yate for a while, dayers etc... cassinellis 3 times a week (it was local) so I would still say it has EVERYTHING to do with age.. in my case for sure and I thought we do ok for going out, obviously not.. If the club is good enough and your young enough you go to it until the novelty wears off. Thats how it worked for me and mine anyway. Why keep searchin for the holy grail if you have found it?

Edited by familytree
Social source share

• Replies 69
  • Views 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

A hypothetical here.

Let's just say that a major new weekly allnighter starts up, and, for the sake of the discussion, it is centrally located in either London or Manchester.

Let's say that it's a top venue, 1,500 capacity, with all the right facilities.

Let's also say that most of the generally respected DJ's play there each week covering the whole rare soul spectrum and pleasing everybody's tastes in soul.

The question is: would you attend every week ... more or less ???

No need to comment whether you think such a weekly allnighter would ever work in the present day and age, or that it wouldn't even get off the ground these days for whatever reason.

Just answer the question: would you attend each week and support it ???

This post has been edited by sunnysoul: Jan 13 09, 02:13 PM

Don't you live in Australia sunnysoul ? :lol:

Social source share

Guest BigPaul

Afraid gotta go with the No's on this. Im out and about, 45 weeks ish in the Year

sometimes doing 2 niters and a couple of chosen Soul Nites on the way. Still impossible

to attend all the events,i would like to, due to date clashes, the choice out there etc.

Logistics and unforseen glliches also play a big part eg. Was going to attend Wilton Niter

last Fri but my other alf broke her arm and wrist, so dutifully stayed away and looked

after her (some Brownie points there methinks). Plus she dont give me a deal of flack

and will attend Soul Nites, but wont do a Niter :lol:

Cant wait for Burnley tonight :lol:

A Few Reasons why its a no, just my opinion only

Some folk wont travel, full stop

Some dont have Transport

People are set in there ways

Happy with what venues they already attend

Family ties

Money

Politics

The list is endless

Social source share

Still a no from me I think.

Putting a niter on weekly with free admission and paying DJ's that sort of cash?... well you'd have the support of many 'mercenary' DJ's I guess but crickey - you'd be 'swimming with the fishes' in no time... (so to speak) :(

Does make me wonder though, when you mention big DJ fee's.. Imagine if the soul scene got like the premiership - someone with the cash to support their idea

came in from outside the current scene and decided they wanted to be the biggest and the best promoter or run the biggest and best club, would the folks on the scene see through it? would people care?.. Could it happen?... g.gif

sorry - OT. ph34r.gif

Jayne.

Good idea.

I'll fund it for the first couple of months. Anyone else??

Phil

Social source share

Good idea.

I'll fund it for the first couple of months. Anyone else??

Phil

Maybe abramovich will fancy a crack at it when he gets bored with chelsea.. smile.gif

Jayne.x

Social source share

Well i didn't go to the same venue every week even when i was young, it was a different nighter and maybe an alldayer as well every weekend, so what makes you think young people will today?

It's bugger all to do with age, there are plenty of people of our age (Dave Rimmer for example) who go somewhere different every weekend, it's to do with plenty of competing venues. When there are so many great places to go, who wants to spend their saturdays at the same venue every week?

thumbup.gif ..............altho the heart is willing the body is weak...........would love to, but too many other places to visit,

Russ

Social source share

The scene doesn't need a weekly all-nighter at the same venue. The scene already has several well run all-nighters that more or less cater for everyone. I also doubt you would get 1500 bodies into an all-night venue every week. The hard core all-nighter crowd is probably 3/400.

Social source share

Don't you live in Australia sunnysoul ? huh.gif

I was just thinking "NO WAY" to attending a weekly do in the same venue, but remember I did do it in the late 80s. The difference was that I danced all night back then, so where I was didn't matter - and it was the only soul venue in the whole big city anyway. Nothing was on in the rural areas either, unlike in the UK.

...The irony is, that the guy who started this thread - used to run it :D .

m

Social source share

surprised no ones mention sheridans

maybe doesnt fit in with most of the original post requirements , size etc

and can't remember all the exact details but it did put on a weekly allnighter maybe two sometimes didnt it?

There was at least one all-nighter every week. These sometimes ran for two days mind :thumbsup:

Social source share

Maybe abramovich will fancy a crack at it when he gets bored with chelsea.. :thumbsup:

Jayne.x

Shouldn't be too much.

Coupla grand a pop at first maybe?

Then the investment can be recouped by doing a deal with the venue after it's proved itself out of the profits made over the bar.

I am sure that any "good" venue would cover DJ costs, give the place for free AND pay the promoter a few quid once it's a going concern.

Anyone fancy a punt?

Phil

Social source share

Guest bazrico

A hypothetical here.

Let's just say that a major new weekly allnighter starts up, and, for the sake of the discussion, it is centrally located in either London or Manchester.

Let's say that it's a top venue, 1,500 capacity, with all the right facilities.

Let's also say that most of the generally respected DJ's play there each week covering the whole rare soul spectrum and pleasing everybody's tastes in soul.

The question is: would you attend every week ... more or less ???

No need to comment whether you think such a weekly allnighter would ever work in the present day and age, or that it wouldn't even get off the ground these days for whatever reason.

Just answer the question: would you attend each week and support it ???

This post has been edited by sunnysoul: Jan 13 09, 02:13 PM

Don't you live in Australia sunnysoul ? :unsure:

simple answer NO i like a change as variety is the spice of life

Social source share

But wasn't it different soul clubs using the same venue?

Why anyone would want to put an all nighter on every week is beyond me? Just think about all the other great venues they'd miss out on.

Yes Joan it was different soul clubs and thats why it worked probably.

Same club week in week out would give you less choice, who would decide which DJ's merit the opportunity to DJ at a weekly event. Would it get the support of the various promoters and DJ's who would be pushed out of the picture if their venue(s) suffered? Said it before too many don't care about the bigger picture or the greater good of the scene just themselves for there to be any serious amount of unity on the scene.

Said it earlier there is plenty of choice already on the all-nighter scene with several well run and well attended all-nighters.

Social source share

Shouldn't be too much.

Coupla grand a pop at first maybe?

Then the investment can be recouped by doing a deal with the venue after it's proved itself out of the profits made over the bar.

I am sure that any "good" venue would cover DJ costs, give the place for free AND pay the promoter a few quid once it's a going concern.

Anyone fancy a punt?

Phil

Crickey Phil, I reckon it'd cost you a bit more than that, and you'd need more than one venue..

Jayne.x

Social source share

Crickey Phil, I reckon it'd cost you a bit more than that, and you'd need more than one venue..

Jayne.x

I don't think so. Coupla grand or so a week would do it.

Why would you need more than one venue?

The whole point of a weekly venue would be to have one venue, surely?

I remember when I was promoting a lot back in the late 80's early 90's, used to run sometimes 6 all-niters a month and the constant request was for just one venue every week. Admittedly it may be very different now.

I'm not thinking of having a go though :lol: Too many other stuff going on. Maybe when I retire in 3 or 4 years though .....

Social source share

I don't think so. Coupla grand or so a week would do it.

Not a chance phil ,you couldnt even get a decent venue for that these days. A club that holds 1500 badged door staff etc ,the hire fee would be high because bar takeings would be low compared to other events a club of that size could hold and thats just the start of it.The dj line up would be immpossible to sort out and these days the only successful niters are on bi monthly at the most,its never gonna happen,variety is the spice of life these days.

Edited by Soultown andy
Social source share

Not a chance phil ,you couldnt even get a decent venue for that these days. A club that holds 1500 badged door staff etc ,the hire fee would be high because bar takeings would be low compared to other events a club of that size could hold and thats just the start of it.The dj line up would be immpossible to sort out and these days the only successful niters are on bi monthly at the most,its never gonna happen,variety is the spice of life these days.

sadly so, they're more interested in ripping off couples wanting to pay waaaay over the odds for weddings or any function that involves a dinner.

maybe the way forward is to start from scratch, buy you're own building and go from there taylor made for Northern Soul......would be one heck of a project though..

Jayne.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert