Out Of The Past..70's Bootlegs

SHEFFSOUL

I'VE A LIST OF OOTP PRESSINGS/BOOTLEGS FROM 1974, & ALTHOUGH I'VE SEEN A FAIR FEW OVER THE YEARS DID ANY OF THE UNSEEN (BY ME ANYWAY) LIKE BRICE COEFIELD & MILTON WRIGHT EVER GET A RELEASE ON OOTP? ALSO DID ANY APPEAR ON BOTH IMPRINTS, THE SHOOTING STAR & PLAIN WHITE LABEL, ANY OTHER INFO PLUS SCANS WOULD BE GREAT, THANKS

Social source share

• Replies 40
  • Views 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I'VE A LIST OF OOTP PRESSINGS/BOOTLEGS FROM 1974, & ALTHOUGH I'VE SEEN A FAIR FEW OVER THE YEARS DID ANY OF THE UNSEEN (BY ME ANYWAY) LIKE BRICE COEFIELD & MILTON WRIGHT EVER GET A RELEASE ON OOTP? ALSO DID ANY APPEAR ON BOTH IMPRINTS, THE SHOOTING STAR & PLAIN WHITE LABEL, ANY OTHER INFO PLUS SCANS WOULD BE GREAT, THANKS

a very interesting bootleg lable for sure...

Sean Hampsey or Manny I think? has the full track listing...

Social source share

am sure i heard somewhere a while ago that the OOTP shootin stars label was totally independent to the plain white label, that they had nowt to do with each other ? not sure if theres any truth in that though

===

funny that ..was playing carl douglas - serving a sentence of life just yesterday

some good stuff on there.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I've got a niggling feeling I have these at my mothers, but they arent on the list

Chandlers - Your love makes me lonely on a brick red lable

Christine Cooper - Heartaches Away.

Social source share

I've got a niggling feeling I have these at my mothers, but they arent on the list

Chandlers - Your love makes me lonely on a brick red lable

Christine Cooper - Heartaches Away.

Think these will not be the same Label (series) Mikey!

There was a much later Out Of The Past with a Red label but these were not from the same source (ISC).

Cheers

Sean

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Think these will not be the same Label (series) Mikey!

There was a much later Out Of The Past with a Red label but these were not from the same source (ISC).

Cheers

Sean

That would make sense. I probably got them in a record shop in Gloucester in the late 70s early 80s.

Back in the days when i bought records from shops or off lists, in the hope they were the songs I had heard at do's.

Social source share

Velvettes - I got to find me somebody

my copy has a sorta click/jump near the end of the record. I was told this is the same on all of the OOTP pressings; is that correct?

Social source share

Velvettes - I got to find me somebody

my copy has a sorta click/jump near the end of the record. I was told this is the same on all of the OOTP pressings; is that correct?

Well someone sent back a copy I sold them because of this so it must be on all of them, I didn't realise that

Social source share

Well someone sent back a copy I sold them because of this so it must be on all of them, I didn't realise that

yes, a few had sound problems inc the debbie dean..I also remember buying ootp records at the Leeds soul festival allnighter for 20p each ,in fact £1 for a pack of 5 (sealed) i bought two packs & sold the doubles.I wonder what the rarest issues/least seen are?..

Social source share

Guest mel brat

===

funny that ..was playing carl douglas - serving a sentence of life just yesterday

some good stuff on there.

Well there WOULD be wouldn't there? - It's not difficult to bloody BOOTLEG "good stuff", is it now? :D

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

yes, a few had sound problems inc the debbie dean..I also remember buying ootp records at the Leeds soul festival allnighter for 20p each ,in fact £1 for a pack of 5 (sealed) i bought two packs & sold the doubles.I wonder what the rarest issues/least seen are?..

If you come across a white labelled OOTP 45 with a light brownish " tint " in places , these are the ones allegedly destroyed in the warehouse fire where they were stored , which coincided with the same time that CB was being asked about their validity .........

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Well there WOULD be wouldn't there? - It's not difficult to bloody BOOTLEG "good stuff", is it now? :D

records were bootleged, they continue to be bootleged, they probably will be bootleged in the future.

Perhaps it's time you accepted the fact and moved on - it is not healthy to hold on to the resentment against them :huh::unsure:

Social source share

Guest mel brat

records were bootleged, they continue to be bootleged, they probably will be bootleged in the future.

Perhaps it's time you accepted the fact and moved on - it is not healthy to hold on to the resentment against them :thumbup::thumbsup:

Why should I "move on"? (ie. pretend everything's hunky-dory) for the convenience of thieving bootleggers and those who sell 'em on? I don't THINK so! (Cheek!)

It might be better if the Northern scene eventually "moved on" from it's complicity in this activity and stopped treating bootlegging as some kind of natural phenomenon nobody has any control over. Meanwhile I'll continue to "resent" bootlegs as long as the Northern scene remains utterly complacent to them - so there!

Social source share

Why should I "move on"? (ie. pretend everything's hunky-dory) for the convenience of thieving bootleggers and those who sell 'em on? I don't THINK so! (Cheek!)

It might be better if the Northern scene eventually "moved on" from it's complicity in this activity and stopped treating bootlegging as some kind of natural phenomenon nobody has any control over. Meanwhile I'll continue to "resent" bootlegs as long as the Northern scene remains utterly complacent to them - so there!

Even though I don't think of myself as a part of the scene anymore, I couldn't agree more. Bootlegging is theft, you wouldn't turn a blind eye to someone "ringing" you car would you?

Oh no, I can't believe I'm participating in this thread!

Regards to all,

RB

Social source share

Guest Nik Mak

DSC00757.jpg

here's another OOTP on the white label. I got this from one of the many reputable record dealers that are only too happy to 'sell em on' :lol:

:thumbup::lol::thumbsup:

Social source share

Well there WOULD be wouldn't there? - It's not difficult to bloody BOOTLEG "good stuff", is it now? :thumbsup:

=============

what i like about labels like this is that they define an era...

seeing a list like this you could guess they were all Torch biggies..like soul series being linked to the wheel

always found things like this fascinating...

Social source share

Guest mel brat

=============

...seeing a list like this you could guess they were all Torch biggies..like soul series being linked to the wheel

always found things like this fascinating...

You're right. Many of them were big Torch spins, and proprietor Chris Burton was surely engaged in the bootlegging activities. However hardly had a record got played by that time (1973-74) before it would be bootlegged. That was part of the problem, not least for DJs attempting to find new discoveries to replace them, and this obviously led to a decline in the quality of records available to play.

Apparently, many of the late OOTP bootlegs were seized/withdrawn following belated legal action (as I recall reading). However as shown above, OOTP bootlegs were listed on ISC flyers and were still being openly sold at the Leeds Queen's Hall fiasco in 1974.

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

I remember Rod Smith talking at Leicester notts oddfellows reunion a few years ago about Patti Young "head & shoulders" on Out Of The Past being one that is not that easy to find.

Steve J

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Many of them were big Torch spins, and proprietor Chris Burton was surely engaged in the bootlegging activities.

Many people have told me that the late Otis Leavill arranged the pressings of the coloured label OOTPs for CB in Chicago - too many for it not to be the truth...

Social source share

You're right. Many of them were big Torch spins, and proprietor Chris Burton was surely engaged in the bootlegging activities. However hardly had a record got played by that time (1973-74) before it would be bootlegged. That was part of the problem, not least for DJs attempting to find new discoveries to replace them, and this obviously led to a decline in the quality of records available to play.

Apparently, many of the late OOTP bootlegs were seized/withdrawn following belated legal action (as I recall reading). However as shown above, OOTP bootlegs were listed on ISC flyers and were still being openly sold at the Leeds Queen's Hall fiasco in 1974.

Reference my earlier reply / posting -

" If you come across a white labelled OOTP 45 with a light brownish " tint " in places , these are the ones allegedly destroyed in the warehouse fire where they were stored , which coincided with the same time that CB was being asked about their validity " .........

Many of the records stored in the warehouse were destroyed by the fire ( alleged to be caused by old / faulty wiring ) , but the majority survived ( hence the discolouration of the white labels ) , and were sent post haste to various locations for " safe keeping " . The authorities were led to believe - and believed - that the warehouse contained ALL the stock of the OOTP 45s , and the fire had destroyed them . This helped CB facing more questions and investigation into the activities of himself , and the ISC .......

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Guest POTTERIESPECK

Used to own copies of Chubby Checker - YOU JUST DON'T KNOW & Rufus Lumley's - I'M STANDING. Both pressed on plain white background.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!