"what Is This?" By Bobby Womack

Ljblanken

Hi.

i am hoping folks can help me with this.... i bought a comp with "what is this" by Bobby Womack and it is awesome. Then i bought a Minit single with this title and its the right song, but a slower version (which i really don't care for).

I looked on Manship's website and he has a clip of the correct version linked to a single "what is this/instr." Mirwood #1004. But when i go to soulfulkindamusic there is no record of this number for mirwood.

there is also a single "what is this" by bobby womack on the Keyman label (keymen 102, 1966) on the soulfulkindamusic page. i have no idea which one this is.

anyway... does anyone know:

a ) which one is the fast/good version of the song

B ) are there any single re-issues

c ) how much i should expect to pay for the original

thanks in advance for your help!

Edited by ljblanken
Social source share

• Replies 18
  • Views 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Hi.

i am hoping folks can help me with this.... i bought a comp with "what is this" by Bobby Womack and it is awesome. Then i bought a Minit single with this title and its the right song, but a slower version (which i really don't care for).

I looked on Manship's website and he has a clip of the correct version linked to a single "what is this/instr." Mirwood #1004. But when i go to soulfulkindamusic there is no record of this number for mirwood.

there is also a single "what is this" by bobby womack on the Keyman label (keymen 102, 1966) on the soulfulkindamusic page. i have no idea which one this is.

The Keyman version is the one that was played on the Northern Scene (fast one)

Social source share

The Keyman version is the one that was played on the Northern Scene (fast one)

The Minit release ( # 32037 " What Is This " / " What You Gonna Do (When Your Love Is Gone ) " 1968 ) , is a reworking by BW , hence it being slower than the Keyman version ........

Malc Burton

Social source share

Hi.

The Minit release in 1968 ( # 32037 " What Is This " / " What You Gonna Do ( When Your Love Is Gone ) " ) , is a reworking by BW of his own song , hence it being slower than the Keyman ( # 102 ) , version two years earlier ........

The Mirwood 1004 issue is intriguing - more likely to be a boot , as opposed to a legitimate release . Mirwood releases started in 1965 with # 5501 ( The Gas Co. " Blow Your Mind " / " Your Time's Up " ) and ended in 1967 , with # 5536 ( The Performers " The Day When She Needed Me ! / " Set Me Free " ) : # 5521 was never issued .

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

The Minit release in 1968 ( # 32037 " What Is This " / " What You Gonna Do ( When Your Love Is Gone ) " ) , is a reworking by BW of his own song , hence it being slower than the Keyman ( # 102 ) , version two years earlier ........

The Mirwood 1004 issue is intriguing - more likely to be a boot , as opposed to a legitimate release . Mirwood releases started in 1965 with # 5501 ( The Gas Co. " Blow Your Mind " / " Your Time's Up " ) and ended in 1967 , with # 5536 ( The Performers " The Day When She Needed Me ! / " Set Me Free " ) : # 5521 was never issued .

Malc Burton

Don't forget the fast version also came out on jayboy(Boy75).

Paul

Social source share

Malc is right, the Gold Mirwood one is a Boot. Backed with the Instrumental. It was a Soussan job.

The Green / White Keyman is the original (more 'Northernesque') version backed with the awsome deepie "I Wonder".

The Minit rework is also a great version (IMO) but the flipside is the best of the bunch with his incredible "What You Gonna Do" a superb mid to uptempo dancer... so ignore at your peril!

:thumbsup:

Sean

Social source share

The Minit release is not a re-working of the earlier Keymen release.

This misconception has been perpetuated for almost 40 years ...

They are different tunes both lyrically and musically.

Bobby just happened to give both releases the same title.

He would not have had a problem using the old title for the Minit release as the Keymen release from a few years earlier had sunk without trace.

Edited by sunnysoul
Social source share

The Minit release is not a re-working of the earlier Keymen release.

This misconception has been perpetuated for almost 40 years ...

They are different tunes both lyrically and musically.

Bobby just happened to give both releases the same title.

He would not have had a problem using the old title for the Minit release as the Keymen release from a few years earlier had sunk without trace.

I should have put " adaptation " instead of " reworking " , as to my ears , there are elements of the earlier Keymen version within the Minit outing ........

Malc Burton

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I should have put " adaptation " instead of " reworking " , as to my ears , there are elements of the earlier Keymen version within the Minit outing ........

Malc Burton

Sorry, Malc, I'm with George (Sunnysoul) on this one. The only elements that these two songs have in common is that they both have the words "what", "is" and "this" in the title and that both are Womack compositions.

I'm also with brother Hampsey in that "What You Gonna Do" is a record that no collection should be without.

BTW Jackie De Shannon's version of the Minit "What Is This" (on Imperial, produced by Womack) is also good IMO...

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Guest Mark Holmes

Sorry, Malc, I'm with George (Sunnysoul) on this one. The only elements that these two songs have in common is that they both have the words "what", "is" and "this" in the title and that both are Womack compositions.

I'm also with brother Hampsey in that "What You Gonna Do" is a record that no collection should be without.

BTW Jackie De Shannon's version of the Minit "What Is This" (on Imperial, produced by Womack) is also good IMO...

Boo Hiss...just went over to my box to pull out the Minit version to play the flip...and it is an audition record and has What is This on both sides :unsure:

Social source share

Guest inspirations001

The Minit release ( # 32037 " What Is This " / " What You Gonna Do (When Your Love Is Gone ) " 1968 ) , is a reworking by BW , hence it being slower than the Keyman version ........

Malc Burton

same one as on uk jay boy isn't it?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!