Darryl Stewart Soon To Visit Site

macca

Hi Darryl.

I would estimate that your NIACI record has been heard by at least 500,000 rare soul lovers since it got re-discovered. Scepter/Wand had some absolute gems released, and even if not commercially 'big time' in most cases, they have a worldwide following.

There's another thread on here about a soul event in Chicago in a few weeks time. Although I will not be going, Im sure if you could get there (come on Mr Roberts, please ensure the needful!!) and experience the warmth and dedication of those who are going, you would understand much more how artists like yourself created a 'way of life' for many people.

Keep the faith, and I hope you could get up there to get the adulation you deserve.

Ed

Social source share

• Replies 140
  • Views 13.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Hi Darryl.

I would estimate that your NIACI record has been heard by at least 500,000 rare soul lovers since it got re-discovered. Scepter/Wand had some absolute gems released, and even if not commercially 'big time' in most cases, they have a worldwide following.

There's another thread on here about a soul event in Chicago in a few weeks time. Although I will not be going, Im sure if you could get there (come on Mr Roberts, please ensure the needful!!) and experience the warmth and dedication of those who are going, you would understand much more how artists like yourself created a 'way of life' for many people.

Keep the faith, and I hope you could get up there to get the adulation you deserve.

Ed

Thanks for the information Ed. Can someone provide me a little more information about the Chicago event. When? Where? Cost for attending? Nearby hotel? I would like to try to make it there.

Thanks,

Darryl

Social source share

Thanks for the information Ed. Can someone provide me a little more information about the Chicago event. When? Where? Cost for attending? Nearby hotel? I would like to try to make it there.

Thanks,

Darryl

Here's the info for the Chicago event Darryl.

You can either PM them on here: the golden 101, or just contact them direct via the website.

https://www.goldsoul.co.uk/event_pages/usa2009.htm

Social source share

Hi Giulio. Thank you for the compliments. I guess I started singing as a youngster. Somehow I was able to always carry a tune which was the extent of my training :lol: . I never received anything formal, so I'll have to say it was just a gift from God. My cousin, who was 7 years older than I, had a group in high school and I use to try and sing along with them at their practices. I was only around 8 or 9 at the time and pretty much was just getting in the way. I guess that's really where it started. It just progressed from there. I formed a group in high school (never recorded anything) and another in college (no recordings there either). I just loved singing. After coming home from college, a friend of mine sent Billy and Ray to my house (Ray I knew from the area and from his group Ray and the Darchaes (sp)). So after singing a few songs for them, we got together and started working on getting some recordings done.

I was never much of a writer; just a line here or there, but nothing significant. (My son is a prolific writer and has some great tunes recorded. I don't want to mention anything without his permission. Let's just say that he does extremely well. He's currently in St. Barts in the caribbean for the next 6 weeks on a working vacation). If I recall correctly, Name It was completed in 2 recording sessions. The first took about 4 hours, most of which was used laying down the rhythm tracks. My vocals only took a few takes (I think there were 4 for Name It and 2 for Cross My Heart). The second session, which I did not attend until it was over was to record the "sweeteners" as they were called in those days; the horns, strings, etc. I got to to studio to work with the final mix.

These sessions were independent recordings (we had no record deal at the time of the sessions). We then shopped the tracks to several major labels at the time. Florence Greenberg, the owner of the Sceptor / Wand labels, offered us the best deal. The rest, as they say, is history as far as NIACI is concerned.

Hope this answered some of your questions. And thanks again.

d

yes, it certainly did! :D

thanx for taking the time to answer my questions and please keep posting.

Social source share

yes, it certainly did! :thumbsup:

thanx for taking the time to answer my questions and please keep posting.

I just finished speaking with Ray Dahroughe. We're going to try to get together this weekend with Billy Terrell. Ray knows about the site and I'm going to try and convince him to to take a look. If he doesn't, I'll try to keep everyone up to date on their travels and what they've been doing. I know Ray had a Christmas CD released as well as a few other songs by some other artists. I'll hopefully have much more to add in the next few days.

d

Social source share

Guest brianhorton

I just finished speaking with Ray Dahroughe. We're going to try to get together this weekend with Billy Terrell. Ray knows about the site and I'm going to try and convince him to to take a look. If he doesn't, I'll try to keep everyone up to date on their travels and what they've been doing. I know Ray had a Christmas CD released as well as a few other songs by some other artists. I'll hopefully have much more to add in the next few days.

d

Darryl,

Why dont you get Ray & Billy to meet up with you in Chicago next month for the soul week, it would be great to meet Billy again and you and Ray can see what all this northern soul is about.

Social source share

pur soul darryl welcome.Billy.

Thanks for the compliment. Just in case anyone is interested, I am meeting with Ray Dahroughe on Monday (possibly Billy Terrell if he can make it) and I'll be sure to show them this site. I'm sure they will be extremely pleased to learn how popular they are. I just had a very long conversation with Ray about some of old recordings by the Persians, Hesitations, Ray, Goodman, and Brown, the Manhattans, Debbie Taylor and others. I'll try to get him to post something in this thread when he's here. Here's Ray's MySpace page:

https://www.myspace.com/RAYDAHROUGEMUSIC

Social source share

Hi,

Ray did a remake of the 'I can see him making love to you baby' himself, and it was a decent uptempo version, but the Anderson Brothers original was ground breaking.

This record was significant in that along with several others of the same style it brought about a change in the rare soul scene.

That change is still contested over 25 years later!!

Wish him well.

Ed

Social source share

I just had a very long conversation with Ray about some of old recordings by the Persians, Hesitations, Ray, Goodman, and Brown, the Manhattans, Debbie Taylor and others.

Hi Darryl,

It may surprise you and indeed Ray, to learn that all those artists you have mentioned had discs released in Japan around the time of their initial releases!

Flynny ph34r.gif

Social source share

Hi Darryl,

It may surprise you and indeed Ray, to learn that all those artists you have mentioned had discs released in Japan around the time of their initial releases!

Flynny :shades:

Hi Flynny. Thanks for the info. I met with Ray today for a few hours to talk about old times. He should be visiting the site soon. I helped him set up an account while he was here. He is just as amazed as I about the popularity of his songs.

d

Social source share

Hi Flynny. Thanks for the info. I met with Ray today for a few hours to talk about old times. He should be visiting the site soon. I helped him set up an account while he was here. He is just as amazed as I about the popularity of his songs.

d

Ray had some problems with the registration for the site. I think we've got it all straightened out. So hopefully he should be on soon. I will tell you that he types in all caps.

Social source share

Ray had some problems with the registration for the site. I think we've got it all straightened out. So hopefully he should be on soon. I will tell you that he types in all caps.

Ray has started posting. You'll see him listed as RAYD

Social source share

Mel,

I will certainly tell Ray. He, like myself, may not know of his "fame". And I will certainly tell him of this site. Just thinking back.....man....Ray could really sing, but never really recorded himself.

d

Hi Darryl

Welcome to Soul Source... Just been in conversation with my husband re Ray Dahrouge and did you know Ray actually cut a version of the Anderson Brothers tune "I can see him making love to you" that came out over here on 12" circa 1978?? My husband extends his best wishes and would love to meet up with you if you decide to pay us a vist in the UK.

Best Wishes

Julie and Dave Molloy

Social source share

Hi Darryl

Welcome to Soul Source... Just been in conversation with my husband re Ray Dahrouge and did you know Ray actually cut a version of the Anderson Brothers tune "I can see him making love to you" that came out over here on 12" circa 1978?? My husband extends his best wishes and would love to meet up with you if you decide to pay us a vist in the UK.

Best Wishes

Julie and Dave Molloy

Hi. Yes I knew about Ray's recording. He's had so many done over the years, it's hard to keep track at this point. We were talking about a possible visit to the UK in the future, Ray, Billy Terrell, and myself. Not sure how soon though, but we'd all like to meet with the Northern Soul family. It truly is amazing.

Regards,

Darryl

Social source share

hello Darrell welcome to soul source from Gloucester

Leon

Hi Leon. I sent you a PM about calling in on your show on Wednesday from 7 - 9 pm on 96.6 Gloucester FM Radion. I'll try to call in this Wednesday if that's ok. Hope you won't mind the interruption.

Social source share

Darryl - simply thank you.

Sometimes isn't this a great site :thumbsup: . Love it that you're out there and you can get a sense of what this means to a lot of people. Dean.

This is a wonderul site. And thank you for remembering me. It really is so very humbling. Darryl

Social source share

Hello Darryl and a big heart felt welcome , i cannot begin to imagine how artist's like yourself must feel to find out a record recorded way back is still active and loved by so many . Indeed sir it is us that are humbled to hear from you . it would be nice to see you over this side of the pond in the near future.

Tony MAK

Social source share

Guest Darryl

Hello Darryl and a big heart felt welcome , i cannot begin to imagine how artist's like yourself must feel to find out a record recorded way back is still active and loved by so many . Indeed sir it is us that are humbled to hear from you . it would be nice to see you over this side of the pond in the near future.

Tony MAK

Hi Tony (MAK). Actually Ray Dahrouge and I have been talking about trying to get together to get to one of the conventions, whether here on in the UK. It still amazes me that after all these years I am remembered by so many. I never knew, nor would I have guessed at this reaction to my small contribution to the music world. Thanks so much to all of you who have thought so much of me. It certainly brings a tear to an old man's eyes.....what a wonder!

Social source share

Guest Glawsters Best

Hi Leon. I sent you a PM about calling in on your show on Wednesday from 7 - 9 pm on 96.6 Gloucester FM Radion. I'll try to call in this Wednesday if that's ok. Hope you won't mind the interruption.

No problem Darryl I've pm's you back

Leon

Social source share

Guest Darryl

How lovely is this... its when this site comes into its own... A BIG welcome Darry!.... Its a pleasure to hear your stories.... I can see the vynl collectors watering at the mouth wondering what gems you have at home! ha...No doubt you will get a call soon form one of the prommoters on here to come and visit, I do hope so... x

love and grattitude

lorn a xx

Familytree...don't know how I missed this one, but thanks for the welcome. I do have quite a collection of vinyl and actually just purchased a turntable that will allow me to copy them to my computer. I'll try to find some of the rare stuff I have to post here. And I'd love to get a call from one of the promoters..and I'd love to come for a visit. What an experience it would be for me. And it should be me expressing my gratitude to you and all the wonderful people on this site. Thank you.

Darryl

Social source share

Guest Darryl

Well, I think I have finally figured out where my wife stashed the promo picture of me from my Musicor days. As soon as I dig it out, I'll post it here. Just one small request............no laughing. :wicked:

Social source share

Well, I think I have finally figured out where my wife stashed the promo picture of me from my Musicor days. As soon as I dig it out, I'll post it here. Just one small request............no laughing. :rolleyes:
if you saw pictures of some of us in the 60ts Darryl.....jeez :wicked:
Social source share

Guest Darryl

Leon

Hi. Left you another PM about your show. Had a question regarding the time change here in the US. We pushed time ahead 1 hour and I'm not sure if you do the same. If not, you're only 4 hours ahead. Please let me know.

d

Social source share

Guest Darryl

Leon

Leon,

I'll be calling in tomorrow at 8:00 PM your time; 4:00 pm mine. Hope all is well.

d

Social source share

Guest Darryl

Ok. I found a picture of myself from my high school yearbook. Please......no laughing....from 1965. :lol: Here's the link to the site where it's posted as I have no more upload space.

Darryl

Darryl Stewart Photo - 1965

Edited by Darryl
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Ok. I found a picture of myself from my high school yearbook. Please......no laughing....from 1965. :D Here's the link to the site where it's posted as I have no more upload space.

Darryl

darrylstewart1965.jpg

Wow! Really great to see a photo of you Darryl.

I think these earlier sixties photos are great, they just have something timeless about them. For me they bring the artist "alive" and not just a name on a label.

Would be interesting to see a modern photo of you Darryl as you are nowadays if you can. Doesn't matter with the space limit as one of us could post it

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Guest Darryl

Wow! Really great to see a photo of you Darryl.

I think these earlier sixties photos are great, they just have something timeless about them. For me they bring the artist "alive" and not just a name on a label.

Would be interesting to see a modern photo of you Darryl as you are nowadays if you can. Doesn't matter with the space limit as one of us could post it

Thanks. I cut Name It only a few years later. I'm still looking for the promo photo from my Musicor days. I'll post a newer one soon. Regards, Darryl

Social source share

Guest Darryl

Darryl

Are you sure you are not related to Smokey Robinson? What a look-a-like.

Ed

Ed,

My nickname in college....you guessed it....Smokey. :)

Social source share

Well done Darryl.

The jigsaw is finally coming together.

Let's hope the Musicor one turns up too.

While we're waiting, you can post up Darryl 2009!

We can then add them all to the artists gallery. :-)

M

p.s. First pic now uploaded to artists gallery! albums -> galleries -> artists.

Edited by macca
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Darryl

Hey just come across this thread.... welcome Darryl..

what a blinding read this thread has been.. :thumbsup:

Thank you. I'm not sure if anyone would be going, but I'm leaving on a short cruise out of New York City tomorrow, April 4, on the Norwegian Gem. If any Soul Source members are on board, I'd love to meet up with you. I know this may be a little 'far fetched,' but just thought I'd mention.

Also, I had the pleasure a couple of weeks back to finally see my son play at BB Kings in New York City to celebrate Sly Stone's 66th birthday. Sly's original drummer, Greg Errico, played along with several other members. And what a thrill (and embarrassment) for me when my son called me on stage and had me sing along with him to Sly's ThankYouForLettinMeBeMyself. I even got a small round of applause. Sure had been a long time. Anyway......sorry for going on about my son's exploits. Guess I'm still living my dream through him.

And thanks again to everyone who's been so very kind to me.

Darryl

Edited by Darryl
Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Thank you. I'm not sure if anyone would be going, but I'm leaving on a short cruise out of New York City tomorrow, April 4, on the Norwegian Gem. If any Soul Source members are on board, I'd love to meet up with you. I know this may be a little 'far fetched,' but just thought I'd mention.

Also, I had the pleasure a couple of weeks back to finally see my son play at BB Kings in New York City to celebrate Sly Stone's 66th birthday. Sly's original drummer, Greg Errico, played along with several other members. And what a thrill (and embarrassment) for me when my son called me on stage and had me sing along with him to Sly's ThankYouForLettinMeBeMyself. I even got a small round of applause. Sure had been a long time. Anyway......sorry for going on about my son's exploits. Guess I'm still living my dream through him.

And thanks again to everyone who's been so very kind to me.

Darryl

Darryl - you're a very cool dad :shades: Jo xx

Social source share

Guest Darryl

Darryl - you're a very cool dad :unsure: Jo xx

Thank you. Soulcentral134, I left you a PM with the info you requested. Hope it answered your question. Also, thank you for posting Magic on youtube.

Darryl

Social source share

• 9 years later...
Guest Pat Lando

I have been trying to locate copies of two of Darryl records on Wand - Must know magic and Cross my heart, both monster hits in the vinyl collectors market place. I am actually working for a large vinyl producer located in Toronto and would love to license both records for re-issue. Hoping Darryl can get in-touch to get the ball rolling.

Social source share

20 hours ago, Pat Lando said:

I have been trying to locate copies of two of Darryl records on Wand - Must know magic and Cross my heart, both monster hits in the vinyl collectors market place. I am actually working for a large vinyl producer located in Toronto and would love to license both records for re-issue. Hoping Darryl can get in-touch to get the ball rolling.

He was active on his youtube page (alt recording of NIACI) about a year ago so I've tried to contact him on there for you. Any luck hearing from him Pat?

Edited by Soul-Slider
Social source share

21 hours ago, Pat Lando said:

You can try to contact Darryl by sending a PM via this site,Pat.

Click on profile link, he is a member here on Soul Source.

@Darryl

Edited by Soulsides
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!