Darryl Stewart Soon To Visit Site

macca

I've been in touch with the man via Youtube & told him people on here would love to hear from him.

He said that his son had drawn his attention to Name It & Claim It being on Youtube, & had absolutely no idea

of the record's popularity on the scene. When I bought the Wand/Scepter compilation that Ian Levine put together

this was one track that I played over & over. I asked him if he got to record other material & he replied he did, that

they were mostly ballads. He also said he'd be sure to visit Soul Source to find out more about his role in the massive

jigsaw puzzle that is the NS scene (the jigsaw bit is mine) :-)

Social source share

• Replies 140
  • Views 13.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Hello all. I had no idea that after all these years I'd find my record on youtube (at least my son found it). I also cannot believe how popular it may have been. I really didn't know. Had I know I may have tried to make a visit. Not sure how much more I can add, except I am humbled that people actually remember me. Thank you. Now...if you have any questions or would like to know what I've been doing for the last 40 years :thumbsup: , please let me know. I'll try to answer all. And thanks for the memories.

A little trivia if you'd like to know....It was recorded at the Record Plant in New York City (Hendrix, among others, recorded there). Tony Camillo was the arranger, who went on to a very large career with Holland, Dozier, Holland after they left Motown. And the engineer was one Anthony (Tony) Bongiovi, the uncle of today's BonJovi.

Steve G.....A Smart Monkey Doesn't Monkey With Another Monkey's Monkey (a real banana winning song if you ask me biggrin.gif ) was recorded on the Musicor label. It was also a "B" side as Name It was. It was a fun (and really dumb) song, but believe or not, it was the one that got me the record deal. And I actually still have a copy of the 45.

Regards,

Darryl

Edited by Darryl
Social source share

Hi Darryl and welcome to Soul Sorce. Glad to hear that after 40 years of not knowing the popularity of in particular the legendary "Name it and claim it" that you will be able to feel as deep sense of achievement in your recording at Wand....it always has been and always will be a classic tune to so many. Here's hoping you will be able to share your memories of it.

With best regards

Lee

Social source share

Darryl, do you have any promotional photos of yourself from the 60's that you could post on here ?

Oh do you really want to see that!!! :thumbsup: I think I may have something from my Musicor days around here some where. I'll see if I can find it. Someone may have to help me with posting.

Social source share

Hi Darryl and welcome to Soul Sorce. Glad to hear that after 40 years of not knowing the popularity of in particular the legendary "Name it and claim it" that you will be able to feel as deep sense of achievement in your recording at Wand....it always has been and always will be a classic tune to so many. Here's hoping you will be able to share your memories of it.

With best regards

Lee

Thank you so much for the kind words. I'll share as much as I can remember.

Social source share

Welcome aboard Darryl.

I echo Sunnysoul's words regarding promotional photos, that kind of stuff would be fabulous.

The recording studio/session info is also much appreciated as it helps us build up a picture of how these

wonderful records records came together in the first place.

There have been a number of Scepter/Wand CD compilations

over the years, & none of them would have been complete without Name It & Claim It.

Musicor also enjoys legendary status on this scene.

I know it was all a long time ago, but please do tell us more! :-)

Best,

Mac.

p.s. I think it should be us that are thanking you for the memories!! :-)

Social source share

Hello all. I had no idea that after all these years I'd find my record on youtube (at least my son found it). I also cannot believe how popular it may have been. I really didn't know. Had I know I may have tried to make a visit. Not sure how much more I can add, except I am humbled that people actually remember me. Thank you. Now...if you have any questions or would like to know what I've been doing for the last 40 years :thumbsup: , please let me know. I'll try to answer all. And thanks for the memories.

A little trivia if you'd like to know....It was recorded at the Record Plant in New York City (Hendrix, among others, recorded there). Tony Camillo was the arranger, who went on to a very large career with Holland, Dozier, Holland after they left Motown. And the engineer was one Anthony (Tony) Bongiovi, the uncle of today's BonJovi.

Steve G.....A Smart Monkey Doesn't Monkey With Another Monkey's Monkey (a real banana winning song if you ask me biggrin.gif ) was recorded on the Musicor label. It was also a "B" side as Name It was. It was a fun (and really dumb) song, but believe or not, it was the one that got me the record deal. And I actually still have a copy of the 45.

Regards,

Darryl

Hi Darryl

It's actually the A side of that Musicor title that I prefer - I have it somewhere but cannot remember the title right now as I am not at home - nice mid tempo tune though (still think "Name it and claim it" is the best 45 though). Did you do anything else other than the Wand and Musicor sides and was there stuff you laid down that never got released?

Names like Tony Camillo and Anthony Bonjiovi are household names amongst the soul fraternity...Anyway welcome to SouL Source.

Steve

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

I've been in touch with the man via Youtube & told him people on here would love to hear from him.

He said that his son had drawn his attention to Name It & Claim It being on Youtube, & had absolutely no idea

of the record's popularity on the scene. When I bought the Wand/Scepter compilation that Ian Levine put together

this was one track that I played over & over. I asked him if he got to record other material & he replied he did, that

they were mostly ballads. He also said he'd be sure to visit Soul Source to find out more about his role in the massive

Name It And Claim It was going to get a UK single release on PYE Disco Demand but it got shelved by Dave McAleer, I use to have a PYE acetate.

Edited by richard
Social source share

That would have been a hot cakes job, unlike some of the schlock that PYE released in that series.

Yes, I know there was top drawer stuff too, but who wouldn't have preferred Darryl Stewart to The

Fugitives or The Sha-Na-Netts, for example? Here's the album that most of us heard Name It &

Claim It on for the first time, track 2, no less. Wasn't there a re-release of this on Sanctuary, with bonus tracks?

post-122-1232376323_thumb.jpg

Edited by macca
Social source share

HES HERE!!!!!

members intro

Mand :thumbsup:

Social source share

That would have been a hot cakes job, unlike some of the schlock that PYE released in that series.

Yes, I know there was top drawer stuff too, but who wouldn't have preferred Darryl Stewart to The

Fugitives or The Sha-Na-Netts, for example? Here's the album that most of us heard Name It &

Claim It on for the first time, track 2, no less. Wasn't there a re-release of this on Sanctuary, with bonus tracks?

Hi Darryl,

Thank you so much for posting on here.

I too had one of my first compilation albums (Solid Soul Sensations), used to gazed with amazement at the records on the back cover, never having seen US records before, and now posting to you? This is so great to have you on here.

Love Name it.

P :thumbup:

And yes, we want to see any photo's of you then and now please!

Edited by paup-ine
Social source share

Hi Darryl

It's actually the A side of that Musicor title that I prefer - I have it somewhere but cannot remember the title right now as I am not at home - nice mid tempo tune though (still think "Name it and claim it" is the best 45 though). Did you do anything else other than the Wand and Musicor sides and was there stuff you laid down that never got released?

Names like Tony Camillo and Anthony Bonjiovi are household names amongst the soul fraternity...Anyway welcome to SouL Source.

Steve

Hi Steve. The "A" side of the Musicor title was "You Must Know Magic" which I thought was my best recording. And believe it or not, I just found a couple of copies of both the Wand and Musicor 45's. I have a second pressing of Name It and it is actually spelled correctly. Still don't know how it was released with the incorrect title. No "spell check" in those days.

d

Social source share

This is really overwhelming! I cannot believe the response here on something I had no idea about. Absolutely unbelievable and almost embarrassing. I again would like to say thank you to all and I'll continue to post here as long as you'll have me. This is all so new to me. If there's anyone who'd like to hear an unreleased title and the Musicor release and if someone can assist me on how to post music, I'll certainly do it. Not sure if anyone would want to hear them though.

d

Edited by Darryl
Social source share

Name it and claim it has given people a lot of pleasure over a very long time.

People are paying their respects on a job well done :thumbup:

No need to feel overwhelmed or embarrassed.

As some one has already said its an honour when the original artist posts on here.

And I'm sure people will want to hear the unreleased title.

Welcome aboard.

This is really overwhelming! I cannot believe the response here on something I had no idea about. Absolutely unbelievable and almost embarrassing. I again would like to say thank you to all and I'll continue to post here as long as you'll have me. This is all so new to me. If there's anyone who'd like to hear an unreleased title and the Musicor release and if someone can assist me on how to post music, I'll certainly do it. Not sure if anyone would want to hear them though.

d

Social source share

Guest rayskim

Fantastic to have you on SS. Thanks for the memories.

ps If you are thinking of unloading any of that vinyl I will send you my address haha :thumbup::(

Keep well.

Social source share

I sold the acetate about 4 years ago via Manships auction, it went for about £500 ish :lol:

https://www.raresoulman.co.uk/d/97289/STEWART%2C+DARRYL

Edited by richard
Social source share

Just goes to show, doesn't it? The talk of unreleased material & photos has me salivating. :-)

I'm very partial to Soul ballads too. It ain't only about shakin' yer ass, as Marvin Gaye would have said...

Wonder what Dave Godin would make of all this? :-)

How could we walk Darryl through the uploading process?

Edited by macca
Social source share

Hi Darryl,

Name It and Claim It has been released several times over here, certainly on a vinyl LP and also on CD.

Did you ever get to hear about them being released?

Your comment "I would have come over". Well to back you on that, it is never too late. You would receive a fantastic welcome.

Name It and Claim It, is the epitome of the music we have loved in the UK for over 40 years.

It would be really interesting to learn even more about the writers, artists, musicians and producers of that time. I think you might be surprised at the depth of knowledge Soul fans in the UK have of those golden years in NYC, LA, Detroit, Chicago and so on.

I am pleased you have learnt of your popularity in the UK. Your son deserves a big pat on the back. I bet he is really proud!

Thanks and good luck!

Brian

Social source share

Hi Steve. The "A" side of the Musicor title was "You Must Know Magic" which I thought was my best recording. And believe it or not, I just found a couple of copies of both the Wand and Musicor 45's. I have a second pressing of Name It and it is actually spelled correctly. Still don't know how it was released with the incorrect title. No "spell check" in those days.

d

That's the one "You must know magic" - pure quality.......had also forgotten about the mis spelt Wand as well.

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

d

Hi Darryl. I also like "you must know magic" as my favorite record of yours. Do you remember who the backing singers were -- were they a group that recorded on their own?

Social source share

I'll try to answer some of the questions; as much as I can remember. The background singers on Name It were the writers (Ray Dahrouge - who I still see from time to time, and Billy Terrell); a 3 girl group (wish I could remember their names) who never really recorded, but OH MY! could they sing, and me! The backup singers on Magic were again the same writers and me. I'll try to upload Magic in the near future. We used union studio musicians on both sessions. I wish I could remember the names; the only one I can recall is Richie Tee (either piano or percussion; I can't remember which).

Name It and Claim It was actually the "B" side of the Wand release. A ballad, Cross My Heart was the A. And Magic was the A side of the Musicor release. I only recorded the 2 songs during the Wand session, but 3 during Musicor (at their studios). The unreleased title was PattyAnn I Guess I'm Always Gonna Love You. It's sorta Four Tops like. (On a sad side note, I'm sure everyone has heard of the passing of Levi Stubbs, lead singer with the Tops. What a voice!!!) I'll try to upload that one as well. Although I'm not sure of the reaction.

Also, I had no idea of the popularity of my record outside of the US (didn't do much here). I am still amazed at the response I'm getting here. I received a message telling me how to upload mp3's (thank you).

I'll return soon.

d

Edited by Darryl
Social source share

Hi Daryll

Welcome to Soul Source and thanks for sharing your memories of the recording sessions.

Did you get any royalties / payment from the sales of the Uk released album which included your northern track 'Name it'

The Lp must have sold a lot of copies!

regards

Paul

Social source share

Hi Daryll

Welcome to Soul Source and thanks for sharing your memories of the recording sessions.

Did you get any royalties / payment from the sales of the Uk released album which included your northern track 'Name it'

The Lp must have sold a lot of copies!

regards

Paul

No. No royalties or payments of any kind. And I had no idea it had ever been released in the UK. Just knowing it was such a hit is payment enough. Just sorry I couldn't have made an appearance during that time. I think it would have been fun.

Social source share

I can just see "Name It and Claim It" becoming one of the northern scene's big re-activations in 2009 !!! yes.gif

Now that would REALLY be amazing!!! Thanks.

d

Social source share

Now that would REALLY be amazing!!! Thanks.

d

Hey Darryl!

A big hello, especially from the UK. I don't have the Wand 45 but do have the UK L.P 'Solid Soul Sensations'. 'Name It And Claim It' is a fabulous piece of uptempo Soul (just the way the Brits loved it!)

So, come on, how about a nice photo from the 60's!!?? biggrin.gif

Get a reply started in this thread, click on the 'browse' button at the bottom right hand...get your photo from your documents or wherever, click the 'upload' button then go to the 'manage current attachments' click on the green + sign and it should add the photo into the reply. I think that's right?

Edited by Soul-Slider
Social source share

Hey Darryl!

A big hello, especially from the UK. I don't have the Wand 45 but do have the UK L.P 'Solid Soul Sensations'. 'Name It And Claim It' is a fabulous piece of uptempo Soul (just the way the Brits loved it!)

So, come on, how about a nice photo from the 60's!!?? biggrin.gif

Get a reply started in this thread, click on the 'browse' button at the bottom right hand...get your photo from your documents or wherever, click the 'upload' button then go to the 'manage current attachments' click on the green + sign and it should add the photo into the reply. I think that's right?

Ok. You've convinced me. I just have to find it. Hope you folks won't be too disappointed. I still can't believe this.

d

Social source share

Hi Darryl

Im sure if you search around the clips near your record on youtube will will hear many records that have a similar beat etc to NIACI.

Obviously it has been put in the RARE SOUL/NORTHERN SOUL category. This genre of music is slowly gathering pace back in the USA and for sure you have at least a few thousand fans there from NewYork to Florida to LA where established groups of fans exist.

At a well attended soul event, usually 250 to 1000 people (maybe 20 or more going off around Europe on most weekends) if your record got played, it would fill the dancefloor and the vast majority of people at the event and especially those dancing would be singing the song word by word.

Several stars like yourself have had the pleasure of being present at some of these events and obviously could not believe it without seeing it themselves.

I sure hope you get a chance to see this for yourself in the near future.

Kind Regards

Ed

Social source share

Guest brianhorton

Ok. You've convinced me. I just have to find it. Hope you folks won't be too disappointed. I still can't believe this.

d

Darryl, Glad to see you are finally seeing how revered your "Name it and claim it" 45 has been over this side of the pond for the best part of 40 years !, youv'e made a lot of people happy over all these years dancing in the U.k to your record, so better late than never!Talking of the backing singers on the record, especially Billy terrell, i met Billy three years ago in Philadelphia and he was amazed at the "northern soul" scene and the knowledge we brits had of his writing producing and singing career, bit like yourself he was staggered to say the least, still got Billy's email address if you want to say Hi

Regards, Glenn.

Social source share

d

Darryl,

We're happy to have you posting on here, thank you very much for the pleasure you have given us all over the years.

All the very best regards

Harpo

Edited by harpo1
Social source share

Guest mel brat

The background singers on Name It were the writers (Ray Dahrouge - who I still see from time to time, and Billy Terrell)...

Hi Darryl.

Perhaps you may not know that Ray Dahrouge is something of a legend among Soul fans here, for his many fine compositions. Tell him "Hi", and perhaps he might care to "drop in" on Soulsource also?? :thumbsup:

Best regards, "Mel"

Social source share

hi DARYL, great to see you here, the l.p everyone has told you about 'solid soul sensations' actually sold so well it charted pop, l.p compiler IAN LEVINE is on this site maybee he can add something, sorry you never recieved royalties and you've said gratitude is enough but it was a top 30 HIT. if pye records had released that single everyone here will agree it would have sold lots of copies, so next time you are in the bar you can say 'hey fellas let me tell you 'bout my european hits'! :thumbsup:

thanks for the memories..

Edited by ric-tic
Social source share

Darryl, Glad to see you are finally seeing how revered your "Name it and claim it" 45 has been over this side of the pond for the best part of 40 years !, youv'e made a lot of people happy over all these years dancing in the U.k to your record, so better late than never!Talking of the backing singers on the record, especially Billy terrell, i met Billy three years ago in Philadelphia and he was amazed at the "northern soul" scene and the knowledge we brits had of his writing producing and singing career, bit like yourself he was staggered to say the least, still got Billy's email address if you want to say Hi

Regards, Glenn.

I'd love Billy's email address. I haven't seen him in well over 30 years and it would be good to get in touch. He was (and probably still is) very gifted and he and Ray (Dahrouge) together were a tremendous song writing team.

d

Social source share

Hi Darryl.

Perhaps you may not know that Ray Dahrouge is something of a legend among Soul fans here, for his many fine compositions. Tell him "Hi", and perhaps he might care to "drop in" on Soulsource also?? :thumbsup:

Best regards, "Mel"

Mel,

I will certainly tell Ray. He, like myself, may not know of his "fame". And I will certainly tell him of this site. Just thinking back.....man....Ray could really sing, but never really recorded himself.

d

Social source share

hi DARYL, great to see you here, the l.p everyone has told you about 'solid soul sensations' actually sold so well it charted pop, l.p compiler IAN LEVINE is on this site maybee he can add something, sorry you never recieved royalties and you've said gratitude is enough but it was a top 30 HIT. if pye records had released that single everyone here will agree it would have sold lots of copies, so next time you are in the bar you can say 'hey fellas let me tell you 'bout my european hits'! wink.gif

thanks for the memories..

Hey ric-tic! Thanks for the info. One question I have is how did Name It make it to the UK in the first place? Maybe Ian can lend some insight on this. I'm really curious to know. And really...no problem about the royalties, although my granddaughter (yup, I'm a grandpa) thinks we should just sue somebody so we can get our millions :thumbsup: . She's only 8 and her biggest wish right now is to ride in a Limo. :unsure: .

One thing I'd be interested in is trying to attend one of these Soul Source get togethers. Is there a schedule of events that I could take a look at? I think it would be fun to try and make one or more of these. I might even try to get Ray Dahrouge and Billy Terrell (song writers) to come with me.

d

Social source share

Hey ric-tic! Thanks for the info. One question I have is how did Name It make it to the UK in the first place? Maybe Ian can lend some insight on this. I'm really curious to know. And really...no problem about the royalties, although my granddaughter (yup, I'm a grandpa) thinks we should just sue somebody so we can get our millions :thumbsup: . She's only 8 and her biggest wish right now is to ride in a Limo. :unsure: .

One thing I'd be interested in is trying to attend one of these Soul Source get togethers. Is there a schedule of events that I could take a look at? I think it would be fun to try and make one or more of these. I might even try to get Ray Dahrouge and Billy Terrell (song writers) to come with me.

d

Darryl,

Billy Terrell and Ray Dahrouge themselves are also extremely well known names in soul music circles !!!

Billy is the man behind Benny Troy's "I Wanna Give You Tomorrow" on De Lite and Ray is the guy who wrote "I Can See Him Making Love To You" for the Anderson Brothers, just to name a few, and had records out on themselves such as Ray Dahrouge's great "Lifetime Guarantee of Love".

Think the three of you should come out on tour and do a Soul Roadshow !!!

Social source share

Hi Darryl,

I just sent you a pm about NIACI being on an old Kent CD which is still available. Ray and Billy are great guys who wrote some top songs for Debbie Taylor and The Persians for GWP. I'm sorting out the publishing for them on this and a few other songs but artist royalties are harder to pick up. I'll send you the US licensee's details too.

Cheers and thanks for a wonderful record,

Ady

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Ray and Billy are great guys who wrote some top songs for Debbie Taylor and The Persians for GWP....

Ady

Love the GWP/GRAPEVINE stuff too! :thumbsup:

Also, Charles Drain recorded a terrific version of "Lifetime Guarantee Of Love" on RCA which I believe predates Ray Dahrouge's own cut of the song.

Social source share

I think this is wonderful, full stop. Soulful Detroit has some artists who pop in from time to time, Spyder Turner springs to mind. It'd be wonderful to have people like Billy & Ray on here (the more the merrier!) as they could offer us so much insight into the recording process, with stories, anecdotes etc.

The records might not 'have done much' in their country of origin but they certainly took on a new dimension in the UK.

Sometimes, as collectors, I think we tend to overlook the huge debt we owe to the artists.

Darryl: NI&CI came to be played in the UK because prominent club DJs like Ian Levine went on record hunting trips to the States in the early 70's. Anything that looked likely to fit the bill, i.e. label, writer/producer credits, that driving beat etc was eagerly snapped up, often for a dollar or less, & brought back to the UK to be plugged at the major venues of the day. Many of these achieved that 'monster status' among dancers & collectors. Am I right guys?

Social source share

Just like to echo everyones comments and thanks.

Name it and claim it was one of the first records i heard and danced to at our local youth club in edinburgh and it helped start my love affair with this wonderful music.

So Darryl thanks again and if you d come over i am sure you will get a warm welcome.

Roddy

Social source share

Hi Darryl,

I just sent you a pm about NIACI being on an old Kent CD which is still available. Ray and Billy are great guys who wrote some top songs for Debbie Taylor and The Persians for GWP. I'm sorting out the publishing for them on this and a few other songs but artist royalties are harder to pick up. I'll send you the US licensee's details too.

Cheers and thanks for a wonderful record,

Ady

Received your PM's. Thank you for the information. I have the 45's by Debbie Taylor and The Persions. I actually was at a couple of Debbie's recording sessions with Billy and Ray. George Kerr was the producer and a background singer on those sessions. George also produced some of the older O'Jays hits as well.

d

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!