So Whats Your Top Motown Northern Track

Guest soulboy

Guest soulboy

SIMPLE WHATS YOUR FAV NORTHERN MOTOWN TRACK AND IF YOU DJ DO YOU PLAY IT WHEN YOUR OUT?

FOR ME ONE I ALWAYS PLAY AND LIKE THE ISLEY BROTHERS MY LOVE IS YOUR LOVE

Social source share

• Replies 100
  • Views 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

SIMPLE WHATS YOUR FAV NORTHERN MOTOWN TRACK AND IF YOU DJ DO YOU PLAY IT WHEN YOUR OUT?

Two unissued tracks spring to mind straight away, both from the Temps, "Forever in my heart" and IMHO the far superior version of "Angel Doll"

Regards

Kev

Social source share

got asked for my top three last week by a bristol journo /soul fan for a bit about its 50th in the local paper and in the time id written and sent the mail id changed my mind....and then remembered another !!...so many to choose from....at the moment and getting a spin tonite for the first time in a few months its....martha reeves and the vandellas/ive got to let you go....despite the isleys being my overall favourite motown artist...martha always make me wanna dance

Social source share

Here are a few of my favorites to, yes, play out. Keep in mind, though, that, unless they're a regular at rare soul nights, the US crowds don't really tend to know any of the rare, non-Motown, proper Northern tracks, so when a Motown track does come on that they can actually sing along to they tend to lose their shit.

David Ruffin - You Can Come Right Back To Me

Frences Nero - Keep On Lovig Me

Four Tops - I'll Turn To Stone

Four Tops - Don't Bring Back Memories

Edwin Starr - Running Back and Forth (You definitely will hear this one out everywhere stateside, tho, and w/ reason)

Martha and the Vandellas - Quicksand

Diana Ross and the Supremes - He's My Sunny Boy

Of course, bigger Motown hits like "Ain't No Mountain," "Stubborn Kind Of Fella," and especially "Heat Wave" tend to get the US crowds in a ~complete frenzy~ too.

Edited by rswells
Social source share

Guest EType69

The Vows - Tell Me - V.I.P

Social source share

It has to said that The Temptations made more than a few truly perfect group Northern records: Come On Back To Me Baby, Angel Doll, Loneliness Made Me Realize and Gotta Find A Way To Get You Back to name only four.

A long-standing favourite of mine in the underplayed Motown stakes is Marvin Gaye's wonderful version of The Drifters' There Goes My Baby from the "In The Groove" album: obviously an older recording included as filler, but there's an effortless cool to the vocal and a marvelous ease to the backing track which makes me play it repeatedly.

Social source share

Guest soulful ady

It has to said that The Temptations made more than a few truly perfect group Northern records: Come On Back To Me Baby, Angel Doll, Loneliness Made Me Realize and Gotta Find A Way To Get You Back to name only four.

A long-standing favourite of mine in the underplayed Motown stakes is Marvin Gaye's wonderful version of The Drifters' There Goes My Baby from the "In The Groove" album: obviously an older recording included as filler, but there's an effortless cool to the vocal and a marvelous ease to the backing track which makes me play it repeatedly.

So many but at the minute it's gotta be the Temps with Mother of Mine..Ady

Social source share

Love it, also his version of The Drifters "Some Kind of Wonderful" from the same album.

Hard to pick a favourite Motown track though, there's that many good 'one's!

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Carolyn Crawford-"Forget about Me"-Motown

Tammi Terrell-"Come on and see Me"-Motown

Kim Weston-"Looking for the right Guy"-Tamla

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

At the moment.

Unreleased-"Crying Time"-Brenda Holloway

Released "The Stranger"-Gladys Knight.

probably change by next week :D

Tony

At The Moment " Memories Of Her Love Keep Haunting Me "- Detroit Spinners

My favorite all time tracks, which were played in my youth and before the term Northern was used but are still played nowadays are:

I'll Always Love You- Detroit Spinners

These Things Will Keep Me Loving You- Velvelettes

Just A Little Misunderstanding- Contours

Steve

Social source share

Unreleased....

Pin Point it Down......................................Chuck jackson

Aint No Mountain high enough......................Instrumental

Sweet was the Love....................................Four Tops

The Way you do the things you do...............Underdogs

Baby Dumplin'............................................Four Tops

I Aint going Nowhere..................................Thelma Houston

Oh. Ive been Bless'd...................................Martha reeves

Truly yours.................................................temptations

play 'em all out but not all in the same set....

+

Jealousy,Suspicion,When I Feel the Need,Somethings wrong, etc...etc if requested

Westy

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

When i DJed only proper time at city club i played my fav Motown track Elgins - Stay In My Lonely Arms well one of them my other is

Isley Brothers - This Old Heart of Mine but i think as many would say too commercial and popular to get played out.

Social source share

Guest DAWEEDSMOKA

Marthe Reeves & The Vandellas - Show me the way.

I used to play that out a lot, been some time now. Might bust it out this Wednesday.

Social source share

When i DJed only proper time at city club i played my fav Motown track Elgins - Stay In My Lonely Arms well one of them my other is

Isley Brothers - This Old Heart of Mine but i think as many would say too commercial and popular to get played out.

I Disagree :D TOHOM could and should be played out. Also Tammi Terrell's version.

Kev

Edited by Kev Moore
Social source share

Judging by the dancefloor at Brighouse last night it would be Just a Little Misunderstanding.

I'd have to say though Gladys Knight - No One Can Love You More (what a voice).

Social source share

I must admit i don't play that much Motown in any of my sets, but these are a few of my faves i do love to play :thumbsup:

Bobby Taylor - Oh i've been blessed

Martha Reeves & The Vandellas - My baby loves me

Kim Weston - Still lovin you

Eddie Holman - Candy to me

Four Tops - Ask the lonely

Marv Johnson - Miss my baby

La Brenda ben - Chaperone

Temptations - Stay

Edited by JELLYBEAN
Social source share

Isley Bros - Catching Up On Time

Gladys Knight & the Pips - Hes My Kind Of Fellow

Temptations - I Gotta Know Now

Shorty Long - Baby Come Home To Me

M.Gaye / T. Terrell - Give in You Just Cant Win

Marvelettes - Your Love Can Save Me

Monitors -Share a little Love With Me (somebody)

just a few from me lp's .....think they are lp only :thumbsup:

Edited by JMYTG
Social source share

Love this record, and it ended up meaninig a HELL of a lot to me also, one of thee best motown tracks ever.

Social source share

Sorry, I feel mine beats all others. Perfect northern, perfect Motown and perfect vocals from the one and only Gladys Knight with Just Walk In My Shoes. 15k for Frank Wilson or £5 for Gladys.... no competition and yes, I play it out at every venue possible. Never tire of it.

Social source share

im not a dj but edwin star had a few northen hits ..backstreets was my fav.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!