Kgb Sheffield

Guest Leemingschosen2

Made a rare trip home to my birthplace on Saturday from rural North Yorkshire and decided to sample one of the few remaining original venues from the Eddie Waring era. The club is located under the decaying splendor of the old ABC cinema in Abbeydale. I have always liked clubs where you go down or up a staircase to get in and so I descended into the bowels of the earth drooling with anticipation.

The club had the feel of a New York prohibition era speakeasy and was decorated with genuinely interesting soul memrobilia (poster for all 70's dayers at Cleggy etc). The playlist was mostly quality oldies (e.g. Richie Adams) and the dancefloor was full for most of the night.

For an oldies night the crowd were a reasonably eclectic bunch. No wigan themed Fred Perrys! and a large age range with the younger age group well represented. I think this probably reflects the cosmopolitan nature of the city these days as several of the younger punters looked a bit 'arty' (god this is getting pretentious!) Some great dancers including a young acrobatic DJ, this amazing looking guy with a 3/4 length coat on and a really sexy tashe and a goergous woman with a beehive!

KGB is on every month (2nd Saturday) and makes a change from your average soul night.

держите веру

Comrade Moustache and Madame Beehive (Northallerton Soul Club)

• Replies 7
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Made a rare trip home to my birthplace on Saturday from rural North Yorkshire and decided to sample one of the few remaining original venues from the Eddie Waring era. The club is located under the decaying splendor of the old ABC cinema in Abbeydale. I have always liked clubs where you go down or up a staircase to get in and so I descended into the bowels of the earth drooling with anticipation.

The club had the feel of a New York prohibition era speakeasy and was decorated with genuinely interesting soul memrobilia (poster for all 70's dayers at Cleggy etc). The playlist was mostly quality oldies (e.g. Richie Adams) and the dancefloor was full for most of the night.

For an oldies night the crowd were a reasonably eclectic bunch. No wigan themed Fred Perrys! and a large age range with the younger age group well represented. I think this probably reflects the cosmopolitan nature of the city these days as several of the younger punters looked a bit 'arty' (god this is getting pretentious!) Some great dancers including a young acrobatic DJ, this amazing looking guy with a 3/4 length coat on and a really sexy tashe and a goergous woman with a beehive!

KGB is on every month (2nd Saturday) and makes a change from your average soul night.

держите веру

Comrade Moustache and Madame Beehive (Northallerton Soul Club)

I remebr going to the original nights at the KGB run by Nev Wherey. We'd go to the warm up first , then out for fish and chips and back in for the nighter laugh.gif I've even still got my original KGB membership card from about 78 if I recall....how sad is that :lol:

Andy

Guest Barry Holland

bit like this andy ! .... Nev sig on it too, sadly missed sad.gif .. Barry & Ann are two lovely old friends who run it now, i have not been ther since the niters, must give it a visit though, since i did promise Barry n' Ann a few months ago !

Cheers Pete, would be great to see you both soon. Next KGB is Feb 14th. Keep The Faith.

kgb.jpg

Pete n' Susan KTF

Oh man, I always miss that night! I need a reminder..

REMINDER; ITS THE 2ND SATURDAY EACH MONTH

THEREFORE THE NEXT ONE IS ON........................

14TH FEBRUARY 2009

only trying to help - chuss! :thumbsup: