Guest hipcityhipster

• Replies 9
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest TONY ROUNCE

It's on a Stax LP "This Time Around" from 1981, although some people reckon "Trippin'" is an earlier recording... not sure what evidence supports this theory. SUCH a great track...

The evidence that the Staple Singers left Stax in 1975, supports that 'theory' rather conclusively.

It was recorded in 1974 and is actually an unfinished Mavis Staples solo recording rather than a Staple Singers track. Having seen the original multitrack tape box in the Fantasy vaults, I can confirm that absolutely.

The "This Time Around" album was made up of various cancelled singles and unissued and unfinished masters that the Staple Singers (and Mavis solo) cut between 1972 and 1974, and issued by Fantasy, who had bought the 'yellow' Stax catalogue in 1976 after the company went bankrupt.

Mavis hates "Trippin' On Your Love", by the way...

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

and I remember Phillip Mitchell telling me that although he wrote it specifically with Mavis in mind, how she could never get it down right despite him coaching her on the vocal over and over .....a good song, by the way, and Phillip's own version is pretty worthy too.

Social source share

The evidence that the Staple Singers left Stax in 1975, supports that 'theory' rather conclusively.

It was recorded in 1974 and is actually an unfinished Mavis Staples solo recording rather than a Staple Singers track. Having seen the original multitrack tape box in the Fantasy vaults, I can confirm that absolutely.

The "This Time Around" album was made up of various cancelled singles and unissued and unfinished masters that the Staple Singers (and Mavis solo) cut between 1972 and 1974, and issued by Fantasy, who had bought the 'yellow' Stax catalogue in 1976 after the company went bankrupt.

That's very interesting! Bought the album just for TOYL and never actually played the other tracks. Will dig it out and see what sort of stuff was considered not to be worth releasing in the 70s.

And TOYL being unfinished, I always thought it had a very sparce backing but that explains it now. But I think it suits Mavis' vocals rather fine.

Social source share

and I remember Phillip Mitchell telling me that although he wrote it specifically with Mavis in mind, how she could never get it down right despite him coaching her on the vocal over and over .....a good song, by the way, and Phillip's own version is pretty worthy too.

never heard phillip Mitchells version, is it a single or a LP track

regards

Ian

Social source share

never heard phillip Mitchells version, is it a single or a LP track

regards

Ian

Hi Ian

It was an unreleased 70s Muscle Shoals Sound recording - which I included on the CD 'Just The Beginning' - along with Phillip's version of many other great songs he wrote for other artists - released on Grapevine in 2004.

Copies still available at - www.garryjcape.com

Thanks

Garry

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Hi Ian

It was an unreleased 70s Muscle Shoals Sound recording - which I included on the CD 'Just The Beginning' - along with Phillip's version of many other great songs he wrote for other artists - released on Grapevine in 2004.

Copies still available at - www.garryjcape.com

Thanks

Garry

...and a thoroughly recommended purchase it is, too... thumbup.gif

Social source share

It's interesting to note that Phillip actually wrote the song but for some reason it's still mistakingly credited to Mike Smith and Linda Rice ...although I'm sure it was previously credited to Carl Smith and Mack Rice.

It's probably in dispute status since it made so much money from the Kenny Thomas, Arthur Miles and Way Of Life versions.

If I'd written that song, I'd want the credit ...and the money. :D

Paul

Edited by Paul
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!