Clarence Paul

Guest melandthensome

Guest melandthensome

I started a thing about Clarence paul about 2 yrs ago and only got half way through it......I am trying to find out everything he was involved in which was quite a lot.I spoke to his daughter I think it was 2 yrs ago and know a very close friend of his.For me this guy was so under rated in the work that he actually did.We all know of his involvement with Stevie wonder etc but hes on so many other things as well I would appreciate any scans and info including his motown work if possible.

I do have somewhere the stuff I put together by him but need to dig it out but would really love any in-put and also jnfo regards his group the 5 Royales etc

cheers

mel :rolleyes:

Edited by melandthensome
Social source share

• Replies 2
  • Views 653
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest TONY ROUNCE

I started a thing about Clarence paul about 2 yrs ago and only got half way through it......I am trying to find out everything he was involved in which was quite a lot.I spoke to his daughter I think it was 2 yrs ago and know a very close friend of his.For me this guy was so under rated in the work that he actually did.We all know of his involvement with Stevie wonder etc but hes on so many other things as well I would appreciate any scans and info including his motown work if possible.

I do have somewhere the stuff I put together by him but need to dig it out but would really love any in-put and also jnfo regards his group the 5 Royales etc

cheers

mel ph34r.gif

The '5' Royales was not 'Clarence's group' - his brother, Lowman Pauling, was the group's guitarist and principal composer, though.

Clarence was never a recording member of the '5' Royales, but he had been in its gospel 'predecessor', the Royal Sons Quintet, along with several future members of the '5' Royales.

It's public knowledge that Clarence used to be the Temptations' vocal coach in their early days, and more than one member of the group has said, in the past, that he used to play them '5' Royales recordings to help to teach them how to shape their harmonies.

A bit off topic, I know, but Steve Cropper has always openly and honestly admitted that he based his early guitar style on that of Lowman Pauling, and this is very obvious when you compare early Booker T and the MGs recordings with things like "Say It" by the '5' Royales...

Social source share

Guest melandthensome

The '5' Royales was not 'Clarence's group' - his brother, Lowman Pauling, was the group's guitarist and principal composer, though.

Clarence was never a recording member of the '5' Royales, but he had been in its gospel 'predecessor', the Royal Sons Quintet, along with several future members of the '5' Royales.

It's public knowledge that Clarence used to be the Temptations' vocal coach in their early days, and more than one member of the group has said, in the past, that he used to play them '5' Royales recordings to help to teach them how to shape their harmonies.

A bit off topic, I know, but Steve Cropper has always openly and honestly admitted that he based his early guitar style on that of Lowman Pauling, and this is very obvious when you compare early Booker T and the MGs recordings with things like "Say It" by the '5' Royales...

Cheers Tony

I always thought Clarence formed the 5 Royales with his brother

thanks for the info

mel

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert