'raven' Label

Soul-slider

Not sure if this label 'Raven' is related in any way to the other label with Carolina groups The Soundmasters & The Lost Soul on?? Don't suppose these 'Prophets' are the one's on Smash etc..

I also wonder if the 'Pee Wee' on this 45 is the one on 'Flagg' with Chuck & Huey???

This Raven release is obviously very obscure and is a nice mid-tempo northern/garage offering, anyone know anything about it?

I can't do sound samples btw.

PEE WEE & THE PROPHETS - I'M SO TIRED (RAVEN OOS - 1) (matrix reads: G&C - 110)

post-4912-1232122192_thumb.jpg

Edited by Soul-Slider
Social source share

• Replies 9
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Not sure if this label 'Raven' is related in any way to the other label with Carolina groups The Soundmasters & The Lost Soul on?? Don't suppose these 'Prophets' are the one's on Smash etc..

I also wonder if the 'Pee Wee' on this 45 is the one on 'Flagg' with Chuck & Huey???

This Raven release is obviously very obscure and is a nice mid-tempo northern/garage offering, anyone know anything about it?

Bit of a teaser this one. The Lost Soul's Raven label has serial numbers prefixed HOS (standing for House of Sounds), but I notice this label's prefix is OOS - not a million miles from each other. The HOS Raven label is out of Danville, Virginia, but haven't a clue with this one. One look at the design of label makes me think Chicago for some reason.

Social source share

Bit of a teaser this one. The Lost Soul's Raven label has serial numbers prefixed HOS (standing for House of Sounds), but I notice this label's prefix is OOS - not a million miles from each other. The HOS Raven label is out of Danville, Virginia, but haven't a clue with this one. One look at the design of label makes me think Chicago for some reason.

Thanks for that Gene, interesting about the HOS & OOS.

Was the PEE WEE, CHUCK & HUEY on FLAGG (Beside Myself) from Chicago??

Social source share

i think this group is also from virginia but I'm not 100% sure, they have at least one other record that is rock on another label (it's a blue label i'm not remembering what it is right now).

Social source share

i think this group is also from virginia but I'm not 100% sure, they have at least one other record that is rock on another label (it's a blue label i'm not remembering what it is right now).

So, it's maybe pointing to the fact that this is related to the other Raven 45's we all know then. Hope so, as I'm in the process of trying to get them all....cash permitting!

Social source share

WEST Virginia, actually. I can't remember where Pee Wee and band were from but I seem to recall somewhere along the I77 corridor. You're right about the blue label, Centennial is the name.

I think there are something like 5-6 records on the Raven label and 3 on Centennial. This is NOT connected to the Virginia HOS/Raven label. None of them are rare, compared to other small label non-distributed records from that area. Maybe it's just that a lot of people from this area moved to Ohio and brought their records with them....

BTW, the G&C is a reference to the Pittsburgh pressing plant. Same plant pressed other 45s (Larry Allen I think).

- George

Edited by George G
Social source share

WEST Virginia, actually. I can't remember where Pee Wee and band were from but I seem to recall somewhere along the I77 corridor. You're right about the blue label, Centennial is the name.

I think there are something like 5-6 records on the Raven label and 3 on Centennial. This is NOT connected to the Virginia HOS/Raven label. None of them are rare, compared to other small label non-distributed records from that area. Maybe it's just that a lot of people from this area moved to Ohio and brought their records with them....

BTW, the G&C is a reference to the Pittsburgh pressing plant. Same plant pressed other 45s (Larry Allen I think).

- George

Thanks for the info George, much appreciated. It might not be as rare as others but this particular 45 is a good one if you like garagey type soul! (IMO)

Edited by Soul-Slider
Social source share

Thanks for the info George, much appreciated. It might not be as rare as others but this particular 45 is a good one if you like garagey type soul! (IMO)

You're welcome, I have both Pee Wee 45s and like 'em too. You should check out the other 45s on Centennial by the Magnums and New Mason Dixons. Not really dancers - hard to describe but have a somewhat similar mix of garage, soul, and early R&B.

- George

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!