Speechless

Pete S

• Replies 26
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Someone just emailed me and asked if he could buy one of my ebay records that didn't sell yesterday but asked if I'd give him a discount if he bought it.

It was 10 quid. :thumbsup:

Are you offering credit yet Pete to beat the crunch?

Not so much sniping as sifting through the wreckage smile.gif

Social source share

Someone just emailed me and asked if he could buy one of my ebay records that didn't sell yesterday but asked if I'd give him a discount if he bought it.

I remember doing a car booty a few years ago and right at the end when we were just trying to offload the shite that was left, an old dear came and looked on our table and asked about one of those plastic things you put on your draining board for your cutlery and asked me how much so I said '20p' and she replied 'Will you take 10p'?

I let her have it for nothing. laugh.giflaugh.gif:lol:

Social source share

Thing is if its been on Ebay and not sold for what you asked (£10) it means no one wants it or it was over priced...

I know your prices are never over so maybe no one wants it so a discount why not...

otherwise you are only gonna keep relisting it...

and if you still have it in 6 months you would probably be glad to get £8 for it..

remember they are only worth what people want to pay... wink.gif

Social source share

Thing is if its been on Ebay and not sold for what you asked (£10) it means no one wants it or it was over priced...

I know your prices are never over so maybe no one wants it so a discount why not...

and if you still have it in 6 months you would probably be glad to get £8 for it..

remember they are only worth what people want to pay... :thumbsup:

Well it books at £40 so I'm not selling it for 8 quid mate, whether no one wants it or not I am not doing a discount on £10. If it were £100 I would have but I can't stand people who haggle over piffling amounts, try to get free postage etc and I always ask the same question - would they ask John Manship to do them a discount or do free post? No they f*cking wouldn't would they.

Social source share

Well it books at £40 so I'm not selling it for 8 quid mate, whether no one wants it or not I am not doing a discount on £10. If it were £100 I would have but I can't stand people who haggle over piffling amounts, try to get free postage etc and I always ask the same question - would they ask John Manship to do them a discount or do free post? No they f*cking wouldn't would they.

you never said it was worth £40...

I asked John for a cash discount once.... won't tell you how much I spent or what he said as you will all want a one :thumbsup:

maybe you should list it again near pay day (end of the month)...I know a lot of people me included that buy more then than in the middle of the month..

I check out ebay for the last week of the month see whats ending when I get paid... not for the stuff I want but stuff I see and buy.. the stuff you don't care if you own or not...

what was the record any way?

Social source share

This is why I've more or less given up on Ebay....bl**dy vultures....

The amount of people who have got stuff for a steal off me (usually when I've forgotten the auction end date)....and still moaned about 10p too much for p&p :thumbsup:

Social source share

This is why I've more or less given up on Ebay....bl**dy vultures....

The amount of people who have got stuff for a steal off me (usually when I've forgotten the auction end date)....and still moaned about 10p too much for p&p :thumbsup:

Too many bloody freeloaders - make me sick they do.

Social source share

Thats the good thing about Soul Source.. none of its members go on Ebay looking for a bargin because it's not the right thing to do...

or is it differnt selling to buying biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Not always the case Mischief - you won't believe some of the insulting offers I'd had on here for items which are bargain-priced anyway. Only a small minority of people I should stress though.

Social source share

I couldn't believe a guy who my missus sold a Playboy handbag to (on Ebay) just before Christmas. He claims he never received it (basically he was pissed off with not getting it before Christmas, not my fault I might add as she posted with time to spare)....anyway I sent him his money back via Paypal for the amount of £4.75 and that included the postage too! A few days later he e-mailed (twice!!!) saying thanks for the refund but Paypal took 35p off for fees and can I pay this a.s.a.p...!!!!!!

That's 35 f*****g PENCE!!!!!!!! ohmy.gif

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

It was 10 quid. laugh.gif

If you don't ask you don't get biggrin.gif

I never used to ask for discount on records till I was introduced to Rob Gray I've never seen anyone bring the price of a record down like he can when looking in sales boxes, I've seen him turn his pockets out to get a price down, the best one I whitnesst (for Rob not the seller) being Judy Street "what" Strider he bought at the first Skegness weekender I nearly bought the seller a drink to cry in :( he was well & truly Robed so to speak!! laugh.gif

If i get discount of anyone when buying then when i'm selling i will allways give good discount back to that person.

Steve J

Social source share

Not always the case Mischief - you won't believe some of the insulting offers I'd had on here for items which are bargain-priced anyway. Only a small minority of people I should stress though.

most people's "bargain prices" here are rarely bargains

Social source share

I couldn't believe a guy who my missus sold a Playboy handbag to (on Ebay) just before Christmas. He claims he never received it (basically he was pissed off with not getting it before Christmas, not my fault I might add as she posted with time to spare)....anyway I sent him his money back via Paypal for the amount of £4.75 and that included the postage too! A few days later he e-mailed (twice!!!) saying thanks for the refund but Paypal took 35p off for fees and can I pay this a.s.a.p...!!!!!!

That's 35 f*****g PENCE!!!!!!!! ohmy.gif

while that buyer was ridiculous, for future reference you can do a refund (partial or full) on the original paypal payment which will result in the buyer being not charged fees and which will also recover your fees

Social source share

while that buyer was ridiculous, for future reference you can do a refund (partial or full) on the original paypal payment which will result in the buyer being not charged fees and which will also recover your fees

Yes boba I tried that but it kept giving me an error message that said 'you have not got enough fees in your paypal balance to cover the refund'...which I found stupid as my missus always buys stuff using paypal via her credit card (which they have details)...so could not understand why they didn't take it from that??

Social source share

Yes boba I tried that but it kept giving me an error message that said 'you have not got enough fees in your paypal balance to cover the refund'...which I found stupid as my missus always buys stuff using paypal via her credit card (which they have details)...so could not understand why they didn't take it from that??

I find that daft too, have all my bank details, but have to take a refund from your paypal funds

Social source share

Guest bradcam

I had the Barbara McNair "Here I Am" LP on for £7.99 (I had paid £20 previously for it). I was charging £2.49 p&p and a guy emailed me saying he would buy it at £7 if I waived the p&p.

I decided to keep it rather than make the git's day. whistling.gif

Social source share

Don't mention the word "POSTAGE" , on my adverts, I have 6 lines about the record, and 25 about postage, saying that, I will be posting from my home in France, and the different rates, and the time differences for delivery etc etc, and the amount of people who don't bother to read about postage is staggering. It's not like it's tucked away at the bottom, it's the first thing you see.

And then, I get even more pissed off, with people who mark me down for "postage & packaging charges", they are well packed in mailers, with at least 3 card stiffeners, and with the exchange rate as it is now, costs me 4 at the post office (4 = £3-61 as I type) 1 or 2 records, while I only charge £3-60, losing money lol

Social source share

I find that daft too, have all my bank details, but have to take a refund from your paypal funds

I did not know that, I have done a refund 3-4 times when I have sold and I rarely have money in my account but maybe I hadn't yet spent the money at that time? Thanks for the info.

Social source share

remember they are only worth what people want to pay... wink.gif

Not sure if that's the case really. The thing with eBay is that you are trying to find someone who wants the particular record you are selling, at the price you are offering it for, usually in just 7 days.

Unless you are selling an ultra-rarity, it's a bit hit & miss really. How many people cart a sales box round for months before a record sells?

I stopped selling on eBay for just this reason. I list things on my site at a price I want to sell them for; some sell straight away, some take weeks or months, some don't sell at all. Matching a buyer to a record at the right price in a short time is pretty tough really.

The other thing is that records listed on eBay for 7 days or less rarely get indexed on Google until after they have finished, as it takes 7 days to a fortnight for Google to index web sites.

So people searching for records will only find them for sale on web sites or auctions ended on eBay (unless they are in eBay shops and listed for 30 days or so).

Record selling is tough! laugh.gif

Cheers

Paul

Social source share

I think that you have to realise in these "Credit Crunch" times more people are likely to make you an offer. You only have to watch consumer programmes on tv or read " money saving" websites to realise that this is part of the advice given to the general public in buying items.

95% of my set sale items invite a best offer, and of course some that are made to me are insulting, however they're unlikely to be successful. However, providing offers are made politely and without an attitude I have no problem. It's half the fun and you can always say no.

Social source share

I think that you have to realise in these "Credit Crunch" times more people are likely to make you an offer. You only have to watch consumer programmes on tv or read " money saving" websites to realise that this is part of the advice given to the general public in buying items.

95% of my set sale items invite a best offer, and of course some that are made to me are insulting, however they're unlikely to be successful. However, providing offers are made politely and without an attitude I have no problem. It's half the fun and you can always say no.

Its an interesting note - I have been more tempted buy the Make An Offer button recently ; it gives me a chance to offer what i think is a fair price (or a nice price to me). In my experience, if you make it a fair price, the Seller will often come back say 10% higher and we can both be happy. He has a done sale, and I have a 45 just above where i thought a great deal would be had. Working this way seems to work

If you go silly low, they are just insulted, rejected and I guess eventually would ignore such offers.....

Best

krh68

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!