Toby & Taffys Birthday - Irish Centre Letchworth

Toby & Taffy's joint birthday celebrations have become something of a legend each January and last night lived up to - and beyond! - all expectations

Typing this back at Tobys and the tunes, the banter and the laughs are still coming thick & fast.

Everyone seemed to have a brilliant night last night and a real treat musically from beginning to end.... Steve Guirani (spelt wrong I know - sorry Steve) Pete Hulatt & Keith Money making superb selections keeping dancers happy and in too many cases adding to the already impossible wants list

The lads also asked Dolly and me to bring some tunes and we thoroughly enjoyed playing some things that we dont usually get the chance to give an airing to for a fab, open minded and generous crowd.

The packed house was testament to 2 great lads' who put on a hell of a party. Thanks for having us fellas and a big thank you to Toby as always for your wonderful hospitality.

Happy birthday chaps!!!

Neil & Dolly x

• Replies 20
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest GingerDave

Toby thanks for a great nite mate as all ways top tunes good company ,nice to see your doing OK catch up and have a chat soon ,say thanks to Taff R&B Man for me Ginger Dave biggrin.gif

Well that turned out rather well i thought again.......pheeew,hard work or what this all night partying lark,

I loved every minute of it,thanks must go to ALL you who attended

Steve Bish(our warm up man) Debut set and a very good set it was too,well done.

Pete Hulatt again outstanding yet again.

Steve G " " " " "

Neil Jones and Dolly,wonderfull records played by Manchesters dream team.

Keith Money,spot on !! A Perfect set from a DJ of the highest order,thanks mate,brilliant.

Loads of people to mention Sandra,Sheila all the way from Dundee,Melv from Edinborough,Dave Rivers,Tracy,Terry & Jan Rider,Dave Halsal & girls,just a few of you a big big thanks from us 3 lads,

Liz the cake was a creation like no other double decks + mixer,tasted great as well thanks a million.

Sadly this was the last venture at the Irish club(i think the club will regret it...there loss not ours),but its time to move on after 3 years here,we've had some great times in here with some outstanding DJs,so watch this space for GROOVESVILLE events(plug next one 24th Jan..next week...see events).

A GREAT BIG THANKYOU TO ALL WHO HAVE SUPPORTED THIS VENUE OVER THE YEARS..THANKS GUYS..

Not been in long!

My first (and last) visit to the Irish Club, but what a night :lol: Had a whale of a time!

So many friends and acqaintances there was just like a big reunion. Just goes to show the popularity of Toby, Taffy and Martin.

Herts - proper hot bed of Northern Soul!!

Big thanks to the three of you for putting this on thumbup.gif

See you @ Groovesville - Hitchin next week thumbsup.gif

Edited by Stubbsy

Happy birthday Toby & Taffy hope you had a good night, as Stubbsie said just like a reunion, some faces I only see twice a year letchworth bifday bash & Randys alldayer............

By the way should of been a triple birthday bash as I believe it was Martin RBmans bifday just recently whistling.gif

Guest Bernadette

oof me heed this morning (that's geordie for head by the way for the poncey southerners wink.gif )

great night as usual...shame it was the last one :lol:

thanks to the lovely Geoff for taking me home albeit on a long convoluted route laugh.gif

Great night really enjoyed the music ,atmosphere and seeing loads of friends not seen since i moved! A wonderful final fling and triple birthday bash for toby,taf and martin HAPPY BIRTHDAY AGAIN!!!

Thanks toby for making us so welcome before and after, have a good un tonite as well mate :unsure::ohmy: dave & stef

Thanks chaps for asking me to play here again.

I had a great time, as did everyone else it seems.

Toby thank you for the hospitality we look forward to returning the favour when you come to Manchester.

Keith, Sandra, Bearsy, Posh One :P:lol: , Maria, Karen, Emma & the Weird bloke,. Lorraine & Co, D'arcey, Pete, Maria, and Steve it was nice to see you all.

I done 3 sets with Neil, And enjoying myself so much I even forgot I was nervous.

Here's what I played, thanks for dancing I hope you liked my choices.

Billy Stewart "Cream of the Crop" C/U

Patti Drew "He's the One" Capital

Eboney Essence "Let me In" Goodie Train

Luckey Davis "It's not where you Start" Highland

The Ethics "I want my baby back" Vent

The Dells "Trick me Treat Me LP track

James Shorter "Ready for the Heartbreak" La Beat

The Olympics "No more will I Cry" Loma

Johnny Guitar Watson "Ain't Gonna Move" Jowat

Darrow Fletcher "What good am I Without You" Jacklyn

Freddie Williams " I've got to Live while I Can" Hollywood

Drake & the Ensolids "Please Please Me" Alteen

David Thomas " I'll Always Need You (By My Side) " Prime (for Dave Rivers)

The Elgins "Don't wait Around" Release

Teddy Pendergrass " You Must Live On" PIR

Bobby Womack A Man Needs Heaven" C/U

Donny Burkes " You Never Know What You've Got" Metromedia

The Tams "This precious Moment" Sounds South

Johnny Johnson "All the Way" EMI

Sheila Ferguson "And In Return" Swan

Tim Harris "Don't Say" Timco

Guitar Ray "You're gonna Wreck my Life" Shagg.

Looking forward to doing it all again in August, thanks for asking me back :D

Dolly :lol::wave:

Finally in a fit state to comment on the great night at the Irish Club. Well done the 3 birthday boys, each celebration gets better and better.

As Dave Greenhill said, it was more like a reunion,must have been a large percentage of the people on the soul scene in London and the South East, just goes to show how much the birthday boys are liked.

It was my pleasure to give Bernadette and Steve G a lift, thanks for your company. And of course thanks to Liz for the cakes, cakemaker by appointment to the soul scene.

I thought all the DJs did very good sets, a nice mix of music, classic Northern, rarities and some Modern. In other words something for everyone.

Well, we left the Irish Club in style (their loss), now on to Groovesville.

Allready been said many times so far - what a great night!! A few of us down from Peterborough to support this one. Once again happy birthday guys. Good to put some names to faces - Dave from Stevenage, Bearsey, Helen etc.. as well as chatting to some old friends, Dolly, Warren, Mick D, Steve Jay etc.. Great crowd and a great atmosphere. This needs to be a permanent do on every January - even if the venue dosn't want you there are a good number out there that do! Nice one chaps. Ray

Well done lads, the night was a credit to you , thanks for inviting us back again for yet another blinder :huh: !!!

Nice to catch up with so many people that we just dont get to see often enough :D ,great music in great company , just perfect.

Steve.

p.s. looking forward to seeing a few of you again next friday :unsure: ................

SIGNATUREJPEG.jpg

Another top night at the Triple Birthdy bash - thanks to Toby and Martin for inviting us!

Thought all the DJ's were top draw (once again Steve G had me tapping my foot to Modern!) and was totally blown away by Kieth Money an absolute top set!

Nice cake again Liz.

Happy Birthday fella's and thanks again for putting on this excellent night.

Dave

First off i want to say a big thanks to Toby for your hospitality beer and coffee oh and i knicked a sausage roll too :lol:

Well what a great night that was indeed :( Toby Taffy Martin the 3 birthday boys happy birthday to you all and thanks for yet another great night in the Irish club its just a shame its gonna be the last but hey ho life goes on and on and on :D

big thanks to the djs from Bish right through to Keith who all played blinders and the dance floor was busy busy all night long which you would expect with the quality that was played :lol: Steve G thanks for playing The Appointments thumbsup.gif

great to see so many friends all in one place having a good time and great to meet some new faces too, so many i couldnt name you all but you know who you are but a special hello to my very good friends Mark and Helen, it was great to see you both out and see you very soon :P

then back at Toby Towers it was a nighter and a half with Dolly Neil Mr Rivers Melv Kev and Phil Panche Emma Myself & Marie and a few more beers and loads and loads of tunes by Doll and Neil a few jokes a few stories and before you know it its 9am :yes:

once again thanks all for a great night and see you out there sometime soon

atb

Bearsy

Guest soulmanherts

Yep a great night again had a right laugh with some good friends, shame it finished when it did... :thumbsup: only sore note was the bad sausage or something at breakfast done me in for all the reat or saturday and sunday...roll on next saturday and hitchin and W.G.C on sunday.

Just a quick note to say thanks for inviting us down as we had an absolute ball.

Shows how well the birthday boys are liked by the great turn out they got.

Brilliant night all round which as has been said earlier had a little bit of something for everyone

hopefully.

Great for me also to put some faces to names that I had heard about for a long time but never met.

Just about recovered as we had the 100 club the next night followed by another long journey back to sunny Dundee for me and Sandra and Edinburgh for Sheliah but it was well worth the effort.

Special thanks to Toby for being an excellent host and for putting up with my ramblings about records, artists,signed photos etc that he had on his walls and in his record room.

Dont know where he got the autographed pair of Melvin Davis underpants signed "To my number 1 fan Toby, love from big boy Mel" but they must be rare as I have never seen them on ebay!!!!!

Looking forward to coming down again later in the year (hopefully the date will fit with my work schedule) where we can repeat the success.

Thanks again for all the nice comments on the night as it is much appreciated.

Just off to put a bid in for a new liver that I have been watching on ebay.

Keith