Mixed Up Shook Up

Guest in town Mikey

Guest in town Mikey

Another thread had me thinking about buying records hoping that the lyric you could remember, was in the title of the song. Back in the days of 100s of cover-ups, combined with many peoples oldies being newies to me, I often used to buy records just hoping I got lucky.

For example, I bought Gene & Eddie - Its No Sin, because of a tune played at Stafford.

It turned out to be Gail Anderson - Be Proud You Are In Love, but I'm more than happy with the one I got in error.

Anyone else have the same kind of experience?

Social source share

• Replies 14
  • Views 933
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Back in the very early seventies (bear in mind I was young & knew nowt - as opposed to older & still don't know much!!) went into Starpic Studios in Blackpool & asked for a copy of "What Would I Do" - got home & played it - not the tune I thought it was. I'd got The Superiors & what I really wanted was The Tymes. No harm done as I got The Tymes the week later & I still love both records.

Saddest part of all Starpic had listening booths which a cocky 15 year old didn't want to bother with.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I've lost count the number of records I bought after hearing Al Williams - I am Nothing for the first time.

Unfortunatley, none of them are Al :-(

Social source share

Guest Black Gold of the Sun

Back in the very early seventies (bear in mind I was young & knew nowt - as opposed to older & still don't know much!!) went into Starpic Studios in Blackpool & asked for a copy of "What Would I Do" - got home & played it - not the tune I thought it was. I'd got The Superiors & what I really wanted was The Tymes. No harm done as I got The Tymes the week later & I still love both records.

Saddest part of all Starpic had listening booths which a cocky 15 year old didn't want to bother with.

I Did EXACTLY the same at Jumbo in Leeds :thumbsup:

Social source share

was looking for freddie hughes stomper 'take me as i am' and got tony adams slow doo wop 'take me as i am' which does nothing for me at all....i was gutted until i flipped it and played 'the blues dont like no body'..awesome soulful rnb...too slow to play out but a great tune....cant remember what i payed,under a tenner..... got freddie hughes from manship later before anyone offers it !....

Social source share

Another thread had me thinking about buying records hoping that the lyric you could remember, was in the title of the song. Back in the days of 100s of cover-ups, combined with many peoples oldies being newies to me, I often used to buy records just hoping I got lucky.

For example, I bought Gene & Eddie - Its No Sin, because of a tune played at Stafford.

It turned out to be Gail Anderson - Be Proud You Are In Love, but I'm more than happy with the one I got in error.

Anyone else have the same kind of experience?

:unsure: I've got about a hundred box of stuff that didn't turn out to be what i hoped. From thinkin' i knew it, like you 've said..and stuff for a dollar or five, i took a chance on.

I did call rick, at anglo. Asking if "Youre too much" Roger Washington on Joe Davis, which they had listed. Was the same song as Derek Martin on Roulette...when he played it on the Dog for me..It wasn't the same...But i bought it, as it was a cracker...

Social source share

Bought a single called Soul Food thought I had made a great discovery put it on the turntable it was a fucking recipie for chicken n rice :thumbsup:

biggrin.gif:g:biggrin.gif

Bought Sliced Tomatoes after a long search. Played at home really excited untill I realized it wasn't Fatboy Slim.

Kidding...

I think this has only happened to me once. Heard OV Wright's What Did You Tell This Girl Of Mine on the Soul Of Uk Sue vol. 4 compilation and inmediatelly fell for it. Bought the Us original issue and it turned to be a more up-tempo crappy version.

Still haven't got the Uk one..

Edited by Dante
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!