Which Classic Motown Sound Would Be Big On The Scene

BrianB

Happy birthday to the best record company the world has ever seen.

Which Motown Classics would be on the playlists if Jon Anderson found them today?

I'd go for :

• Uptight
  • Back in My Arms Again
  • I Can't Help Myself
  • Going to a Go Go
  • Heatwave.

I've left hundreds out, which pays testament to just how right Berry got it.

Brian B

Social source share

• Replies 31
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Which Motown Classics would be on the playlists if Jon Anderson found them today?

I'd go for :

• Uptight
  • Back in My Arms Again
  • I Can't Help Myself
  • Going to a Go Go
  • Heatwave.

Ditto

Social source share

Hard to pick as there are tons to go at - but here's one.

"Tell Me It's Just A Rumour Baby" - The Isley Brothers

Forget Frank Wilson & all the hype that goes with it, "Rumour" IMO is THE biggest Motown record ever played on the Northern scene.

If it was discovered today anything else that had been played before it would merely be an "also ran"

Social source share

I'd go for :

• Uptight
  • Back in My Arms Again
  • I Can't Help Myself
  • Going to a Go Go
  • Heatwave.

Brian B

Depends on what field of classic you mean, but I would go for J J Barnes - 'Please let me in' now what a classic that is

Social source share

JIMMY RUFFIN, WHAT BECOMES OF THE BROKEN HEARTED... i HEARD THIS ON THE RADIO THE OTHER DAY, AND WAS BLOWN AWAY BY THE PRODUCTION...LIKE YOU, WONDERED HOW BIG THAT WOULD BE, IF JUST DISCOVERED TODAY.

A GOOD ENDER? unsure.gif

Never get tired of playing Motown. If you haven't heard it for a while check out Mr Ruffin on 'Farewell is a Lonely Sound'. It's also a true gem IMO.

Kev

Social source share

Guest little glyn

biggrin.gif an absolute motown classic that has great vocals and a stunning accompaniment and again by the great

JIMMY RUFFIN - GOING TO GIVE YOU ALL THE LOVE I GOT

BRILLIANT !!

Edited by little glyn
Social source share

I'd go for :

• Uptight
  • Back in My Arms Again
  • I Can't Help Myself
  • Going to a Go Go
  • Heatwave.

Brian B

The Temptations " Girl Why Do You Wanna Make Me Blue "

It has everything that a classic record should have : sheer magic from start to finish .

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Thinking about it the two most influencial Motown records if undiscovered now would have to be:

Barrett Strong 'Money(That's What I Want)'

and

The Miracles 'Get a Job'

Funny how Britain 2009 could be echoing Detroit 1959. Whoops is that the Bank Manager................

Kev :thumbsup::lol::thumbup:

Social source share

Hard to pick as there are tons to go at - but here's one.

"Tell Me It's Just A Rumour Baby" - The Isley Brothers

Forget Frank Wilson & all the hype that goes with it, "Rumour" IMO is THE biggest Motown record ever played on the Northern scene.

If it was discovered today anything else that had been played before it would merely be an "also ran"

Very true and the same could be said of many others, including "Baby Hit And Run" etc.

If rarity wasn't such an important consideration, Frank Wilson would be way down the list.

Paul

Social source share

Never get tired of playing Motown. If you haven't heard it for a while check out Mr Ruffin on 'Farewell is a Lonely Sound'. It's also a true gem IMO.

Kev

Hi Kev,

I agree, but I think it is just edged by Its Wonderful to be Loved by You!

A beautiful record and would sound brilliant today.

Social source share

Guest bazrico

Kev

jimmy ruffin at the top rank hanley stoke on trent baby ive got it what a night

Social source share

"I'm Here Now That You Need Me" by JJ Barnes is a good example of a recently-discovered Motown track which deserves far more attention than it has received so far.

If it had been discovered on rare vinyl instead of an unissued master tape or a CD album I think it would have been a very different story.

Paul

Social source share

Guest soulboy

:unsure: an absolute motown classic that has great vocals and a stunning accompaniment and again by the great

JIMMY RUFFIN - GOING TO GIVE YOU ALL THE LOVE I GOT

BRILLIANT !!

have you heard the 2 cd anthology jimmy Ruffin get it cos it will blow you away

Social source share

Guest little glyn

have you heard the 2 cd anthology jimmy Ruffin get it cos it will blow you away

:lol: not heard this anthology any more details please ??

Social source share

I'd go for :

• Uptight
  • Back in My Arms Again
  • I Can't Help Myself
  • Going to a Go Go
  • Heatwave.

Brian B

For me i think if the elgins was discovered to day it would be 5 times bigger than Frank Wilson but the record that does it for me is Get ready and i know we hear 1000's of tune at venues but that record always imho apitermises the fantastic sounds of young black america but we must all agree without the Funk Brothers i dont think Motown would be what it is today in the northern soul rooms around the uk. ps sorry about the spelling and hope to see you all at the motown weekender at prestatyn in october.Yocky Edited by soulcrew
Social source share

The Temptations " Girl Why Do You Wanna Make Me Blue "

It has everything that a classic record should have : sheer magic from start to finish .

Malc Burton

Couldn't agree more. My favourite song by my favourite male group. The production it's just perfect, and the voices, and the lyrics.

Other ones: Nowhere to Run, Two Can Have A Party, Destination Anywhere and loads of others...

Social source share

Guest soulboy

:lol: not heard this anthology any more details please ??

The Motown Anthology by Jimmy Ruffin look on amazon came out in2004 if you like mr ruffin it will knock your socks off even the tracks like ill say forever and what becomes to listen to them again is great ,Shake hands with a stranger is the dogs ,you wont turn it off soooo good

Social source share

i heard recently that a dee-jay played "Jimmy Mac" out at a venue in the east mids... for me this is one classic motown track that should never, ever be even within a hundred miles of the decks at a northern event..... just opinionating!

this thread's about "Classic Motown ,big on the scene".

Please keep East Mids out of it,or maybe it was a Motown/Northern nite? ..........just saying.....!!!

Social source share

Guest ktf mal

Kev

Kev...............flip it over and take a listern......................Never let you get away... wink.gif

ktf mal

Social source share

I'd go for :

• Uptight
  • Back in My Arms Again
  • I Can't Help Myself
  • Going to a Go Go
  • Heatwave.

Brian B

I'll stick to one, as the thread title suggests, and having heard it played "out" last weekend, just reminded me of how good it was loud.....

Whole lot of shakin' in my heart (since I met you)- The Miracles..... :thumbsup:

Social source share

My one choice (out of many many others) has to be "Shake me, wake me" by the 4 Tops, as I listen to Levi singing "As the tears roll down my face, I cant believe ive been replaced" it sends shivers down me spine!

Edited by craig strong
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!